Camp Notes and observations 7-30-08- Picking off cheers - Bengals.com

[quote][size=5][b]Wednesday update [/b][/size]
BY GEOFF HOBSON
July 30, 2008

The Bengals hit the field Wednesday morning for the first of two sessions under partly cloudy and cool conditions.

Wide receiver Chad Johnson and running back DeDe Dorsey as well as defensive end Antwan Odom are still sidelined. Safety Dexter Jackson returned Wednesday after not practicing Tuesday. Running back Chris Perry, riding a stationary bike on the side, is taking this practice off but he will most likely practice during the evening session.

Another example of the defense trying to assert itself early in camp: During the morning session in shorts, safety Chinedum Ndukwe knocked down running back James Johnson after he caught a pass. A couple of plays later, rookie cornerback Simeon Castille made the defensive sideline erupt when he made a leaping interception.

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh did not practice presumably to get a rest. Like Perry, it is expected he will suit up for the evening session.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6908"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6908[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Perry, Anderson get rest[/b][/size]
Posted by MarkCurnutte at 7/30/2008 9:45 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- The Bengals are on the field this morning for their first of two practices today.

As anticipated, tailback Chris Perry -- coming back from serious ankle and shin injuries that prevented him from playing in 2007, is getting the morning off. It is scheduled rest. He rode an exercise bike on the sideline during the early part of practice.

Right tackle Willie Anderson was in his practice jersey but was not participating. He also appeared to be getting the morning off.

Early in practice, a jam drill consisting of receivers and defensive backs received a great deal of coaches' attention. Defensive coaches want their players to guide receivers out of bounds or pin them against the sideline after slowing their ability to get into their route. Offenses coaches stressed that receivers get their shoulders low and reduce the target for defenders.

Wide receiver Antonio Chatman had his right thigh wrapped with tape by an athletic trainer shortly after the start of practice but returned to participate. Fellow wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh was not on the field but was inside completing the standard, mandatory drug test. He returned to the upper practice field around 10 a.m. in street clothes. Chad Johnson rode a bicycle from the dorms to the locker room, changed clothes and went onto the main stadium field to rehab solo under the eye of a strength and conditioning coach. Johnson ran sprints and ran lightly.

During 11-on-11 team drill, safety Chinedum Ndukwe knocked down tailback James Johnson. Offensive lineman Scott Kooistra, following the play, warned Ndukwe. "Watch it, Chinedum."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3ace48a77b-d47e-4c6c-bb96-236ca3b62e70&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Camp insider: Up-close & personal[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 12:48 PM

[b]RAIN, SMOOTHIES & COLD TUBS;

A ROOKIE COPES WITH PRESSURE;

CHICKSTER’S LITTLE BIT OF SOUL [/b]

===”Yours is the only blog I’ve got bookmarked. When I go to DaytonDailyNews.com and read ‘The Chickster’s’ prose, I dim the lights, pour myself some chardonnay and cuddle up by the fire.” — Tim Carley, public relations liaison, PlayersRep Sports Management===

I’m standing underneath the stadium grandstands at Georgetown (Ky.) College on Wednesday morning — wet but not soaked — and this is what I’m doing after the first of two Bengals’ workouts:

I’m interviewing outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks; I’m watching one of the national writers give some man-love to quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese; and I’m seeing players get handed “Smoothies” by the training staff on their way to the locker room.

There were two kinds of “all natural, no preservatives” Smoothies available — strawberry-banana and strawberry-mango. The strawberry-banana went “like hotcakes,” one of the trainers told me, leaving only the strawberry-mango.

Bengals VP Troy Blackburn sprint-walks by and I ask him if we can expect “white smoke” today with a Keith Rivers signing, and he shakes his head (NO!).

Moving on underneath the grandstands, as I’m dodging the drip-drip-drip of the raindrops, I snag linebacker Jim Maxwell and quarterback Jordan Palmer for quick interviews, and then I stumble on four players in cold tubs.

Rookie offensive tackle Anthony Collins (Kansas), rookie guard Justin Britt (Alabama), defensive end Eric Henderson (Georgia Tech) and linebacker Rashad Jeanty (Central Florida).

Cold tubs cool the body down after a hot, sweaty practice, and helps players recover quicker from the aches & pains, and the bumps and bruises, caused by football.

