I don't usually post about other team's castoffs, because they're typically over the hill stiffs or "never wases" who can't help. But I'm a big Terry Glenn fan.

Living in Dallas, I saw an awful lot of him, and he's got tremendous talent... and even though he's well over 30 (34) now, he can still fly. Last year, he had a bad knee injury, and he fought hard to make it back to play at the end of the season. I don't know if he's all the way back yet, and the Cowboys cut him because (at least reportedly) he wouldn't sign an injury waiver. I read in another article that he said he would, but they still cut him. Anyway, I think he was scheduled to make 1.75M this year in base salary.

He was a starter the whole time he was in Dallas, but they wouldn't need him to start in Cincinnati. But for a 3rd WR, assuming the knee checks out, he'd be great. He is a very good route runner, very fast, reportedly good locker room guy, and he just makes plays. Given what the Bengals have as WR depth, I'd jump on that, especially since I sure don't see some of the training camp fodder having any chance. Thoughts?

there really isnt much of a spot for him without cutting someone we plan to keep for the future

TJ
CHAD
SIMPSON
HOLT
CALDWELL
maxwell
etc..

also must be a solid reason the cowboys cut him, they would gladly stockpile talent. so it must be injury related... if we lose a guy in camp, i might jump at this.. but we have 2 pro bowl starters and 2 top round picks behind them...

[quote name='Jason' post='681613' date='Jul 26 2008, 11:10 PM'][b]If he can pass a physical[/b] he would be the best option as a #3 WR right now.[/quote]
Agreed. But how do you make room for him?

I'm all for cutting Chatman either way, but even with that done, there's not exactly a lot of room at the position, with 3 drafted WRs and Purify, who by all accounts *might* be the closest of the rookies to being ready to step on the field.

I'd love to see Glenn in stripes. But I'm not sure he fits here. Unless we can unload 85 to make room for him.

(and why not, since many seem to think Chad will be traded after this season anyway... unload 85, pickup Glenn, and see little or no drop off with Carson throwing the ball...)

don't really see the need. Even if he would be the best option for #3 this year, you're not going to get much more than a year out of him, which means you're going to have to cut some young player who can help you down the line to make room for him now. If he had #1 talent still, then its a different story, but I don't think we need to be signing 34yr 3rd options to 1yr deals.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='681840' date='Jul 27 2008, 08:37 PM']don't really see the need. Even if he would be the best option for #3 this year, you're not going to get much more than a year out of him, which means you're going to have to cut some young player who can help you down the line to make room for him now. If he had #1 talent still, then its a different story, but I don't think we need to be signing 34yr 2rd options to 1yr deals.[/quote]

yea, and whomever is removed would be a specials teams guy... simmons wouldnt be too pleased losing another guy...

Archived