The "Chickster" again

[b][color="#0d5e96"][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/03/27/bengals_draft_buzz_1st_round_o.html"]Bengals draft buzz: 1st round OT a must[/color][/url][/b]
By [url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/03/27/bengals_draft_buzz_1st_round_o.html#postcomment"][color="#0d5e96"]Chick Ludwig [/color][/url]| Thursday, March 27, 2008, 12:39 PM

[b][b]PRIORITY NO. 1: PROTECT CARSON PALMER[/b][/b]
You name the area, any area, and the Cincinnati Bengals need help.

Not just at one position, but everywhere …

… everywhere except quarterback, where Carson Palmer and Ryan Fitzpatrick are 1-2 with Jeff Rowe (I call him "Jethro") and Jordan Palmer battling it out for No. 3.

Folks, I'm here to tell ya that I'm absolutely, positively convinced the Bengals should-must-will draft an offensive tackle with the No. 9 overall pick in the first round of the 2008 NFL draft on April 26.

Why? Because left tackle Levi Jones and right tackle Willie Anderson are hobbling around on bum knees and likely won't be able to play a 16-game season.

And because Stacy Andrews, anointed with the franchise tag ($7.455 million), refuses to sign a long-term contract and will likely leave in 2009 as an unrestricted free agent.

The team's No. 1 priority must always be keeping Palmer well-protected. That's why an athletic OT is the way to go in the first round. Other needs (DT, C, LB, FS, SS, KR) can be addressed later.

[b]REPEAT OF LEVI IN 2002[/b]

Remember back in 2002? The Bengals got RIPPED by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Chris Berman for selecting Levi Jones No. 10 overall. They needed a LT desperately, and Jones turned out to be an excellent pick.

It's time to pull the trigger again.

Of course, conventional wisdom says to select the best defensive tackle available in the first round because the run defense is so weak.

Either LSU's Glenn Dorsey or USC's Sedrick Ellis should be there.

I say, "DON'T DO IT"

The top pick should be one of the following: Boise State's Ryan Clady, Vanderbilt's Chris Williams, Pitt's Jeff Otah or Boston College's Gosder Cherilus.

Readers should feel free to spank me if I'm wrong. But the more I look at it, the better an OT looks!

[b]READERS WANT TO KNOW:[/b]

[b]From DemolitionDan:[/b] "When is the NFL going to let the Bengals know about Odell Thurman's 2008 status? Hopefully, it's before the draft. If not, well, that's just wrong."

—-The Chickster's response: Just like last year, I expect it'll be THE DAY BENGALS PLAYERS ARRIVE AT TRAINING CAMP IN JULY. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will take it right up to deadline. Any missteps by Thurman and he'll be out of the league for good.

[b]From BengalBill in Hamilton:[/b] "Hey, Chick. I would like to see the Bengals trade their first-round draft for a couple of journeyman players in needed positions. They could apply the millions of signing bonus money they'll save to the salaries of the new players. What say you?"

—-The Chickster's response: I love ya, Bill, but there's no way. The Bengals have already gobbled up journeymen LBs in Darryl Blackstock and Brandon Johnson. Both guys give the club added depth and will boost the special teams cover units. Bottom line: There are no "journeymen" that equate to a No. 9 draft pick.

[b]From DemolitionDan again:[/b] "Chick, I just read your recent blog with the Marvin Lewis interview on NFL Network. I must say that for the first time in a LONG time I am impressed with the way Marvin answered questions in an interview. Maybe he is just so drained during the season from answering questions from the media that in the offseason he's better. I don't know. The comparison he made to Kobe/injured player was great. Kudos to him for that. And thanks to you for posting that interview because I don't have cable or satellite, and so I didn't see it!"

—-The Chickster's response: I agree. It was great to see Marvin "shoot straight" instead of shooting himself in the foot.

[b]From Deron in Harrison:[/b] "I watched a video interview with Chris Henry and you were right there. He sounded different than he did in his first year. Not as awkward and introverted during the interview. Do you get a sense that this kid has turned the corner? Does he sound different to you? On another note, I thought Marvin was as good as he's ever been in his interview about Chad. I like the stance the team is taking. Somebody has to stand up to these Divas."

—-The Chickster's response: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes on Chris Henry. He not only sounds different, but looks different. Loose, relaxed, mature, and a lot more focused. After three years of turmoil that includes four arrests and two suspensions, Henry seems to have his act together. Being away from the game makes you appreciate it so much more. One of the beautiful things about being a Bengals beat writer is that we get to see young players grow up, mature and blossom as athletes and people.

