26 members have voted

1. 1. who would you draft?

• mike hart
    • glenn dorsey
    • james laurinitus
    • o-line
    • linebacker
    • other

if we go top 10 then we need serious help.

next year we need to cut levi, rudi, and chris perry and free up some cap for FA, i like the idea of hart, irons, and watson.

we need a stud DT, and you already know about linebacker and there are some good ones out there " little animal" being

the first to come to mind

what do you think?

Even though it's still VERY early, I'll add my two cents.

The biggest issue on the defense is the complete lack of a pass rush by the ends and tackles. Smith is gone, and we have nobody to replace him. Pressure by the ends makes the secondaries job 50x easier. Here are some of the elite defensive lineman that may be available in this draft:

DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
- He may be the best prospect overall in the draft, and unless we end up drafted top 5 (looking more and more likely) he won't be available. He's been called the next Warren Sapp. He is a beast of an under tackle, and that's exactly what we need. I have watched him play extensively, and let me tell you, the dude flat out makes plays. On run plays he is ALWAYS in the tackle, and constantly stops the play before it starts. On pass plays he is always double to triple teamed, and still manages to always get a hand on the QB.

DE Calais Campbell, Miami FL
- Only a junior, so he may or may not declare, but the dude has as much talent as any of the elite ends in the last 5-10 years. He's 6'8 and over 280 pounds, and constantly makes plays in the backfield as seen by 20.5 tackles for loss last season. I haven't really seen him play much, but I like what I read. Most likely a top 5 pick.

DE Quentin Groves, Auburn
- He's not quite the elite prospect as the first two, but he definitely has the talent to go top 10-15. At 6'3 and 254 lbs, he's a little undersized at end, but with reported 4.5 speed, you can overlook size bit. He is basically the same type of player that Pollack was, and could line up at linebacker in certain situations. I have seen him play a couple of times, and he was in on about every run play I saw, and put a good rush on the quarterback.

DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
- Another undertackle prospect who specializes in pass rush. He is very undersized at 6'1 and 285, but apparently he dominates the games. It seems like most draft experts thing he will go top 15-20.

DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
- Jackson is another junior who could declare for the draft. He's a huge end at 6'5 290 lbs, but with 8 sacks last year he still puts a good rush on the QB. His specialty though is dominating the run game. I have seen varying opinions on Jackson, from top 10 pick and the best end available in the draft all the way to a 2nd round pick.

DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
- Extremely athletic junior that could go anywhere between top 15-20. He pretty much single handidly beat Ohio State last year in the championship game. He's got pretty good size at 6'4 260.

DE Chris Long, Virginia
- A lot of expert are REALLY high on this guy, like top 10 pick high. But with only 4 sacks last season I don't see the hype. He's too close to Justin Smith for my comfort. He has good size and athletic ability, and his dad is Howie Long so he has the pedigree. I wouldn't hate it if we drafted him, but I don't think he is the elite pass rusher we need.

Archived