My piont of view, without beer, asshole, or homer goggles on.

This was the worst game I have watched in the entire marvin lewis era. it was painful, and actually had me in a foul mood. as much as i preach "what do you expect out of backups" the backups played shitty, even for backups, our backup players have been playing out of their minds good all year, and they still stunk, and they played poorly and it was painful.

The offense: The lack of running game has given teams an open window to just drop as many back as possible, if a quick back like dorsey comes in, leave a LB or 2 on run coverage and drop everyone else still. i expect to see this style 2 more times this year.

If we cant run, we cant have much success through the air, our drives were short and meaningless, the deep ball bailed us out a time or two, but no QB/WR trio in the league can overcome ZERO running game we had 61 rushing yards as a team. barely over 3 yards per carry. there can be no success on offense without a rushing threat. the blocking is non existant, and so seems to be the effort on soem of the RB's part.

the QB/WR passing issues, been going on for weeks, no one without a playbook knows whats going wrong. it seems to be lack of effort on the WR part as far as the route, a palmer overthrow problem should take 15 minutes to cure, not 3 weeks, so my judgement points to the WR.

DEFENSE: the LB group is worthless, if Landon is anything but our worst starting LB next year, we are in a world of trouble again. brooks would ahve been a big help this year, but maybe 8-8 or 9-7 tops, with the other injuries and missing guys, its lights out terrible in the middle of this defense, the DB's have no coverage help from the LB's and its hurting their play, so much in fact i cant honestly even assess their play, maybe they are palying great under the LB circumstances.. i cant even tell with the LB's this bad. The dline is the same as the DB's, with no LB threat 5-6 guys can block 4 rushers almost every time with no trouble. who knows whats going on there good or bad, impossible to judge with no supporting cast.

Special teams: layed an egg this week with shitty coverage... really not a game changer in any direction, but could be better. really the least of the problems right now.

all in all, next week could be as ugly as the first time. only without 40_ points by us. lets hope some adrenaline from the rivalry and ass kicking we took kicks some guys into gear..

ill root to win until the last game whistle, and the next day i will start planning what to do in the draft...

should be an eventful offseason one way or another.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='610058' date='Dec 16 2007, 12:52 AM']you make it seem as if carson is perfect. he has plenty of issues as well.[/quote]

then you dont read so well.

his struggles are easily and with common sense atrributed to bigger more troubling issues within the team, not to mention he is 5th, in the nfl in passing yards. and 9th in TD's.

i know facts and common sense can get confusing for you, but try to think outside the box.

only the cardinals game was laced with bad decisions, his other mistakes seem to be based on trying to force passes and keep drives alive. you know, with no running game defense and mediocre special teams...

Id like to see this team go to a 3-4 next season...

We need playmaking linebackers...Brooks and Jeanty should be decent..stick Geathers back at backer and draft a Laurinitis type backer ..

Second round get a Frank Okam type NT and put Peko and maybe Fanene on each side of him.
That would give the team some hogs up front and more big playmaking backers to rush of make tackles for the team.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='610067' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:20 AM']Id like to see this team go to a 3-4 next season...

We need playmaking linebackers...Brooks and Jeanty should be decent..stick Geathers back at backer and draft a Laurinitis type backer ..

Second round get a Frank Okam type NT and put Peko and maybe Fanene on each side of him.
That would give the team some hogs up front and more big playmaking backers to rush of make tackles for the team.[/quote]
we dont have linebackers now. may as well play a 5-2.

i dont think putting an extra linebacker ont he field will help anything at all.

maybe if pollack comes back
maybe if odell is in football shape
maybe of brooks stays healthy and learns the playbook
maybe if landon johnson is resigned

that's a shit load of maybe's

[quote name='Tigris' post='610070' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:26 AM']we dont have linebackers now. may as well play a 5-2.

i dont think putting an extra linebacker ont he field will help anything at all.

that's a shit load of maybe's[/quote]
so you dont think Jeanty, Brooks, Laurinitis and Geathers is better than what we have?

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='610074' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:30 AM']so you dont think Jeanty, Brooks, Laurinitis and Geathers is better than what we have?[/quote]
if we move geathers (the only pass rusher on this team that doesnt suck) to LB long term then we are fucking morons and should be removed from the NFL. he wont ever be able to cover anyone and he can actually put pressure on the QB. sadly he has had no LB help behind him and its tough for the front 4 to beat 5 or 6 blockers.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='610060' date='Dec 16 2007, 12:56 AM']then you dont read so well.

his struggles are easily and with common sense atrributed to bigger more troubling issues within the team, not to mention he is 5th, in the nfl in passing yards. and 9th in TD's.

[b]i know facts and common sense can get confusing for you, but try to think outside the box.
[/b]
only the cardinals game was laced with bad decisions, his other mistakes seem to be based on trying to force passes and keep drives alive. you know, with no running game defense and mediocre special teams...[/quote]

considering we agree on 90% of the opinions about the bengals on here i wouldnt say that. and if you dont believe me ask dan. we are way too similar with some of this shit (it freaks me out).

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='610075' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:33 AM']if we move geathers (the only pass rusher on this team that doesnt suck) to LB long term then we are fucking morons and should be removed from the NFL. he wont ever be able to cover anyone and he can actually put pressure on the QB. sadly he has had no LB help behind him and its tough for the front 4 to beat 5 or 6 blockers.[/quote]
i disagree

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='610067' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:20 AM']Id like to see this team go to a 3-4 next season...

That would give the team some hogs up front and more big playmaking backers to rush of make tackles for the team.[/quote]

not a single coach we have ran the 3-4, nor did the new stand in soon to takeover DC, nor do we have any of the personel, and even moving people, thats like 3 new starters and 2-3 guys in new spots and a completely new scheme and roles for EVERYONE. if there is a way to make the defense LESS consistant than this year, that just might be it. the 4-3 is hardly whats ailing us, lack of players on the field with skill, especially at linebacker, thus i would think a scheme that requires MORE linebackers would be a bit crazy..