[b]THE CHICKSTER ON THE RADIO[/b]

—-Friday, March 28: I'll be on WGRR (Oldies 103.5 FM) as a guest of the "Chris & Janeen-Married with Microphones" show at 6:50 a.m. and 8:50 a.m. (set your alarm clocks!)

—-Friday, March 28: I'll be on WONE-AM (980), live in studio, with Mark Schlemmer from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Until next time, this is "The Chickster" saying: Make Love, Not War; Give Peace a Chance; and Strawberry Fields Forever.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte...on/chickludwig/[/url]

________________________________________________________________________________
___

Has Ludwig lost his mind? I'm not even talking about his take on the Bengals. I'm talking about this third person "The Chickster" shit. Is he trying to be the "Ocho Cinco" of writers or something? Obviously he thinks it's cool or something. Makes him look like a bigger idiot than he already did.

Frist of all, I disagree that either Ellis or Dorsey "should be there" at 9. It's very possible both are gone within the first 5 picks.

Then, Chick talks about what a great pick Levi Jones was in 2002, then says we have to take an offensive tackle because we can't rely on Jones.

Basically, we have 4 starting caliber tackles on this team with Willie, Levi, Stacey, and Whit.

I could see an eventual Oline of Andrews at LT( dancing feet...thats what you need at LT) replacement at LG, Bluto at center, Bobbi at RG and Whitworth at RT ( mauling runblocking).......
Team needs to draft Mike McGlynn...he is versatile and has the "nasty" streak Oline coaches desire in a player. He finishes....

[quote name='JoePong' post='646603' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:14 PM']Frist of all, I disagree that either Ellis or Dorsey "should be there" at 9. It's very possible both are gone within the first 5 picks.

Then, Chick talks about what a great pick Levi Jones was in 2002, then says we have to take an offensive tackle because we can't rely on Jones.

Basically, we have 4 starting caliber tackles on this team with Willie, Levi, Stacey, and Whit.[/quote]

Agreed. We are probably going to have to trade up if we want one of those 2.

Also, I agree that we have 4 solid options at OT. If 2 of those guys get hurt or can't play, we are still fine.

I would like to see us get a guard/center type guy in the 2nd or 3rd round though so that if we do have to move Whitworth to tackle, we have a solid replacement at LG.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='646612' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:27 PM']If they draft anything but a defensive playmaker in the first round, then I'll blow a gasket, a decent OT will be available in later rounds.[/quote]

I would have to believe thats their thinking regardless of what "Chickster" thinks...

I can see Chick's reasoning, but we don't necessarily need a [i]starting[/i] OT right away. Levi's had a full offseason to heal (and I thought he was already healed, and it looked to me like he played pretty damn well for the remainder of last season after that KC debacle), so has Willie, we have Whitworth and Andrews...

Our defense (once again) is the BIGGEST problem with this team, especially along the defensive line. I will be royally pissed if we take an OT with our first pick if Ellis/Dorsey is still on the board...

[quote name='JoePong' post='646603' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:14 PM']Frist of all, I disagree that either Ellis or Dorsey "should be there" at 9. It's very possible both are gone within the first 5 picks.

Basically, we have 4 starting caliber tackles on this team with Willie, Levi, Stacey, and Whit.[/quote]

well 3 of those are actually tackles. and 1 of the 3 has been healthy, and that one is signed for this year only.

the need is potentially there. if willie can stay healthy and we can lock in andrews (either or would work too) then the need drops, but you never know how that would fall.

then again chick doesnt have much to say that makes sense outside his chickster world. which im sure is just as creepy as he is.

Is Levi Jones such a household name to NFL fans that his election as Pro Bowl alternate in 2007 was a fluke? I doubt it.

Did Levi Jones get screwed out of a pro bowl birth in 2005? I think so.

Does Whitworth at tackle risk the life of Carson Palmer? No, he's played very well a tackle.

Isn't one of the reasons why it made sense to franchise Stacy Andrews is to keep his potential on the roster? Yes.

Hasn't Andrews played well in his starts? Yes.

Willie Anderson played at a pro bowl level in 2006, and did play late last season.

I could see Offensive Tackle at 9 due to the talent and the old "Best Player Available", but to call it a "MUST" is stupid.

[quote name='scharm' post='646634' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:20 PM']Is Levi Jones such a household name to NFL fans that his election as Pro Bowl alternate in 2007 was a fluke? I doubt it.

Did Levi Jones get screwed out of a pro bowl birth in 2005? I think so.

