Hair...Hair...Long Beautiful Hair...

[i]Hair might not flow from NFL helmets next year
Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:22 AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Troy Polamalu might not have to worry about getting tackled again by his hair.

At their meetings next week in Palm Beach, Fla., NFL owners will consider a proposal to ban players from having hair flow from their helmets below their names on the back of their jerseys.

That might affect Polamalu's image but help him on the field. Two seasons ago, the Pittsburgh safety with the long, flowing locks had his hair grabbed by Kansas City's Larry Johnson and was thrown to the turf after an interception against the Chiefs.

The rule banning long hair on the field was proposed by the Chiefs. It does not require players to get haircuts but does "require them to tuck it up inside their helmets," said Atlanta president Rich McKay, chairman of the league's competition committee.

Polamalu is the best known of the players, most of them defensive backs, with hair flowing outside their helmets. Others include cornerbacks Al Harris of Green Bay and Mike McKenzie of New Orleans.

Because the rule was proposed by a team, the competition committee did not take a position on it. It will be discussed Monday with a package of other rules.
[/i]

The Peko-Do gone too?

Waste of time. If a guy takes the risk and grows his hair long then let him suffer the consequences. When asked about being tackled by the hair Troy said "If I'm being tackled by my hair... that means I have the ball... and that's a good thing for the team"

Shouldn't the rules committee being looking at more rules to protect the pussy QB's rather then worry about hair length?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='646562' date='Mar 27 2008, 11:56 AM']It would really suprise me if they were able to pull this one off, remember Peko's hair is about his culture, forcing them to cut it could be concidered discrimination.[/quote]

[quote]The rule banning long hair on the field was proposed by the Chiefs. [b]It does not require players to get haircuts [/b]but does "require them to tuck it up inside their helmets"[/quote]

;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='646562' date='Mar 27 2008, 09:56 AM']It would really suprise me if they were able to pull this one off, remember Peko's hair is about his culture, forcing them to cut it could be concidered discrimination.[/quote]
The league discriminates against alcoholics so why not cultural differences as well. It's just the continuing homogenization of the NFL.

I recall some talk about instituting something like this in the '70's and '80's. Gastineau was a target-point I remember:
[img]http://static.zoovy.com/img/helmethead2/W225-H225-Bffffff/mark_gastineau_2x.jpg[/img]

Kevin Greene was another.

In the 70's, hair was falling all over the place--but the rule of thumb (mostly enforced by coaches) was one had to tuck it under their hats. Big afros were a problem for the players...they always seemed to squeeze out through the earholes.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='646557' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:43 AM']Waste of time. If a guy takes the risk and grows his hair long then let him suffer the consequences. When asked about being tackled by the hair Troy said "If I'm being tackled by my hair... that means I have the ball... and that's a good thing for the team"

Shouldn't the rules committee being looking at more rules to protect the pussy QB's rather then worry about hair length?[/quote]

not sure, you know far more about pussy qb's than we do.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='646562' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:56 AM']It would really suprise me if they were able to pull this one off, remember Peko's hair is about his culture, forcing them to cut it could be concidered discrimination.[/quote]

Man, the article clearly stated that they wouldn't be forced to get their hair cut but they would be forced to tuck it inside their helmet. <smacks forehead>

With that said, what size helmet is Peko going to need to tuck all that shit in there? He's got a lot of fucking hair. Also, I'm assuming TJ's ponytail would also have to be tucked in?
MULLY

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='646735' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:06 PM']the NFL is way too strict on uniform shit[/quote]

Yeah, with the salaries being paid I think they have every right to want their players to look as nice as possible. Grass stains and rips and tears during game time aside, I want them looking nice when they come on the field. I never cared about that kind of stuff until I became a teacher and had to start imposing dress codes on students. For the most part I'm really lenient but there are times when I want to punch some of the right in the face for their classless manner.

Graduation ceremony comes to mind. Had a boy this year that showed up in his school uniform but his shirt wasn't completely tucked in, his tie was loose and hanging, ass of his pants hanging down, backs of the pant legs dragging the ground and getting caught under his heels. For God's fucking sake, it's your graduation ceremony. I understand that teenagers want to go against the rules and do these things but can't they have enough self control for 2 fucking hours, on the last day that they ever have to wear the fucking thing? I wanted to kick him in his nuts.

Nah, NFL players should look like a million bucks when they step out on the field.
MULLY
I also agree 1 billion percent with the NBA making the players wear suits when they show up on game day.

But with that said, I don't really mind the hair hanging out of the helmets. Peko's doesn't bother me because he keeps his tied up in the back. Not too thrilled with Polamalu's rag though........God I wish we could get Troy on our D.

[quote][size=5][b]New union president against NFL's hair proposal[/b][/size]
By PAUL KUHARSKY • Staff Writer • March 27, 2008

NFL players fearing they’ll have to go to the barber or find hairnets won’t have to worry if Titans center Kevin Mawae’s voice is heard.

The new president of the NFL Players Association said Thursday he’s against a proposal that would prohibit flowing hair that obscures the player’s name on the back of his jersey.

NFL owners will consider the proposal at their meetings in Florida next week.

“I don’t think there is any rule in the NFL rulebook saying your hair can’t be a certain length. For management council or ownership to say we need all our players to cut their hair or bind it up or whatever, I think they need to understand it goes way beyond just haircuts,” Mawae said.

“It goes into a cultural issue with the African American population in our league and also with the Polynesian population. The hair is a part of their culture. It’s part of the history and the background. To ask a player to cut it off just because a select few don’t like it, I think there is an issue with that.”

Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the competition committee that constructed the proposal, said he wouldn’t discuss the issue publicly until the owners meetings.

[b]Workout program:[/b] Fisher said he was “very pleased” with attendance in the team’s offseason conditioning program, which started on Monday.

“I chuckle over all the reports of who’s in and who’s not,” he said. “It’s a voluntary thing. … We have a lot of players here.”

Absences aren’t a concern at this point, Mawae said.

“It’s important to be here with your teammates, to let them know that we care, let us see you working hard and things like that,” he said. “But it is voluntary and guys who chose not to be here, we can’t hold that against them. We’ve just got to hope if they’re not here the whole time, when they do show up they are ready to roll and they’re in shape.”

[b]Losing weight:[/b] Fisher wanted receiver Mike Williams at 250 pounds by today. Earlier this week the former first-round pick was about four pounds short of the 20 he’d been told to lose.

“Very few people on this roster and other rosters accomplished what Mike was able to accomplish from the time the season was over until reporting,” Fisher said. “He worked and it’s obvious. I was pleased with his effort. That’s a good sign, it’s important.”

Reach Paul Kuharsky at 259-8024 or pkuharsky@tennessean.com.[/quote]

[url="http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080327/SPORTS01/80327107/1027"]http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1/80327107/1027[/url]

[quote]Losing weight: Fisher wanted receiver Mike Williams at 250 pounds by today. Earlier this week the former first-round pick was about four pounds short of the 20 he’d been told to lose.

“Very few people on this roster and other rosters accomplished what Mike was able to accomplish from the time the season was over until reporting,” Fisher said. “He worked and it’s obvious. I was pleased with his effort. That’s a good sign, it’s important.”[/quote]

man are they making him a TE now?

Archived