Bengals at the center of trade rumors

[img]http://www.bigcprofootball.com/images/logo/bigc-insider.png[/img]
[b]Bengals at the center of trade rumors[/b]

[b]By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
Cox News Service
March 23, 2008[/b]

With the NFL draft a little more than a month away, trade rumors are running rampant throughout the league and the Cincinnati Bengals seem to be in the thick of things. The Bengals, who have missed out on signing some key free agents including three of their own, have been the subject of conversation when it comes to these rumors.[img]http://www.bigcprofootball.com/articles/media/images/10069.jpg[/img]

[b]Interest in Alexander[/b]

There have been reports that the Bengals could have an interest in Seattle Seahawks RB [b]Shaun Alexander[/b] whose future with the club appears to be in jeopardy. The Seahawks replenished their backfield this offseason with the signing of free agent running backs [b]T.J. Duckett [/b]and [b]Julius Jones[/b]. This could be a sign that Alexander is on his way out.

Alexander is due to make $4.475 million in base salary for the '08 season and would count $6.75 million against the Seahawks' salary cap. Based on those figures alone Alexander is likely to be a salary cap casualty unless he agrees to restructure his contract.

Alexander turns 31 years old in August and his numbers have been declining for the past two seasons. Not many teams would be willing to pay top dollar for an injury-prone, has-been running back.

[b]Dump Rudi?[/b]

Word on the street is that the Bengals are looking to jump start their running game after a lackluster performance by RB [b]Rudi Johnson[/b] in the '07 season ... not to mention the chunk of change he stands to make in '08. The Bengals may look to dump Rudi and the $3.2 million he is scheduled to make this season. Bottom line, Rudi could be a post-June 1 release.

Alexander may not be the answer for the Bengals, but another back might.

[b]Will they move up?[/b]

Rumors are circulating that the Bengals may consider moving up the draft board to select Arkansas RB [b]Darren McFadden[/b] if he slips past the Oakland Raiders who sit at the No. 4 slot.[img]http://www.bigcprofootball.com/articles/media/images/10066.jpg[/img]

McFadden's stock is said to be dipping a bit, but no way does he fall to No. 9 where the Bengals currently pick. In order to secure a legitimate shot at McFadden, the Bengals would have to leapfrog the New York Jets at No. 6 who love him like a fat kid loves cake.

Bengal fans shouldn't be at all surprised if the team opts to choose a running back with their first selection rather than address a more obvious need like defensive tackle or offensive tackle.

The team went against the popular consensus in the 2004 draft when they selected Michigan RB [b]Chris Perry[/b]. History could repeat itself if the cards play out in the Bengals' favor on draft day.

Keep in mind that Bengals head coach [b]Marvin Lewis[/b] is a firm believer that if you always draft by need at some point you're going to get your feelings hurt. You know what, he's right.

Fans, don't get all caught up in the draft hype that the Bengals are eyeing one of the premiere D-tackles in the first-round because you may get your feelings hurt.

[b][img]http://www.bigcprofootball.com/articles/media/images/10067.jpg[/img] for [img]http://www.bigcprofootball.com/articles/media/images/10068.jpg[/img][/b]

Rumors of the Bengals trading WR [b]Chad Johnson[/b] to the St. Louis Rams in return for WR [b]Torry Holt[/b] and a draft pick are just that. Rams head coach [b]Scott Linehan[/b] quickly put the kibosh on any trade scenario involving the team's star receiver about a week ago.

"There's no interest, no discussions about trading Torry Holt," Linehan said. "He's on our team, we want him on our team, and I hope he feels the same way."

Out of all the trade rumors linked to the flamboyant Johnson, I find this one to be the most intriguing. Holt is a very fine receiver and a class act to boot. He's a leader in the locker room as well as on the field and is a consummate professional. The best word to describe Holt is unselfish. He would be a welcome addition in Cincinnati.

Although Holt is nearly two years older than Johnson, he's an extremely hard worker and has kept himself in tip-top shape. Talking to those within the Rams organization who know him best said that Holt is showing no signs of slowing down.

[b]Front office change[/b]

Whispers are that there may be a change in the way the Bengals organization conducts their ironclad business. Some people may describe the team's current negotiating practice as being cheap, but I'm sure the Bengals front office views it much differently. I think they like to call it smart money management.

Either way changes are expected to be made at the top and are believed to be for the betterment of the organization.

[url="http://www.bigcprofootball.com/articles/viewarticle.php?id=1082"]http://www.bigcprofootball.com/articles/vi...cle.php?id=1082[/url]

:lol:

That Chad-Holt trade rumor was a farce started by a couple of guys from St. Louis who randomly dropped by this site to stir up shit. And now it's in national press? Hilarious!

If we traded up to take McFadden, I would not at all be disappointed. I'd prefer a DT, but the lack of a RB destroyed last season singlehandedly, even with all of the injuries on D. I'd rather they trade up for Ellis or Dorsey, but I would be thrilled with any of the 3 to be honest.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='645675' date='Mar 24 2008, 03:11 AM']:lol:

That Chad-Holt trade rumor was a farce started by a couple of guys from St. Louis who randomly dropped by this site to stir up shit. And now it's in national press? Hilarious!

