Rebuilding The Bengals 1.0

I know this is a way off but I'm just throwing some ideas out there. Let me know what you think.

[center]
[b]DRAFT[/b][/center]

1.[b] Vernon Gholston [/b]DE/OLB Ohio State-
[img]http://media.theinsiders.com/media/image/35/352082.jpg[/img]
This guy is a freak. Assuming he comes out early and Glenn Dorsey isn’t on the board I think he’s our next best option.
Will allow us to use both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes because Geathers and him both have the ability to play linebacker as well as rush the passes with a hand down.
2. [b]Martin Rucker [/b]TE Missouri
3. [b]Jonathan Goff [/b]MLB Vanderbilt
4. [b]Owen Schmitt [/b]FB West Virginia- Best fullback in the draft. Plays nasty with an attitude that we need on our team badly.
5. [b]Nick Hayden [/b]DT Wisconsin
6. [b]Heath Benedict [/b]OT Newberry
7. [b]Richard Clebert [/b]DT South Florida

[center][b]RELEASE:[/b][/center]

[center][b]Jeremi Johnson
Rudi Johnson
Marcus Maxwell
Nate Lawrie
Dexter Jackson
John Busing
Anthony Schlegel
Roy Manning
Jim Maxwell
John Thornton[/b][/center]

[center][b]OUR FREE AGENTS:[/b][/center]
[center][b]Rashad Jeanty[/b]- Keep
[b]Corey Mays[/b]- Let go
[b]Dan Burks[/b]- Let go
[b]Hernandez Jones[/b]- Keep
[b]Glenn Holt[/b]- Keep
[b]Jonathan Fanene[/b]- Keep
[b]Adam Kieft[/b]- Keep
[b]Ryan Fitzpatrick[/b]- Keep
[b]Nate Lawrie[/b]- Let go
[b]Tab Perry-[/b] Keep
[b]Justin Smith[/b]- Let go
[b]Bryan Robinson[/b]- Let go
[b]Dhani Jones[/b]- Keep
[b]Landon Johnson[/b]- Let go
[b]Caleb Miller[/b]- Let go
[b]Lemar Marshall[/b]- Keep
[b]Alex Steponovich[/b]- Let go
[b]Stacy Andrews[/b]- Keep
[b]Kyle Larson[/b]- Keep
[b]Madieu Williams[/b]- Keep
[b]Antonio Chatman[/b]- Let go [/center]

[center][b]FREE AGENTS TO SIGN[/b][/center]
[b]Boss Bailey[/b], Detroit- Veteran linebacker with tons of athleticism. The type of linebacker Marvin loves.

[b]Seth McKinney[/b], Cleveland - veteran interior lineman with starts at guard and center. Browns get LeCharles Bentley back next year so there is a good chance they let him go. The line hasn’t been the same since Brahm retired. I’m not convinced Eric Ghiaciuc is the answer, and we can’t afford to draft a center and have him g through the first year learning experience. This guy is a solid veteran who has started a guard and center. At the very least he pushed Ghiaciuc to be a better player and provides valuable veteran depth and experience on the interior O line.

[b]Mike Doss[/b], Minnesota- coming back from a torn ACL injury last year he has played in a backup role in Minnesota. He’s definitely a player worth taking a shot at as long as he doesn’t demand too much money, has the potential to return to great safety he was for Colts.

like picks 1 and 5. As for Rucker, I like him, but TE is deep this year. We can get one in round 3-5. Use the second rounder on defense. Don't know much about the other guys.

Don't know much about Goff, but know that we don't need to draft a MLB. We need OLB, particularly weakside.

Don't see why we'd dump Jeremi, one of the best FB's in the league. We need to use him better though.

Why let go Landon and Chatman? Landon has been our most consistent LB and can play all 3 spots. Chatman has played well since being healthy, and we aren't terribly deep at WR at the moment.

Don't mind the Doss pickup, but I wouldn't say he was ever great with the Colts.

