Here's the Solution

*disclaimer*

I've never played or coached football, but I've watch and here are three ideas on how to fix the team we love.

1. I'm "old school" and believe you build a team starting with both lines. Sad to say, our offensive and defensive lines have been a major disapointment this year. We need to draft at least two defensive linemen in the draft. I know a lot of people don't like Justin Smith, but if we can resign him for a decent contract, I think we have to keep him. We're not in a position where we can afford to let warm bodies go. Let him battle it out in camp with one maybe two draft picks and see where the cards fall. I think the DTs are average, not the worst in the league, but by far not the best. We could survive another year or two with JT and Peko starting.
On offense, I'm in the group that thinks we need a new center via free agency. I'm not sure whose out there, but we need someone. It just seems to me Carson has way too much pressue on him this season. True the tackles haven't been as good as in years past, but how often do we see Carson be able to step up into the pocket to buy an extra second or so for the recievers to get open? I think next year the tackles will be better.

2. Offensive playcalling; read that how you want to. I think we need to pull the reigns on Carson and not go to so much no huddle. It seems like we're not running it as much as we have in previous years, but until our offense gets more consistant, I think it hurts us more than it helps. In the 9ers game that third quarter is a perfect example of how that type of offense doesn't help a struggling D. The D just gave up a 6+ minute drive, needed rest, and the O goes 3 & out taking just over a minute off of the clock...not good. The O is supposed to be the strong point of the team and if they had played to their potential this year, we would still be in the playoff talk.

3. Carson. If CP can regain trust in his O-Line and get on the same page with his recievers, this offense should go back to being very good. While not have a running game has hurt him, based on what others have said, he's not even seeing wide open recievers and I have to believe that. It seems like everytime he throws it over the middle, there are at least three defenders in the area. Carson needs to settle down and make his reads. This off seasons, I'd like to see Chad join CP and TJ in Cali to do some work. Also, CP isnt' considered to be a mobile QB, but he does have some ablity. Let's not forget last year vs. the Saints when he rolled out of the pocket as the pressue came and he hit Chad for a TD. I think Carson struggles with his pocket presense. I'd like to see him out of the pocket sometimes when the pressue comes. As CP goes, so goes the team.

Thoughts?

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='610643' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:01 AM']*disclaimer*

I've never played or coached football, but I've watch and here are three ideas on how to fix the team we love.

1. I'm "old school" and believe you build a team starting with both lines. Sad to say, our offensive and defensive lines have been a major disapointment this year. We need to draft at least two defensive linemen in the draft. I know a lot of people don't like Justin Smith, but if we can resign him for a decent contract, I think we have to keep him. We're not in a position where we can afford to let warm bodies go. Let him battle it out in camp with one maybe two draft picks and see where the cards fall. I think the DTs are average, not the worst in the league, but by far not the best. We could survive another year or two with JT and Peko starting.
On offense, I'm in the group that thinks we need a new center via free agency. I'm not sure whose out there, but we need someone. It just seems to me Carson has way too much pressue on him this season. True the tackles haven't been as good as in years past, but how often do we see Carson be able to step up into the pocket to buy an extra second or so for the recievers to get open? I think next year the tackles will be better.

2. Offensive playcalling; read that how you want to. I think we need to pull the reigns on Carson and not go to so much no huddle. It seems like we're not running it as much as we have in previous years, but until our offense gets more consistant, I think it hurts us more than it helps. In the 9ers game that third quarter is a perfect example of how that type of offense doesn't help a struggling D. The D just gave up a 6+ minute drive, needed rest, and the O goes 3 & out taking just over a minute off of the clock...not good. The O is supposed to be the strong point of the team and if they had played to their potential this year, we would still be in the playoff talk.

3. Carson. If CP can regain trust in his O-Line and get on the same page with his recievers, this offense should go back to being very good. While not have a running game has hurt him, based on what others have said, he's not even seeing wide open recievers and I have to believe that. It seems like everytime he throws it over the middle, there are at least three defenders in the area. Carson needs to settle down and make his reads. This off seasons, I'd like to see Chad join CP and TJ in Cali to do some work. Also, CP isnt' considered to be a mobile QB, but he does have some ablity. Let's not forget last year vs. the Saints when he rolled out of the pocket as the pressue came and he hit Chad for a TD. I think Carson struggles with his pocket presense. I'd like to see him out of the pocket sometimes when the pressue comes. As CP goes, so goes the team.

