Lose the HATE ..

Guys, first off ... let me just say good game and I for one and extremely happy that nobody got seriously hurt. I don't have the heart to "pile on" with the intent to antagonize an already bad situation. I read some of the posts from the more veteran loyal Bengal fans and I would never want to have to go through what you all have been through as loyal fans. Mike Brown certainly knows how to make you guys bend over to count the clouds while he collects your money. Time to pressure him for a real GM that knows how to put a scouting team together, wouldn't you say?

As far as the game is concerned, all I can say is that the outcome is pretty much what I expected considering where the two teams are right now. Nobody has to reiterate your defensive problems and wishful thinking aside, nobody should have expected anything different. I thought your stadium was AWESOME .... truly not a bad seat in the house and the noise level rocks with the full enclosure. Not sure what playing surface you all use, but I can assure you that it beats the shit out of the grab-bag sand/slop we play on at Heinz Field.

The one area that I do want to comment on in a not-so positive light is probably something that I'm sure many of you can find any one of a million excuses for, but please keep in mind my comments are intended to be both fair and constructive in nature.

[b]Lose the hate for Steelers fans (as a whole) and learn to become better hosts & tailgaters! [/b]

There, I said it ...

As a Steelers fan visiting Cincinnati this past weekend. I really wanted to walk around and tailgate during the morning hours and found most of the Bengals fans in the lots to be rude and obnoxious and wanted no part of partying with the opposition. I couldn't believe the hate I was hearing .... People running up in my face yelling "Who Dey" and "Go back to Shittsburgh" for no other reason than I was wearing my Steeler colors. I was truly appalled by what I was seeing and hearing. Now, before someone tells me I shouldn't generalize and lump all Bengals fans together as "bad" or "classless" knowing each team has their own special breed of "bad apples" .... You need to know I took this into account and still came up with an overwhelming majority that were rude and obnoxious. Not only did Bengal fans tailgating not offer us a beer or a bite to eat, they went out of their way to extend their rudeness by telling us what they felt about our team, our fans, and our city.

Why the hate? This is what I don't understand and seperates us as fans. Perhaps it's because when fans of other teams come into pissburgh to watch a game, tailgating is a universal language to us. It's also as American as apple pie. We understand that we are hosting visitors. I've been tailgating for over 20 years now and can say that when we see other teams fans walking around our lot, we go out of our way to make them feel at home. Is it somewhat intimidating to walk into a group of 40 or so Stiller fans? Sure, but those who have the stones to walk around are generally surprised how hospitable we actually are. We invite and welcome the opposing teams fans to eat and drink with us and look forward to talking some football before the game. We even talk some friendly shit to each other, but never in my lifetime have we ever allowed our differences in loyalities to overshadow our common bond ... which is our love of the game. This is what makes football Sunday so special. This is what I look forward to on Steeler Sunday's in pissburgh and I've made some really good friendships along the way.

Why am I saying this? Simple, I think you all have some really good fans ... but unfortunately, they're being overshadowed by a large contingency of Bengals fans who can't seem to seperate their bitter feelings regarding our interdivisional rivalry and just being fans of the game of football. The next time I come to Cincinnati, I want to feel the same hospitality that I extend when other teams fans come to our city. Come on up to pissburgh in December for our next match-up and I'll show you what I mean. You'll walk away with more food and drink and good memories than you could have ever imagined possible.

the irony in a steelers fan saying lose the hate is relatively thick. the way steelers fans behave HERE is appalling. and every other one in pittsburgh is apologizing from the prick who walked by before them.

it sucks some drunk kentucky hilljacks werent nice to you. but look around, steelers fans arent exactly "worth the air they breath" down here.

and what was with the lack of fans traveling? its gone down and down each year, but this was the least i had seen in ages.

then again i doubt much of the fairweather population from here will be in pitt this december.

i hate ohio.

Here's a nice anecdote. I was on the "sidelines" of the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday in DC to cheer on my girlfriend, who has the stones to run 26.2 miles at once. I was decked out in my #84 alternate jersey since I was on my way to watch the game with other friends after the waving and cheering. I got as many "WHO DEYs" as I got "Here we go Stealers" FROM THE RUNNERS. It was all I could do to not say to the shittsburgh jackoffs, "keep up [i]this[/i] pace and you'll miss kickoff, Nancy!"

[quote name='GoBengals' post='582002' date='Oct 30 2007, 09:43 PM']the irony in a steelers fan saying lose the hate is relatively thick. the way steelers fans behave HERE is appalling. and every other one in pissburgh is apologizing from the prick who walked by before them.

it sucks some drunk kentucky hilljacks werent nice to you. but look around, steelers fans arent exactly "worth the air they breath" down here.

and what was with the lack of fans traveling? its gone down and down each year, but this was the least i had seen in ages.

then again i doubt much of the fairweather population from here will be in pitt this december.

i hate ohio.[/quote]

What he said.

