[quote]Crowded field
By GEOFF HOBSON
May 17, 2008

Posted: 10 a.m.

When the Bengals return to Paul Brown Stadium next week for another round of voluntaries, you'll not only need a scorecard to tell the wide receivers, but also an orientation.

All six rookie receivers are expected Tuesday, the first day rookies can participate with the veterans after each have had camps of their own. But vets Antonio Chatman and Glenn Holt are expected to lead the reps if the Pro Bowl tandem of Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh isn't in town.

After having just four veterans at his disposal last week, wide receivers coach Mike Sheppard is glad for the company.

"They got plenty of work against our top-line guys, but now the competition is going to start sorting itself out," he said.

With Sheppard's help, here is a look at the receiver crew, keeping in mind that only four of the 10 receivers expected on the field Tuesday are going to make the roster after Johnson and Houshmandzadeh:

[b]MOST INTRIGUING[/b]

Antonio Chatman, 5-8, 182, sixth season, 22 catches from Carson Palmer, 93 NFL catches; Marcus Maxwell, 6-4, 205, third season; one NFL reception and one catch from Palmer.

Sheppard is convinced that Chatman wasn't fully healthy last year, which means the Bengals have no idea what he can give them or if he's close to the guy that caught 49 balls from Brett Favre in Green Bay in 2005 because he wasn't healthy in his first year here, either, in '06.

Chatman seems to be over his hamstring and abductor muscle problems, enough that Sheppard believes he still has the quickness that can make him a matchup problem in the slot.

Chatman stands out because he doesn't stand out like the prototypical tall, physical Bengals receiver.

"He's the anti of that, but that means he's got a lot more quickness," Sheppard says. "And I'm not saying the first two guys aren't quick. I mean, our first two guys are special in Chad and T.J. No one you have ever seen is as quick as Chad and look what T.J. has done. Antonio can cause matchup problems in man-to-man because he can run away from you.

"Oh yeah, he's still quick. Great feet."

Although the slot is Chatman's best position, Sheppard thinks he can play the outside and he'll line up there in the Z (strong-side position) if Houshmandzadeh isn't here with Glenn Holt opposite him on the weak side at X if Johnson isn't here.

Maxwell, who is battling with Holt on that side, continues to grow on people even though he's not a burner.

"Just when you think he's not fast enough, he runs by you," Sheppard says. "He's a physical player, he's got some nastiness to him and he's enough of an athlete to be a little bit sneaky."

[b]SOME SEASONING[/b]

Glenn Holt 6-1, 193, third season; 17 NFL/Palmer catches; Doug Gabriel 6-2, 215, fifth season; 101 NFL catches, 0 from Palmer.

Both guys have returned NFL kicks, but Holt has the advantage because he can play outside and the slot in this system. Gabriel, who has played all three spots, has to learn them here after being out of the NFL for a season. He'll probably line up at Z with/behind Chatman.

[b]PICK TWO[/b]

Jerome Simpson, 6-2, 200, second round out of Coastal Carolina; Andre Caldwell, 6-0, 204, third round out of Florida.

Cincinnati's first receivers drafted in back-to-back rounds since David Verser and Cris Collinsworth in 1981 have the Bengals excited but the historical note serves a cautionary tale when it comes to rookie receivers.

Just three rookie wide receivers in club history have caught at least 50 passes. When Chris Henry caught six touchdown passes in 2005, it was the most by a rookie wideout since Eddie Brown caught eight 20 years before.

Sheppard calls Caldwell "more cable ready" at this point and he'll start working him inside next week, along with lining him up outside at Z. For now, Sheppard is content to keep Simpson at X and letting him develop in one spot. But with the release of Henry , Sheppard sees Simpson's athleticism playing a vital role.

