Willie Anderson to retire

Random thoughts...

I had almost assumed this might happen to some extent. Franchising Stacey seemed like one helluva insurance policy With Anderson on the team, and Levi back to health, as reported. So I can't say I'm shocked. But...

Could this also be another smokescreen? Something that makes it look like we might snag an o-lineman that someone else was hoping would drop? Force someone to jump ahead of us to take another offensive player off the board early, increasing Ellis' chances of falling into our laps? :hmm:

Or maybe just providing incentive for one of those teams to swap 1st rounders with us, allowing us to pick up more picks, should Ellis be gone @ 9...

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='657300' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:26 PM']lighten up francis. It's april. The season isn't over yet.[/quote]

Maybe this is why Chad wants out so bad that he's willing to pay money back to the team to get out.

[quote name='Jeb' post='657303' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:28 PM']Maybe this is why Chad wants out so bad that he's willing to pay money back to the team to get out.[/quote]

Where has it been said Chad will pay money back? Must have missed it..........

[quote name='Phatcat' post='657305' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:34 PM']Where has it been said Chad will pay money back? Must have missed it..........[/quote]

[quote]The Bengals didn't appear to be investigating any trades for Johnson Friday afternoon. On Tuesday they said they turned down a first-rounder this year and a third-rounder that could have turned into a first next from the Redskins. [b]A source outside the Bengals says Johnson has offered to pay back some money in exchange for a trade[/b], but since that doesn't affect his $8 million salary cap hit this year and since the Bengals seem committed to the principle that he's still got four years left on a mutual agreement, the offer doesn't appear to have helped initiate more trade talks.

BOOMER's IDEA: Via ProFootballTalk.com, former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason suggested on his radio show Friday morning that Johnson give back at least some of the $16 million Johnson has collected over the last two years.

Esiason knows all about getting traded from the Bengals. Later Friday, Esiason recalled how he spurred his 1993 trade back home to the Jets that were coached by mentor Bruce Coslet.

Esiason says he privately asked Brown for a trade soon after the departure of head coach Sam Wyche following the 1991 season. He says it's why the Bengals drafted David Klingler in the first round in 1992 and made him the starter later that season.

"I went to Mike directly. I didn't make any public statements," Esiason said. "Mike did great by me. Twice he ripped up my contract in the middle of them. He had no problem paying me what other (top) starting quarterbacks were making. After I signed it, other guys leapfrogged ahead of me, but that's just the way the league is."

Esiason is one of the legions perplexed by Johnson's offensive. Asked if the Bengals should trade him, Esiason said, "If you get a trade that blows you away. Two first-rounders or something like that, (but not what Washington offered)."

The Bengals don't view a first-round receiver as equal value to a five-time Pro Bowler since some in the organization feel the failure rate at that position in that round is 40 percent.[/quote]
[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6745"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6745[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='657310' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:40 PM']that's not exactly proof.[/quote]

And incorrect. If Chad pays back his prorated signing bonus then the Bengals DO get relief to the cap. Not this year, but it gets added to next year. No problem. Restructure Carson's contract to put less base salary this year and more next = problem solved.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='657311' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:46 PM']And incorrect. If Chad pays back his prorated signing bonus then the Bengals DO get relief to the cap. Not this year, but it gets added to next year. No problem. Restructure Carson's contract to put less base salary this year and more next = problem solved.[/quote]

another solution: draft replacements for JT and Rudi and cut their salaries.

[quote name='The Scales' post='657322' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:59 PM']would not be suprised

:albert:

^_^[/quote]

We need somebody that can come in and take over that spot right away and is preferably smart like Whitworth and won't telegraph.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='657333' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:14 PM']Jeb...do you actually watch the games? Seriously man. Relax.[/quote]

We did most of our running off the left side when Stacey is in at ORT so our opponents started loading up the left side.

Stacey cheats his foot out on passing plays.

Yep, ...I watch.

[quote name='Jeb' post='657337' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:18 PM']We did most of our running off the left side when Stacey is in at ORT so our opponents started loading up the left side.

Yep, ...I watch.[/quote]

wow, what games did he start at RT... I wanna go back and watch...

[quote name='Jeb' post='657337' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:18 PM']We did most of our running off the left side when Stacey is in at ORT so our opponents started loading up the left side.

Yep, ...I watch.[/quote]

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the do you watch remark. No explanation necessary. Just am.

Anyway let me pose a question to you: Do you believe in the current coaching staff?

Archived