Steeler fans are with few exceptions (based on your posts, I would include you in the exceptions) the most obnoxious, classless sports fans I've run across. Hell, Raider fans are less obnoxious than Steeler fans, and I used to consider them the gold standard for classless.

And yeah, not the biggest fan of Ohio myself...

Few things.

1. The field is feild turf, it was grass if I remember right when they built it but when Marvin got here they tore it up to put in the field turf to help prevent injury (ironic isnt it?)

2. We will not get a GM, fans have no say in how the teams are run and when we suffered through the 90s we didnt get one, thats not going to change now. Sure we could protest and not buy stuff or empty the seats. But that does nothing in the grand scheme of things, because I hear LA wouldnt mind a team, and I know San Antonio is salavating for one.

3. We do protest and the stadium gets filled up by the likes of you doesnt it? and we hear stuff like "we own that stadium" it's "hines field west" Then years later when we do have a competiteve team and the fans return after protest, we hear "oh they are just banwagoners" ... isnt that the way it goes? And if Brown is making no money from us OR you hell take the team elsewhere.

4. I have a few friends that I was friends with before the playoff game that are steelers fans, one who is more redskin than steeler but still likes the steelers as he went to school at IUP, that I was a groomsmen in his wedding. My friends know not to speak about our teams with me now. Im at the point that you could put Gizell Bunchen in front of me and tell me she was a die hard steelers fan, and it would completely ruin her for me. After the playoff game and the way YOUR ilk acted cheering on Palmers injury with such things as snicker ad spoofs or walking out of the stadum holding their knees, all before there was ANY knowledge of whether he would play again, and the way YOUR ilk reveled in the notion that it would put us back years because of Palmers contract, the enjoyment YOU got out of it knowing and hoping that we would go back to the depths for years to come. It's why I got some enjoyment after I knew Ben was going to be ok in his accident. Karma is a bitch like that isnt it?

I will never forgive that, you must suffer like we did, and it may not be soon but that day will come and I will revel in it, because then and ONLY then will you know empathy and then and ONLY then can this be about football.

It was a good post Missing Link, but you are one of the exceptions. I know you are not a Bengals fan, but you seem to still respect teams so I'm going to ask a hypothetical question. In all honesty, how comfortable would you feel walking around Heinz with Bengals garb on? Still feel like the overwhelming majority of Steeler fans will be polite? I think if the answer is yes, you are delusional. At the best you might get a 40/60 split where 40 is the polite fans.

I tend to keep my mouth shut and let the team speak for themselves on the field. (obviously this season the Bengals can't talk at all) It works that way, if they lose, I didn't say anything. If they win, yeah I didn't say anything, but they still got the win. I would say that if I was playing cornhole during a tailgate, and a Steeler fan was polite and asked to join, I would have no problem allowing them to join. But I am not going out of my way to ask them.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='582137' date='Oct 31 2007, 09:00 AM']Few things.

1. The field is feild turf, it was grass if I remember right when they built it but when Marvin got here they tore it up to put in the field turf to help prevent injury (ironic isnt it?)

2. We will not get a GM, fans have no say in how the teams are run and when we suffered through the 90s we didnt get one, thats not going to change now. Sure we could protest and not buy stuff or empty the seats. But that does nothing in the grand scheme of things, because I hear LA wouldnt mind a team, and I know San Antonio is salavating for one.

3. We do protest and the stadium gets filled up by the likes of you doesnt it? and we hear stuff like "we own that stadium" it's "hines field west" Then years later when we do have a competiteve team and the fans return after protest, we hear "oh they are just banwagoners" ... isnt that the way it goes? And if Brown is making no money from us OR you hell take the team elsewhere.

4. I have a few friends that I was friends with before the playoff game that are steelers fans, one who is more redskin than steeler but still likes the steelers as he went to school at IUP, that I was a groomsmen in his wedding. My friends know not to speak about our teams with me now. Im at the point that you could put Gizell Bunchen in front of me and tell me she was a die hard steelers fan, and it would completely ruin her for me. After the playoff game and the way YOUR ilk acted cheering on Palmers injury with such things as snicker ad spoofs or walking out of the stadum holding their knees, all before there was ANY knowledge of whether he would play again, and the way YOUR ilk reveled in the notion that it would put us back years because of Palmers contract, the enjoyment YOU got out of it knowing and hoping that we would go back to the depths for years to come. It's why I got some enjoyment after I knew Ben was going to be ok in his accident. Karma is a bitch like that isnt it?

I will never forgive that, you must suffer like we did, and it may not be soon but that day will come and I will revel in it, because then and ONLY then will you know empathy and then and ONLY then can this be about football.[/quote]

Heinz

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='582137' date='Oct 31 2007, 09:00 AM']Few things.