[quote name='whodeybengals59' post='611495' date='Dec 19 2007, 03:16 PM']I know this is a way off but I'm just throwing some ideas out there. Let me know what you think.

[center]
[b]DRAFT[/b][/center]

This guy is a freak. Assuming he comes out early and Glenn Dorsey isn’t on the board I think he’s our next best option.
Will allow us to use both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes because Geathers and him both have the ability to play linebacker as well as rush the passes with a hand down.
4. [b]Owen Schmitt [/b]FB West Virginia- Best fullback in the draft. Plays nasty with an attitude that we need on our team badly.

Rudi Johnson
Marcus Maxwell
Nate Lawrie
Dexter Jackson
John Busing
Anthony Schlegel
Roy Manning
Jim Maxwell

[b]Dan Burks[/b]- Let go
[b]Glenn Holt[/b]- Keep
[b]Adam Kieft[/b]- Keep
[b]Tab Perry-[/b] Keep
[b]Dhani Jones[/b]- Keep
[b]Kyle Larson[/b]- Keep

[b]Boss Bailey[/b], Detroit- Veteran linebacker with tons of athleticism. The type of linebacker Marvin loves.

[b]Seth McKinney[/b], Cleveland - veteran interior lineman with starts at guard and center. Browns get LeCharles Bentley back next year so there is a good chance they let him go. The line hasn’t been the same since Brahm retired. I’m not convinced Eric Ghiaciuc is the answer, and we can’t afford to draft a center and have him g through the first year learning experience. This guy is a solid veteran who has started a guard and center. At the very least he pushed Ghiaciuc to be a better player and provides valuable veteran depth and experience on the interior O line.

[b]Mike Doss[/b], Minnesota- coming back from a torn ACL injury last year he has played in a backup role in Minnesota. He’s definitely a player worth taking a shot at as long as he doesn’t demand too much money, has the potential to return to great safety he was for Colts.[/quote]

Landon stays. Team guy, plays hard, plays all spots.
D Jones has performed well and I'd like to keep but he is not the player Landon is.
Marshall will be attempting to come back from an achilles tear. He is near 30 if not 30. I liked him but I doubt he makes it back.
Chatman ------- we are thin at wide out but a healthy Holt could replace.
Tab ------- I don't see him making it back. Even when healthy early he did not perform well.
M Williams --------- depends on White. I am on the fence with this one. I expected much more.
Larson ----- ???? big bucks for a punter. Not so sure.
Andrews they should keep. RT or LG of the future.
Step ---- if can't beat out Guycheck they why keep. However centers are hard to find and we have no one else.
Kieft --- will this guy ever play a down? 3X on IR all before season started, 3rd year guy.
JFan --- keeper but I thought S. Smith and Langstion Moore before Smith were keepers.
Fitzpatrick --- is Rowe ready ????
Miller gone.
Justin---- best dlineman we ahve. High motor guy all over the field. Very underrated due to lack of sacks but much better than Bengals fans give him credit for as all expect him to be a sack master. Best player on a weak Dline. Depends on cost.
Thorthon --- also underrated by Bengals fans. Not the player that Smith is but solid all around player. Fans expect huge numbers out of FA's. His numbers are not huge so people underate him. You can't get rid of the whole D-line so ???? Comes down to cost.
Robinson --- role player but again you are not likely to get rid of the whole Dline in one offseason.
Jones I'd like to keep. When healthy strong ST player but could Kilmer make him expendable?

No opinion on the rest of the FA.
Given the draft is a 50/50 crap shoot despite scouts and persons that know what they are llooking at, are evaluating hours of film and are actually seeing them work out and speaking to their college coaches --------- I doubt many of us have any real clue as to how a college player will peform in the pros.

Keep Landon, Jermi J.

Lemar Marshal tore his achillies I think.... he just might of injured himself out of the NFL

Not sure about Glenn Holt think he should be cut

The draft list I have no idea, but Ghoulston is a tweener, not sure he fits, and don't think he goes in the top ten.