"With those big hands and his leaping, we feel Jerome has the ability to make those plays that were missing without Chris here," Sheppard says. "He probably has the best chance to evolve into that role on his way to becoming a good player in the league. He comes from a small program and there is going to be some time to adjust, but I thought in the rookie camp he really showed what he's got. There were a couple of times he came real close to making the kind of play where you said, "Oh, that's different.' "

Taken with the 97th pick, Caldwell was one of the last receivers selected that has the blend of size and speed that translate to NFL success. Despite the injury history that probably kept him on the board, Sheppard finds Caldwell tough while presenting a nice target. Plus, his 4.3 speed should be toxic in the hands of Palmer.

[b]SEVENTH-ROUND LIGHTNING?[/b]

Mario Urrutia, 6-5, 232, seventh round out of Louisville.

The question may not be if he makes the practice squad, but if he ends up there as a tight end. Sheppard knows Urrutia's size is working against him because very few guys this big make it at NFL wideout.

"When you watched him as a sophomore, you thought he was going to be a (top) guy," Sheppard said. "We're interested in seeing him return to that form as opposed to his junior year (in '07). Many times when there is a coaching change there is an adjustment and I think he was used little bit differently by the new staff."

Under Bobby Petrino in '06, Urrutia nearly had 1,000 yards on 58 catches. After the coaching change and a turf toe problem cost him two games last season, he dipped to just 35 catches. It's going to come down to one thing with his size, long arms, and strength.

"It's a speed and quickness game now," Sheppard says. "The question is going to be if he can do that every time."

[b]
UNDER SCRUTINY[/b]

Maurice Purify, 6-3, 224, free agent rookie out of Nebraska signed after a tryout.

Sheppard has pulled no punches with Purify or the other receivers. He says one of the major points he has written on his board is "No Problems," a not so veiled reference to the character issue, and he's made the point that Purify very well could have been more than a late round pick/free agent if not for an assault and DUI charge in two separate incidents in May and June of 2007.

That said, Sheppard has spent a lot of time with Purify and talking to people in his past. He has phoned what he calls two "foundations" of his youth in Eureka, Calif., his head coach and a school administrator, and talked to head coach Marvin Lewis after Lewis spent a lot of time in conference with him at the rookie camp.

"It wasn't 10 bad decisions. It was a couple of bad decisions," Sheppard said. "He impressed us when he was here in presenting himself and our organization thought there was value in giving him a chance to try it and see how it pans out."

There's no question about Purify's talent. It was clear during the rookie camp, where he was one of the best players on the field. Sheppard says he has "some little guy skills" with his quickness and burst, and his physical play, red-zone success, and hands make his speed even more dangerous. In his last two seasons he averaged 18.5 and then 14.2 yards per catch.

[b]LATE ADDITIONS[/b]

Clyde Logan, 6-3, 202, free agent rookie out of Idaho State signed after a tryout; Travis Brown, 6-3, 202, rookie free agent out of New Mexico picked up on waivers from Seattle.

Two guys from stops on Lewis' climb up the coaching ladder. At 26, Logan gets his shot after quite a climb himself with four years in the Marines and a junior college stint. He caught everything in his tryout during rookie camp.

Brown caught more than 140 balls for the Lobos in his last two seasons and never missed a game in four years because of injury. He likes to block and can do some damage after the catch with a 13.5-yard average in '06 and '07. One knock is that he fumbled three times in a bowl game his junior year. But Sheppard, a former head coach at New Mexico, says the Bengals talked about drafting Brown as early as the sixth round before Seattle picked him.

[b]A PROJECTION[/b]

Eight players for two spots, right? After Johnson, Houshmandzadeh, Simpson and Caldwell, who makes it?

Chatman, the only punt returner to speak of, has to be favored to be the fifth guy and the last receiver active on game days. Holt would seem to be the leading candidate to be the sixth and last wideout. With Caldwell able to return kicks, would that make Holt inactive on Gameday?

Or would the Bengals give that spot to a younger guy with more upside? But wouldn't it be hard to discard Holt's knowledge of all three spots and his kick return ability? Would they make Simpson inactive for the first couple of games as he transitions?

