Deshaun Foster cut

PANTHERS CUT FOSTER

So much for the Panthers trading running back DeShaun Foster. On Thursday, the Panthers cut the six-year veteran.

We always believed that a trade of Foster was unlikely. A player who is expected to be cut often is traded only when his current contract is believed to be more favorable than what he would get on the open market. In such a case, it makes sense to give up, say, a fifth-round pick in order to buy the contract.

But Foster was due to earn $4.75 million in 2008, the final year of his contract. So there was no reason to give up a draft pick when he likely can be had on the open market for far less.

Foster was a second-round pick in 2002.

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2003 CAR 14 113 429 3.8 21 0 22 1 1
2004 CAR 4 59 255 4.3 71 2 13 0 0
2005 CAR 15 205 879 4.3 70 2 34 1 0
2006 CAR 14 227 897 4.0 43 3 49 3 2
2007 CAR 16 247 876 3.5 20 3 42 5 4
Career 63 851 3336 3.9 71 10 160 10 7

although his stats were not much better than Rudi's so....

I think all things would be equal to stay with Rudi...

SHAUN GETTING THE SHAFT?

We're hearing multiple rumblings from our connections at the Scouting Combine that the Seahawks could be cutting running back Shaun Alexander soon.

A media source told us moments ago that the move could come "in the next couple of days."

It would be the last step in a dramatic fall from grace for running back the NFL's MVP in 2005. Once Alexander got rewarded with a big contract in 2006, his performance began to dip. In 2007, he was, as the league insider types say, "just a guy."

Alexander is under contract through 2013, with total remaining non-guaranteed base salaries of $43.1625 million.

Foster has always been injury-prone, and a fumbler to boot. He never was able to be anything more than a good change of pace guy, and the more carries he got, the less effective he was. He's a good receiver but not a very physical player. I don't think he gives you what a healthy Chris Perry does... if we ever see that again.

He'll want big $, and I wouldn't give it to him.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='634473' date='Feb 21 2008, 05:34 PM']SHAUN GETTING THE SHAFT?

We're hearing multiple rumblings from our connections at the Scouting Combine that the Seahawks could be cutting running back Shaun Alexander soon.

A media source told us moments ago that the move could come "in the next couple of days."

It would be the last step in a dramatic fall from grace for running back the NFL's MVP in 2005. Once Alexander got rewarded with a big contract in 2006, his performance began to dip. In 2007, he was, as the league insider types say, "just a guy."

Alexander is under contract through 2013, with total remaining non-guaranteed base salaries of $43.1625 million.[/quote]

That would be a gamble worth taking. I wouldnt touch Foster...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='634515' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:40 PM']Fuck DeShaun and Alexander. Too much money for either and too big of question marks for durability.[/quote]

Yeah? How much are they asking?

Oh, right, you have no idea.

Either one could be looking for a short-term contract as proof that they deserve one more big pay-day.

Why don't you call their agents (I assume that you have their numbers) and see if they're interested in a one-year prove-it deal?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='634464' date='Feb 21 2008, 05:00 PM']Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2003 CAR 14 113 429 3.8 21 0 22 1 1
2004 CAR 4 59 255 4.3 71 2 13 0 0
2005 CAR 15 205 879 4.3 70 2 34 1 0
2006 CAR 14 227 897 4.0 43 3 49 3 2
2007 CAR 16 247 876 3.5 20 3 42 5 4
Career 63 851 3336 3.9 71 10 160 10 7

although his stats were not much better than Rudi's so....

I think all things would be equal to stay with Rudi...[/quote]

better? he isnt even 50% of the production rudi was...

never a 1000 yard season? rudi was 1300+ every year and 12 td's exactly every year.. until 2007 with injuries...

[quote name='mjm47' post='634516' date='Feb 21 2008, 09:50 PM']Yeah? How much are they asking?

Either one could be looking for a short-term contract as proof that they deserve one more big pay-day.

Why don't you call their agents (I assume that you have their numbers) and see if they're interested in a one-year prove-it deal?[/quote]

:lol:

Alexander is intriguing. Would we rather pay him than Rudi?

Anyone watch him enough this year to know if he's lost it, or if it was just a bad year?

The only reason I think it might be even slightly possible is because he's from here. I remember before he signed his last contract there was speculation about him coming here. Maybe not serious speculation, but if I remember right he made a couple of comments about how he liked the idea of playing at home.

I don't know. Someone will probably pay him a lot more than what would be practical for us. If no one is willing to pay him much, then there are probably good reasons and we probably shouldn't sign him either. I just remember how good he was a couple of years ago.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='634519' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:22 PM']better? he isnt even 50% of the production rudi was...

never a 1000 yard season? rudi was 1300+ every year and 12 td's exactly every year.. until 2007 with injuries...[/quote]

I was referring to last year only....didn't make that clear....

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='634538' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:34 AM']Alexander is intriguing. Would we rather pay him than Rudi?

Anyone watch him enough this year to know if he's lost it, or if it was just a bad year?

The only reason I think it might be even slightly possible is because he's from here. I remember before he signed his last contract there was speculation about him coming here. Maybe not serious speculation, but if I remember right he made a couple of comments about how he liked the idea of playing at home.

I don't know. Someone will probably pay him a lot more than what would be practical for us. If no one is willing to pay him much, then there are probably good reasons and we probably shouldn't sign him either. I just remember how good he was a couple of years ago.[/quote]

Honestly, I think he has lost it. He did a lot of the Texas 10 step in the backfield like Rudi has done the past two years.

[quote name='mjm47' post='634516' date='Feb 21 2008, 09:50 PM']Yeah? How much are they asking?

Why don't you call their agents (I assume that you have their numbers) and see if they're interested in a one-year prove-it deal?[/quote]
DeShaun Foster cannot stay healthy, so let's agree that we don't need a guy like that since we already have one (Perry). Although DeShaun has seen the field a lot more than Perry, to be fair.
Shaun Alexander...plays like Rudi anymore, and will LIKELY command far more money than he is worth or we are willing to pay.
Better?
Jagoff.

Archived