4. I have a few friends [b]that I was friends with before the playoff game[/b] that are steelers fans, one who is more redskin than steeler but still likes the steelers as he went to school at IUP, that I was a groomsmen in his wedding. My friends know not to speak about our teams with me now. Im at the point that you could put Gizell Bunchen in front of me and tell me she was a die hard steelers fan, and it would completely ruin her for me. After the playoff game and the way YOUR ilk acted cheering on Palmers injury with such things as snicker ad spoofs or walking out of the stadum holding their knees, all before there was ANY knowledge of whether he would play again, and the way YOUR ilk reveled in the notion that it would put us back years because of Palmers contract, the enjoyment YOU got out of it knowing and hoping that we would go back to the depths for years to come. It's why I got some enjoyment after I knew Ben was going to be ok in his accident. Karma is a bitch like that isnt it?

I will never forgive that, you must suffer like we did, and it may not be soon but that day will come and I will revel in it, because then and ONLY then will you know empathy and then and ONLY then can this be about football.[/quote]

So you are not friends with them anymore because Carson Palmer got hurt and they just happen to be fans of the team he was hurt against? Am I reading that right?

[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='582637' date='Nov 1 2007, 01:10 AM']So you are not friends with them anymore because Carson Palmer got hurt and they just happen to be fans of the team he was hurt against? Am I reading that right?[/quote]

No of course Im still friends with them, I just dont speak about our teams with them.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='582672' date='Nov 1 2007, 07:17 AM']No of course Im still friends with them, I just dont speak about our teams with them.[/quote]

Maybe you take football too seriously?

A sport that you spectate shouldnt interfere with friendships. Pretty much all of my friends and family are Pats fans (I am from New England) who I hate. But football is football. It isnt my life.

[quote name='oftt4' post='582719' date='Nov 1 2007, 09:36 AM']Maybe you take football too seriously?

A sport that you spectate shouldnt interfere with friendships. Pretty much all of my friends and family are Pats fans (I am from New England) who I hate. But football is football. It isnt my life.[/quote]

who said it interefeared with my friendships?

besides they both are more redskins fans than steelers fans anyway :D

[quote name='Missing Link' post='583084' date='Nov 1 2007, 04:21 PM']Some interesting responses. Several of you really helped in making my point. Thanks![/quote]

You're welcome! Come back to Cincinnati anytime! :lol:

I think everyone's trying to say to you, It go's both ways! Whether or not we're the assholes that treated you badly,
i'm sure we've been given the same from your side and it's not all lollipop trees and unicorns in the steelers house, like you describe it to be.

[quote name='DICKMAN' post='583143' date='Nov 1 2007, 06:33 PM']You're welcome! Come back to Cincinnati anytime! :lol:

I think everyone's trying to say to you, It go's both ways! Whether or not we're the assholes that treated you badly,
i'm sure we've been given the same from your side and it's not all lollipop trees and unicorns in the steelers house, like you describe it to be.[/quote]
There most certainly ARE Unicorns in the Steelers house....

:gayfight2:

[quote name='DICKMAN' post='583143' date='Nov 1 2007, 07:33 PM']I think everyone's trying to say to you, It go's both ways! Whether or not we're the assholes that treated you badly,
i'm sure we've been given the same from your side and it's not all lollipop trees and unicorns in the steelers house, like you describe it to be.[/quote]

I've been a regular tailgater in pissburgh for 22 years now, so I'm going to ask you ... you're basing your opinion on what it "might" be like there based on what? Let me guess, some home-spun stories .... fables ... that have been handed down to you over the years? Kind of like when you were told as a child by the bigger kids that the guy at the end of the street was the boogie man and you actually started to believe it. :lol:

What few Bengals fans I've actually seen in pissburgh have all been seen tailgating with Steelers fans because we want them to feel welcome here. As experienced rivals with many other teams, we don't allow ourselves to get to the level of personal hatred just because we're football rivals. We've learned long ago that you let your teams players work that stuff out on the field. As a fan ... a spectator .... when you take it to that personal of a level, you probably have bigger issues.

So all I'm saying is that since you're new to the "rival" thing ... learn to seperate the game from real life.

I'm not new to the rival thing, I've hated Steeler fans since I was in diapers and will continue to until wearing diapers again.

I'm not saying what "might" be, i'm simply explaining the facts laid out before you, by Bengal fans, that we too go through the same thing from pissburgh fans as well as many other teams fans. I live in San Diego and get crap in languages I don't even speak!

You cannot speak as a whole. You are one of, i'm sure, many that are what you've explained but, you cannot base us as a whole from your experience.

If you don't like the way "we" tailgate then so be it. This is our town.

piss fans are all shit.

I have seen them at games, drunk, uneducated and fools.

