Young and White look to run over the Bengals

[quote][size=3][b]Young and White look to run over the Bengals[/b][/size]
By Scouts Inc
Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Why To Watch

Tennessee is in the middle of a very tough divisional race with Indianapolis and Jacksonville and can't afford to let either team gain a bigger lead in the AFC South. The Titans are a direct reflection of their head coach, Jeff Fisher, who wants to control the game with defense and play conservative offensively by running the ball to move the chains and throwing the ball just enough to keep defenses honest. On the other hand, the Bengals are pretty much out of the playoff race and will be playing like they have nothing to loose, as they try to regain some of their offensive firepower. When the Bengals are on their game, offensively, they can move the ball and score with the best of them.

When the Titans have the ball

Rushing: Tennessee runs the ball with an attitude and it owns the No. 4 ground game in the league coming into its Monday night game with Denver with an average of 139.8 yards per game. The Titans have one of the more athletic offensive lines in the league and do a good job of making contact and sustaining their blocks. Running back LenDale White is running hard and leads the team in yards, but is only averaging 3.5 yards per carry while Chris Brown, who started off the season on fire, has been nursing a sprained ankle, but they hope to have him back soon. Part of what makes the Titans' ground game go is the threat of QB Vince Young on the edge. He is more than just a capable runner in his own right and teams generally have to account for him with a defender, which reduces the number of players that can react to the running backs.

The Bengals are No. 27 against the run and are giving up an average of 126.5 yards per gam on the ground. However, they have had two good back-to-back outings holding Willis McGahee to 60 yards two weeks ago and Edgerrin James to 52 yards this past weekend. They are led by ILB Landon Johnson with 69 tackles and FS Madieu Williams with 55 tackles. They rely on a quick-penetrating defensive front that tries to force the ball carrier to run laterally rather than north-and-south. Teams that have a strong power running game tend to overpower this defense.

Passing: The Titans have been struggling with their passing game. Young has been extremely inconsistent in his decision making as well as his accuracy, especially on the deep balls. He is forcing the ball into coverage and throwing more interceptions than touchdowns. The Titans lack a serious deep threat in their receiving corps, but have size and athleticism. TE Bo Scaife and backup WR Roydell Williams have become Young's favorite targets. The Titans' best shot at moving the ball through the air is on roll outs and bootlegs where the defense is put in a position where they have to defend Young's ability to run as well as the receivers and hope they make some mistakes.

The Bengals have struggled when it comes to defending the pass giving up almost 243.1 yards per game through the air. Their 17 QB sacks and 11 interceptions are both in the bottom third of the league. However, they did manage to get to a rather immobile Arizona QB, Kurt Warner, three times this past week, but will need to come after Young with a more controlled pass rush because he can scramble out of the pocket and gain positive yards if the defense leaves their lanes and area of responsibilities.

When the Bengals have the ball

Rushing: Cincinnati needs to do a better job of establishing some kind of ground game. It has have the 26th ranked ground game averaging 84.9 yards per game. The Bengals have two compact-power type runners in Kenny Watson and Rudi Johnson, but both lack the speed at tailback to threaten the perimeters. They tend to be most effective when running between the tackles. Plus they both show good vision and run instincts when some kind of hole is opened up for them.

Tennessee has become one of the toughest teams in the NFL to run against and is ranked No. 2 in the NFL giving up an average of 77.1 yards per game. A major cog in the Titans' run defense has been Albert Haynesworth, who missed the Jacksonville game a week ago with a hamstring injury and is still day to day. When he is playing, Haynesworth does a great job of controlling the middle of the line allowing his linebackers, David Thornton, Ryan Fowler and Keith Bulluck to run and make plays unimpeded. Thornton, in particular, has been on a tear leading the team in tackles and doing a great job of diagnosing plays and filling the hole to stop the run before it can get started.

Passing: What has been considered one of the strong points of this Cincinnati team has become an area of concern. While QB Carson Palmer and his corps of receivers still rank high averaging the league's fourth best 269.8 yards per game through the air the QB passing rating of the team has become an almost pedestrian 88.0. Palmer threw four interceptions while connecting on just two touchdowns this past weekend against the Arizona Cardinals. Two of those interceptions were returned for touchdowns as they lost to Arizona. T.J. Houshmandzadeh continues to lead the Bengals with 76 receptions while Chad Johnson is still the most explosive player on the roster with 59 receptions and averaging 15.9 yards per catch. However, Johnson has been shut out for eight consecutive games when it comes to getting into the end zone while Houshmandzadeh has caught 11 of Palmer's 18 touchdown passes.

