In two weeks, team enters free agency mode

[quote][size=5][b]In two weeks, team enters free agency mode [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

SAN FRANCISCO - Bryan Robinson's perspective on free agency in the NFL hasn't changed in his 11 years in the league. The Bengals defensive end came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent, signing with St. Louis after his college days at Fresno State were through.

Robinson is one of 12 Bengals set to become unrestricted free agents after this season is finished.

"I've always approached it that your play will take care of everything in free agency," said Robinson. "Because I was undrafted everything has been based off of performance. To this day, I don't worry about free agency. Not at this stage of career. Somebody will know Bryan Robinson and know how he plays. He'll be there all of the time and he'll be ready to go. That's why I'll get my shot. It is off of performance."

The Bengals play at San Francisco tonight in a game featuring two teams that realize their seasons will come to an end sometime around 4 p.m. EST Dec. 30. The Bengals are 5-8, hoping to put a string of wins together so they can finish off the season with a .500 record. The 49ers have won just three of their 13 games and are destined to finish with a losing record for the fifth consecutive season.

Both teams are two weeks away from the end of their playing season and the start of the business season.

Six of the 12 potential unrestricted free agents - players who will be eligible to negotiate and sign with any team without the Bengals receiving compensation or holding a right of first refusal - are starters. Others, like Robinson, play key roles as backups or on special teams.

According to Sports Illustrated senior NFL writer Peter King, the Bengals are projected to have $31.45 million in cap space available to them when the 2008 NFL calendar year begins in three months. The projected salary cap for 2008 is $116 million per team, up from $109 million this year. Per King's projections, the Bengals will have the sixth highest amount of cap space to work with when free agency begins.

That is in three months. The Bengals, who have never been big players in the free agency market, signed just three unrestricted free agents from other teams last offseason: defensive tackles Michael Myers and Kenderick Allen and linebacker Ed Hartwell. Allen and Hartwell were released before the start of the regular season, while Myers has been a solid contributor to the defensive line rotation.

The Bengals spent up to their allotted cap space this season. They used their franchise tag, worth $8.6 million, for a one-year deal on defensive end Justin Smith. They also had large contract extensions for offensive tackles Levi Jones and Willie Anderson, both of whom signed their deals at the start of the 2006 season, and defensive end Robert Geathers. The Bengals signed Geathers to a long-term extension before he could become a restricted free agent last offseason.

The Bengals have not approached any of their potential unrestricted free agents or their representative about new deals yet.

"That's part of the business, and part of this profession right now," said head coach Marvin Lewis. "We'd really like to get some of the guys re-signed, no question. I don't know if we will or not. We'll see what happens. I don't want that to get in the way of what they have to do. They're trying to put their resume out there for everyone - us included."

Among the starters are offensive lineman Stacy Andrews, safety Madieu Williams and linebacker Landon Johnson. All were part of the team's 2004 draft class. Johnson, a third-round pick, leads the team in tackles this season, as he has done in two of the previous three seasons, and is the only linebacker to start every game this season. Johnson has never missed a game in four seasons and started 50 of 61 games in his career.

Williams has been a fixture in the secondary since the Bengals selected him in the second round in 2004. Andrews was one of three picks the Bengals had in the fourth round, along with Geathers. He had played just five games in college after walking on to the Mississippi football team following an All-American career as a weight thrower in track and field.

Andrews has played in all 13 games this season, starting 11 times; he was the left guard in the first three games and has started in place of an injured Willie Anderson at right tackle in eight of the last nine games. He will get his ninth start at right tackle tonight against the 49ers.

"We all were making the joke the other day that once teams see Stacy the biggest thing you see is his size and mass," said Anderson. "When you see the things he can do on the field with his speed and agility and quickness, I know for sure we want to keep him here. But business is business."

Andrews took a visit to the New York Jets last offseason as a restricted free agent but did not receive an offer. He should get more action on the open market if the Bengals don't first work out a deal to keep him in Cincinnati.

"I feel real blessed to be in the situation that I am and the situation of being picked in the fourth round being with the limited experience I had and it's paying off," said Andrews. "I'm just looking to play the season out and finish out good and continue to get better. I'll worry about the rest of that at a later date, but right now I'm focused on this game here and getting better each game."

Andrews is espousing the point of view that Lewis has taught players to understand. Veterans such as Bryan Robinson learned the lesson long ago. Robinson would like to return next season, if they want him back and the two sides can work out an equitable deal.