Thoughts?[/quote]

On point number 3....Remember about a year ago everyone was saying Brett Favre was washed up and needs to retire? Then the Packers upgraded their O-line and gave him a running game, and now he is near the top of the league again?? We should follow the same formula. Nobody thinks we can break a big run of 20 yards or more so they don't keep 8 or sometimes even 7 in the box to stop it.

Why don't they think we can break a big run??? Because we have'nt in two years....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610798' date='Dec 17 2007, 03:17 PM']On point number 3....Remember about a year ago everyone was saying Brett Favre was washed up and needs to retire? Then the Packers upgraded their O-line and gave him a running game, and now he is near the top of the league again?? We should follow the same formula. Nobody thinks we can break a big run of 20 yards or more so they don't keep 8 or sometimes even 7 in the box to stop it.

Why don't they think we can break a big run??? Because we have'nt in two years....[/quote]

the qb protection and RB issue are related. started mid last year and got worse this year. and the inconsistancy seems to stem from willie and levi. levi has shaped up, willie has got worse. his helthy just cant be trusted, we need to make a decision by may and get some continuity on the line.

willie may say he isnt going to retire, but when the depth chart comes out and he is #2 at RT, he will change his mind. should be interesting to see if he fucks the team over and retires late in the offseason, ..

also the beauty of him retiring, is we are off the hook for his salary and bonus money i believe, its all a wash, so we take no hit from it.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I don't agree with keeping John Thornton any more. He would be good if he was the 4th Dt in the rotation. I think they need a massive young DT any where from 320-340 lbs range. They need a guy that dents the middle of the other teams offensive line. Look at the plays where Rudi has been really ineffective, when Ghiapet gets pushed back 3-4 yards into the backfield. If the Bengals had a guy that could get consistent pressure up the middle that collapses the middle of the other teams line the Bengals D would be much improved. A guy like Haynesworth, Hampton, or Wilfork. They all consistently push the C back and break down the middle of the offensive line. I think this would help all of the dlineman. Justin Smith's #'s would go up along with Geathers. I am not all for resigning Justin Smith, and they could probably find a FA that has similar production as Jusin does for a lot less. I think they need to make some cuts in player personel like Justin, JT, Brob, Dexter, Willie Anderson, and Rudi. All these players are not worth what they are getting paid. Take this money and use it to go after some quality free agents. Even if you only get two, it is worth because these players can make a major impact to the D.

\In point 3, rolling Palmer out of the pocket will help a struggling offensive line, and it helps Palmer to buy time. Like you said he isn't the fastest with the ball, but it's not like he can't run when he needs to. Another thing I don't understand is if oppossing Ds are consitently dropping so many guys in coverage deeper to prevent the long ball because they drop their safeties deep, why can't the Bengals dink and dunk it up the field like so many other offenses do against the Bengals D? Maybe it is bad oline and having to keep an extra back or TE in there to help against the pass rush, but the Bengals seem to not have this play in their playbook when every other team seems to be able to complete short passes. I watch Rottenburger due this constantly down the field. It makes the oppossing D change preventing them from covering the deep part of the field, and keeps you away from 3 and outs put the Bengals defense back on the field.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='610802' date='Dec 17 2007, 03:29 PM']the qb protection and RB issue are related. started mid last year and got worse this year. and the inconsistancy seems to stem from willie and levi. levi has shaped up, willie has got worse. his helthy just cant be trusted, we need to make a decision by may and get some continuity on the line.

willie may say he isnt going to retire, but when the depth chart comes out and he is #2 at RT, he will change his mind. should be interesting to see if he fucks the team over and retires late in the offseason, ..

also the beauty of him retiring, is we are off the hook for his salary and bonus money i believe, its all a wash, so we take no hit from it.[/quote]