If we traded up to take McFadden, I would not at all be disappointed. I'd prefer a DT, but the lack of a RB destroyed last season singlehandedly, even with all of the injuries on D. I'd rather they trade up for Ellis or Dorsey, but I would be thrilled with any of the 3 to be honest.[/quote]

Don't even talk like that, trading up for McFadden. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. But I must admit, its something
so stupid I could see Marvagina doing it.

As you say, if they trade up for anyone it should be for Ellis or Dorsey if they are convinced his leg problems will not
be a problem.

I thought McFadden had some baggage, too.
But please, no running backs or wide receivers in the first round.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='645675' date='Mar 24 2008, 04:11 AM']:lol:

If we traded up to take McFadden, I would not at all be disappointed. I'd prefer a DT, but the lack of a RB destroyed last season singlehandedly, even with all of the injuries on D. I'd rather they trade up for Ellis or Dorsey, but I would be thrilled with any of the 3 to be honest.[/quote]

:lol:

Yeah just goes to show how many of these guys get their info from message boards.

Run DMC in stripes! Trevor Laws in round two.

He automatically makes us a better offense. A homerun threat as well as a trickery threat the way he can toss the ball. I would absoultely love it.

The Chad Johnson-Tory Holt trade may have been a rumour started by 2 guys, but I wish the Bengals would atleast pursue it. I actually think this trade makes sense. Git rid of controversy and replace it with professionallism, without any dropoff. Also, I think Holt would be cheaper than Chad and that would mean more space to sign TJ to a fat contract (We need TJ more than Chad IMO - TJ has an X factor that non of our other players on offense posess, we will struggle more without TJ than Chad). Draft a decent receiver on day 1 to groom in the shadow of Holt for a year or two. That's called being creative. Trouble is the Rams aren't dumb, and they know they've got a good player in Holt, so why would they want Chad. Also, would Chad really go to a perennial basement dweller like St.Louis?

As for the draft: It happens every year, Bengals will trade up/trade down (do the twist 'n all that), but nothing happen's they just sit. I've got a funny feeling Ellis will be their at #9. Our luck has to be in sometime.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='645706' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:06 AM']The Chad Johnson-Tory Holt trade may have been a rumour started by 2 guys, but I wish the Bengals would atleast pursue it. I actually think this trade makes sense. Git rid of controversy and replace it with professionallism, without any dropoff. Also, I think Holt would be cheaper than Chad and that would mean more space to sign TJ to a fat contract (We need TJ more than Chad IMO - TJ has an X factor that non of our other players on offense posess, we will struggle more without TJ than Chad). Draft a decent receiver on day 1 to groom in the shadow of Holt for a year or two. [b]That's called being creative. Trouble is the Rams aren't dumb, and they know they've got a good player in Holt, so why would they want Chad. Also, would Chad really go to a perennial basement dweller like St.Louis?[/b]

As for the draft: It happens every year, Bengals will trade up/trade down (do the twist 'n all that), but nothing happen's they just sit. I've got a funny feeling Ellis will be their at #9. Our luck has to be in sometime.[/quote]

St. Louis hasn't been a preennial basemanet dweller in nearly a decade?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='645723' date='Mar 24 2008, 11:25 AM']Agreed...I think Mendenhall is the all around best RB in this draft.[/quote]
But....according to the so called experts....he can't block.

Is he a good blocker?

If not, he's got NO place on the Bengals roster.

[quote name='Cricket' post='645734' date='Mar 24 2008, 12:03 PM'][b]...so the Bengals plan of distributing dis-information regarding their plans for the upcoming draft is working... ;) [/b][/quote]

Somewhat. However our attempts to start steroid rumors about Gholsten do not seem to be dropping his draft status.

This is the best rumor I've heard yet:

[b]Body Parts Found in Chad Johnson's Locker[/b]
According to Jimmy Flowers, Dawg Pound PSL holder and Cleveland Browns fanatic, not only did Ocho Cinco punch Marvin Lewis in the eye, but he cut him up with a chainsaw and stored his body parts in his locker. A major team cover-up was immediately put into effect. Contrary to statements made by the ghost of coach Lewis, the Bengals are shopping 85 to other NFL teams. One team reportedly interested is the Tennessee Titans, who are working on package that would sent DT Albert Haynesworth and CB Pacman Jones to The Bengals for Johnson.

[quote name='High School Harry' post='645676' date='Mar 24 2008, 05:06 AM']Don't even talk like that, trading up for McFadden. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. But I must admit, its something
so stupid I could see Marvagina doing it.

As you say, if they trade up for anyone it should be for Ellis or Dorsey if they are convinced his leg problems will not
be a problem.

I thought McFadden had some baggage, too.
But please, no running backs or wide receivers in the first round.[/quote]

come on, harry. you've followed this carnage too long to not realize if we move up for mcfadden, it won't be marvin lewis that made that fucked up decision.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='645675' date='Mar 24 2008, 04:11 AM']:lol:

That Chad-Holt trade rumor was a farce started by a couple of guys from St. Louis who randomly dropped by this site to stir up shit. And now it's in national press? Hilarious![/quote]

Big C holmes in the dayton daily news is hardly national press. but im still surprised its there...

tho thats about half a step up from being on a xeroxed flyer in a night club.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='645706' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:06 AM']Also, would Chad really go to a perennial basement dweller like St.Louis?[/quote]

lol

He keeps signing new contracts in Cinci.

Besides, the Rams are an offensive line away from contending.

Stephen Jackson, Mark Bulger, good stuff.

Archived