BENGALS TO DUMP ODELL

BENGALS TO DUMP ODELL FOR MISSING VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2008, 10:22 a.m. EDT
A league source tells us that the Bengals plan to release linebacker Odell Thurman on Monday.

But we’re told that the move isn’t the result of any relapse of substance abuse or renewed misconduct by the talented-but-troubled defender, who missed most of the past two NFL seasons due to a suspension. Instead, the Bengals allegedly are cutting Thurman for missing voluntary workouts last week.

Thurman participated in a rookie minicamp. After his grandmother recently died, he had to travel to Georgia for the funeral. Betty Thurman raised Odell, whose mother died in 1993 and father died five years ago. Betty Thurman was seriously ill when Odell was reinstated last month by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Bengals, per the source, told Thurman to come back to town for so-called Organized Team Activities one day after his grandmother’s funeral. When he got to Georgia, however, Thurman realized that he couldn’t leave so quickly.

Advised that he couldn’t make it back, the Bengals said that he either had to return for the OTAs, or he’d be released. We’re told that his locker was cleaned out on Tuesday, May 13.

Calls to two members of the Bengals’ P.R. department were not answered, and messages left have not yet been returned. (In fairness, however, it’s been only 20 minutes or so since I called them.)

If the contention regarding the reason for the release is accurate, the move would be a clear violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, since the workouts were voluntary in nature. Over the past several years, a chronic failure by the NFL Players Association to enforce this rule has contributed to an atmosphere in which teams often think that they can treat attendance at the voluntary drills as mandatory — and thus they often do.

It’s presently unknown whether Thurman will file a grievance due to the decision to cut him. His better move might be to try to latch on with another team, and continue his attempt to fulfill the promise that he showed as a rookie in 2005.

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/19/bengals-to-dump-odell-for-missing-voluntary-workouts/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/19/...ntary-workouts/[/url]

[quote name='Dautcom08' post='666532' date='May 19 2008, 09:32 AM']BENGALS TO DUMP ODELL FOR MISSING VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2008, 10:22 a.m. EDT
A league source tells us that the Bengals plan to release linebacker Odell Thurman on Monday.

But we’re told that the move isn’t the result of any relapse of substance abuse or renewed misconduct by the talented-but-troubled defender, who missed most of the past two NFL seasons due to a suspension. Instead, the Bengals allegedly are cutting Thurman for missing voluntary workouts last week.

Thurman participated in a rookie minicamp. After his grandmother recently died, he had to travel to Georgia for the funeral. Betty Thurman raised Odell, whose mother died in 1993 and father died five years ago. Betty Thurman was seriously ill when Odell was reinstated last month by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Bengals, per the source, told Thurman to come back to town for so-called Organized Team Activities one day after his grandmother’s funeral. When he got to Georgia, however, Thurman realized that he couldn’t leave so quickly.

Advised that he couldn’t make it back, the Bengals said that he either had to return for the OTAs, or he’d be released. We’re told that his locker was cleaned out on Tuesday, May 13.

Calls to two members of the Bengals’ P.R. department were not answered, and messages left have not yet been returned. (In fairness, however, it’s been only 20 minutes or so since I called them.)

If the contention regarding the reason for the release is accurate, the move would be a clear violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, since the workouts were voluntary in nature. Over the past several years, a chronic failure by the NFL Players Association to enforce this rule has contributed to an atmosphere in which teams often think that they can treat attendance at the voluntary drills as mandatory — and thus they often do.

It’s presently unknown whether Thurman will file a grievance due to the decision to cut him. His better move might be to try to latch on with another team, and continue his attempt to fulfill the promise that he showed as a rookie in 2005.

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/19/bengals-to-dump-odell-for-missing-voluntary-workouts/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/19/...ntary-workouts/[/url][/quote]

I call BS!!!

No way they dump him for not showing up after his grandmother died!!!

I just read this too, it seems like BS to me.

