White v NDukwe

[quote name='globetrotter' post='613287' date='Dec 23 2007, 04:32 PM']Ndukwe had some hits and made picks on balls thrown right to him. He did still make the plays though. Who was suppossed to be the safety in the end zone who wasnt there for the bredwards Tds?

[b]People are saying White played great but I missed it, any specifics there?[/b][/quote]
he batted down 3 passes, two of them were PERFECT coverage on winslow (one of the toughest WR/TEs to cover in the NFL). he also made some good hits and looked natural. the rip on him was his coverage and he covered very well.

So the question is -------- do we enter the season with one 3 yr guy and 3 two year guys as the starters?

DJax --- gone
M. Williams ?????
O'Neal ---- gone

Whom will be the 3rd corner and the backup safeties?

By the way, Should be Nduke & White not Nduke v White as one will be free and one will be strong.

so who would they be most likely or want to sign between
Madiue , Stacy and Justin ??
Who would want the most money for his ability?
dont know how that will play out

Will they cut Rudi and Thornton? alot of money for guys that may or may not be feature players next year. would they let both Justin and Thornton go ? how bout BRob?

both played well, but marvin made more mistakes, he was out of position on a few coverages, the big first throw anderson made, several of the dump off passes and the TD he left oneal hangin on the inside route, he was coering no one and in dead sapce doing nothing. oneal had the corner and short route covered and got deserted on the inside coverage. White came back to make some GREAT played and defenses a few passes, etc, i light the way both played with their limited play time and experience.

make the decision easier for dexeters future and madieu not as vital, tho madieu + white + ndukwe would be a great group to have back there rotating in and out.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='613411' date='Dec 23 2007, 09:04 PM']both played well, but marvin made more mistakes, he was out of position on a few coverages, the big first throw anderson made, several of the dump off passes and the TD he left oneal hangin on the inside route, he was coering no one and in dead sapce doing nothing. oneal had the corner and short route covered and got deserted on the inside coverage. White came back to make some GREAT played and defenses a few passes, etc, i light the way both played with their limited play time and experience.

make the decision easier for dexeters future and madieu not as vital, tho madieu + white + ndukwe would be a great group to have back there rotating in and out.[/quote]

fair, but ndukwe also has a little more game experince now, i imagine marvin will come along. Madieu + White + Ndukwe would be nice

from what i saw they both played well. chinny made some great plays w/ the 2 INT's, and marvin has much better coverage skills I was first led to believe. I don't think that I've seen K2, or any TE for that matter, be that well covered by a Bengals DB.

There were a couple of snags, in particular the two TD catches by Edwards when the entire back of the endzone was open, but for the ,most part, they communiocated well, they tackled, they broke on the ball, and all four of them ( JJ and Leon too) seemed to bring a physical mentality when they laid a hit. A good performance from a crew that is made up of three rookies and a two-year. If they are gonna be teh new SWAT team for teh Bengals, we are gonna be set in the back end for a while.

also if we decide to bring back Madieu, this could get him to play more to his rook year, since he wont have to worry as much about getting people line up properly. Chinny could handle that, and be a swingman like Madieu.

Still waiting for The Great White Hit Part Deux, but I feel that it's coming soon for #26. Like that #41 has some oomph in his hits too.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='613501' date='Dec 23 2007, 11:53 PM']like many have mentioned both played well, still trying to figure out how both of Braylon's td grabs were basically handed to him in the back of the endzone. If I had to hand a game ball to one it would be Ndukwe[/quote]

Both guys played really well and I was happy with them. They had some rookie snags but nothing I was too upset about. Why do our two veteran safeties make them same snags is one thing I have wondered. The two touches were the safeties. They are supposed to role to the back of the end zone with the coverage but didn't. People have been doing it against Jackson and Madieu as well though. Kaesviharn made some interceptions that way in the end zone. One of the top of my head being against Big Ben last year I believe. The two rookies made a lot of plays though which we haven't seen a whole lot of this year from that position. It really gets everyone in the secondary in a vibe. I also think it is cool how the new article on the bengals home page says they got together before the game and said "the future starts today". I really hope it does.

[quote name='cwing' post='613391' date='Dec 23 2007, 08:00 PM']So the question is -------- do we enter the season with one 3 yr guy and 3 two year guys as the starters?

DJax --- gone
M. Williams ?????
O'Neal ---- gone

Whom will be the 3rd corner and the backup safeties?

