Rudi Stats Skewed

All the post-game talk seems to be about "Rudi is back". I disagree, and feel like all his yardage came on the last drive. Before that, it felt like he was ineffective vs. Kenny and DeDe.

Does anyone have stats tracked such that they can drop the last drive?

-jd

Rudi ran good today and he deserves props. He hasnt run that good for awhile. I dont care when the stats came.

I still dont think it changes the fact that kenny and dede are better suited for the offense.

I wouldn`t call his stats skewed. It`s not like they came in garbage time.

I think he had 6 rushes for 49 yards on that last drive.
A drive in which the Bengals were up by less than a TD.
And the Rams knew the Bengals were wanting to run the ball
and the clock. Hell, I think that`s pretty impressive.

I said that Rudi lost it after last week's game.
But he doesn`t seem to have lost anything when he has blocking.
I know De De had a good game. And I don`t think anyone would
argue that Dorsey has a lot more speed. But Rudi is a work horse.
And has been doing pretty good the last few games, minus last week
when the entire Offense sucked.

[quote name='staticx682000' post='606648' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:57 PM']Rudi got his stats as part of the game, but they came when we wore out there d..He had holes as big as mack trucks and any back on the roster could have taken advantage of it...[/quote]

I guess my concern is that everyone talks about how Rudi runs "better" as the game progresses on because the D is worn down. That's fine, I guess, but only as long as Rudi is getting most of his carries later in the game. Against the same "un-worn down" defense early in the game, Kenny and DeDe were having much more success.

It's great if the stat sheet says Rudi has 98, but if half of that comes late in the game it means the running game isn't working early .. and that affects our play-action and passing game as a whole.

I think it's time for Rudi to pack the pounds back on, and shift to being a short-yard and 4th quarter back.

-jd

[quote name='Hint of Snow' post='606651' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:00 PM']Anyone who watched Rudi run before the last drive that don't think he needs to be sat are deluding themselves. He is not the same and I don't have hope that he ever will be.[/quote]

Rudi has had decent games 2 out of the last 3 games.
The one bad game he only had 14 carries. The 2 decent
games he had 48 carries for 180 yards, and averaged 3.75 ypc.
He has scored 3 TDs the past 3 games too.

That`s not deluding anything.

[quote name='Hint of Snow' post='606658' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:10 PM']He runs tenatively and slow. If the hole isn't wide open open he is not eluding anyone. When he has a head of steam he is average. Maybe the hammy is still lingering but my feeling is that he is done here after this year. Love to be wrong on this[/quote]

I know he is hit in the backfield more than Kenny and DeDe commbined.
And it`s not his doing . . .

[quote name='doogles' post='606652' date='Dec 9 2007, 07:01 PM']I guess my concern is that everyone talks about how Rudi runs "better" as the game progresses on because the D is worn down. That's fine, I guess, but only as long as Rudi is getting most of his carries later in the game. Against the same "un-worn down" defense early in the game, Kenny and DeDe were having much more success.

It's great if the stat sheet says Rudi has 98, but if half of that comes late in the game it means the running game isn't working early .. and that affects our play-action and passing game as a whole.

I think it's time for Rudi to pack the pounds back on, and shift to being a short-yard and 4th quarter back.

-jd[/quote]

i was thinking the same thing, next year let irons, dede, and watson handle the first half, give rudi like two series in the first half to wet his feet and then bring him in more and more as the second half wears on.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='606673' date='Dec 9 2007, 07:28 PM']I don't care who ran the ball when and for how many yards as long as we have a consistent running game and are winning.[/quote]

Do you think it's consistant to gain 2.4ypc for 3 quarter, then 9ypc in the final quarter?

-jd

[quote name='doogles' post='606682' date='Dec 9 2007, 07:38 PM']Do you think it's consistant to gain 2.4ypc for 3 quarter, then 9ypc in the final quarter?

-jd[/quote]

did I say it was? My point is, I don't care who our RB is as long as its working. Put Geathers back there if he's going to get you yardage.

And as far as your stats go, A LOT of RB's stats get skewed that way. Jackson's will, although overasll you could say he had a worse day than Rudi.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='606649' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:58 PM']I wouldn`t call his stats skewed. It`s not like they came in garbage time.

I think he had 6 rushes for 49 yards on that last drive.
A drive in which the Bengals were up by less than a TD.
And the Rams knew the Bengals were wanting to run the ball
and the clock. Hell, I think that`s pretty impressive.

I said that Rudi lost it after last week's game.
But he doesn`t seem to have lost anything when he has blocking.
I know De De had a good game. And I don`t think anyone would
argue that Dorsey has a lot more speed. But Rudi is a work horse.
And has been doing pretty good the last few games, minus last week
when the entire Offense sucked.[/quote]

As much as I think Rudi has lost it, I have to completely agree here. Rudi ran well when we needed it most to win. Period.