Does Whitworth at tackle risk the life of Carson Palmer? No, he's played very well a tackle.

Isn't one of the reasons why it made sense to franchise Stacy Andrews is to keep his potential on the roster? Yes.

Hasn't Andrews played well in his starts? Yes.

Willie Anderson played at a pro bowl level in 2006, and did play late last season.

I could see Offensive Tackle at 9 due to the talent and the old "Best Player Available", but to call it a "MUST" is stupid.[/quote]

willie didnt play pro bowl level in 2006, he may have went, but he didnt play like he should have... ala ogden 2007.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='646631' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:17 PM']well 3 of those are actually tackles. and 1 of the 3 has been healthy, and that one is signed for this year only.

the need is potentially there. if willie can stay healthy and we can lock in andrews (either or would work too) then the need drops, but you never know how that would fall.

then again chick doesnt have much to say that makes sense outside his chickster world. which im sure is just as creepy as he is.[/quote]

No. There are 4 solid options at tackle.

Jones played well enough to be elected as pro bowl alternate. Jones found himself on the bench mostly because he placed himself in the doghouse by throwing the medical staff under the bus. He was healthy enough to be playing with backups during the preseason.

Willie Anderson got on the field late last season after a pro bowl 2006.

Whitworth is a tackle playing guard and does a solid job no matter where he's at. Heck he's probalbly the next realistic canidate for pro bowl behind Levi.

I guess we could still say Carson is hobbling around on a knee and maybe QB is a "MUST" There's nothing "MUST" about drafting a tackle. If they do, it's because the prospect is too good to pass up.

[quote name='scharm' post='646641' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:27 PM']No. There are 4 solid options at tackle.

Jones played well enough to be elected as pro bowl alternate. Jones found himself on the bench mostly because he placed himself in the doghouse by throwing the medical staff under the bus. He was healthy enough to be playing with backups during the preseason.

Willie Anderson got on the field late last season after a pro bowl 2006.

Whitworth is a tackle playing guard and does a solid job no matter where he's at. Heck he's probalbly the next realistic canidate for pro bowl behind Levi.

I guess we could still say Carson is hobbling around on a knee and maybe QB is a "MUST" There's nothing "MUST" about drafting a tackle. If they do, it's because the prospect is too good to pass up.[/quote]

its strange that you feel so strongly about this. ill just copy and paste my response since you didnt actually address anything i said...

[code]well 3 of those are actually tackles. and 1 of the 3 has been healthy, and that one is signed for this year only.

then again chick doesnt have much to say that makes sense outside his chickster world. which im sure is just as creepy as he is.[/code]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='646635' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:22 PM']willie didnt play pro bowl level in 2006, he may have went, but he didnt play like he should have... ala ogden 2007.[/quote]

Yeah he did. You think any bengal is going to the pro bowl based on the "fan vote" during an 8-8 seaon? That's laughable.

Hell they drop to 7-9 and Chad Johnson has to wait for someone to drop out to make a trip. Yet, Willie rode his name to the pro bowl in 2006.

Funny stuff.

There isn't an offensive tackle other than Jake Long in this draft worthy of a pick at 9 and he's no Joe Thomas. I understand Chick's point of view but there are other needs that need to be filled first. This is supposed to be an OL rich draft.We can get one in the draft a little bit later.

[quote name='Bengals 4 Life' post='646637' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:23 PM']Bengals were #2 in league in sacks allowed last year and they need a tackle?!?!

[b]Stacey will sign on long term if he gets a chance to start[/b] is my theory.....perhaps I"m naive.[/quote]
I agree with that and have felt that way all along. I say if Willie / Levi break down this year in midseason (which Chick thinks is just a given) then you hand the starting job to Stacy and move along. If he's given that starting job fulltime I think he'd gladly sign a long-term contract... then you make a decision on Willie / Levi and their status with contracts, etc. I don't know what cap hits would be etc., at the end of next season but you would make decision with their futures based on that.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='646635' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:22 PM']willie didnt play pro bowl level in 2006, he may have went, but he didnt play like he should have... ala ogden 2007.[/quote]

You're nuts. He played great. He completely shut out the best two pass rushing LDEs in the league that year (Peppers, Burgess). What did you see that makes you think he didn't deserve the Pro Bowl that year?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='646635' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:22 PM']willie didnt play pro bowl level in 2006, he may have went, but he didnt play like he should have... ala ogden 2007.[/quote]

He was also named to the All Pro team as well in 2006.

Archived