I’ve never interviewed a cat in a cold tub before. But I leaned over the edge and stuck my tape recorder near Britt, who said he’s coping well with the mental and physical strain of his first training camp.

“It’s hard,” Britt said. “That’s why I’m blessed with having a brother in the NFL (Wesley Britt is a four-year offensive tackle for the New England Patriots; a fifth-round pick (No. 167 overall) in 2005).

“I call him just about every other night. He gives me the right tips. He helps me out a lot.”

As I prepare to exit from underneath the grandstands, a double-row gauntlet of media studs line the pavement, safely out of the rain.

“You know what this reminds me of?” I ask ‘em.

No, what?” they say.

“SOUL TRAIN.”

I do an extremely weak dance featuring arm & hand movement, body gyration and hip rotation — I pinch my nose like I’m doing “The Swim” — and somebody calls me a name.

“CHICK CORNELIUS,” a reference to Don Cornelius, the host of “Soul Train” from 1971-96.

I take it as a compliment.

As Mr. Cornelius always said in parting, “We wish you love, peace and soul!”

Same thing I wish to all loyal LUDWIG AT LARGE readers.

[b]HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE MORNING WORKOUT[/b]

—-T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Chris Perry and Willie Anderson chilled. Just call it “preventative maintenance.”

—-During a blitz period, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer hurled his visor to the floor, angry that his secondary was pillow-soft in coverage.

—-Veteran tailback Rudi Johnson got stripped by safety Chinedum Ndukwe, causing running backs coach Jim Anderson’s temper to erupt.

—-Non-drafted tailback James Johnson (Kansas State) continued to show why HE WILL MAKE THIS TEAM. He’s fast, quick, tough, has good hands as a receiver out of the backfield, and is blessed with good vision.

—-SIRIUS NFL radio studs Jim Miller and Solomon Wilcots were on the sidelines, watching before they took to the airwaves. For a quarterback who has endured 14 surgeries, Miller gets around pretty good.

Here’s wishing you love, peace and soul, my brothers & sisters.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...on/chickludwig/[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]JungleInsider.com Blog [/b][/size]
By Kevin Goheen
JungleInsider.com Editor

Welcome to the JungleInsider.com blog. Here you will find news, notes and tidbits of different sorts on the Bengals. Commence reading.

[b]Wednesday 7/30/08, 12:53 p.m.[/b]

The rains hit Georgetown again this morning but not until after practice. That was bad news for autograph seekers but the Bengals got all of their work in.

*The defense implemented new blitz packages and coverage schemes, the execution of which left a lot to be desired in the eyes of coordinator Mike Zimmer.

“We weren’t intense enough in the way we were covering in the other practices,” said Zimmer, who at one point pulled his hat off his head and threw it to accentuate the point he wanted to make to CB David Jones. “Guys were catching the football on us without being contested and that’s not my deal.”

*WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, RB Chris Perry and OT Willie Anderson were given the morning off as far as working on the field went. These were planned rest days for the players and not an indication of any health troubles.

“I don’t think there is one player who isn’t feeling good about it,” said Houshmandzadeh, who is entering his eighth season. “Everybody is getting reps. I guess with the roster limits at 80 that benefits everybody.”

Marvin Lewis told players this would be the way training camp was going to be run this year but plans have a way of changing. So far, so good from the players’ point of view.

“Yeah, I’m shocked,” said Houshmandzadeh. “And that’s good. I can’t complain.”

*Without Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson practicing with the first team that left Antonio Chatman as the most experienced member of the receiving corps. It showed, according to former Chicago QB Jim Miller. Miller is in town along with former Bengals S Solomon Wilcots as part of the Sirius NFL Radio training camp tour.

Miller noted how Chatman was the lone receiver who was able to handle the new blitzes the defense was throwing at them. That’s what happens when you have a number of rookie draft picks and free agents running at practice.

*Special teams got a heavy dose of the morning workout. Chatman and Deltha O’Neal are the leading candidates to win the PR duties, an area the Bengals have sorely lacked in the last three seasons. Whoever gets the job will need two things to improve upon the team’s 5.8-yard per return average: better blocking in front of them and better opportunities in terms of where they field punts. Out of 180 punts the Bengals have forced opponents into the last three seasons 60 of them have been inside the 20-yard line and another 16 have gone into the end zone for touchbacks.[/quote]

[url="http://cin.scout.com/2/771336.html"]http://cin.scout.com/2/771336.html[/url]

C Trents blog postings for today (so far) . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Back at it: 7.30 [/b][/size]
Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 09:14 AM EST [Bengals]

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Morning practice is underway.