I agree the earlier Willie decides to stop playing or demand a trade the better. I knew as soon as they signed him to the new contract it was a waste of money and they should have resigned Steinbach for his salary. Atleast he has experience at the C position and isn't on the sidelines injured. So again why haven't they put Willie on IR yet? Hey maybe we will get him back against the Dolphins when we really need him when they make their playoff run. What a joke this team is.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='610802' date='Dec 17 2007, 03:29 PM']the qb protection and RB issue are related. started mid last year and got worse this year. and the inconsistancy seems to stem from willie and levi. levi has shaped up, willie has got worse. his helthy just cant be trusted, we need to make a decision by may and get some continuity on the line.

also the beauty of him retiring, is we are off the hook for his salary and bonus money i believe, its all a wash, so we take no hit from it.[/quote]

I disagree and I don't understand how you can use the lack of the running game this year to sell that idea. Willie hasn't played hardly any this year. If anything you should be complaining about Stacey. Our running game fell apart when Stacey took over at RT.

If you get rid of Willie, ...who will be the new veteran we bring in? How much will he cost us? Stacey isn't cutting it right now. He's still way too green.

Mark my words, ...Willie will play this week and our running game will pick up and Carson will settle down.

Our coaches can't afford to keep in the experiment that is Stacey. They will start Willie this week because they must if they want any hope of a win.

Well they should have moved Whitworth instead of Stacy Andrews to RT. Willie isn't cutting it any more. Why would you want Stacy to walk because they can't afford to resign him and keep Willie. It doesn't make sense. Even if Andrews is a little green the guy didn't start in college and has played pretty good for how much experience he has. I think you move Whit to RT in the offseason, resign Stacy to play LG, and either cut, trade, or Willie retires. What happens next season when Willie starts the first couple of games and then gets another injury that keeps him out the rest of the season? Then pull the same crap they did this season and keep Willie on the roster when he should have been placed on IR.

WRApradio: i agree with all of your points, you hit the nail on the head, i would like to add a few

1. sign terrel suggs, karlos dansby or another impact linebacker

2. keep ahmad brooks healthy, and blitz him often next year

3. draft any two of these four: chris ellis/frank okam, quinten groves, chris ellis, or chris long

Thoughts?[/quote]

1a. I agree we need to draft at least 2 D-linemen, and at least one of them needs to be in the first 2 rounds. I would not be opposed to taking something other than a D-lineman in 1 if it's someone like Laurinaitis, but thew first round MUST be defense. As for Justin Smith, we [b]won't[/b] be able to sign him for a reasonable contract, so that is a moot point. I also think JT and B-Rob can both walk. I would love to see us bring in Antwan Odom or Corey Williams. These are not the top names out there, but they are young and more likely to be signed than Allen or Haynesworth. I'd love one of them, but it will not happen. Draft options include [b]DT[/b]: Sedrick Ellis or Pat Sims in 1, or Frank Okam in 2. At [b]DE[/b]: Vernon Gholston, Chris Long, Calais Campbell or possibly Quinten Groves or the kid from South Florida (should he come out) in 1, or Chris Ellis or Chris Harrington in 2.

1b. No unit relies on continuity more than the offensive line, and that is one area that was blown up in the past couple years. I think this offensive line will be fine with PT as a unit and some luck with injuries. But if we are unable to re-sign Andrews I would not be opposed to a 4 or 5 on O-line for depth. Or maybe a 3 if we get one as comp.

2. As for our offensive playcalling, it has gotten too predictable. But I don't lay that on Carson and the no huddle. We don't run it as much this year and we still suck in the red zone. To me the problem is a combination of O-line continuity and the lack of a reliable bell cow. I don't know if Rudi has "lost it" but it sure looks like it. Add the injury problems with Irons and Perry, we don't have a 25 carry a game go to back. And don't draft another one this year. I would seriously pursue Michael Turner, Julius Jones or Justin Fargas in FA.

3. As for Carson I would have him and Zampese working closely together in the offseason studying film from 2005, and working daily with Chad, TJ and Slim. And I would tell Chad "I don't care what you do for celebrations, but while the drive is still on, and until the whistle has blown I expect you to shape up. You are one of our best players, you need to act like it and be a leader.