"I'm still productive, I'm healthy and I can still move. I would love to come back here but it is business and I understand that. I wouldn't be upset one way or another," said Robinson. "I wasn't even drafted. I've got the same mindset every year. One team's trash is another team's treasure. That's how I look at it."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071215/SPT03/712150370/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...70/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Unrestricted free agents [/b][/size]

The Bengals have 12 players who are eligible to become unrestricted free agents at the end of this season. Six of the players are starters but several others are play key backup roles.

Player Pos. Comment
Stacy Andrews OL Should be a top priority given time team has spent developing him and his long-term potential.

Antonio Chatman WR-PR Injuries have kept him from being a consistent contributor but he fills a niche when healthy.

Aaron Elling K Injury replacement for Shayne Graham in preseason was hurt himself on only play he participated in. Don't expect to be back.

Landon Johnson LB Quiet leader on defense who can play any LB spot. All he's done is lead team in tackles three of his four seasons.

Dhani Jones LB Where would the Bengals LB corps be without the 9-year vet? Would be a good investment to bring back.

Kyle Larson P Underrated part of special teams only three touchbacks in 47 punts this season compared to 17 inside the 20.

Lemar Marshall LB Was making an impact before torn Achilles ended season. Health will be a determining factor.

Caleb Miller LB Back injury ended season after three games but a good role player who can help on special teams.

Bryan Robinson DL Strong veteran leader could return if price is right. Still wants to play a couple more years.

Justin Smith DE Bengals won't franchise tag him again but he is worth trying to bring back with a long-term deal at a reasonable price.

Alex Stepanovich C Played well in spell of an injured Eric Ghiaciuc early in season.

Madieu Williams S Versatile enough to play CB but could be allowed to test free agency market with Marvin White and Chinedum Ndukwe waiting in the wings.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071215/SPT03/712150369/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...69/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote name='VonBlade' post='609100' date='Dec 15 2007, 02:17 PM']Should be no way that Robinson, Smith and Chatman come back. But they'd be mad not to bring Dhani and Landon back.[/quote]

chatmans injuries are disturbing for sure but he is remotely usefull. holt needs to stay healthy too tho.

im torn on landon and dhani, landon could likely start and get paid more elsewhere, dhani would be a nice backup here, if he is starting we are in trouble, in jeanty or landon are our worst linebackers we will be in good shape. but they arnet that great...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='609105' date='Dec 15 2007, 02:40 PM']chatmans injuries are disturbing for sure but he is remotely usefull. holt needs to stay healthy too tho.

im torn on landon and dhani, landon could likely start and get paid more elsewhere, dhani would be a nice backup here, if he is starting we are in trouble, in jeanty or landon are our worst linebackers we will be in good shape. but they arnet that great...[/quote]

I think Chatman's injuries were unlucky...when he was with GB he was healthy and very productive. His injuries seem to be behind him. I would keep him, Andrews, Larson, and Dhani......pretty much the rest can walk. I like Landon and think he is solid, but he is a pretty mediocre player.

If I can dream for a minute, I'd like to see them sign the best LB out there in free agency, then draft all defense and a TE.

Let Justin and his two 4 million dollar sacks walk.

Lock up Williams long term.

I'm willing to give Chapman another camp. Keep Dhani and Landon unless they think they should be paid starter money.

Andrews at RT. Pay the man.

Larson has earned a re-up as well I think. I'd like to see him work on his specialty punts but he has the leg, no doubt.

I would also like to see the Bengals devote an offseason to training a replacement for St. Louis. I just think he is a choke artist. It is one of those intangibles that is not scouted, for the most part. When all the chips are on the line, some guys take it to the next level, others fold. In the limited "all or none" situations the Bengals have been in the past 3 years, St. Louis has blown it almost every time, has he not?

Of course, much of this was my wish list from last offseason, but as long as they don't keep Justin they should have the ducets to play a few hands this time around.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='609146' date='Dec 15 2007, 03:44 PM']If I can dream for a minute, I'd like to see them sign the best LB out there in free agency, then draft all defense and a TE.

I'm willing to give Chapman another camp. Keep Dhani and Landon unless they think they should be paid starter money.

Larson has earned a re-up as well I think. I'd like to see him work on his specialty punts but he has the leg, no doubt.