Just checking in. All looks fine so far.

The way it works on days there are two practices, the first practice is on the outside fields and the kickers workout on the stadium field. That means I'm going to be going back and forth, but I can't do as many live updates as I do when they're workign otu in the stadium.

The kickers are doing agility drills and it looks like Jeremi Johnson is joining them as well.

* Out of practice are Willie Anderson, Chris Perry and T.J. Houshmandzadeh -- but it doesn't look like anything serious, probably just routine caution with each. Houshmandzadeh had earlier undergone his routine, mandatory drug test.

* CFA Simeon Castille ends the early full-team work with an interception.

* Rudi Johnson continues to impress.

* A drop by Glen Holt and a slip and fall from Jerome Simpson get groans from the crowd.

* A long run by CFA James Johnson draws some ohs and ahs.

* Chad Johnson is in the main stadium, running a bit. He looks fine straight ahead, but looks to be struggling when he's asked to cut.

Yes, he's the speck seen below.[/quote]

2 videos are posted in the link below. . .

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07/30/back_at_it_730"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07/30/back_at_it_730[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Post Practice 1 -- 7.30 [/b][/size]
Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:38 AM EST [Bengals]

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Once again, rain came down right at the end of the morning practice today.

The Bengals go again tonight at 7 p.m.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh was held out with "soreness in his legs," offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said. Bratkowski said T.J. is "50-50" to practice tonight. Chris Perry and Willie Anderson had schedule rest days, missing the practice.

Rudi Johnson's been a focal point and I'll be writing about him and have a story on him up here in a bit.

Here's some video first:

Also talked to Ahmad Brooks and will ahve his comments here in a bit.

Kevin Coyle got up in Marvin White's face after a nice catch by Mario Urrutia.[/quote]

1 video is posted in the link below . . .

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07/30/post_practice_1__730"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07...practice_1__730[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals video: Mike Zimmer [/b][/size]
Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 05:26 PM EST [General]

New defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was asked about his spirited involvement in the Oklahoma drill during Tuesday's practice.

[b]Video removed per NFL rules[/b]

This is what Zimmer said in the video:

"What I was trying to do, I’m trying to build some esprit de corps with the defense, some camaraderie, some togetherness, if I have to do it, that’s what I’ll do it. I’ll do whatever, if I have to be the leader, I’ll be the leader. If one of these guys wants to step up, take charge and be the leader, then they will. I want them to understand the emotion we want to play with and the tempo we play with and the expectations we play with."[/quote]

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07/29/bengals_video_mike_zimmer"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07...deo_mike_zimmer[/url]

[size=5][b]Morning photos 7.30[/b][/size]

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07/30/morning_photos_730"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07...ning_photos_730[/url]

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='682753' date='Jul 30 2008, 12:44 PM']1.) Chick is creepy, that cannot be said enough.

2.) The only way James Johnson makes the team is on the practice squad. He's not going to supplant Watson, Perry or [b]Dorsey[/b].[/quote]

Can't make the club from the tub. If the season started today, Johnson is on the team. (Just sayin'...)

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='682753' date='Jul 30 2008, 12:44 PM']1.) Chick is creepy, that cannot be said enough.

2.) The only way James Johnson makes the team is on the practice squad. He's not going to supplant Watson, Perry or Dorsey.[/quote]

He might surplant Dorsey if he can show to be a better blocker than Dorsey is.

[quote][size=5][b]Picking off cheers [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 30, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. _ Rookie cornerback Simeon Castille, out of Alabama, climbed the ladder to grab an interception Wednesday morning, and the defensive sideline erupted and mobbed him as if he'd just ran one back against Auburn.

It's just another example of how defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer is changing the culture of a defense that desperately needs love and an identity.

"The coach said last night we needed to show a little more life and excitement and to cheer everybody on and encourage them," Castille said. "I guess they decided to take it a little overboard."

Castille is used to big moments. Ever since he can remember he has watched his father's big play in the 1987 AFC championship game on ESPN. It's a play that should make him feel comfortable in Bengaldom.

Broncos defensive back Jeremiah Castille is the man that forced Earnest Byner's goal-line fumble that poked the Browns out of the Super Bowl when they were minutes away.