By the way, Should be Nduke & White not Nduke v White as one will be free and one will be strong.[/quote]

O'neal isn't going anywhere.

[quote][size=5][b]Young secondary steps up[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]A first-rate game for a pair of second-string safeties[/b][/size]
BY SHANNON RUSSELL | SRUSSELL@ENQUIRER.COM

Browns quarterback Derek Anderson clutched his helmet and watched in disbelief.

The Bengals' safeties had foiled him again.

In their first game together as starters, strong safety Chinedum Ndukwe and free safety Marvin White acted as if they owned their positions - when, in fact, Ndukwe was making his first career start for an injured Dexter Jackson (calf) and White was making his second career nod for an ailing Madieu Williams (thigh).

Ndukwe nabbed two of Anderson's season-high four interceptions, including one in the end zone that White defensed, and the safeties combined for 11 tackles in Sunday's 19-14 victory over Cleveland at Paul Brown Stadium.

How strong were they?

Ndukwe had a team-second nine tackles, two interceptions for 44 yards, two passes defensed, a special teams tackle and a forced fumble on special teams.

White had two tackles and three passes defensed.

"With Dexter and Madieu getting hurt in about a 10-minute span in practice the other day, things changed in a hurry," coach Marvin Lewis said. "Marvin and Chinedum are going to be fine players. I think they showed some of that today."

White couldn't imagine such a great outcome early on, not when his stomach was filled with butterflies. He started in Week 13 against the Rams and felt nerves then, but the anxiety he endured Sunday was of another sort.

"I was nervous because it was me and Chinedum out there," White said.

"We didn't have a veteran back. But once we had two or three plays and got settled down, we started making plays, and it just started to feel comfortable out there."

White's worries may have played into a pair of missed tackles in the Browns' opening drive. He couldn't stop Kellen Winslow on a 22-yard pass from Anderson and, four plays later, whiffed as Jason Wright rambled by on an 18-yard gain.

But after a Leigh Bodden interception returned the ball to the Browns, White tackled Braylon Edwards one yard shy of a first down. Faced with a fourth-and-one from the 19, the Browns went for it - and were stopped.

Then the other newbie showed his skills.

Ndukwe snagged an Anderson pass intended for Wright with 1:27 left in the first half. He made a beeline for the sideline, returning the ball 44 yards before Ryan Tucker pushed him out at the 5-yard line.

The pick set up the Bengals' first touchdown, a 5-yard pass from Carson Palmer to T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

White and Ndukwe worked well together throughout the game to quell the Browns' 10th-ranked offense. They said their chemistry is rooted in their simultaneous arrival at the Bengals, and being roommates at away games has helped.

"We've been through this long season together, pushing each other, motivating each other. He was a fourth-round draft pick; I was a seventh. We get along great," Ndukwe said.

Their compatibility showed in another game-changing play, the one that caused Anderson to watch in disbelief. In the third quarter, White broke up a pass intended for Winslow in the end zone. Ndukwe grabbed the ball for his second pick of the day and his third this season.

"I think it went off Winslow's hands and I was just there. I wanted to take it out, but special teams were killing me," Ndukwe said. "I didn't have enough legs for it."

Ndukwe said a disappointing showing last week in San Francisco motivated him to do better. He also hoped that pressuring Anderson would get his former high school and college teammate - Browns back-up Brady Quinn - into the game.

It didn't happen, but Quinn "will have his day" some day, Ndukwe said. He had a chance to talk to Quinn afterward.

"We got a little picture (taken)," Ndukwe said. "He just said he was proud of me."

White and Ndukwe weren't the only part of the Bengals' secondary to have a stellar day. Rookie cornerback Leon Hall made his fifth career pick in the second quarter and returned it 12 yards.

His five interceptions tied a Bengals record for rookie interceptions.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071224/SPT02/712240331"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/712240331[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Young safeties step it up[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Monday, December 24, 2007

CINCINNATI — The Bengals saw their future at the safety position on Sunday.

With regulars Dexter Jackson (calf) and Madieu Williams (quad) deactivated with injuries, rookie roommates Chinedum Ndukwe and Marvin White were thrust into the starting lineup.

Bengals steal a 19-14 victory over the Cleveland Browns in front of 66,023 spectators in Cincinnati's 2007 home finale at Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday.

Ndukwe registered nine tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble, while White had two tackles and swatted three passes, including a tip in the end zone that Ndukwe picked off.

"It was a great feeling to be out there," Ndukwe said. "It's taken a while for that to happen, but the wait was worth it. I was just trying to read the quarterback and make plays on the ball.