A lot of time (nine more voluntary sessions, a mandatory minicamp, about 30 training camp practices and four preseason games) before Cutdown Day.[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='666332' date='May 17 2008, 08:02 PM']agree on the top 5. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Holt get beat out though.[/quote]
I think his special teams ability and experience give him the edge.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='666333' date='May 17 2008, 06:06 PM']I think his special teams ability and experience give him the edge.[/quote]

I would agree on the top 6, assuming no injuries. Holt is growing on me as a player... he's certainly a good ST'er, and he impressed me with his toughness at WR in 2007.

The other guy who might surprise is Maxwell... but I don't see Gabriel making it. If healthy, I think Chatman can really be a nice addition. Not having TJ and Chad early on helps these other guys get timing down with CP, and more reps that they wouldn't otherwise have had.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='666330' date='May 17 2008, 06:50 PM'][b]Roster[/b]
Chad
TJ
Chatman
Simpson
Caldwell
Holt

[b]Practice squad[/b]
Urritia
Purify[/quote]

[b]Roster[/b]
TJ
Simpson
Chatman
Simpson
Caldwell
Holt

[b]Practice squad[/b]
Urritia
Purify

Jerome "The Octopus" Simpson is so good he plays TWO positions simultaneously, beeatches.

[quote name='texbengal' post='666334' date='May 17 2008, 07:12 PM']I would agree on the top 6, assuming no injuries. Holt is growing on me as a player... he's certainly a good ST'er, and he impressed me with his toughness at WR in 2007.

The other guy who might surprise is Maxwell... but I don't see Gabriel making it. If healthy, I think Chatman can really be a nice addition. Not having TJ and Chad early on helps these other guys get timing down with CP, and more reps that they wouldn't otherwise have had.[/quote]
I'm actually tired of trying to count on Chatman. I wish we would cut him and elevate the younger guys one more spot. He isn't working out.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='666336' date='May 18 2008, 10:15 AM']I'm actually tired of trying to count on Chatman. I wish we would cut him and elevate the younger guys one more spot. He isn't working out.[/quote]
x2

For some reason or another, I'm really excited to see what Purify can do. With 3 WR draft picks, the CFA is generally not the guy you're looking to see make the roster, but the comments on him having little guy quickness @ 6'3" is damn intriguing, along with his college stats. And all of the comments about him seeming to make all the right impressions upon the coaching staff is comforting.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='666338' date='May 17 2008, 07:26 PM']x2

For some reason or another, I'm really excited to see what Purify can do. With 3 WR draft picks, the CFA is generally not the guy you're looking to see make the roster, but the comments on him having little guy quickness @ 6'3" is damn intriguing, along with his college stats. And all of the comments about him seeming to make all the right impressions upon the coaching staff is comforting.[/quote]
And as I mentioned in another thread (the Koren Robinson one), not only do we literally not have room for KR, why would we want him? He's proven to be a pass dropper, and we already have that in Chad, and that's even if he plays.
We have 12 WR's in camp...surely we can conjure a rotation out of them even without Mr Johnson.

Did I miss something here? If you read back to every other article Hobson writes, he writes about Chad as a non-factor who is holding out. Now why all of a sudden is he factoring him into the equation? Why are all of you factoring him into the equation? Did Chad say he's coming back? Maybe I missed something ... but as far as I am concerned, I'm counting on Antonio Chatman more than I'm counting on Chad Johnson .... enough said.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='666339' date='May 18 2008, 11:02 AM']And as I mentioned in another thread (the Koren Robinson one), not only do we literally not have room for KR, why would we want him? He's proven to be a pass dropper, and we already have that in Chad, and that's even if he plays.
We have 12 WR's in camp...[b]surely we can conjure a rotation out of them even without Mr Johnson.[/b][/quote]

Especially if we keep an extra TE, and only 6 WRs. There will surely be less experience in the group, but there appears to be no lack of talent. With Carson making the throws, I like our chances.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='666341' date='May 18 2008, 11:26 AM']I think Chad's silence since the draft is a message seen by most as equivilent to a dog putting its tail between its legs.[/quote]

agreed. If I had to wager, I'd bet he'll be at every mandatory activity and training camp on time.

