Odom finalizing deal w/ Bengals!

[quote name='Bean Counter' post='639434' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:02 PM']I will wait for something official before getting excited.[/quote]

I'm guessing Curnutte wouldn't be getting contract details if it wasn't a done deal.

[quote]The terms of the deal are five years, $29.5 million, with $11.5 million in guaranteed money.[/quote]

not too bad of a deal, I would have preferred something in the $25million range, but this works.

[quote]Odom's first Bengal sack
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 3, 2008

7 p.m.
Antwan Odom recorded his first sack as a Bengal Monday when he swooped in from Tennessee to give Cincinnati its first jolt in free agency.

[b]Agent Rich Rosa confirmed the five-year deal Monday evening that borders on $30 million with more than $11 million guaranteed. [/b]

The Bengals pursued him so aggressively that they literally took him off the plane bound for Phoenix. Rosa said he was headed back from the airport to stay n town Monday nighr.

The 6-5, 274-pound Odom rung up eight sacks in his first season as a starter last year for the Titans and gives the Bengals another lean and athletic pass-rushing threat opposite left end Robert Geathers.

The move appears to keep the Bengals in a 4-3 defense with Odom ticketed to replace Justin Smith at right end and it helps take the sting out of the trades for defensive tackles Shaun Rogers and Dwayne Robertson that fell through.

Smith, who started there the past 107 straight games, signed with San Francisco over the weekend. With his eight sacks, the 26-year-old Odom did what Smith hasn't done since 2004 and did twice in seven years.

But Odom had some big help.

A second-round pick out of Alabama in 2004, Odom formed one of the NFL's more potent sack duos with Kyle Vanden Bosch's dozen sacks in a year the Bengals finished last in the NFL in sacks per pass. The Bengals are banking on the duo of Geathers, who had a career-high 10.5 sacks in 2006, Odom to have the same kind of production.

After getting knocked down in their bids for Rogers and Robertson, they made sure[/quote]

looks like he's not finished typing it yet. :lol:

EDIT: a little more: (pickup where the first part ended)

[quote]Odom and wife Brooke didn't get on the plane at the Cincinnati Northern Kentucky Airport Monday night for a recruiting trip to Arizona and a meeting with the Cardinals. The Vikings were also a possible destination after they didn't extract Smith from the 49ers.

"The Bengals certainly made therm feel comfortable during th[/quote]

Come on Hobson, finish it off. Say "I think I can, I think I can..."

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='639444' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:12 PM']So let's began deep analysis and comparison of Justin vs. Antwan while we wait for finalization.

(And by finalization I mean seeing him on the field week 1, which is about what it is going to take for me to believe anything with this club anymore.)[/quote]

No matter what I think we will do better with production vs. dollars than we did last year at that position.

Let's get this straight.

We wanted him SOOOO badly that we waited until the Robertson deal was off to makea final push.

Yep, that sounds about right.

FWIW, I like Odom and can live with his contract (alleged). We just look too reactionary in everything we do. No foresight, only reaction.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='639447' date='Mar 4 2008, 11:14 AM']No matter what I think we will do better with production vs. dollars than we did last year at that position.[/quote]
No shit.

Of course, we could have achieved that standard with Frostee or Fanene. :D

Nice to see a deal get done. Hopefully this makes life a lot easier for Geathers next season.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='639457' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:27 PM']Let's get this straight.

We wanted him SOOOO badly that we waited until the Robertson deal was off to makea final push.

Yep, that sounds about right.

FWIW, I like Odom and can live with his contract (alleged). We just look too reactionary in everything we do. No foresight, only reaction.[/quote]

Not sure how you connect the two, but I think being aggressive in going after the best DE left on the market shows they are at least trying to upgrade defensively. Take the $$ you save with this deal (compared to what Smith got) and you can do other things. Maybe a Utecht or another LB??

So, our 4 DEs...

Fanene
Geathers
Odom
Rucker

I wonder if they try to call Fanene a DT/DE and possibly keep another pure DE.

This also puts us far more heavily into drafting a DT or LB.

So much so I'd say its fair to say Ellis, Dorsey, Balmer (Trade), Gholston (OLB), or Rivers will be a Bengal.

If not them, then Rashard Mendenhall, or trading our pick into future years. (A 20 something this year plus next years first Rder, which I doubt since Marvin needs to have a good year to extend the goodwill he's built up but people have otherwise forgotten about.)

[quote name='oldschooler' post='639462' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:33 PM']I can`t help but think what this means for/about David Pollack.

If Odom is a pure 4-3 DE, then that would indicate that Pollack
isn`t going to play DE . . .[/quote]

not necessarily. I doubt they are looking for Pollack to be a starter. He'd be in a rotation with Odom, Geathers, and Rucker and/or draft pick.

Look at the Giants, they have Strahan, Tuck, Umenyiora, and Kiwanuka.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='639462' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:33 PM']I can`t help but think what this means for/about David Pollack.

If Odom is a pure 4-3 DE, then that would indicate that Pollack
isn`t going to play DE . . .[/quote]
screw thinking about pollack noone even knows if he will play for sure
he could hit the wrong way one play and drop dead and die....just saying i love the guy n all tho

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='639467' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:40 PM']So, our 4 DEs...

Fanene
Geathers
Odom
Rucker

I wonder if they try to call Fanene a DT/DE and possibly keep another pure DE.[/quote]

yea IMO (or at least what I'd do), Fanene is a full-time DT, put a little weight on Rucker and make him the tweener, and still draft a DE. That gives you: Geathers, Odom, Pollack (?), and a draft pick at DE, with Fanene, Peko, Thornton, Myers/draft pick/free agent, and Rucker as your swing man.

That way, even if Rucker doesn't stay healthy, he's only your 5th option at each position (he'd also be your passing down DT).

Archived