Bresnahan still working hard

[quote][size=3][b]Bresnahan still working hard [/b]
Defense showing signs of recovery [/size]
By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Not much has changed for Chuck Bresnahan from the beginning of the season. The Bengals defensive coordinator is still energized, still feverish in his approach to coaching - and that's not because no matter how cold the temperature becomes Bresnahan can still be found wearing shorts to the practice field.

Bresnahan has been one of the main targets for criticism during what has so far been a disappointing season for the Bengals. The team is 4-7 and, while all three units - offense, defense and special teams - can lay claim to their share of the blame, Bresnahan's defensive charges have taken the brunt of that criticism. The Bengals head into Sunday night's game at pissburgh ranked 28th in the league in overall defense and 30th in points allowed.

That is despite a three-game stretch in which the defense has shown signs of resuscitation.

Since giving up 479 yards in a 33-21 loss at Buffalo on Nov. 4 against a Bills team that ranked next-to-last in the league in offense and was averaging less than 14 points per game, the Bengals have shown they actually can play at a consistently good level from one game to the next.

"We have to continue to play with the consistency," said Bresnahan Thursday after finishing practice. "That's been the big word that I've talked about since the offseason. We have to play consistently well. We haven't proven anything. Last week is gone. We have to step up now against the Steelers and try to get one more game back."

That was the same message Bresnahan had two days after the Bengals opened the season with a 27-20 win against Baltimore, holding the Ravens to 314 yards and one offensive touchdown while forcing six takeaways.

"You have a great game now and you put it behind you," said Bresnahan on Sept. 12, referring to the win against Baltimore. "For me, I don't even want to talk about it. I want to go on to Cleveland and say can we do it again? Can we put two in a row, and then can we put three in a row?"

As it turned out, the Bengals couldn't get to three in a row because they never got to a second consecutive good performance. The Browns rolled up 554 yards and scored 51 points on the Bengals in what has proven to be a catalyst to Cleveland's surprising 7-4 season as much as it was a harbinger of the struggles the Bengals would come to endure.

"You go from everybody wants pat you on the back and all of that and then they want to kick you out of the stadium when we lose to Cleveland," said Bresnahan on Thursday. "And we deserved that. We played like hell."

The Bengals have played much closer to the level they showed in the season opener the last three games. In victories against Baltimore and Tennessee and a loss against Arizona, the Bengals allowed an average of 274.6 yards per game and just four touchdowns. Teams had converted nearly 46 percent of their third-down attempts in the first eight games of the season but the Bengals have held them to 25.8 percent conversions (8-of-31) since then.

Injuries, particularly in the linebacker group, have hindered the Bengals this season. They've had to use rookie safety Chinedum Ndukwe and defensive end Robert Geathers as linebackers at times to fill in spots simply because they didn't have enough healthy bodies otherwise. Landon Johnson, Lemar Marshall and Ahmad Brooks were the starting linebackers on Sept. 10 against Baltimore. Marshall and Brooks played a combined five games this season.

"Everybody gets frustrated when you're not winning because we put a lot of time and effort into what we do," said Johnson, who has started the last three games at middle linebacker after starting at weak side linebacker the first eight games. "Chuck is a good teacher, though, and he's not one to go out there and get frustrated with a guy for making a mistake the first time doing something. He's more interested in teaching him how they want it done."

The current defensive ranking of No. 28 is the highest the Bengals have been since falling to 30th after the Cleveland game. After the first four games of the season they were averaging 403 yards allowed per game. Their ranking hit No. 31 following the Buffalo loss with an average of 397.1 yards allowed per game.

The Bengals are allowing an average of 363.7 yards per game entering this week's game against the Steelers, a drop of 33.4 yards per game in the last three games.

"To me, it's a team deal and I don't mind taking the blame," said Bresnahan. "That's where it should go. And when they win go right to those guys because they executed the game plan. I'll never change that."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/SPT03/711300305/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...05/1022/RSS0302[/url]

No, No, No!!! Don't believe it! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that inspired mediocrity (or worse) in the '90's. This defense has not improved. Getting some of the players back from injury has helped...but this defense still has miles to go. Don't let a couple games against two teams spiraling in the wrong direction offer false hope.

I am not trying to be a pessimist. I would much rather see the Bengals finish undefeated and get to 9-7 (even if that is not good enough for the playoffs) than see them finish poorly and get a high draft pick. However - Chuck has already had more than enough time to prove himself. Time for major changes.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='601464' date='Nov 30 2007, 08:47 AM']No, No, No!!! Don't believe it! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that inspired mediocrity (or worse) in the '90's. This defense has not improved. Getting some of the players back from injury has helped...but this defense still has miles to go. Don't let a couple games against two teams spiraling in the wrong direction offer false hope.

