Anderson: Sunday last home game?

[quote]Willie Anderson was taped and headed out this morning to practice for a third consecutive day.

The Bengals veteran right offensive tackle, who has missed nine games because of heel and knee injuries this season, said he will play Sunday against the Browns.

The quick-witted Anderson referred to the game as "Senior Day," in reference to the high school and college tradition of honoring athletes in their last performance with a team.

"You definitely want to go out with a win," Anderson said. "It could be (his last game for the Bengals). You never know. I want to play and let things take care of (themselves). I look at it as a business. I’ve been here a long time. I’ve seen a lot of things.

"I tell my family and friends, though, `don’t look over and say that will never happen.' It happens to the best of them."

Asked if the Bengals had talked to him about his future, Anderson reached over and clicked off reporters' tape recorders and said, "No."

"Whoever needs to know, wherever, I’m playing. I’ve been practicing every day this week. I could have been doing this against pissburgh."

The Bengals played Dec. 2 at pissburgh.

posted by Mark at 11:09 AM

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2007/12/anderson-sunday-last-home-game.asp"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/benga...t-home-game.asp[/url][/quote]

Would hate to see this happen, but it sounds like he is done.

[quote name='Ben' post='612204' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:29 AM']Yeah, and you got one last big paycheck from the bengals. The bengals have become where football players go to die(and get paid)[/quote]

If we had let Willie go into FA, and he had a great year everyone would be bashing the bengals for letting the "heart and soul" of the team walk because they were too cheap to pay one of the best lineman in the NFL..

Same old story, same broken record... It's awful easy to look "right" after you have the results...

[quote name='Lucid' post='612208' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:37 AM']If we had let Willie go into FA, and he had a great year everyone would be bashing the bengals for letting the "heart and soul" of the team walk because they were too cheap to pay one of the best lineman in the NFL..

Same old story, same broken record... It's awful easy to look "right" after you have the results...[/quote]

They paid a 33 year old fat man with a bad knee. I think it was more of a mike brown "Loyalty Contract". If you are loyal to the team, Mike Brown will reward you.

[quote][size=5][b]Willie: Last home game?[/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
December 20, 2007
Updated: 12-21-07, 11:35 a.m.

Willie Anderson says he'll play in his 180th game Sunday against the Browns and he says he's heard enough lately and seen enough in his 12 seasons to think it could be his last home game as a Bengal.

"I look at it as a business," said Anderson before Friday's practice. "I tell my family, 'Don't look over and say that will never happen.' It happens."

Anderson, who has four years left on his contract after next Sunday's finale in Miami, thinks it could happen because of the concern surrounding his knee. Concern he is trying to alleviate, in part, by playing. He has been saying he could have played against pissburgh Dec. 2 and he believes he can play at least three more years.

The season started uncertainly for the Bengals' Pro Bowl tackles but they hope to have a more definitive finish in the last two games.

Anderson practiced for the third straight day riday in an effort to show the club he's healthy enough to play next season with his healed knee in case it started to believe rumors that he's finished. And he said before practice he'll play.

Left tackle Levi Jones, who openly wondered if the Bengals were getting ready to trade him when he had trouble getting back into the starting lineup at the beginning of the year with his rehabbing knee, is hoping to finish healthy after a gritty season he virtually played on one leg.

Anderson is hoping to show the club in the last two games that the bone bruise and sprained medial collateral ligament that cost him the past eight games and his fifth straight Pro Bowl is healed and has nothing to do with his age, which is 32 in July.

"I definitely want to finish with two wins," Anderson said. "And at the same time I want to show them, or whoever wants to know that I can play football. I don't want that rumor put on me by whomever to whomever that I couldn't finish out the season. It's not an age thing. It was a contact injury."

Anderson is waiting to get word from the club on his playing status, but he indicated that he got a good deal of work in Thursday's practice and didn't just have a cursory workout.

After being named a Pro Bowl third alternate this week despite the limitations with his knee, Jones was far from pleased.

"It's what is to be expected," said a disappointed Jones. "With the kind of start I had and all the drama around the injury, I couldn't expect too much more. It's not good enough for me."

Jones has started the last 11 games after he and head coach Marvin Lewis had words over his health. Following a mid-game benching against Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, Jones has been solid and is a big reason the Bengals are tied for second with Cleveland for allowing the fewest sacks in the league with 17.

Jones, coming off two procedures last season, is hopeful an offseason stint with his trainers back home in Arizona will be just what the knee needs.

"Then we can get it corrected and I plan to come back faster and stronger wherever I come back to," he said.