As if the team would keep Odell for 2 years fighting substance abuse, etc., then cut him because he can't make voluntaries due to his close grandmother's death.

One of 2 possibilities is true:

1. The Bengals are cold hearted SOBs who make strange decisions. This would be out of character for MB as he usually is guilty of being too loyal.

2. This Florio character is a fool who has poor sources and is easily duped. A mainstream media guy with the credibility of a newbie blogger.

I'm hoping it's scenario 2.

This sentence has just been added to the "article"...

"Bengals Public Relations Director Jack Brennan told us by phone that he’s not aware of any coming roster moves regarding Odell Thurman."

PFT called a stealers source and they reported it.

This is total BS, especially since the team moved Brooks to seemingly make room for Thurman in the middle.

Not to mention that for all his faults, Mike Brown wouldn't pull a dick move like that to cut someone who's struggling with the death of someone who raised him.

I will say this. I have had a sneaking suspicion/feeling that the Bengals might part ways with Odell. So if he is cut, I won't be completely shocked, but I think this would be an "excuse" rather than a reason.

I hope it doesn't happen though.

[quote name='Jason' post='666541' date='May 19 2008, 09:40 AM']I will say this. I have had a sneaking suspicion/feeling that the Bengals might part ways with Odell. So if he is cut, I won't be completely shocked, but I think this would be an "excuse" rather than a reason.

I hope it doesn't happen though.[/quote]

It would make our team look like the most cold-hearted team in the history of the NFL, ...I don't buy it! No way this team is that stupid!

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='666539' date='May 19 2008, 09:40 AM']No way this is true.

Not a chance.

Total B.S.

This isn't Mike Brown's M.O.

I don't believe it for a second.

Funny how the thread title is in all caps too.

"OH NOES!!111"[/quote]

I think it's a load of crap too...

and OH NOES!!111. I just copied/pasted the title of the article from the site which was in all caps for convenience.

I doubt it's even possible. I'm sure the NFL, as with any company, has a certain amount of time given to it's employees if there is a death in the family. I call total bullshit on this one.
MULLY

[quote name='bengalmonsta' post='666546' date='May 19 2008, 09:45 AM']confirmed by odells agent via espn[/quote]

did the agent say anything else?

I wonder if Odell asked to be released because he doesn't want to come back to football, at least not yet? It just doesn't seem like the teams MO to make a move like this, nor do they have any reason to.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='666557' date='May 19 2008, 09:50 AM']please tell me your not serious![/quote]

why not? He's been out of the game for 2 yrs, he's a recovering alcoholic, and one of the most important people in his life just died. It wouldn't be out of the question for Odell to not have a heart for football anymore.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='666554' date='May 19 2008, 09:48 AM']he can file with the CBA cause that is against the rules to cut him for not being here for the OTA's. why don't they do that for chad or TJ ? :angry:[/quote]

Why bother? He'll just get a job with someone else and he won't last on the market long. He'll probably get a better contract out of this mess.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='666555' date='May 19 2008, 10:48 AM']did the agent say anything else?

I wonder if Odell asked to be released because he doesn't want to come back to football, at least not yet? It just doesn't seem like the teams MO to make a move like this, nor do they have any reason to.[/quote]

nothing else they had a reporter who talked to his agent and comfirmed it :o :o

I don't get it - I can't imagine that this decision rests solely on his missing one or two days of practice last week.

There must be more going on than that.

Curnutte's take.

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2008/05/bengals-release-thurman.asp#comments"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/benga...an.asp#comments[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='666560' date='May 19 2008, 10:51 AM']why not? He's been out of the game for 2 yrs, he's a recovering alcoholic, and one of the most important people in his life just died. It wouldn't be out of the question for Odell to not have a heart for football anymore.[/quote]

After roofing that 100th house in August, he may feel differently. -_-

I still don't buy it.

Seems like he really was released though.

We probably will never get the full story.

Bummer.

Archived