"I'm sure they still remember that play," said Castille of the Cleveland fans.

[b]SLANTS AND SCREENS:[/b] You can get some debate on how hard head coach Marvin Lewis is running his camp with the 80-player roster limit.

There are some veterans who can't see much of a change in the hard-driving Lewis. But his biggest critic about driving them too hard, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, says it's been Lewis' best camp.

"I'm shocked. Everybody gets reps justice a certain few. It's wonderful," Houshmandzadeh said. " I don't think you could find anybody on he team that doesn't feel fresh the way practice has gone. I guess with the roster limit at 80, everybody benefits."

But Houshmandzadeh didn't practice Wednesday morning because of tightness in his leg and is 50-50 to work Wednesday night. Some felt that Tuesday's work in the 95-degree heat of the afternoon was extremely tough and are bracing for more of the same Wednesday night.

"Ask me after tonight," said one vet. "The big thing is after Friday there are only two double sessions the rest of camp."

Right tackle Willie Anderson, the 13-year pro, cringed when he heard Houshmandzadeh's assessment.

"He's going to jinx us saying that. Marvin is going to see that," Anderson said with a laugh. "I don't want to get into it. I think it's one of the hardest camps we've ever had."

Anderson does like how it has started though. He basically had Wednesday morning off in preparation for the night practice and his body seems to be reacting well to working in consecutive days.

"I can live with that," he said....

With Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson both down, the No. 3 receiver candidates got a ton of work with Marcus Maxwell continuing to get work at Johnson's X spot, Antonio Chatman filling in for Houshmandzadeh at the Z, and rookie Andre Caldwell getting a lot of snaps in the slot.

"That's pretty much all I did today," said Caldwell, a third-round pick out of Florida. "I've played every position so it's really no different."

Caldwell looked pretty competent in the blitz session, Chatman looked quick and slippery on underneath stuff, and Maxwell caught everything thrown at him. The one thing missing with Johnson is the down-field bursts.

"I'm glad I could get the work because they blitz so much in the NFL," Caldwell. "In college, you know the blitz is coming. I n the NFL you don't know until the last minute because they disguise it so well."

Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski is seeing continued improvement.

"(Maxwell) has looked good here and he looked good in the spring," said offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski, "He has to transfer it to the preseason games. (Chatman) is healthy. When he's an exciting, quick player. He's got the ability to shake free and get good yards after catch."...

It always happens, doesn't it? The guy playing for the guy holding out, in this case Brandon Johnson for Keith Rivers at WILL linebacker, always seems to be playing well.

But, really.

Johnson, who played just nine games in Arizona the past two seasons behind Karlos Dansby, had already been penciled in for the nickel passage off a strong spring showing ability in pass coverage. Now he's getting more reps than he ever thought.

"I try to never make the same mistake twice," he said. "The more reps you get, you tend to see twice a lot quicker. I'm really grateful they're giving me a shot."...[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6909"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6909[/url]

Recap of SIRIUS at Bengals training camp, that I found on another board . . .

[quote name='The Bengal Thing;64528']Here is my running notes from listening.... I am at work though.... so it's not complete:

Young recievers struggling!!!!! Even after a walk through had problems with the hot reads

Simpson beat the "D", but Carson overthrew him..... Zimmer went nutz for the D getting beat.

They are VERY impressed with Rudi! VERY impressed. He looks very powerful.

The backfiled is very impressive all together, KW looks good, Chris Perry didn't practice this AM, but they say the same that everyone else has (Chris is looking good).

Last year they thought Carson got hit too much (not sacked so much....but hit and knocked down). Led to talk about the OL....... I had to take a call though and couldn't hear it

Now the "D"...... hard to run the ball when playing from behind. Focus needs to be on the "D". Loves Peko...... Keep an eye on Simms. Love the secondary, JJ, HAll.

Odom is a big loss. Pressure leads to picks, Odom gives you that.

Rudi coming up after the break

They are talking to Rudi..... same 'ol same ol for the most part from him. Talking about keeping the defense off balance with Ben U

Jeremi Johnson question....... We wish he could be out here with us, a blow/set back, hopefully he can get back into shape and up to speed. He is my last blocker..get timing and everything together.