Fire Breshnahan

[quote name='Mattyc' post='611549' date='Dec 19 2007, 04:51 PM']Keep Landon, Jermi J.

Lemar Marshal tore his achillies I think.... he just might of injured himself out of the NFL

The draft list I have no idea, but Ghoulston is a tweener, not sure he fits, and don't think he goes in the top ten.

Fire Breshnahan[/quote]

still don't get why people call Gholston a tweener. He's no more of a tweener than Geathers. Gholston is 6-4, 260 with 4.5 speed. He's also incredibly strong, which will serve him much better as a DE than an OLB.

Some good thoughts. I like Gholston a lot, even though I don't like OSU at all (went to school at THE U of Michigan). Rucker's good (his brother Mike plays DE for Carolina), but in round 2, that's too early for a TE when the need in the front 7 is so great. TE is definitely a need, though.

Re: players to release, I think Thornton has played OK this year, but his cap # is high, so I'd look to reduce that. I'd keep Jeremi, but the rest you can have. I've always been a Rudi fan, but I'm not sure anymore. He just hasn't looked good all year.

Re: re-signings, I think Landon's been pretty good this year; I don't see either him or Miller as a starter, but as a fill-in and good ST player, I'd take either one.
Marcus Maxwell might have something... he's young, big, and fast. Chatman's speed is intriguing, but he's gotta show something, which he really hasn't done yet.
I'd consider Justin at a lower cap number, and no, he sure hasn't had a good year as a pass rusher, but he's gonna get big bucks in the FA market. An every-down DE who makes a lot of tackles and who's as durable as they come doesn't grow on trees. Stepanovich I'd consider keeping. He played decently in his starts, and he represents versatile, veteran depth.

The FAs - sorry, I think Doss stinks. Yes, he hits hard, but he simply can't run. Boss Bailey hasn't really done all that much on a lousy defense; plus, he's injury prone. McKinney has ability, but I don't see that he brings you a lot more than Stepanovich. Worth looking at, for sure.

A few FAs I would strongly consider...

Colin Cole, DT GB. Still young, and really tough to move. He ate Steinbach's lunch a few years ago, and he's still a backup in GB (he's on IR now). He's proven he can play in the NFL, and DTs are notoriously either slow developers early on, or busts. I'd rather throw some $ at a guy who's been in the league awhile.

At LB, I'd be tempted (esp. if they don't re-sign Justin) to spend major $ on Briggs. Another guy to consider at MLB is Andra Davis of the Browns. I still think OLB is Brooks' best position.

I'll ask you guys a question. What would you think about Ray Lewis? The rumor is that he is going to be cut if billick stays, some because of his questioning of playcalling, but primarily because of his high cap number( going to be about 9 mill of the cap if he stays). I know he's not ray of the early 2000's, but you know he's got heart and fire which is something this D NEEDS. For the right number, what do you think?

[quote name='kennethmw' post='611561' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:16 PM']I'll ask you guys a question. What would you think about Ray Lewis? The rumor is that he is going to be cut if billick stays, some because of his questioning of playcalling, but primarily because of his high cap number( going to be about 9 mill of the cap if he stays). I know he's not ray of the early 2000's, but you know he's got heart and fire which is something this D NEEDS. For the right number, what do you think?[/quote]

I would sign him in a heartbeat, and I'd say its almost a guarantee that Marvin is the first person he'd call. As you said, it would have to be for the right number, which I think he'd be willing to take to play for Marvin again and for the chance to put his stamp on another defense.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='611561' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:16 PM']I'll ask you guys a question. What would you think about Ray Lewis? The rumor is that he is going to be cut if billick stays, some because of his questioning of playcalling, but primarily because of his high cap number( going to be about 9 mill of the cap if he stays). I know he's not ray of the early 2000's, but you know he's got heart and fire which is something this D NEEDS. For the right number, what do you think?[/quote]

sign him up, he can also teach brooks alot too

[quote name='Mattyc' post='611549' date='Dec 19 2007, 04:51 PM']Keep Landon, Jermi J.