My own observations:

Other first round draft options would include James Laurinaitis or Dan Connor if they are the best defensive player available. If one of them is taken in 1, then the best DE or DT in 2.

And it may be finally time to draft a good pass catching TE, but not before the second round. I would not be opposed to trading down in 1 if it yields a 2 that could get us Fred Davis, John Carlson or Martin Rucker.

Lastly, I would completely blow up the defensive staff. They can fire every defensive coach and I would not be upset at all. I'm not ready to give up on the offensive coaches just yet. They have shown recently they can be successful. But I would not be opposed to bringing back Hue Jackson, or if they do decide to axe Bratt promoting Zampeze.

[quote name='Jason' post='610905' date='Dec 17 2007, 07:58 PM']Lastly, I would completely blow up the defensive staff. They can fire every defensive coach and I would not be upset at all. I'm not ready to give up on the offensive coaches just yet. They have shown recently they can be successful. But I would not be opposed to bringing back Hue Jackson, or if they do decide to axe Bratt promoting Zampeze.[/quote]

Word to the 2nd Power.

All the personnel additions and draft picks on Planet Earth will do nothing...if the brains calling the plays/schemes, have no brains. IMO...the coaching overhaul is Priority #1 this offseason.

[quote name='CJBESTINAFC' post='610861' date='Dec 17 2007, 05:50 PM']Well they should have moved Whitworth instead of Stacy Andrews to RT. Willie isn't cutting it any more. Why would you want Stacy to walk because they can't afford to resign him and keep Willie. It doesn't make sense. Even if Andrews is a little green the guy didn't start in college and has played pretty good for how much experience he has. I think you move Whit to RT in the offseason, resign Stacy to play LG, and either cut, trade, or Willie retires. What happens next season when Willie starts the first couple of games and then gets another injury that keeps him out the rest of the season? Then pull the same crap they did this season and keep Willie on the roster when he should have been placed on IR.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

Stacey is way more comfortable at the LG spot than is Whitworth. Whitworth is a natural tackle and I think you may be right that Stacey is a more natural guard. I agree that they should switch.

I disagree that Willie is done. I still think he has some left in the tank and I think we will see it these last two games.

in my opinion, coming from a brownie, theres two major things you need to click.
-Coaching. I dont care who the HC is, he needs to keep his players in line. The recent article describing your locker room should make you guys sick. Palmer has been a stand up QB for years, and you have a couple of assholes like TJ and ocho givign him lip? We have our running backs hosting "film nights" at their houses, where the RBs get together and study film. We have our guys going on road trips, fishing trips, etc. What you need is a coach who is going to keep the team together. You have all of the offensive weapons, but you arent able to utilize them because theres no gelling going on.
-O-line. Look what an o-line did for cleveland. Palmer needs to feel comfortable in the pocket, and your running game needs to have holes to make it through.

other than a lack of TEAM effort, and a solid line, you guys have a good team. Stop signing criminals and assholes, and build a decent line.

[quote name='ferenczkid' post='610928' date='Dec 17 2007, 09:22 PM']in my opinion, coming from a brownie, theres two major things you need to click.
-Coaching. I dont care who the HC is, he needs to keep his players in line. The recent article describing your locker room should make you guys sick. Palmer has been a stand up QB for years, and you have a couple of assholes like TJ and ocho givign him lip? We have our running backs hosting "film nights" at their houses, where the RBs get together and study film. We have our guys going on road trips, fishing trips, etc. What you need is a coach who is going to keep the team together. You have all of the offensive weapons, but you arent able to utilize them because theres no gelling going on.
-O-line. Look what an o-line did for cleveland. Palmer needs to feel comfortable in the pocket, and your running game needs to have holes to make it through.

other than a lack of TEAM effort, and a solid line, you guys have a good team. Stop signing criminals and assholes, and build a decent line.[/quote]

Can you please send back Steinbach?

Thanks.

hes doing a great job here, we're lucky to have him. I cant understand how the bengals front office gave him up, within the division while they were at it. did you guys pick him up via the draft or free agency? i didnt follow his career until he became a brown.

he's also a pretty stand up guy, who seems to have a great work ethic and positive influence in the locker room. cant say enough good things about him.

