just a quick question

am i the only one who thinks whit should be the RT and andrews should be the LG?

i think that switch would do wonders for the o-line (still need a better center though)

whit is a natural tackle and played good last year in the place of levi, i never fully got the idea of moving him to guard

andrews i think can play good anywhere on the line except center, and wasn't he a back up guard early in his career here?

thoughts?

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='610197' date='Dec 16 2007, 11:46 AM'][b]
am i the only one who thinks whit should be the RT and andrews should be the LG?[/b]

i think that switch would do wonders for the o-line (still need a better center though)

whit is a natural tackle and played good last year in the place of levi, i never fully got the idea of moving him to guard

andrews i think can play good anywhere on the line except center, and wasn't he a back up guard early in his career here?

thoughts?[/quote]

yes

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='610197' date='Dec 16 2007, 10:46 AM']am i the only one who thinks whit should be the RT and andrews should be the LG?

thoughts?[/quote]

Yes, Andrews played backup G, and started at RG for Bobbie Williams in several games last year... and he started at LG earlier this year when Levi was hurt. Both Whit and Andrews can play both G and T. Whitworth was a 4-year starter at LT at LSU, and I think he can be a very good T as a pro (he played well overall there as a rookie last year).

That said, I think ML and crew see Stacy at RT, so if he stays, that's where he'll likely play.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='610197' date='Dec 16 2007, 11:46 AM']am i the only one who thinks whit should be the RT and andrews should be the LG?

thoughts?[/quote]

I was wondering that myself this morning. Whitworth has spent his entire life at tackle, and appears to be struggling somewhat at guard. I think he will eventually do just fine, but had Stacey kept playing LG and Whit played RT when Willie went down, it may have worked out better.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='610284' date='Dec 16 2007, 02:08 PM']I believe Whitworth is a RT as well but appaently the team wants to make a guard out of him..
6'7" guards get alot of leverage you know...and Whit is great at pulling!!! :lol:
Lewis will keep what he has and keep digging ( doubt he'll get out of this HOLE thugh)[/quote]

It's true that guards are typically shorter than 6-4, but there are exceptions. Bruce Reimers was one of the better guards the Bengals have had in the last 25 years, and he was 6-7. And Whitworth is a better athlete... not a pulling guard especially, but he can move well.

I agree that I think Whitworth's a better fit at T than G, but it's not unprecedented that a guy that tall can't be an effective guard... just like a DT doesn't have to be under 6-4 to be able to effectively get leverage on an O-lineman. You've got guys like Marcus Stroud and John Henderson who have been very good, and both are at least 6-5 (Henderson is 6-7).

Archived