Fire Breshnahan[/quote]

Holt is our best kick returner in the last 5 years. You've got no one better behind him on the roster.

[quote name='whodeybengals59' post='611495' date='Dec 19 2007, 03:16 PM']I know this is a way off but I'm just throwing some ideas out there. Let me know what you think.

[center]
[b]DRAFT[/b][/center]

Rudi Johnson
Marcus Maxwell
Nate Lawrie
Dexter Jackson
John Busing
Anthony Schlegel
Roy Manning
Jim Maxwell

[b]Dan Burks[/b]- Let go
[b]Glenn Holt[/b]- Keep
[b]Adam Kieft[/b]- Keep
[b]Tab Perry-[/b] Keep
[b]Dhani Jones[/b]- Keep
[b]Kyle Larson[/b]- Keep

[b]Mike Doss[/b], Minnesota- coming back from a torn ACL injury last year he has played in a backup role in Minnesota. He’s definitely a player worth taking a shot at as long as he doesn’t demand too much money, has the potential to return to great safety he was for Colts.[/quote]

***I think if Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis or Chris Long don't slide to our 10ish slot, we trade up and grab one because I don't see anyone else who would help us as much instantly as an impact player. One of the things that is killing us, esp. considering this coaching staff simply cannot develop talent, is taking the second/third best player at a position in the first round. Of course, I also realize the Bengals won't trade up so WTF, as they say.

***Your choice of Ghoulson is very interesting. However, the DE/OLB tag gives me the willies. Smacks of 'tweener which is another way of saying "neither", as in "tain't neither". Last guy we had like that was Pollack and, lets face it, he was having a difficult time breaking into the starting line up at either position before his career ended. If he slides to round two, and he may because the Bengals seem to be the only fools who cream their jeans over 'tweeners, some strong consideration then, but, imho, too iffy now.

***Like your cuts except for Landon Johnson. I like your boldness at suggesting we cut Jeremi Johnson. And agree. He has done nothing since becoming the highest paid fullback in the NFL, only a part time player who might as well carry a neon sign into the game that says "RUNNING BEHIND ME" when he enters the game. Also like how you suggest a better/younger/cheaper player in the draft. Good call by you [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

***I've been cloaked in the lurk mode since signing on a few days ago but I have not seen anyone say anything about what I consider the obvious.... it is time for Willie to go. He should not have been re-signed last season and, imo, ranks up there with Captain John Thornton God of Defense and Dropster Jackson as dead wood on a team that has more dead wood than Lowes side lot. Andrews has been groomed for years, is OK and will get better. As far as I'm concerned, Willie has ridden the "veteran leadership" pony as far as it will go. Ask Chris Henry.

***Same controversial thoughts, but its great to see Levi named to some sort of scrub Pro Bowl selection because I would love to trade his mediocre and overrated ass, too. Maybe that would improve what we could get for him. Sorry, I do not at all buy the Hobbshitt esp. this season seeing Carson get hit after almost every play and too much of it coming around Levi. Withworth did not look any worse when he was there, easier to get a guard than pay Levi who ain't getting any younger besides.

***Free agents? Sign our own. Not sure about Keift. Would be nice but can't stay healthy and has not improved the last few years making bubbles in the whirlpool. With Marvin and the way the team is going, no one decent will come here, anyway. We can always pay signing bonuses to porcelain bowl floaters like Kendrick Allen (remember him?) and Ed Hartwell and have Goeff (what a fruit name) stir up a big smiling pitcher of orange and black Kool-Aid about "veteran leadership" and "overcoming old injuries" until they are cut in training camp.

