Soon to be top 20 free agents

The number one thing the Bengals need is a pass rusher. I'm assuming Jared Allen will get the tag from the Chiefs so i'm crossing him off.

My only focus in free agency is to somehow get Terrell Suggs in a Bengal uniform. This defense has lacked that dominant pass rusher for soooo long. In Suggs you get a young guy who hasn't really even hit his prime yet. Please go get him. Overpay if you must but i'd rather one of him than three dexter jacksons.

I'm sure it won't happen but if there is one mistake this franchise makes it's that they refuse to spend ANY money on decent free agents.

[quote name='H.B. Bengal' post='612595' date='Dec 22 2007, 03:13 PM']I am sure we will go to war with what we have...[/quote]

"Build through the draft"
"Sign your own first"
"Too tight to the cap"
"We have just as good players right here now"

Sincerely,

Broken Record

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='612667' date='Dec 22 2007, 08:35 PM']"Build through the draft"
"Sign your own first"
"Too tight to the cap"
"We have just as good players right here now"

Sincerely,

Broken Record[/quote]

:lol:

i laugh now but when/if our best free agents come after the 4th preseason game... :angry2:

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='612668' date='Dec 22 2007, 08:39 PM']:lol:

i laugh now but when/if our best free agents come after the 4th preseason game... :angry2:[/quote]
:lol:

But we signed John Thornton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess all we can do it laugh anymore.

A lot of the top defenders (Jared Allen, Haynesworth, Sanders, Samuel) will likely be franchised if they're not signed before FA.

I think Suggs is a solid player, but I think he's overrated, and as such I wouldn't break the bank for him. I'd prefer Briggs, if they're going to pay someone from that list.

[quote name='texbengal' post='612740' date='Dec 23 2007, 07:40 AM']I think Suggs is a solid player, but I think he's overrated, and as such I wouldn't break the bank for him. I'd prefer Briggs, if they're going to pay someone from that list.[/quote]

:lol: Yeah, because Briggs isn't overrated.

Add to that Briggs is a lot older, and a LBer, who get hurt much more often. No thanks.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='612679' date='Dec 22 2007, 10:45 PM']just wondering what planet this would be on where the Bengals would have enough cap room to sign those 3 players?[/quote]

Cap room isn't the problem. The Bengals will easily have sufficient cap space to sign them. Actual cash to pay their signing bonuses might be a problem though. Bengals currently have about 28 mil in cap space and that is with Rudi, Thornton, Dexter, and Willie on the books. Releasing them frees up even more space.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='612679' date='Dec 22 2007, 10:45 PM']just wondering what planet this would be on where the Bengals would have enough cap room to sign those 3 players?[/quote]

See Sparky's comments.There's plenty of room.Right now The Bengals are 31 million under the '08 CAP per Sports Illustrated.

Right now, I would try to go after a safety first. They are generally much cheaper. I would then let Madieu go elsewhere and have Ndukwe and White compete for the other starting spot.

I'd also look for a veteran O lineman with some leadership (Faneca?) and a weakside LB.

We should have enough money to do all of that if we let Smith go and cut a bit of dead wood. Concentrate heavily on D line in the draft then.

Archived