I see them drive their cars through the streets,....with their little fag stealer helmets magnets and such.

they are tools and always will be.

we had a bunch staying in a local motel the night of the game, needless to say they got drunk, and one was observed smacking his wife in front of a cop, he went to jail. but the whole time he was saying,,,im going to the game tomorrow, while grabbing his toothlessburger jersey. nope, ur gonna be in county, not pbs, but thx for playing

i laughed so hard all night

[quote name='Missing Link' post='581979' date='Oct 30 2007, 09:09 PM']Guys, first off ... let me just say good game and I for one and extremely happy that nobody got seriously hurt. I don't have the heart to "pile on" with the intent to antagonize an already bad situation. I read some of the posts from the more veteran loyal Bengal fans and I would never want to have to go through what you all have been through as loyal fans. Mike Brown certainly knows how to make you guys bend over to count the clouds while he collects your money. Time to pressure him for a real GM that knows how to put a scouting team together, wouldn't you say?

As far as the game is concerned, all I can say is that the outcome is pretty much what I expected considering where the two teams are right now. Nobody has to reiterate your defensive problems and wishful thinking aside, nobody should have expected anything different. I thought your stadium was AWESOME .... truly not a bad seat in the house and the noise level rocks with the full enclosure. Not sure what playing surface you all use, but I can assure you that it beats the shit out of the grab-bag sand/slop we play on at Heinz Field.

The one area that I do want to comment on in a not-so positive light is probably something that I'm sure many of you can find any one of a million excuses for, but please keep in mind my comments are intended to be both fair and constructive in nature.

[b]Lose the hate for Steelers fans (as a whole) and learn to become better hosts & tailgaters! [/b]

There, I said it ...

As a Steelers fan visiting Cincinnati this past weekend. I really wanted to walk around and tailgate during the morning hours and found most of the Bengals fans in the lots to be rude and obnoxious and wanted no part of partying with the opposition. I couldn't believe the hate I was hearing .... People running up in my face yelling "Who Dey" and "Go back to Shittsburgh" for no other reason than I was wearing my Steeler colors. I was truly appalled by what I was seeing and hearing. Now, before someone tells me I shouldn't generalize and lump all Bengals fans together as "bad" or "classless" knowing each team has their own special breed of "bad apples" .... You need to know I took this into account and still came up with an overwhelming majority that were rude and obnoxious. Not only did Bengal fans tailgating not offer us a beer or a bite to eat, they went out of their way to extend their rudeness by telling us what they felt about our team, our fans, and our city.

Why the hate? This is what I don't understand and seperates us as fans. Perhaps it's because when fans of other teams come into pissburgh to watch a game, tailgating is a universal language to us. It's also as American as apple pie. We understand that we are hosting visitors. I've been tailgating for over 20 years now and can say that when we see other teams fans walking around our lot, we go out of our way to make them feel at home. Is it somewhat intimidating to walk into a group of 40 or so Stiller fans? Sure, but those who have the stones to walk around are generally surprised how hospitable we actually are. We invite and welcome the opposing teams fans to eat and drink with us and look forward to talking some football before the game. We even talk some friendly shit to each other, but never in my lifetime have we ever allowed our differences in loyalities to overshadow our common bond ... which is our love of the game. This is what makes football Sunday so special. This is what I look forward to on Steeler Sunday's in pissburgh and I've made some really good friendships along the way.

Why am I saying this? Simple, I think you all have some really good fans ... but unfortunately, they're being overshadowed by a large contingency of Bengals fans who can't seem to seperate their bitter feelings regarding our interdivisional rivalry and just being fans of the game of football. The next time I come to Cincinnati, I want to feel the same hospitality that I extend when other teams fans come to our city. Come on up to pissburgh in December for our next match-up and I'll show you what I mean. You'll walk away with more food and drink and good memories than you could have ever imagined possible.[/quote]

Why don't you go lose your sister and go fuck yourself. :) Of course you seem like a nice guy so I'll cut you a little slack. :)

• 1 month later...
[quote name='DICKMAN' post='581999' date='Oct 30 2007, 09:40 PM']I cannot seem to lose the hate. It's in my blood.[/quote]
Same thing here
In 1990 I was at the Cincy Steeltown game, in Cincy. Some kid kept kicking the back of my chair, kid was about 7. I ask the father to please have him stop. In front of the kid, dad said, FUCK YOU, you’re from PA. Since all his drunk buddies were looking to act bad and all 10 of them beat up on one guy I let it go. Halftime I was taking a piss, got to be my turn and I get 3 or 4 guys pushing me in the back while trying to piss. I turned around while still pissing, pissed on about 8 peoples legs and feet, shook Johnny off, put him away and left. Went to the next restroom and washed my hands. Hey, they left me alone then. I remember Cincy fans coming to three rivers and me saying hi, they said hi back, no problem. Never went to a game in Cincy again, never will

Archived