"We knew there was a chance we'd both be out there at the same time. Either way, we wanted to make plays. They brought us here to make an impact on the defense. I think we did that today."

Ndukwe turned in the play of the day at the 1:27 mark of the second quarter. With the Browns trailing 6-0 and driving near midfield, Ndukwe intercepted a Derek Anderson pass intended for Jason Wright and raced 44 yards down the right sideline to Cleveland's 5-yard line.

Quarterback Carson Palmer connected with T.J. Houshmandzadeh on the next play for a 13-0 lead that ballooned to 19-0 on a 1-yard run by Kenny Watson at 0:26 of the second quarter after Bengals rookie cornerback Leon Hall intercepted Anderson, who threw two picks in 40 seconds.

"We talked to each other last night and we both said, 'This is our chance to make a statement,' " White said. "That just because we're rookies, it doesn't mean we can't come out and play like veterans.

"The reason they drafted us is because we're good players. We did a great job as rookies as far as communicating and having everybody on the same page. The future looks very promising for us in Cincinnati."[/quote]

[quote][size=5][b]Browns pass, fail[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Ndukwe's two interceptions help leave Cleveland needing outside help to get postseason spot [/b][/size]
Monday, December 24, 2007 2:59 AM
By Scott Priestle

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CINCINNATI -- For a few seconds yesterday, as he ran free down the sideline with the ball in his hand, Chinedum Ndukwe felt like a wide receiver again. But he was not running fade routes for Brady Quinn on this day, and the setting was much bigger than a Dublin Coffman game.

Ndukwe played a starring role on a stage he worked for years to reach: an NFL game, his Cincinnati Bengals against the Cleveland Browns, as the starting strong safety.

"The wait was worth it," he said with a smile, as he savored his performance in the Bengals' 19-14 win.

Ndukwe intercepted two passes, returning one 44 yards for a near touchdown, and made nine tackles, anchoring a secondary that thrived despite starting four players in their first or second professional seasons.

It was an encouraging sign for the Bengals in an ugly game that served mainly to torture an already weary Cleveland fan base and highlight each team's many flaws: Both defenses are easily gouged, the Cincinnati offense has talent but little rhythm, and the Browns offense relies heavily on a first-year starting quarterback who seemed destined for the waiver wire in August.

Derek Anderson threw four interceptions, three on consecutive possessions bridging the first and second halves. It negated his 251 passing yards and two touchdowns.

As a result, the Browns no longer control their playoff fate. They needed only to win in order to clinch at least a wild-card spot, but now they need Indianapolis to beat Tennessee next Sunday. If the Titans win that game, the Browns are out; if the Titans and Colts tie, the Browns need to beat San Francisco.

"It's disappointing, realizing what was at stake," coach Romeo Crennel said. "Our guys made a valiant effort in the second half trying to come back, but there were too many mistakes in the first half for us to overcome."

The game swung in the final 90 seconds of the half, when the Bengals turned two interceptions into 13 points and a 19-0 lead.

Ndukwe returned his first interception 44 yards to the Cleveland 5-yard line, breaking two tackles along the way. Carson Palmer threw a touchdown pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh on the next play.

Anderson then made another poor throw, and this time rookie cornerback Leon Hall intercepted it. The Bengals turned it into another touchdown, on a 1-yard run by Kenny Watson.

Ndukwe intercepted Anderson again on the Browns' first drive of the second half, this one in the end zone.

"It would have been nice if Brady was throwing those," Ndukwe said with a laugh.

Quinn was Ndukwe's quarterback at Coffman. He is now the Browns' backup quarterback. He could only watch as Anderson suffered through perhaps his most frustrating game in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Ndukwe and fellow rookie safety Marvin White enjoyed their most extensive playing time to date, and a win to boot. They filled in admirably for injured veterans Dexter Jackson and Madieu Williams.

When Johnathan Joseph, the second-year cornerback who was the veteran in the secondary, knocked down Anderson's final pass, the Bengals had another win to celebrate and a little more reason to hope for good things in 2008.

"It bodes well for the type of things we can bring to the table in the future," Ndukwe said. "We have one more game left. Hopefully we'll be able to go out there again with the same lineup. We're trying to get positive momentum for next year."

spriestle@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/browns/stories/2007/12/24/browns_bengals1224.ART_ART_12-24-07_C1_6C8SA8F.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/brown...8F.html?sid=101[/url]

From Peter King`s Monday Morning QB . . .