I would also like to see the Bengals devote an offseason to training a replacement for St. Louis. I just think he is a choke artist. It is one of those intangibles that is not scouted, for the most part. When all the chips are on the line, some guys take it to the next level, others fold. In the limited "all or none" situations the Bengals have been in the past 3 years, St. Louis has blown it almost every time, has he not?

Of course, much of this was my wish list from last offseason, but as long as they don't keep Justin they should have the ducets to play a few hands this time around.[/quote]

as my broken record continues, free agents are risky, especially DL and LB's, they can only be as good as those around them, put teddy bruschi on the tampa bay bucks and he is hardly a blurb on the roster, paying noe dude tons of cash isnt going to help unless the rest of the cast is improved we would certainly be wasting money, AT wasnt exactly surrounded by scrubbs with suggs and ray lewis back there.

FA's are some risky motherfuckers.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='609155' date='Dec 15 2007, 03:58 PM']as my broken record continues, free agents are risky, especially DL and LB's, they can only be as good as those around them, put teddy bruschi on the tampa bay bucks and he is hardly a blurb on the roster, paying noe dude tons of cash isnt going to help unless the rest of the cast is improved we would certainly be wasting money, AT wasnt exactly surrounded by scrubbs with suggs and ray lewis back there.

FA's are some risky motherfuckers.[/quote]

First round picks are as well i.e. Pollack, Perry, Wilkinson, Carter, Warrick, Akili Smith, Klingler...and so on....should we just give up our 1st round picks to minimize risks?

The only way to win in NFL is to take some calculated risks...

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='609146' date='Dec 15 2007, 04:44 PM']If I can dream for a minute, I'd like to see them sign the best LB out there in free agency, then draft all defense and a TE.

Of course, much of this was my wish list from last offseason, but as long as they don't keep Justin they should have the ducats to play a few hands this time around.[/quote]

The RFA's should all be tendered. Let Justin walk. For the UFAs my priorities would be Stacey, a FA DE, then a FA LB, then a TE.

Stacey will probably want to use Steinbach or his brother's contracts as a model. Since he hasn't made a pro bowl, we should be able to get him cheaper than that. Signing Stacey will probably mean releasing Willie.

Larson is an ok punter but is becoming high priced. We could find a rookie punter for about a third of the cost.

Madieu should be offered a new deal but not big bucks.

Dhani should be offered an extension as a backup. Landon deserves starter's money but I'd like to sign a Dansby or Briggs instead.

Robinson should be allowed to leave. We should go after Jared Allen hard if he hits free agency. He'll probably get tagged so Suggs would be the next choice. He probably won't get tagged but might want to play elsewhere. Corey Williams would be a good signing too. Dallas Clark would be nice if he's available. The team should be able to extend Stacey and sign a couple of significant free agents.
Of course being the Bengals, they probably will miss out on the chance to purloin other team's talent and will save the money for a training camp extension for Henry or TJ.

[quote name='sparky151' post='609209' date='Dec 15 2007, 04:31 PM']The RFA's should all be tendered. Let Justin walk. For the UFAs my priorities would be Stacey, a FA DE, then a FA LB, then a TE.

Stacey will probably want to use Steinbach or his brother's contracts as a model. Since he hasn't made a pro bowl, we should be able to get him cheaper than that. [b]Signing Stacey will probably mean releasing Willie.
[/b]
Larson is an ok punter but is becoming high priced. We could find a rookie punter for about a third of the cost.

Madieu should be offered a new deal but not big bucks.

Dhani should be offered an extension as a backup. Landon deserves starter's money but I'd like to sign a Dansby or Briggs instead.

Robinson should be allowed to leave. We should go after Jared Allen hard if he hits free agency. He'll probably get tagged so Suggs would be the next choice. He probably won't get tagged but might want to play elsewhere. Corey Williams would be a good signing too. Dallas Clark would be nice if he's available. The team should be able to extend Stacey and sign a couple of significant free agents.
Of course being the Bengals, they probably will miss out on the chance to purloin other team's talent and will save the money for a training camp extension for Henry or TJ.[/quote]

We may as well get rid of Big Willie--he's always injured and I can't see him making it through another NFL season. Besides that, his bitching has really gotten old--if you're not playing, you should keep your fucking mouth shut about the team's performance.

[quote name='sparky151' post='609209' date='Dec 15 2007, 05:31 PM']Larson is an ok punter but is becoming high priced. We could find a rookie punter for about a third of the cost.[/quote]

Don't underestimate his growth potential. He's still getting better, and his holding for Shayne has been KEY this year.

Archived