[quote name='Tigris' post='610070' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:26 AM']we dont have linebackers now. may as well play a 5-2.

that's a shit load of maybe's[/quote]

and add to that players changing roles. geathers didnt exactly blow me away palying LB. we just dont have any of the staff for it i dont think. coaching or players.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='610074' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:30 AM']so you dont think Jeanty, Brooks, Laurinitis and Geathers is better than what we have?[/quote]

maybe, a badass, not even on the team, a big maybe at new position.

seems like a stretch... some healthy and consistancy on the defensive side of the ball would work wonders for this team.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='610058' date='Dec 16 2007, 12:52 AM']you make it seem as if carson is perfect. he has plenty of issues as well.[/quote]

IMO if we have any type of running game that needs to accounted for than Carson will go back to being Carson...right now has 4 reads available and 7 guys in coverage hints all of the swing passes to Kenny Watson

[quote name='schnittke33' post='610100' date='Dec 16 2007, 10:04 AM']Any WR can get open on any DB if there is not pressure from the D-line or LB's....... that is our big problem. We have good talented DB's but we can't get pressure on the QB and we give the WR plenty of time to get open.. -_-[/quote]

Hall struggles with double moves but D-Jax just flat out owned him on simple quick developing routes, no pressure in world would have saved him. It was really painfull to listen Deion Sanders (who actually knows something about DB's) adressing issues our secondary has. As he stated playing with outside leverage on short field is something that really tells much about the state of our D. Either scheme is totally fucked up or players just can't execute.

[quote name='Nordman' post='610117' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:48 AM']Hall struggles with double moves but D-Jax just flat out owned him on simple quick developing routes, no pressure in world would have saved him. It was really painfull to listen Deion Sanders (who actually knows something about DB's) adressing issues our secondary has. As he stated playing with outside leverage on short field is something that really tells much about the state of our D. Either scheme is totally fucked up or players just can't execute.[/quote]

A bit of both...but definitely leaning more scheme.

What defensive scheme do the top defenses run??

Pissburgh 3-4
New England is a hybrid 3-4 I believe...

who else?

Indianapolis Tampa two..two deep safeties.
Tampa Bay Tampa two

Baltimore 3-4
Dallas 3-4

Tennesee, Giants, Packers, Eagles all run the 4-3.....thats the top 10

My point to all of this is I think it has nothing to do with scheme and more to do with individual coaching/playcalling, scouting/getting players that fit the scheme, and overall health of the team....

[quote name='Sigfox09' post='610116' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:37 AM']IMO if we have any type of running game that needs to accounted for than Carson will go back to being Carson...right now has 4 reads available and 7 guys in coverage hints all of the swing passes to Kenny Watson[/quote]

I don't watch the Pats because they are dirty cheats and I care only about the Bengals, but from what I understand they don't even bother running the ball -- they just throw, throw, throw, throw. Is this accurate? If yes, doesn't this poke holes in the "running game is a must" theory?

-jd

in my opinion carson has been off since about week 3 with a few good prefomances sprinkled in (titans, jets) but he isn't the only one, chad is getting open and carson is overthowing him or throwing it too high and other times when carson does deliver chad drops it, so both those guys need to work on thier chemistry this offseason, tj has been great, chris has droped a few too many balls for my liking but he has produced, it pains me to see rudi in the backfield so much and not watson or dede our lack of a running gam is killing us being able to run well is just as important as passing well, our o-line has been medicore this year but you have to think it is not them mostly when dede or watson run well but not rudi

our D... oh shit don't get me started on the d-line john thorton is a waste of 3 mil and i am glad peko is taking away reps because peko played pretty good yesterday, justin is a horrible DE and i saw him only make 1 tackle that was around the line of scrimmage and not 6 yards past it :angry: , i love robert geathers but the man needs help, our LBs... man oh man cory mays stick to special teams, i pray we have the guts to go after suggs, i hope brooks comes back healthy, and we need to resign landon and dhani, next year i hope for suggs-brooks-landon with jeanty, dhani, schlegal, and whoever of the others who can play ST i think we have a very good secondary but you can't tell because our front seven can't pressure the QB :angry: , although i can tell that djax is done, white and duke will share time next year, i hop we can resign madieu but if it means using his money for suggs than do it, and we need to fire the hayes brothers, bresh, and bratkowski for O, but none of that will happen and we will probaly resign justin and thorton to big deals, as well as our coaches <_<

[quote name='doogles' post='610126' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:20 AM']I don't watch the Pats because they are dirty cheats and I care only about the Bengals, but from what I understand they don't even bother running the ball -- they just throw, throw, throw, throw. Is this accurate? If yes, doesn't this poke holes in the "running game is a must" theory?

-jd[/quote]

New England is the 14th ranked rushing offense in the league....I would say that is enough that teams will not always drop 7 in coverage on them.

[quote name='doogles' post='610126' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:20 AM']I don't watch the Pats because they are dirty cheats and I care only about the Bengals, but from what I understand they don't even bother running the ball -- they just throw, throw, throw, throw. Is this accurate? If yes, doesn't this poke holes in the "running game is a must" theory?

-jd[/quote]

No but it does show you a offensive coaching staff that revamps the playbook to compensate the players they have.

Crazy idea I know.

Problem is, we have a bunch of one dimensional players on offense.

Rudi - nuff said.
TEs - great blockers, cant catch.
Chad - won't block.
Chris Henry - same

Running game is not a must. Coaching innovation is a rarity though. I'll leave it at that.

Archived