[quote][b]Defensive Players of the Week[/b]

Cincinnati safeties Chinedum Ndukwe and Marvin White, both rookies. After finding out on Friday they'd both be starting because of injuries to the starting safeties, they played with reckless abandon and helped torment Cleveland quarterback Derek Anderson into throwing four interceptions. Ndukwe and White combined for 11 tackles, two interceptions, three pass deflections and a fumble recovery.

"Intellective, instinctive and really eager to play," defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said of his two second-day draft choices. "They played the kind of game they had to play for us to win today."

Tennessee DE Kyle Vanden Bosch, for his inspired play (I think we could say that about him every week) in a 10-6, playoff-chances-saving win. Three sacks, 11 tackles, a forced fumble. Someday we'll give Vanden Bosch the credit he deserves for being one of the top five defensive ends in football.[/quote]

[quote][b]Coach of the Week[/b]

Cincinnati defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan. After losing a crushing game at San Francisco in Week 15, and then losing starting safeties Madieu Williams and Dexter Jackson in practice last Thursday (talk about when it rains it pours), Bresnahan simplified the gameplan so as not to overwhelm his rookie safeties and emphasized pressure on Derek Anderson.

"We had to establish the pressure game early and keep it going for four quarters," said Bresnahan on Sunday night. "I thought we played coverage well, and he [Anderson] threw a couple right to us."

It's a mark of a good coach when you've got nothing to play for, the other team has everything to play for, and you come out like the team that has something at stake.[/quote]

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/23/week16/4.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...3/week16/4.html[/url]

[quote name='bubba' post='613406' date='Dec 23 2007, 08:45 PM']Why would O'Neal be gone ? He is under contract next year. Plus he has played well !! I also hope we resign williams ( But not start him )[/quote]

Let's see ---------- he was benched to make room for younger draft picks that make less than he does. When he was benched he was the best cover corner as JJ was still fighting injury and Hall was green at best. Depsite this he was still benched and he was not happy about it.

He has been in Marvin's doghouse for almost 2 season now.

I doubt he remains a Bengal.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='613527' date='Dec 24 2007, 08:13 AM']O'neal isn't going anywhere.[/quote]

Please tell me why instead of that blanket statement.

Every indication has been that O'Neal is gone. Again, your best cover corner (O'Neal) is benched for (at the time) struggling, younger lower paid corners. He is your highest paid corner and the coaches had been critical of him for going on two years. How many teams have the 3rd corner as the highest paid on the team?

I hope your correct that he returns. I think he has been wrongfully put in the doghouse. Last season he was playing at a pro bowl level when he hurt his shoulder (SD). He played through it but was called out due to poor tackling and poor play. The coaches called him out all preseason and he was PO'd about it. He was on record as saying his issues were due to his injury and he failed to show up for any of the voluntary workouts.

This season he was back to pro bowl form ------- at least in coverage. He missed a tackle and despite Hall costing us two games O'Neal was benched and never regained his starting position. He spoke of this as a wrong when it happened.

Again ---------- I like O'Neal and think he is a very good player --------- however, I'm not watching the film and practice day in and day out so I could be completely off base.

[quote name='cwing' post='613598' date='Dec 24 2007, 12:02 PM']Please tell me why instead of that blanket statement.

Every indication has been that O'Neal is gone. Again, your best cover corner (O'Neal) is benched for (at the time) struggling, younger lower paid corners. He is your highest paid corner and the coaches had been critical of him for going on two years. How many teams have the 3rd corner as the highest paid on the team?

I hope your correct that he returns. I think he has been wrongfully put in the doghouse. Last season he was playing at a pro bowl level when he hurt his shoulder (SD). He played through it but was called out due to poor tackling and poor play. The coaches called him out all preseason and he was PO'd about it. He was on record as saying his issues were due to his injury and he failed to show up for any of the voluntary workouts.

This season he was back to pro bowl form ------- at least in coverage. He missed a tackle and despite Hall costing us two games O'Neal was benched and never regained his starting position. He spoke of this as a wrong when it happened.

Again ---------- I like O'Neal and think he is a very good player --------- however, I'm not watching the film and practice day in and day out so I could be completely off base.[/quote]
it doesnt matter if deltha is making more than Jonjo or Hall. Oneal is making pennies still. The odds of him being here are 50/50. It all depends on how FA/Draft go. They wont just release him and move down to 2 CBs, unless they feel they have a better 3rd CB.

Archived