[quote name='ferenczkid' post='610986' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:38 AM']hes doing a great job here, we're lucky to have him. I cant understand how the bengals front office gave him up, within the division while they were at it. did you guys pick him up via the draft or free agency? i didnt follow his career until he became a brown.

he's also a pretty stand up guy, who seems to have a great work ethic and positive influence in the locker room. cant say enough good things about him.[/quote]
Just keep him out of boats and off any of the Great Lakes.... :1062: :1062:

Three words... Leadership, Leadership, Leadership

Every idea mentioned above is a good one... from a tactical perspective. However - if the leadership problems are not fixed on this team...then it is all for not. Evidence = the past 17 years.

Issue 1 = The front office. (Aka the Brown family). They have spoken with their pocketbooks (Carson is the one to lead the franchise to the promised land) yet hired a defensive-minded head coach (Marvin Lewis...who will not go for it on 4th and 1). This is a confused organization...the tone must be set from the top. The Brown family (preferrably Mike himself) needs to come out and publicly state - "We expect to win the Super Bowl". Ideally - this would also come with something that resembles a strategy or diirection. Such as "...by having the best offense in the league" or "...by having the best defense in the league". I really don't care which. I just want to see a strategy dictated from the top. It tells everyone which way to row.

Issue 2 = The coaches. From the outside, it looks like the coaches are dangerously close to losing the team. (If this has not happened already). Once the coaches lose the team... it is something barely short of impossible to regain control. A major change needs to occur in the off season. I would prefer to see one or both coordinators go (I still have faith in Marvin).

Issue 3 = The locker room. There is no such thing as "leadership by example" if it is the only leadership that exists. True leaders are vocal. There need to be a few players that grab the other players by the short hairs (figuratively) and set the tone in the locker room. Also, it seems like Chad & TJ are being portrayed as becoming cancers in the locker room. I have no idea if this is true since I have never set foot in the locker room. What I do know is that [b][u]IF[/u][/b] this is true, you have to get rid of one or both. Before anyone blasts this comment...you simply cannot allow a cancer to survive. Again......note the past 17 years (OK....16 of 17) of futility. I want to see this turned around ASAP - even if it means going with players that may have less natural ability but are willing to play for "team".

Once the Front office, the coaching staff, and a few "core" players are all rowing the same direction, the answers to the other questions (4-3 or 3-4?, re-sign player X or not?, who should we draft?) come into a lot clearer focus.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='611020' date='Dec 18 2007, 08:34 AM']Three words... Leadership, Leadership, Leadership

Every idea mentioned above is a good one... from a tactical perspective. However - if the leadership problems are not fixed on this team...then it is all for not. Evidence = the past 17 years.

Issue 1 = The front office. (Aka the Brown family). They have spoken with their pocketbooks (Carson is the one to lead the franchise to the promised land) yet hired a defensive-minded head coach (Marvin Lewis...who will not go for it on 4th and 1). This is a confused organization...the tone must be set from the top. The Brown family (preferrably Mike himself) needs to come out and publicly state - "We expect to win the Super Bowl". Ideally - this would also come with something that resembles a strategy or diirection. Such as "...by having the best offense in the league" or "...by having the best defense in the league". I really don't care which. I just want to see a strategy dictated from the top. It tells everyone which way to row.

Issue 2 = The coaches. From the outside, it looks like the coaches are dangerously close to losing the team. (If this has not happened already). Once the coaches lose the team... it is something barely short of impossible to regain control. A major change needs to occur in the off season. I would prefer to see one or both coordinators go (I still have faith in Marvin).

Issue 3 = The locker room. There is no such thing as "leadership by example" if it is the only leadership that exists. True leaders are vocal. There need to be a few players that grab the other players by the short hairs (figuratively) and set the tone in the locker room. Also, it seems like Chad & TJ are being portrayed as becoming cancers in the locker room. I have no idea if this is true since I have never set foot in the locker room. What I do know is that [b][u]IF[/u][/b] this is true, you have to get rid of one or both. Before anyone blasts this comment...you simply cannot allow a cancer to survive. Again......note the past 17 years (OK....16 of 17) of futility. I want to see this turned around ASAP - even if it means going with players that may have less natural ability but are willing to play for "team".