I think it's not so much that Rudi has "lost it". He has definitely lost a bit in his tackle-breaking ability by dropping his weight but he has gained some agility, and his pass receiving has improved tremendously (from awful to almost acceptable). The real change is in the O-line. With Steinbach and Braham, I suspect that we tried to angle block defenders more so that the hole opens up where it was drawn, allowing Rudi to hit it with a head of steam. Now with Whitworth and Ghiaciuc, I think we are just trying to drive defenders back, which opens up big holes, but not necessarily where they're supposed to be. Rudi doesn't have a great first step out of his cut and is not well suited for this system. This would be a great system for Chris Perry, however, and Kenny Watson looks to have good vision and acceleration out of his cut, and that's helping him pick up yards too.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='606697' date='Dec 9 2007, 08:13 PM']As much as I think Rudi has lost it, I have to completely agree here. Rudi ran well when we needed it most to win. Period.[/quote]

yea thank god it was against the Brock Berlin led Rams who couldn't score on us, so those first 3 quarters of ineffectiveness didn't really matter.

i just don't get why dorsey didn't get more carries, fine with rudi splitting time as he is obviously good as the defense gets tired, but the defense would get much tired faster if Dorsey is out there running in the first half.

wear them down with Dorsey and bring Rudi in fresh at the end, it can't hurt, I am sure Dorsey can wear down the defense 2 yards at a time just as well as rudi

[quote]I know he is hit in the backfield more than Kenny and DeDe commbined.
And it`s not his doing . . .[/quote]\

Old, I usually agree with most you write on this board, but this time I couldn't disagree with you more !

Rudi had some good runs late today, true. But if Rudi gets 8 yards, you can figure Kenny or Dede would have gotten 18 yards. Its just the truth ! How can Dede sit the bench when he DOMINATES when he plays ?

Rudi can run well ( If the hole is big enough for a Mack truck to run through ) but its clear Kenny & Dede are fan and away better !! The air goes out of the stadium when Rudi comes into the game, a bunch of people in our section ( Not me, because I won't boo my team ! ) would boo when Rudi came into the game.

I have a Rudi jersey and t-shirt & have always been a big fan, but we should play the best RB & the clearly isn't Rudi !!!!!!

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='606714' date='Dec 9 2007, 09:05 PM']\

Old, I usually agree with most you write on this board, but this time I couldn't disagree with you more !

Rudi had some good runs late today, true. [b]But if Rudi gets 8 yards, you can figure Kenny or Dede would have gotten 18 yards. Its just the truth ![/b] How can Dede sit the bench when he DOMINATES when he plays ?

Rudi can run well ( If the hole is big enough for a Mack truck to run through ) but its clear Kenny & Dede are fan and away better !! The air goes out of the stadium when Rudi comes into the game, a bunch of people in our section ( Not me, because I won't boo my team ! ) would boo when Rudi came into the game.

I have a Rudi jersey and t-shirt & have always been a big fan, but we should play the best RB & the clearly isn't Rudi !!!!!![/quote]

I agree that I'd rather see more of DeDe, but you can't just make that assumption. The defense reacts differently depending on who's in there. Early on, Rudi was getting no blocking on the inside.

Its interesting, I've never seen an O-line play so bad for most of the game, but the offense still almost get 200yds rushing. They turned it on in the second half, and DeDe's 45yder helped skew the statistics (as it was more of a pass and the o-line had little to do with the play).

[quote]Rudi was getting no blocking on the inside.[/quote]

I've heard that over and over, but watch some tape of past games. It's just not the case, Rudi sidesteps, dances, hesitates even when the hole is there. He doesn't have that burst to run through the hole.

I admit though, no matter who is in the line doesn't alway create space.

If a guy had 4 rushes for 81 yards, wouldn't you play the guy some more ? To watch Dede make guys miss, be quick, fast, & break tackles, I can't believe he doesn't see more chances !

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='606724' date='Dec 9 2007, 09:25 PM']I've heard that over and over, but watch some tape of past games. [b]It's just not the case[/b], Rudi sidesteps, dances, hesitates even when the hole is there. He doesn't have that burst to run through the hole.

I admit though, no matter who is in the line doesn't alway create space.

If a guy had 4 rushes for 81 yards, wouldn't you play the guy some more ? To watch Dede make guys miss, be quick, fast, & break tackles, I can't believe he doesn't see more chances ![/quote]

did you watch the guys hitting Rudi 3 and 4 yds in the backfield today? As I said above, I'd love to see Dede to get more action, but let's not pretend that the O-line is blocking great consistently. It's more a matter of that the o-line isn't good enough for Rudi's style to be effective at the moment. Dede and Watson have the moves to make the crappy o-line blocking less apparent.

[quote]did you watch the guys hitting Rudi 3 and 4 yds in the backfield today?[/quote]

Yes, I was 7 rows from the field. Did you see him dance ? Even on the TD run ?

Its tough to watch ! We are just going to have to agree to disagree, because I KNOW Rudi is not the best or second best back and should NOT be getting the majority of carries !!

i cant imagine he will return next year even if he hits 300+ yards each of the last few games,,,

dede is earling a spot big time, hard to give up watson, and perry and irons are still around.. i easily see watson, irons, dorsey and jeremi as the crew next season... get a 3rd rounder or so for rudi...

Archived