Antwan Odom To Visit Sunday

[quote]The Bengals are apparently set on remaking their defensive line. While it appears that end Justin Smith will sign with the 49ers -- or the Vikings if he doesn't do a quick deal in San Francisco -- the Bengals will entertain a prized free agent Sunday in Tennessee Titans defensive end Antwan Odom.

Odom, a four-year veteran from Alabama, is a 274-pound defensive end who had a career-high eight sacks last season for the Titans. He is an unrestricted free agent. The visit with the Bengals will be his first.[/quote]

How nice would this be to get him along with shaun rodgers.

WHO DEY!! make something happen

[quote name='rizzy' post='637025' date='Feb 29 2008, 02:20 PM']The Bengals are apparently set on remaking their defensive line. While it appears that end Justin Smith will sign with the 49ers -- or the Vikings if he doesn't do a quick deal in San Francisco -- the Bengals will entertain a prized free agent Sunday in Tennessee Titans defensive end Antwan Odom.

Odom, a four-year veteran from Alabama, is a 274-pound defensive end who had a career-high eight sacks last season for the Titans. He is an unrestricted free agent. The visit with the Bengals will be his first.[/quote]

Source, please.

[quote name='happyrid' post='637064' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:39 PM']Is Odom a pure 4-3 DE?

Could he play DE or OLB in a 3-4?[/quote]

I would think 4-3.

My guess is, if Odom signs, we stick to a 4-3. If he doesn't, we can still be open to either in the draft (assuming they think rodgers can be a NT in a 3-4).

[quote name='happyrid' post='637064' date='Feb 29 2008, 02:39 PM']Is Odom a pure 4-3 DE?

Could he play DE or OLB in a 3-4?[/quote]

He's 6'6", 274. He's certainly got the prototypical 4-3 DE size. Although, from what I've seen, he's strong enough at the point of attack to hold up well in a 3-4...but that's just my opinion.

He's a 4-3 end and not as quick as Geathers

I think it would be foolish to go from 100% 4-3 to 100% 3-4 in one year, you need to transition into it.

That said I would love to have him, we need more versatility in our defense and need to run both the schemes

Bottom line no matter the scheme: he makes us a better team and thats the point, who cares about the scheme we need better football players

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='637073' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:43 PM']That's what I'm thinking. He would have to be an OLB in a 3-4. How fast is he. Is he as quick as Geathers?[/quote]

This is what comes up when you yahoo it...

"workouts, he ran a 4.75-second 40-yard dash, bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times ... Born Antwan Deon Odom on Sept. 24, 1981 in Mobile, Alabama"

For what it's worth, Geathers ran a 4.87 40 and is listed at 6'2" and 273.

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='637081' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:45 PM']He's a 4-3 end and not as quick as Geathers

I think it would be foolish to go from 100% 4-3 to 100% 3-4 in one year, you need to transition into it.

That said I would love to have him, we need more versatility in our defense and need to run both the schemes

Bottom line no matter the scheme: he makes us a better team and thats the point, who cares about the scheme we need better football players[/quote]

I agree with your last line and I don't think a final decision will be made until after the draft. I disagree about the whole transition thing though. Most of the guys who are likely to start weren't even on the team last year or barely played last year (Thurman, Pollack, Brooks, Rogers, Fanene, Rucker) and a guy like Geathers got a lot of PT at LB last year.

I suspect that they are leaning towards the 3-4. If Odom can play OLB and they can get a DE in the draft like Merling, we could be pretty damn loaded up front.

[quote name='CJBESTINAFC' post='637089' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:48 PM']So if we do get Odom, DE and DT have been addressed, who do you draft in the first. Personally I would draft Mendenhall at #9 and dump Rudi. I also like the possiblity of drafting Rivers in the first. LB could also be the move in the second round. Your thoughts?[/quote]

I'd still take Ellis at 9 if he's there. More depth at RB than DL in this draft.

Archived