All indications are he'll be back in Cincinnati since Anderson's status seems up in the air at the moment and Anderson's backup, Stacy Andrews is unsigned.

[b]INJURY UPDATE:[/b] Both of the Bengals starting safeties appeared on the injury report Thursday with Dexter Jackson (calf) and Madieu Williams (quad) limited and they weren't dressed at the start of practice Friday

Running back Rudi Johnson (hamstring) didn't work for the second straight day Thursday and wasn't out there at the beginning Friday, indicating he won't be ready Sunday. Cornerback Deltha O'Neal was sick and sat out. Wide receiver Chris Henry(ankle), who missed Wednesday's practice, went full go Thursday.

For the Browns, starting cornerback Leigh Bodden (back) was a new addition to the injury list and was listed as did not go. The three defensive linemen, Robaire Smith (back), Shaun Smith (back) and Orpheus Roye (knee), were all limited, as was linebacker Antwan Peek (ankle).[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6545"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6545[/url]

[quote name='Ben' post='612211' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:40 AM']They paid a 33 year old fat man with a bad knee. I think it was more of a mike brown "Loyalty Contract". If you are loyal to the team, Mike Brown will reward you.[/quote]

FTR, I thought the contract wasn't the best decision.. But I won't act like it was a "no brainer", and get pissed off because they picked the "idiotic solution".

It was a very tough call. Steinbach wasn't just overpaid, his salary was out of line with the market as well. The future might tell a different story and he could be worth every penny.. We still don't know.

And Anderson MIGHT have had a great season and been going to the pro bowl again while Steinbach sat on the IR in Cleveland. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

[quote name='Ben' post='612211' date='Dec 21 2007, 10:40 AM']They paid a 33 year old fat man with a bad knee. I think it was more of a mike brown "Loyalty Contract". If you are loyal to the team, Mike Brown will reward you.[/quote]

Willie is 32, and has been an All Pro the 4 seasons before this one.
Before this season, he had started 174 of a possible 176 games.
He had started in 116 straight starts before this season.
And he had a bad foot, that led to him having knee trouble.
But the knee has healed.

It wasn`t stupid to give him a contract.
You have hindsight in your favor is all.

[quote name='Lucid' post='612215' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:47 AM']FTR, I thought the contract wasn't the best decision.. But I won't act like it was a "no brainer", and get pissed off because they picked the "idiotic solution".

It was a very tough call. Steinbach wasn't just overpaid, his salary was out of line with the market as well. The future might tell a different story and he could be worth every penny.. We still don't know.

And Anderson MIGHT have had a great season and been going to the pro bowl again while Steinbach sat on the IR in Cleveland. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.[/quote]

I agree it was a tough decision, but personally I would have went with the younger player in Steinbach.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='612217' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:49 AM']Willie is 32, and has been an All Pro the 4 seasons before this one.
Before this season, he had started 174 of a possible 176 games.
He had started in 116 straight starts before this season.
And he had a bad foot, that led to him having knee trouble.
But the knee has healed.

It wasn`t stupid to give him a contract.
You have hindsight in your favor is all.[/quote]

I said the same thing last year....... I am nostradomus... at least this time.

This team just is not very good at knowing when to let players go it seems. I knew i was going to get attacked as soon as i opened my mouth about willie in this thread. Willie WAS a great tackle, but his age and weight have caught up to him.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='612222' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:57 AM']Especially when the results are so consistantly.... wrong.[/quote]

It's really amazing that NFL coaches and execs make so much money.. When you consider how many casual observers of the game are smarter than all the ones currently employed.

Considering the experts must count in the millions, I would think you should make better money at Burger King.

[quote name='Lucid' post='612215' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:47 AM']FTR, I thought the contract wasn't the best decision.. But I won't act like it was a "no brainer", and get pissed off because they picked the "idiotic solution".

And Anderson MIGHT have had a great season and been going to the pro bowl again while Steinbach sat on the IR in Cleveland. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.[/quote]

I'm not pissed about it. I also understand why they did not pay steinbach. I just did not understand why you would invest that much money in an injured player on the tail end of his career. Other than loyalty.

I'm not trying to bash willie, willie was the man for years here.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='612224' date='Dec 21 2007, 12:01 PM']I agree it was a tough decision, but personally I would have went with the younger player in Steinbach.[/quote]

I don't disagree with the decision in keeping Willie over Steinbach, but no way I would have given him a 5yr deal. 3 tops.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='612229' date='Dec 21 2007, 12:05 PM']I don't disagree with the decision in keeping Willie over Steinbach, but no way I would have given him a 5yr deal. 3 tops.[/quote]

I'm a little fuzzy on nfl contracts, but did structuring it as a 5 year deal save them cap money? Knowing he probably wouldnt be here for the last few years if it was backloaded(again i dont know if this was the case)?