The Titans are No. 7 in the league at stopping the pass and fourth in the league in interceptions. They get pressure off the edge as well as up the middle (when Haynesworth is healthy) and don't have to rely on multiple stunts and blitzes to manufacture a pass rush. This allows their linebackers to concentrate more on coverages as is evident by Bulluck leading the team in interceptions.

Special Teams

Tennessee has a quality punter in Craig Hentrich who averages over 41 yards a punt with a net of 37 while Cincinnati's Kyle Larson is averaging just over 42 yards a punt but a net of only 34. Neither team has an explosive returner with Antonio Chatman recently taking over the punt return chores and averaging just over 10 yards per return while Chris Davis is averaging 10.3 for Tennessee. Tennessee has better coverage units overall and should have the advantage when it comes to special teams.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com[/quote]

[url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=271125004"]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=271125004[/url]

[quote name='Storm' post='597270' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:18 AM']Should I start Vince Young in my FF league this week?[/quote]
I'm facing that dilemma - Young against us, Brees against Carolina, or Warner against 49ers...

Our defense has been the medicine for most offenses this year - but Young is the epitome of penthouse or shithouse...

The guy either goes 25+ or 8 or less. Nothing consistent in the 15-17 range every game.

Mobile QB's have always murdered the Bengals because they can't apply pressure or tackle. Kordell Stewart used to kill the Bengals. Vick destroyed them. Losman ran around in the pocket all day. Mcnair in his prime owned the Bengals. It's endless. Young will have a career day.

This game will be a walk in the park for the Titans. Look how Warner ran around all day in the backfield, hell, he could have set up a table and had lunch before we got to him, now imagine Vince Young in the backfield...this games has MASSACRE written all over it. :doh:

Titans-32
Bengals-17
-_-

Young gets 75-100 yards running alone, White gets another 150+

-E

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='597312' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:18 AM']This game will be a walk in the park for the Titans. Look how Warner ran around all day in the backfield, hell, he could have set up a table and had lunch before we got to him, now imagine Vince Young in the backfield...this games has MASSACRE written all over it. :doh:

Titans-32
Bengals-17
-_-

Young gets 75-100 yards running alone, White gets another 150+

-E[/quote]

i guess 3 sacks isn't good?

he was getting pressured all day. Trust me look how bad the broncos D is vs the run they played well.

I honestly think we beat the titans at home. We will shut the run down and force Young to pass and that will be hilarious.

I think we'll go up 14-0 early and the game will be completely over.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='597317' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:23 AM']i guess 3 sacks isn't good?

he was getting pressured all day. Trust me look how bad the broncos D is vs the run they played well.

[i][/i]I honestly think we beat the titans at home. We will shut the run down and force Young to pass and that will be hilarious.

I think we'll go up 14-0 early and the game will be completely over.[/quote]
Well I hope your right....
My gut tells me that your analysis will be the complete opposite in every regard..

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='597279' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:35 AM']I'm facing that dilemma - Young against us, Brees against Carolina, or Warner against 49ers...

Our defense has been the medicine for most offenses this year - but Young is the epitome of penthouse or shithouse...

The guy either goes 25+ or 8 or less. Nothing consistent in the 15-17 range every game.[/quote]
Brees, or Warner flip a coin

It should be ugly for the Bengals

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='597318' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:28 AM']Well I hope your right....
My gut tells me that your analysis will be the complete opposite in every regard..[/quote]

x2
i'm almost dreading watching the game, worthlessburger and losman scraambled all over our D, young will make it look like he's back in college

our best chance is our O to score first and early and often, and force them to throw even though he night scramble all over the place young hasn't made good desicions throwing and if we get a few turnovers and protect the ball on O and score we should be good, but that is a lot of ifs :unsure:

Vince Young scares me, LenDale White doesn't, White has a real problem holding on to the ball, I think he has like 4 or 5 fumbles already for the year and he's been splitting time with Brown and Henry. If it's the same team that showed up to play Denver at Invesco Field, I have no worries at all. We need to play smashmouth grind it out football, run and eat up the clock, force Young to throw to get back in the game, but all this in contingent on our D showing up and shutting them down 2 or 3 series..... Wait..... was that asking too much from our D....... :D

[quote name='Jeff Blake' post='597304' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:56 AM']Mobile QB's have always murdered the Bengals because they can't apply pressure or tackle. Kordell Stewart used to kill the Bengals. Vick destroyed them. Losman ran around in the pocket all day. Mcnair in his prime owned the Bengals. It's endless. Young will have a career day.[/quote]

Everyone kills the Bengals. Whomever we play becomes a poacher.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' post='597333' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:23 AM']see atlanta game from last year... Vick destroyed us and they're basically the same quarterback. I see VY running wild this sunday[/quote]

But Vick was throwing a lot in that game. He really didn't even try to scramble

Archived