So a few random thoughts.
Any more with our draft I am more interested in the second round than the first.
I tend to think that our first round choice is a Marvin fuck up, anyway, (he should have been fired on the spot
for taking Chris Henry when Steven Jackson was available) and the sliders to round two a lot more interesting.
Going back a few years let's not forget Boomer was a second round pick and actually our fourth pick of that
draft behind three first round busts.

[quote]Thorthon --- also underrated by Bengals fans. Not the player that Smith is but solid all around player. Fans expect huge numbers out of FA's. His numbers are not huge so people underate him. You can't get rid of the whole D-line so ???? Comes down to cost.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='cwing' post='611548' date='Dec 19 2007, 04:51 PM']Justin---- best dlineman we ahve. High motor guy all over the field. Very underrated due to lack of sacks but much better than Bengals fans give him credit for as[b] all expect him to be a sack master[/b]. Best player on a weak Dline. Depends on cost.
Thorthon --- also underrated by Bengals fans. Not the player that Smith is but solid all around player. Fans expect huge numbers out of FA's. His numbers are not huge so people underate him. You can't get rid of the whole D-line so ???? Comes down to cost.[/quote]

well when you are paid 8 mil and change, yeah you are expected to get some sacks

justin is not worth 4 mil a sack and a lot tackles 8 yards downfield that he should have made at 2 yards past the line or less

and thorton plays like he is on skates

i will be very pissed if justin is a bengal next year, i could live with thorton on roster but i prefer is 3 mil salary gone

I can see where you're comin from but isn't Brooks our MLB of the future? If Ray Ray were to come here I wouldn't play him at mike I would put him at strong side to tutor Brooks on field during games and move Jeanty to weak side. Jeanty may be a good run stopper but come on its Ray Ray!
All this assuming Odell and Pollack are done, if not u have to give them a shot.

I'd try to re-sign Stacy and Stepanovich. I'm not that worried about Ghiaciuc but for those who are, Jeff Faine is available. He's mobile but not powerful. He's done a good job for New Orleans though.

On the defensive side, I don't object to signing Landon per se, just hope to find a better player even at a higher price. Dansby, Briggs, or Suggs come to mind. Colin Cole or Corey Williams from GB would be good additions. The draft is after FA so we can see what our needs are then. There's good group of TEs this year and we should take one. Rucker in the second is fine with me. We might be drafting a DE in the first but we can also find pass rushers later too. Jonal Saint-Dic of Michigan State is probably this years version of Elvis Dumervil. George Selvie of South Florida might come out too.

[center]
[b]DRAFT[/b][/center]

Rudi Johnson
Marcus Maxwell
Nate Lawrie
Dexter Jackson
John Busing
Anthony Schlegel
Roy Manning
Jim Maxwell

[b]Dan Burks[/b]- Let go
[b]Glenn Holt[/b]- Keep
[b]Adam Kieft[/b]- Keep
[b]Tab Perry-[/b] Keep
[b]Dhani Jones[/b]- Keep
[b]Kyle Larson[/b]- Keep

I could live with that if all the chips fell into place ;)

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611550' date='Dec 19 2007, 04:54 PM']still don't get why people call Gholston a tweener. He's no more of a tweener than Geathers. Gholston is 6-4, 260 with 4.5 speed. He's also incredibly strong, which will serve him much better as a DE than an OLB.[/quote]

Gholston's build looks amazingly like Dwight Freeney's

[quote name='kennethmw' post='611561' date='Dec 19 2007, 04:16 PM']I'll ask you guys a question. What would you think about Ray Lewis? The rumor is that he is going to be cut if billick stays, some because of his questioning of playcalling, but primarily because of his high cap number( going to be about 9 mill of the cap if he stays). I know he's not ray of the early 2000's, but you know he's got heart and fire which is something this D NEEDS. For the right number, what do you think?[/quote]

Ray Lewis is to Linebacker as Sam Adams is to Defensive Tackle.

-OLD
-OVERPAID
-OVER THE HILL

Archived