Either that or he's run out of space on his DVR to record his every media appearance. :ninja:

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='666341' date='May 17 2008, 09:26 PM']I think Chad's silence since the draft is a message seen by most as equivilent to a dog putting its tail between its legs.[/quote]

Might be, but until I see him on the field being a team player, I consider him off the team.

chad
housh
simpson
caldwell
chatman
holt

and urrita on the p.s.

no way we should have purify or robinson on this team i don't care if they are as talented as another talented wideout we just released due to charecter issues...we just can't take those risks so much anymore

Chatman will stick as long as Chad is NOT around. If/when Chad shows up and is seriously playing, bye bye Chatman.

Final 6:

Chad (if he shows, if not Chatman gets this spot)
TJ
Simpson
Caldwell
Maxwell
Urrutia

The Bengals like offensive talent too much, they won't risk losing Maxwell or Urrutia on the practice squad (like they did with DeDe Dorsey and Matt Toeaina).

Caldwell will return kickoffs. One of the young DBs will return punts (Kilmer? Hebert? David Jones? Lynch? Castille?).

This is a reboot and a restocking at the WR position for Cincinnati. Along with the steadiness of TJ and the circus of Chad, the veteran presences of Chris Perry and Ben Utecht will offset the youth at WR, as Cincy's passing game becomes more balanced (ie, less WR-centric) overall.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='666352' date='May 17 2008, 09:34 PM']what IF dough gabriel impresses a lot in camp and pre-season! who goes ?[/quote]

I would guess Holt or Chatman, as Gabriel can return kicks, and I think punts as well.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Holt's survival is in part determined by what happens with Chris Perry and how he holds up. Caldwell is likely your starting KR, with Holt as the backup. However, if Perry can stay healthy and impress through camp and preseason, he may get the backup KR role.

Also, I know I've said it before, but I would like to seem them give Kilmer a look or two at PR and KR.

If Chatman gets on the field he's a lock,IMO. Carson druels over his talent. He adds the ability to work underneath from the 3d WR position. Returns Punts.

Some will point out that his returns aren't great. I won't disagree. But the bengals have shown they value a guy that can catch the ball in tough spots vs letting it hit the ground over return yards. They kept Ratliff in that spot for a long time just for that reason, Chatman provides similar ball security and more return value.

I understand the concern about Chatman's health - it's been frustrating, no doubt... just like it has been with Perry, Brooks, Fanene, Rucker, and others.

As a PR, he's got ability, and I'll echo Scharm in saying that what I also like is that he'll attack the ball instead of waiting on it (for example, on shorter punts), which helps with field position. And I like what he can do in the slot; he's really quick, and he's got good run after catch ability.

Let's hope his health issues are behind him, because this is his last chance, for sure.

[url="http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/AroundtheNFL/2008/05/saturday_premiere_roundup_catc.html"]http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/Arou...undup_catc.html[/url]

LOS ANGELES — For the second straight year, Eric Edholm and I attended the Rookie Premiere football-card photo shoot at the L.A. Coliseum. More than 30 rookies donned their jerseys and posed for the cameras.

Eric and I doned sunscreen and white polo shirts and tried to stay out of the shots.

Some news, notes and observations from the Coliseum:

[b]Chatted with the Bengals’ rookie wideouts for a piece I’m working on for PFW’s next issue. Jerome Simpson, the second-rounder from Coastal Carolina, said he’s going to work at the ‘X’ receiver spot (split end) in Cincinnati’s offense. Andre Caldwell, the swift third-round pick from Florida, is working at the ‘Z’ (flanker) and also at slot receiver. Both will get a chance to contribute immediately, considering the Bengals’ lack of depth at the position. And, quite obviously, their learning curves would be accelerated were Chad Johnson to be traded. But I would be stunned if that happened. I’ll only be surprised, frankly, if he isn’t in the Bengals’ starting lineup in Week One. The Bengals don’t want to deal him, and were he to sit out, he would be walking away from a lot of money. And that is not going to happen.[/b]

Archived