Still not mind if we lose?

More beneficial for our future  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want the bengals to finish the season?

• Season is lost already, so best to play only future players and shoot for higher draft pick
    • This team needs to gel better, and can only do that by winning this year

I guess my thought process goes as follows:

1) The worst thing to see from the Bengals isn't losing, but quitting (but watching them lose sucks).

2) If a veteran can't win games, then give a young guy a chance to show his stuff.
-I don't mind a mistake from a kid as much as inability from a veteran.

3) While I can understand the logic behind the "lose for a better draft pick" school of thought, I don't endorse it.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't care who plays. I just want them to play all out... And I will never root for this team to lose.

So your poll doesn't quite apply to me. I don't believe you play young guys for a draft pick or old guys to gel. You play the guys that will give it their all, with a slight nod to potential over father time.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='600403' date='Nov 27 2007, 02:59 PM']Always play to win. I think (along with injuries) the way last season ended carried over into this season. A solid finish will only help this team in '08.[/quote]
I have to agree with every thing you said...

[quote name='Jason' post='600449' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:06 PM']I'm not saying lose intentionally, but I think I'd prefer a 5 or 6 win season and a higher draft pick to another 8 win season and no playoffs.[/quote]

yep.

Get the young guys and the guys who will be here next year as much playing time and experience as possible and see where that takes you.

If it takes you to 5 and 11 or 8 and 8 then so be it...

... However, the worst thing to happen is us finish 8 - 8, have a higher pick, and have people think "Man if we would have just gelled sooner, we could have made the playoffs"

Way too many problems on D need fixed... obviously a playmaker or two in the draft wouldn't hurt, as well as getting guys healthy again, and a front seven FA

Again I find myself wondering just what the fuck is wrong with people.

I never want to watch my team lose. I watch them in the hopes that they win every game, regardless of record or draft position or any other extraneous bullshit. When I tune in on Sunday, I want to see an epic ass-whupping of biblical proportions. I have a hard time understanding why you'd give up 3 hours of your Sunday afternoon otherwise.

And again I invite anyone who thinks draft position is worth a 4-12 season to examine the draft order for the past 5-10 years.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='600467' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:47 PM']Again I find myself wondering just what the fuck is wrong with people.

I never want to watch my team lose. I watch them in the hopes that they win every game, regardless of record or draft position or any other extraneous bullshit. When I tune in on Sunday, I want to see an epic ass-whupping of biblical proportions. I have a hard time understanding why you'd give up 3 hours of your Sunday afternoon otherwise.

And again I invite anyone who thinks draft position is worth a 4-12 season to examine the draft order for the past 5-10 years.[/quote]

:lol:

my thoughts exactly...

I always want my team to win regardless of draft position...most draft picks are a complete gamble anyways look at TJ and Tom Brady maybe the two best at their position!

On a side note I think we have a lot better chance of attracting Free Agent talent if they believe they can get paid and contend for a championship here! 4-12 means your going to a loser and your only hope is to get a fat check!

[quote name='T-Dub' post='600467' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:47 PM']Again I find myself wondering just what the fuck is wrong with people.

And again I invite anyone who thinks draft position is worth a 4-12 season to examine the draft order for the past 5-10 years.[/quote]

Who said they wanted thier team to lose?

[quote name='Sigfox09' post='600492' date='Nov 27 2007, 08:05 PM']I always want my team to win regardless of draft position...most draft picks are a complete gamble anyways look at TJ and Tom Brady maybe the two best at their position!

On a side note I think [b]we have a lot better chance of attracting Free Agent talent[/b] if they believe they can get paid and contend for a championship here! 4-12 means your going to a loser and your only hope is to get a fat check![/quote]

What difference does it make? We [b]never[/b] sign impact free agents anyway.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='600498' date='Nov 27 2007, 08:38 PM']if you want us to lose i don't feel your a true fan, but i can see your logic

plus it's shitsburg week, this is the wrong week for this kind of poll

:gobengals:

:icon15:

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//steelerssuck.gif[/img][/quote]

I think the phrase "true fan" needs to be put on a word filter.

This season is all but lost. How many times in the past have we finished strong leading people to believe things will be ok next season, only to be worse? Now, I agree a lot of extenuating circumstances have contributed to the off year. But look at the San Antonio Spurs. David Robinson got hurt. They had a bad year, won the draft lottery, and got Tim Duncan. They have been the best team in the NBA since. Maybe a year that nets us a draft pick of Dorsey, or Campbell, or Laurenaitis puts us over the top.