[quote name='Ben' post='612225' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:01 AM']I said the same thing last year....... I am nostradomus... at least this time.

This team just is not very good at knowing when to let players go it seems. I knew i was going to get attacked as soon as i opened my mouth about willie in this thread. Willie WAS a great tackle, but his age and weight have caught up to him.[/quote]

I didn`t attack you. I just stated facts and my opinion.

I love how you say his age and weight have caught to him,
when this is the first games he has missed since 1999.

Geeez. I never seen a so many people ready to write
players off so fast because they suffer an injury.

Rudi plays in 65 straight games. Injured, plays behind
a crappy O-line, cut him !

Willie starts 116 straight games, the last few with
an injured foot, hurts his knee while trying to compensate
for the injured foot, he is too old and washed up !

Fact is, Willie is 2 years younger than Munoz when he
retired from the Bengals. And Munoz had knee problems
coming out of college . . .

[quote name='oldschooler' post='612233' date='Dec 21 2007, 12:20 PM']I didn`t attack you. I just stated facts and my opinion.

I love how you say his age and weight have caught to him,
when this is the first games he has missed since 1999.

G[/quote]

Isnt that my point exactly? By "Caught Up", i meant the problem was not there before, but it now. Its not like i said he is a worthless fuck who has not been able to stay on the field.

This line of commenting by Willie reminds me a lot of the comments Levi was making earlier this season with regards to his "readiness".
I mean, if Willie said he was ready to play in the Pittsburgh game, what do the silly coaches know? It's not like they monitor his practices or anything....
I for one am tired of this kind of shit being aired in the media.

[quote name='Ben' post='612236' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:32 AM']Isnt that my point exactly? By "Caught Up", i meant the problem was not there before, but it now. Its not like i said he is a worthless fuck who has not been able to stay on the field.[/quote]

No. You call it age catching up to him.
I call it, he had an injury and tried to play through it.

Anyway, you could be right, and I could be wrong.
For the team`s sake, I hope it is you that is wrong though . . .

[quote name='Lucid' post='612208' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:37 AM']If we had let Willie go into FA, and he had a great year everyone would be bashing the bengals for letting the "heart and soul" of the team walk because they were too cheap to pay one of the best lineman in the NFL..

Same old story, same broken record... It's awful easy to look "right" after you have the results...[/quote]

Isn't it amazing? All these guys will be screaming bloody murder next year because Willie is gone and we haven't prepared a backup.

The reason Willie didn't play till now is because Marvin wants to give Stacey the playing time for further evaluation. As it turns out, Stacey needs work on the run blocking but he's gotten good at the passing game. Stacey is a slow learner. Stacey won't be ready next year and by the time the coaches figure that out then they'll have to start all over with Whitworth in that spot.

How many games will we lose next season because we keep up the shuffling game? ...and what about the center spot, ...don't we need to address that too?

Trading Willie is a huge mistake everyone will live to regret! (mark these words down)

[quote name='Jeb' post='612361' date='Dec 21 2007, 07:32 PM']Isn't it amazing? All these guys will be screaming bloody murder next year because Willie is gone and we haven't prepared a backup.

The reason Willie didn't play till now is because Marvin wants to give Stacey the playing time for further evaluation. As it turns out, Stacey needs work on the run blocking but he's gotten good at the passing game. Stacey is a slow learner. Stacey won't be ready next year and by the time the coaches figure that out then they'll have to start all over with Whitworth in that spot.

How many games will we lose next season because we keep up the shuffling game? ...and what about the center spot, ...don't we need to address that too?

Trading Willie is a huge mistake everyone will live to regret! (mark these words down)[/quote]

I dont think the team trades him... I think they evaluate him during the off season to see how his foot is healing and to make sure he stays in somewhat reasonable shape....if he does that then he'll probably be the RT again next year ....
then the predicement would be in whether to shell out big bucks for Andrews or not.. Personally I dont see him as a top dollar player.. decent yes ...high dollar player uh no....

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='612367' date='Dec 21 2007, 07:57 PM']I dont think the team trades him... I think they evaluate him during the off season to see how his foot is healing and to make sure he stays in somewhat reasonable shape....if he does that then he'll probably be the RT again next year ....
then the predicement would be in whether to shell out big bucks for Andrews or not.. Personally I dont see him as a top dollar player.. decent yes ...high dollar player uh no....[/quote]

Willie only wants to play a couple more years and it makes no sense not to keep him while we figure out who will replace him.

Archived