BCS has confusing system

[quote][size=5][b]BCS has confusing system[/b][/size]

Column by The Bengals' Shayne Graham

Right now the big talk is about the Bowl Championship System and the matchup between Ohio State and LSU.

I think everybody is aware that I went to Virginia Tech and, while I still root for Tech, I don't know too many guys on the Virginia Tech team now. My knowledge of college football isn't what it used to be but somebody has to tell me about the BCS.

There are some facets of the BCS that confuse me.

I remember when I was growing up each conference was aligned with a particular bowl. It still is weird for me to comprehend when I see USC playing in the Orange Bowl or Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl or my Hokies in the Fiesta Bowl.

The main complaint I hear from my friends who follow football is they feel the computers decide who plays for a national championship instead of deciding it on the field.

I've heard various arguments against the system. Some of the things I've heard are that the two best teams in the country aren't playing or that the team that was ranked No. 1 the week before bowl bids were handed out isn't even playing in a major bowl game.

I'm well aware that I'm in Ohio State country so I won't say which two teams I think are the best college football teams in the country. Let's just say I'm extremely happy my Hokies won the ACC and are playing in a BCS bowl. I hope we can handle the Kansas Jayhawks.

I've always liked it how the NFL does it. We play a regular season to determine who makes the playoffs and then it is a winner-take-all format. In my estimation that is how a champion should be crowned.

But, what do I know? I'm just happy to be a professional football player. I'll leave the BCS to the people who created it.

Bengals place-kicker Shayne Graham's column appears on Thursdays.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071206/SPT03/712060313/1022"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../712060313/1022[/url]

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='605376' date='Dec 6 2007, 05:25 PM']You mean like Duke, Ohio, William & Mary, East Carolina ?[/quote]

hey OHIO is a badass team

2007-2008 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Time/Result

09/01/07 vs. Gardner-Webb Athens, Ohio W, 36-14

09/08/07 at Louisiana-Lafayette Lafayette, La. W, 31-23

09/15/07 at Virginia Tech Blacksburg, Va. L, 28-7

09/22/07 vs. Wyoming Athens, Ohio L, 34-33

09/29/07 vs. Kent State Athens, Ohio L, 33-25

10/06/07 at Buffalo Amherst, N.Y. L, 31-10

10/13/07 vs. Eastern Michigan Athens, Ohio W, 48-42

10/20/07 at Toledo Toledo, Ohio L, 43-40

10/27/07 at Bowling Green Bowling Green, Ohio W, 38-27

11/02/07 vs. Temple Athens, Ohio W, 23-7

11/07/07 at Akron Akron, Ohio L, 48-37

11/24/07 vs. Miami Athens, Ohio W, 38-29

:ninja:

go bobcats !

[quote]hey OHIO is a badass team[/quote]

And their coach likes to tip the bottle.

The police report from the Nov. 26 arrest indicates Solich was slumped over the wheel of his vehicle, which was still in drive facing the wrong way on a one-way street. Solich was unable to tell officers where he came from that evening as well. He also refused a Breathalyzer test, so there is no record of his blood alcohol content level from that evening.

Two days later, Solich entered a no contest plea in Athens Municipal Court and was ordered to pay a $600 fine and complete a 30-day jail term. The jail sentence was suspended and replaced with a two-year period of probation. He also was required to complete a certified driver intervention program.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='605192' date='Dec 6 2007, 08:47 AM']Not so confusing Shayne....Va. Tech didnt make it ...sorry bout your luck.[/quote]

glad to see you can be a complete asshole for NO reason whatsoever with out a single line in the topic triggering anything to even nudge such a dick headed response.

whats your problem?

Archived