[quote name='Jason' post='600528' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:01 PM']I think the phrase "true fan" needs to be put on a word filter.

This season is all but lost. How many times in the past have we finished strong leading people to believe things will be ok next season, only to be worse? Now, I agree a lot of extenuating circumstances have contributed to the off year. But look at the San Antonio Spurs. David Robinson got hurt. They had a bad year, won the draft lottery, and got Tim Duncan. They have been the best team in the NBA since. Maybe a year that nets us a draft pick of Dorsey, or Campbell, or Laurenaitis puts us over the top.[/quote]

I agree with you on the "true fan" comment. But not on your opinion on draft position. Which is all good. You are a valued member here and I would never challenge your status as a "true bengal fan". That is undisputable. (or should it be indisputable? Fuck I don't know and don't feel like looking it up, but you get my point).

[quote name='mongo' post='600382' date='Nov 27 2007, 02:04 PM']I guess my thought process goes as follows:

1) The worst thing to see from the Bengals isn't losing, but quitting (but watching them lose sucks).

2) If a veteran can't win games, then give a young guy a chance to show his stuff.
-I don't mind a mistake from a kid as much as inability from a veteran.

3) While I can understand the logic behind the "lose for a better draft pick" school of thought, I don't endorse it.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't care who plays. I just want them to play all out... And I will never root for this team to lose.

So your poll doesn't quite apply to me. I don't believe you play young guys for a draft pick or old guys to gel. You play the guys that will give it their all, with a slight nod to potential over father time.[/quote]
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

[quote name='Jason' post='600528' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:01 PM']I think the phrase "true fan" needs to be put on a word filter.

This season is all but lost. How many times in the past have we finished strong leading people to believe things will be ok next season, only to be worse? Now, I agree a lot of extenuating circumstances have contributed to the off year. But look at the San Antonio Spurs. David Robinson got hurt. They had a bad year, won the draft lottery, and got Tim Duncan. They have been the best team in the NBA since. Maybe a year that nets us a draft pick of Dorsey, or Campbell, or Laurenaitis puts us over the top.[/quote]
Ahhhhh, Jason-san, the key phrase in your first sentence is "All But"......

My happiness does not consist of the Bengals getting a higher draft pick and losing the rest of the season, but rather seeing the team play well, even in a loss. Most of the losses this season has been because of poor play, injuries, and coaching. But the Titans game gives me hope that the team could be starting to come around, and the defense playing as a TEAM. Of course they need to show us on a consistant basis, one game is not convincing enough.

It may not be a news flash...but the "young guys" [b]are[/b] getting a chance to play. Looking up and down the roster...there aren't many of them (other than the career ST quality) who haven't been a part of some rotation.

Winning cures a lot of ills...even if you don't make the playoffs. It breeds a mind-set for success. And that is just what this team needs--not another draft pick who might not work out anyway.

the season is surely already lost...

i like to see winning, but winning and losing have the same outcome on the playoffs at this point, unless the steelers and browns fall into a coma. and even then we are 4 games back with 5 games to play... steelers lose out, we win out and browns only beat the steelers... and we are IN!

so a win or loss doesn't mean a whole lot.. i like cheering on a win far more tho...

wins are for entertainment purposes only at this point...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='600719' date='Nov 28 2007, 12:38 PM']the season is surely already lost...

i like to see winning, but winning and losing have the same outcome on the playoffs at this point, unless the steelers and browns fall into a coma. and even then we are 4 games back with 5 games to play... steelers lose out, we win out and browns only beat the steelers... and we are IN!

so a win or loss doesn't mean a whole lot.. i like cheering on a win far more tho...

wins are for entertainment purposes only at this point...[/quote]

I agree with most of what you said, but my opinion differs when it comes to wins and losses. For me personally, I agree with you that cheering on a win is much more enjoyable, but I would also like to see a culture of winning that we have yet to establish. It has gotten much much better from the lost decade of the 90s, but still not where it needs to be or what any fan expects.

I guess it comes down to different opinions among us fans. One group would like to see a high draft pick to improve our chances for the future and the other wants to see a winning culture as we look toward '08. Which is right...... who knows.

Archived