Once the Front office, the coaching staff, and a few "core" players are all rowing the same direction, the answers to the other questions (4-3 or 3-4?, re-sign player X or not?, who should we draft?) come into a lot clearer focus.[/quote]

Well put. Great points all around. This team has zero leadership. I'm sorry, just b/c Willie suffered through the bad times w/ this franchise, does not a leader make. This team is desperately searching for an identity or even someone to lead them in the right direction. Who's going to step up? Is that person to be even part of this organization right now?

We need to resign Kitna ------------ you think I'm nuts but even sitting the bench this guy provided the leadership that Carson cannot.

Make no mistake ---------- most of what is now going on is due to the lack of on field leadership especially on offense where Carson is suppose to be the leader.

Green Bay has a stout, opportunistic defense that belives in itself and performs when the lights shine.

This contribution eases the substansial burden from the mighty FAVA; allowing him to play just like nelly furtados snatch...loose, lubed, and in rhythm.

GLORIOUS!!!

Tank the rest of the season; please - and give us...the true Bengal nation - our Glen Dorsey. ( or equivalent pass rushing, run stuffing play making d-line man, or kick ass lambertesque (Insert FAVORITE DEFENSEIVE PLAYMAKERS NAME HERE...only faster) true grit linebacker,) and from tanking which we wouldn't have tread too far, we would engender a high (but not the highest) position within the forthcomming NFL draft, granting the ability to stock the team with many top tier playas who love the game, and give a shit.

In addition I would fire everybody, cause we suck, it ain't been good enough, and just like the whole wide world, we can do better. Fucking Smug ass, oh i get 5 million and you make 2 bucks who the fuck you think are asking me football related questions.

FOOTBALL IS REAL SCIENTIFIC ON DISS LEVEL, We don need no goot playas, we just need shitty non-movitatioal coaches who are freaking clueless to cash fat titan checks.

YEAH REAL SM<UG NOW HUH? AINT CHA?? But you got that security, that soft quilted Fluffy, MIKE BROWN sure is LOYAL comfort zone to keep you warm at night while the fans, the people who pay your shit wallow in shame cause you all suck, year after year, after year.

Take a cue from GRUDEN, cause you all ain't got a clue.

GET US PLAYERS and COACH THEM UP!!!

GET US DEPTH and GIVE THEM DOGS A GOOD NAME!!!

GO BE BELICHECKS FUCKING DISCIPLE!!!

LEARN FROM THE MOTHERFUCKIN MASTA!!!

SUPPLICATE!!!

PRAY!!!

CONFESS THAT YOU SUCK!!!

and WAKE THE FUCK UP BITCHES!!!

or I WILL WAGE A JIHAD OF MOTHERFUCKING WORDS WITHIN THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF THE 12TH MAN AND WAKE YOU THE FUCK UP by Slapping your ass cheeks!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

MUHHAAMAQWWAHAHAHAH!!!!

Kthanks.

I've[b] never[/b] played or coached football, but I've watch and here are three ideas on how to fix the team we love.
thoughts?[/quote]

My thought is how in the sam hill some crazy gonna use those words "I've NEVER"?

Perhaps 3 lives ago, 16 galaxies from here on a planet that bristles with life your were the greatest field goal kicker to ever play the sport of kings?

Hmmm?

Everr thought of That?

OHH RAH!!

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='611274' date='Dec 18 2007, 07:31 PM']I agree that Willie might find himself to be the backup by next opener.

Which wouldn't be the worst thing, except for his salary.[/quote]

agreed, though I think he's still pro bowl caliber when healthy. Keyword being healthy.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611309' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:32 PM']agreed, though I think he's still pro bowl caliber when healthy. Keyword being healthy.[/quote]
Man I could only wish he would be healthy.....
Its something the team has to decide on.. Is he worth paying all that money to be a part time player?
big decision there.

Archived