Offensive line is Chiefs’ biggest weakness

[quote][size=5][b]Offensive line is Chiefs’ biggest weakness[/b][/size]
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Brian Waters has but one wish for the many critics of the beleaguered Chiefs offensive line.

Judge the line, he asked, when the Chiefs are playing with a lead, something they’ve rarely done this season.

“We’re an easy target right now,” said Waters, a three-time Pro Bowl left guard. “When you lose Hall of Fame guys, people always presume there’s going to be some weaknesses and it’s going to be a down year.”

Perhaps the offensive line would be playing better if the Chiefs didn’t make a habit of falling behind, something that makes any team one-dimensional. One thing is for certain: The Chiefs have no bigger weakness than their line.

The Chiefs knew this would be a time of transition for their offensive line when in the last two years perennial Pro Bowlers Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired. They actually planned for this, but it doesn’t appear so now.

If the Chiefs are guilty of anything, it’s a failure to accurately assess how fast some of the remaining blockers would decline and of making poor draft decisions.

The Chiefs knew their line, despite the loss of Shields and Roaf, was aging, but they thought it as currently constructed would at least be adequate. Waters, guard John Welbourn, center Casey Wiegmann and tackles Damion McIntosh, Kyle Turley and Chris Terry are all veterans.

“One of the things I felt good about going into the season is that between McIntosh, Waters, Wiegmann, Welbourn, Turley and Terry, all of them have started for over 80 games,” president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “That’s five seasons of playing offensive line. They have experience.”

That experience hasn’t translated into success. Turley and Terry at right tackle have struggled after missing time, Turley because of injuries and Terry because of off-field problems.

Welbourn at right guard has slowed markedly. The smallish Wiegmann is miscast at center in an offense based around the power running game. The Chiefs have been pleased with left tackle McIntosh, a free-agent addition, and Waters.

It would help if they could pluck able replacements off their bench, but other than Turley or Terry, all the Chiefs have are young players in Will Svitek, Rudy Niswanger and Herb Taylor.

The Chiefs evidently don’t believe any are ready for full-time duty.

Since drafting John Tait in the first round of the 1999 draft, the Chiefs have selected nine offensive linemen. None developed into a dependable player, and only Svitek and Taylor remain.

Another one-time draft choice, Tre Stallings, is on the practice squad.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs in 2004 released Shawnee Mission Northwest graduate Ryan Lilja, now a starter for Super Bowl champion Indianapolis. That year, they kept instead a rookie named Kevin Sampson, released by the Chiefs this last summer and now out of football.

“It’s hard to protect and keep everybody,” Peterson said. “The four young guys that we have give me a lot of hope for the future. They’re all good, young football players, and they can and will help us as we go on.”

The Chiefs considered selecting an offensive tackle, Joe Staley of Central Michigan, in the first round of this year’s draft. They instead opted for wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, and Staley was chosen a few picks later by San Francisco, where he is a starter.

It’s hard to argue that Bowe was a mistake, not with Bowe leading rookies in receiving yards and touchdowns. But it continued the Chiefs’ pattern of offensive-line neglect. They haven’t drafted a lineman in the first three rounds since they grabbed Tait.[/quote]

[url="http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/313897.html"]http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/313897.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Players on the Chiefs’ offensive line[/b][/size]

LT Damion McIntosh
He’s been everything the Chiefs hoped when they signed him as a free agent. He’s solidified an important position.

LG Brian Waters
A three-time Pro Bowler who has at times been affected by the turmoil around him.

C Casey Wiegmann
He’s not built to stand up to the massive opposing defensive tackles like the ones he’s faced in recent weeks.

RG John Welbourn
The Chiefs are concerned his skills are declining. He never ran well, but now his lack of mobility is holding the Chiefs back.

RT Kyle Turley
Lost his starting spot because of injury two weeks ago. He hasn’t been the same since onset of back problems.

RT Chris Terry
Turley’s replacement was once a high-quality starter for Seattle and Carolina. But he last started a game in 2004.[/quote]

[url="http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/314227.html"]http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/314227.html[/url]

this is ironically good news, the only way a 4 man run with pathetic linebackers can get any pressure is o-line breakdowns, geathers and smith are skilled eonugh to get around shabby olinemen, sadly we have played some pretty good olines, and without linebackers your screwed, hopefully we can get some magical front 4 pressure with the zero threat we have at LB.

[quote name='Jason' post='567651' date='Oct 12 2007, 01:09 PM']So, how many sacks do the Bengals get against the Chiefs?[/quote]

13, new team record.

geathers gets 11, and peko and smith each get one.

:mellow:

ps: sure glad i missed this game last year and didnt go wearing my geather jersey, in addition, i hope Peko doesnt hurt anyone in this game, as i dont want a crazy mob of kansas citians chasing me.

In order for the Bengals' D to have some success Sunday, Justin and Geathers have to play well, and put some pressure on Huard and/or Croyle. They played well last year vs. a better Chief's OL, so I expect to see more of same this year.

Conversely, Levi is playing opposite Jared Allen, a guy that's given him trouble in the past... and Stacy Andrews is playing against a guy that can bring heat in Tamba Hali. I do think the inside of the Chief DL is ordinary (a few good rooks, but they are rookies), so with EG back, and Whit and Bobbie in the middle, I look for the Bengals to have success running the ball up the gut. If Levi and Stacy do a good job on pass protection, I expect TJ and Chad to smoke Law and Surtain, who don't run or cover as well as they used to.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='567671' date='Oct 12 2007, 06:38 PM']this thread took a homer turn real quick, i like it.

i like arrowhead, should be fun, i fly out late saturday, out of columbus, skybus, good times...

its a cool stadium but old as all hell and needs torn down.[/quote]
Bring home a W :contract:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='567673' date='Oct 12 2007, 01:40 PM']Bring home a W :contract:[/quote]

last time i was there was two years ago, kitna played. we lost 31-3 i think....

i got my same seats......

hmm come to think of it, im bringing lots of bad karma

tho my sister is meeting me there.... and last game her and i went to was the browns away game last year and we shut them out in thier house... so i think that offsets bad kitna karma...

:mellow: i hope.

and last time i drove, this time im flying...

im 5 rows off the field cheifs sideline above player entrace.. look for fat guy wearing #94

[quote name='GoBengals' post='567655' date='Oct 12 2007, 01:15 PM']13, new team record.

geathers gets 11, and peko and smith each get one.

:mellow:

ps: sure glad i missed this game last year and didnt go wearing my geather jersey, in addition, i hope Peko doesnt hurt anyone in this game, as i dont want a crazy mob of kansas citians chasing me.[/quote]

Here's hoping Peko does some serious damage up the gut against an undersized center. I'm sure you are more than willing to take one ([color="#FF0000"]crazy mob of kansas citians chasing me[/color]) for the TEAM! :D

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='567747' date='Oct 12 2007, 03:22 PM']if we can't pick up at least 4 sacks this week then that will be the final nail in the coffin, but if we get like 6 then i'll say our D has turned it around[/quote]

I just want a win, how we get it I'll worry about afterwards.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='567747' date='Oct 12 2007, 04:22 PM']if we can't pick up at least 4 sacks this week then that will be the final nail in the coffin, but if we get like 6 then i'll say our D has turned it around[/quote]

what?

whos gonna get those? we have no LB's... unless the oline falls asleep thats not gonna happen

Archived