I am not trying to be a pessimist. I would much rather see the Bengals finish undefeated and get to 9-7 (even if that is not good enough for the playoffs) than see them finish poorly and get a high draft pick. However - Chuck has already had more than enough time to prove himself. Time for major changes.[/quote]

who has said any of that?

And the defense HAS improved. Anyone watching can see that. They do still have miles to go though, particularly with regards to pass rush.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='601465' date='Nov 30 2007, 08:49 AM']who has said any of that?

And the defense HAS improved. Anyone watching can see that. They do still have miles to go though, particularly with regards to pass rush.[/quote]

Yes the defense has improved, but I think many can relate to the notion that they don't want a solid finish by the defense contributing to another year of "The Chuckster" as our Defensive Coordinator.

[quote name='Jrod' post='601466' date='Nov 30 2007, 08:59 AM']Yes the defense has improved, but I think many can relate to the notion that they don't want a solid finish by the defense contributing to another year of "The Chuckster" as our Defensive Coordinator.[/quote]

if the defense gets the job done, I could care less who the coordinator is.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='601469' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:10 AM']if the defense gets the job done, I could care less who the coordinator is.[/quote]

hate tends to blind people... even if they turn the corner..

i personally don't think that he is fooling marvin... unless we win out the rest of the year, or only lose one game, i'd say he's almost guarenteed to not be resigned...

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='601478' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:40 AM'][b]We need a new D coordinator...Bresnahan has had more than enough time to show what he can do and he has not done enough...[/b][/quote]

I'm not saying he has. I'm just saying I don't care if its Bresh, Henderson, Marvin, or vanilla ice as long as the D is getting the job done. For the last 3 weeks they have. Will that continue? who knows. none of us would complain if it did.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='601505' date='Nov 30 2007, 10:49 AM'][b]how about the personnel he's had for the last five seasons?[/b][/quote]

justin smith, tory james, kaesviharn, dexter jackson, bryan robinson, brian simmons and john thornton and a bunch of young kids with little experience?

I'm not much of a Bresh fan, but its not like he's had a whole lot to work with.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='601481' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:48 AM']its obvious chuck is a goner, unless hernson/hendrickson whoever he is is going to repalce a position coach, which is probably far more needed an chuck being replaced. bresnehan doesnt teach tackling.[/quote]

I understand that its not Chuck's responsibility to teach tackling... Its not Lewis's either.
Its the positions coaches job to make sure their units tackle properly..
Lewis and Breshnahan see the films week in week out of missed tackles..
If Im Lewis or Breshnahan Im going to that player and finding out why he persists in doing it the wrong way....Then Im going to the coach and finding out why he isnt in the guys face after a missed tackle..
It seems as if everyone wants to pass the buck and not take the responsibility..
I dont understand why...

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='601518' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:29 AM']I understand that its not Chuck's responsibility to teach tackling... Its not Lewis's either.
Its the positions coaches job to make sure their units tackle properly..
Lewis and Breshnahan see the films week in week out of missed tackles..
If Im Lewis or Breshnahan Im going to that player and finding out why he persists in doing it the wrong way....Then Im going to the coach and finding out why he isnt in the guys face after a missed tackle..
It seems as if everyone wants to pass the buck and not take the responsibility..
I dont understand why...[/quote]

Well said. Marvin and Chuck need to take a look at the Defensive coaches first before fingers are pointed at Chuck.

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='601574' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:49 AM']Well said. Marvin and Chuck need to take a look at the Defensive coaches first before fingers are pointed at Chuck.[/quote]

I think Jay Hayes and Cioffi are gone next year. I think Coyle stays, and Hunley might as well... he's had a lot of shuffling around to deal with. Bresh, I'm not so sure about.

Oh my gosh. People??? Are you serious??? This defense has not gotten better!!!@ PLEASE DO NOT BE FOOLED.

They have played two miserable teams the past two weeks. In fact... they have played many miserable teams this year. They are not getting better. This is the same line of thinking that allowed Bruce Coslet and Dave Shula to keep their jobs year after year. This is the same line of thinking that allowed Akili Smith and David Klingler to keep starting games. A couple of nice plays or games won do not solve the problem.

