With Landon gone

As we move forward with the draft and FA everyone we can do so with the knowledge that a blueprint of our current starters is in place. Each player added will be gravy to the team we have here.

I'd love to add a C to go with Ghiacuc, a Vet safety, a playmaking DT and another LB. With the exception of C we seem to be looking at all of the other positions.

QB Palmer 2014
RB Johnson 2009
FB Johnson 2011
WR Johnson 2011
WR Housh 2008
WR Henry 2009
TE Kelly 2009
LT Jones 2012
LG Whitworth 2009/Andrews
C Ghiacuc 2008
RG Williams 2009
RT Anderson 2011

K Graham 2008
P Larson 2012
LS St. Louis 2009

LE Odom 2012
LT Peko 2009
RT Thornton 2008
RE Geathers 2012
SLB Jeanty 2008
MLB Brooks 2009
WLB Jones 2010
SS NdUkwe 2010
FS White 2010
CB Hall 2011
CB Joseph 2010

[quote name='globetrotter' post='641286' date='Mar 7 2008, 10:01 AM']As we move forward with the draft and FA everyone we can do so with the knowledge that a blueprint of our current starters is in place. Each player added will be gravy to the team we have here.

I'd love to add a C to go with Ghiacuc, a Vet safety, a playmaking DT and another LB. With the exception of C we seem to be looking at all of the other positions.

QB Palmer 2014
RB Johnson 2009
FB Johnson 2011
WR Johnson 2011
WR Housh 2008
WR Henry 2009
TE Kelly 2009
LT Jones 2012
C Ghiacuc 2008
RG Williams 2009
RT Anderson 2011

K Graham 2008
P Larson 2012
LS St. Louis 2009

LE Odom 2012
LT Peko 2009
RT Thornton 2008
RE Geathers 2012
SLB Jeanty 2008
MLB Brooks 2009
WLB Jones 2010
SS NdUkwe 2010
FS White 2010
CB Hall 2011
CB Joseph 2010[/quote]

Add a veteran center, ...please!

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='641328' date='Mar 7 2008, 11:07 AM']Did Jeanty get resigned? He is a RFA correct (checking the salary cap page)?[/quote]

yea, he was an ERFA, which means he can't get offers that we get to match like a normal RFA. He basically can only sign with us unless we choose not to sign him or cut him. I think he, and some of the other ERFA's all took 1yr deals.

[quote name='Captain Awesome' post='641410' date='Mar 7 2008, 04:23 PM']We also need impact players for KR and PR. So so players who always seem to have a case of the dropsies really don't do much to help the team.[/quote]

I still say the problems, at least with regards to punt returns, is with the coverage, not the returner. You can put Hester back there and it won't matter if he doesn't get any time, which our guys haven't been getting.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='641286' date='Mar 7 2008, 10:01 AM']As we move forward with the draft and FA everyone we can do so with the knowledge that a blueprint of our current starters is in place. Each player added will be gravy to the team we have here.

QB Palmer 2014
RB Johnson 2009
FB Johnson 2011
WR Johnson 2011
WR Housh 2008
WR Henry 2009
TE Kelly 2009
LT Jones 2012
C Ghiacuc 2008
RG Williams 2009
RT Anderson 2011

K Graham 2008
P Larson 2012
LS St. Louis 2009

LE Odom 2012
LT Peko 2009
RT Thornton 2008
RE Geathers 2012
SLB Jeanty 2008
MLB Brooks 2009
WLB Jones 2010
SS NdUkwe 2010
FS White 2010
CB Hall 2011
CB Joseph 2010[/quote]

i think a 1st round LB will replace jones or jeanty.. and is jeanty even under contract? i thought he was an exclusive rights FA... did he sign a new deal yet?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641419' date='Mar 7 2008, 04:34 PM']i think a 1st round LB will replace jones or jeanty.. and is jeanty even under contract? i thought he was an exclusive rights FA... did he sign a new deal yet?[/quote]
well its not like jeanty is going anywhere. he can only sit out the year or get traded. i dont see him going anywhere and im pretty sure he likes it here from the rare interviews ive seen of him.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='641420' date='Mar 7 2008, 04:40 PM'][b]Keith Rivers![/b][/quote]

i would love rivers on the weak, brooks/thurman on the middle, and thurman/jeanty/jones on the strong side

and if we can get a DT in the 2nd round like pat sims or someone else that would be so badass :hmm:

My money's on Odell Thurman as the starting weakside linebacker.

THe most glaring need is DT to push John Thornton right to the bench (or, even better, right off the roster). Other than that the only real questions are at safety (whatever Ndukwe doesn't play) and SLB (an upgrade over Jeanty wouldn't suck).

If the Bengals can fix at least one of those spots in free agency, you'd think they've got a shot to plug the other two holes with their first two picks in the draft. Then it's up to Mike Zimmer to get it done.

[quote name='Big Alice' post='641487' date='Mar 7 2008, 10:25 PM']My money's on Odell Thurman as the starting weakside linebacker.

THe most glaring need is DT to push John Thornton right to the bench (or, even better, right off the roster). Other than that the only real questions are at safety (whatever Ndukwe doesn't play) and SLB (an upgrade over Jeanty wouldn't suck).

If the Bengals can fix at least one of those spots in free agency, you'd think they've got a shot to plug the other two holes with their first two picks in the draft. Then it's up to Mike Zimmer to get it done.[/quote]

a guy doesnt stay on the roster, never lose his starting job and keep the cap hit year over year if he isnt doing his job and worth keeping, every dt next to him has been replaced every year he was here. theres a reason for it. JT is a good DT, he isnt great, he is no pro bowler, but you cant afford pro bowlers at every spot, he does his job, sadly none of the LB's behind him have done a damn thing.

we need LB help far far far FAR more than any spot on the dline.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641421' date='Mar 7 2008, 04:42 PM']seems likely[/quote]

explain why that seems likely. i'm not saying it won't happen, just that if it does i'll be shaking my head till the marbles fall out.

we've worked harder this off season at obtaining a game changing, top level tackle than ever before...and to no avail. if we can't accomplish this in free agency, for whatever reason, why wouldn't that become our main concern and goal early in the draft? grabbing a competent LB, after the first round, is going to be much easier than getting the kind of DT this team needs.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='641442' date='Mar 7 2008, 06:12 PM']i would love rivers on the weak, brooks/thurman on the middle, and thurman/jeanty/jones on the strong side

and if we can get a DT in the 2nd round like pat sims or someone else that would be so badass :hmm:[/quote]

ok, but what if we go that route and find pat sims and trevor laws have already been selected as we sit there at pick #46. that very likely could happen.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641498' date='Mar 7 2008, 11:29 PM']we need LB help far far far FAR more than any spot on the dline.[/quote]

ok, if that's the case, why were we trying so hard to sign rogers in the opening minutes of FA?after that failed, why did we immediately concentrate our efforts on dwayne robertson, flying him in, agreeing to a trade, only to find we couldn't come to his outrageous monetary demands.

those actions fly in the face of what you're so certain of, here.

Archived