Please, please tell me that I am not the only long-suffering Bengals fan that sees this.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='601587' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:00 PM']Oh my gosh. People??? Are you serious??? This defense has not gotten better!!!@ PLEASE DO NOT BE FOOLED.

They have played two miserable teams the past two weeks. In fact... they have played many miserable teams this year. They are not getting better. This is the same line of thinking that allowed Bruce Coslet and Dave Shula to keep their jobs year after year. This is the same line of thinking that allowed Akili Smith and David Klingler to keep starting games. A couple of nice plays or games won do not solve the problem.

Please, please tell me that I am not the only long-suffering Bengals fan that sees this.[/quote]

if you don't think the defense is improving, then you are blind...

I am not blind. I have been down this road too many times with this team.

When you say they are getting better...... What do you mean? Better than what?

I do not see this team as being better than last year's defense. And last year's defense was terrible.

Please do not use stats against Baltimore or Tennessee as "proof". Those are two terrible offensive teams right now.

I see some individual players getting better (Leon Hall) - but the defensive unit as a whole is still among the bottom 5 in the league.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='601596' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:20 PM']I am not blind. I have been down this road too many times with this team.

When you say they are getting better...... What do you mean? Better than what?

I do not see this team as being better than last year's defense. And last year's defense was terrible.

Please do not use stats against Baltimore or Tennessee as "proof". Those are two terrible offensive teams right now.

I see some individual players getting better (Leon Hall) - but the defensive unit as a whole is still among the bottom 5 in the league.[/quote]

:huh: better than we were..

you don't think we're better than last years defense? what exactly about our defense did you like last year?

baltimore does suck bad on offense, but the fact still remains that we dominated them... arizona has a very good offense, and they coudln't move the ball most of the game... vince young came off his best game as a NFL qb, and we dominated them at every fascet of the game... we are clearly playing better defense right now...

clearly leon hall and JJ are getting better, but that is part of the reason the defense is getting better... go back and wathc some of the games over again... teams aren't running the ball all over us anymore... they were passing on us, but now that our young CB's are playing better, our d in general is doing better...

even still, bres is long gone...

In all due respect... Let's wait until the game is played Sunday night before declaring any victories in the "getting better against the run" category.

Here is my point - which may be getting missed...

I do not want to hear about morale victories. I don't want to hear about slight statistical improvements. I don't want to read articles about things getting better when they are already terrible. (Kind of like trying to convince your parents that a D+ was somehow better than a D on a report card).

I, frankly, am disappointed that Chuck still has a job. He should have been fired after the Buffalo game...if not after last season.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='601672' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:17 PM']In all due respect... Let's wait until the game is played Sunday night before declaring any victories in the "getting better against the run" category.

Here is my point - which may be getting missed...

[b]I do not want to hear about morale victories. I don't want to hear about slight statistical improvements. I don't want to read articles about things getting better when they are already terrible. [/b] (Kind of like trying to convince your parents that a D+ was somehow better than a D on a report card).

I, frankly, am disappointed that Chuck still has a job. He should have been fired after the Buffalo game...if not after last season.[/quote]

sounds like you enjoy being miserable.

And you're right, the Titans don't really have the 4th ranked rushing offense and would have run it down our throats if they were able to.

If a team runs a different line-up on the field week in and week out, how are they supposed to have any continuity whatsoever? If a team has no continuity, how are they supposed to execute consistently week in and week out? The Bengals have been dealing with this for 2 seasons now do to an obscene amount of injuries on the defense and along the o-line. It's not just a coincidence that as guys are getting healthy and the same people have been playing next to one another for a few consecutive weeks, this defense and the o-line have been playing at the highest level they've played at in 2 years. Injuries DO matter people. They effect continuity in a big way. Especially when they happen in mass quantities like has been the case with the Bengals for the last 2 seasons.. It's not an excuse it's reality. Injuries happen...I understand that. Not on the scale that we've had to deal with though. ANY team in the NFL would be struggling if they lost an entire LB unit to injuries like we have....for 2 seasons in a row now.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='601677' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:25 PM']sounds like you enjoy being miserable.

And you're right, the Titans don't really have the 4th ranked rushing offense and would have run it down our throats if they were able to.[/quote]
Im sure alot of that ranking is due to vince young and he was hurt last week. ESPN reported after the game that his quad was still a problem for him and he was probably under orders from his coach not to run unless completely and utterly necessary. There were times during the games I was sure he was about to take off but never did. A healthy young takes off in those instances no question. Take VY's legs away from him and he's just not a very good QB. Take his rushing numbers away from their running stats and they're probably in the high 20's for rushing offense.

Archived