[b][i]Marv is up now:[/i][/b]

same ol.... talked about Rudi

Talked about Jeremi Johnson (made everyone chuckle with a comment.... Marv style)

Gave TJ a rest today (TJ said Marv threw him a bone).... getting a better look at the young recievers

JS and AC are getting reps

JS saw some in and out doubles, over the top and underneath doubles.....etc. Had a blitz period where they will need to make adjustments.

Ben U - gives personal flexibility, allows us to play a little more "chess" with schemes and line-ups

Good vibe in G-Town

Asked about Cj and "reviewing his contract". marv says that is good and everyones contract gets reviewed at the end of the year. More chuckling....etc

TJ is a priority and we would LOVe to have him back

[b][i]Ben U is on the mic now:[/i][/b]

Very exciting to be a role player....much like Dallas Clark in indy

Carson vs Peyton - Carson is very similiar, put the ball where ever he wants too. Pratically the same guy. Excited to play during the season. Knows the situations to throw a soft or hard ball...etc

Balance on the offense........ get the defense on their heels, focus on running the ball. Watch out for the Cincy offsense!

Rudi hits the hole hard and right away![/quote]

[quote name='The Bengal Thing;64534']going back to Marv's interview they are now talking about how Marv mentioned that players were too worried about their contracts to "finish" the season.....etc. They felt that was a dig at CJ.

They expect to get TJ signed at the end of the year

Not going to be successful unless a top 10 defense. Marv seems to like Zimmer a lot.

Mentioned Zimmer yelling at the players

Say they NEED Rivers signed. May need to move Brooks back

[b][u]Willie Anderson:[/u][/b]

Asked about Andrews and new role....... "be ready when called upon, get other players ready"

Other players seem more upset about it than you - "being a team player and not making a problem out of it, my health was a concern... I need to show them"

Talking about underachieving - "This year we are looking to bounce back.... The "D" is going to be improved so we can no longer say that is the problem, the OL needs to turn it up"

Willie on NOW - "Make sure we are technically sound. Make ever series count in preseason. Lead up to opening week"

Willie on Collins - "has myself and Levi to talk to . Get better each and every day. There will be mistakes.... don't make the same ones. Take care of your body"[/quote]

[url="http://bengalsworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64538#post64538"]http://bengalsworld.com/forum/showthread.p...64538#post64538[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='682781' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:03 PM']Is the holdout expected to be THAT long?[/quote]

Personally, I don't think so. Everyone in league circles was saying that this Ellis holdout could go on forever, but it got done relitively quick based on how far apart the two sides were. That's just my opinion.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='682783' date='Jul 30 2008, 02:07 PM']Personally, I don't think so. Everyone in league circles was saying that this Ellis holdout could go on forever, but it got done relitively quick based on how far apart the two sides were. That's just my opinion.[/quote]

Im hoping sometime tommorow or friday it gets done, Harvey is the only other guy left.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='682818' date='Jul 30 2008, 05:14 PM']*re-crosses fingers*[/quote]
With them agreeing to review Chad's deal at the end of the year that leaves us with 3 potential BIG deals at the end of the year.
Stacy, TJ, and Chad... no way all 3 of them stay, so who's the odd man out? Do we trade chad and give TJ the money? Do we tag TJ? Let TJ walk and give Chad the money? Trade TJ or Stacy mid-season if things dont go as hoped?
And iirc didnt stacys brother not report to eagles camp?(excuse the double negative) Does this help with the possible re-signing of Stacy if his brother isn't happy in philly :shrug:

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' post='682838' date='Jul 30 2008, 06:16 PM']With them agreeing to review Chad's deal at the end of the year that leaves us with 3 potential BIG deals at the end of the year.
Stacy, TJ, and Chad... no way all 3 of them stay, so who's the odd man out? Do we trade chad and give TJ the money? Do we tag TJ? Let TJ walk and give Chad the money? Trade TJ or Stacy mid-season if things dont go as hoped?
And iirc didnt stacys brother not report to eagles camp?(excuse the double negative) Does this help with the possible re-signing of Stacy if his brother isn't happy in philly :shrug:[/quote]

I think it depends. If the young talent on D continues to develop, I think you can get away with making those three deals without spending big on a defensive free agent. Then you can use the draft to fill needs at MLB and elsewhere.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' post='682838' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:16 AM']With them agreeing to review Chad's deal at the end of the year that leaves us with 3 potential BIG deals at the end of the year.
And iirc didnt stacys brother not report to eagles camp?(excuse the double negative) Does this help with the possible re-signing of Stacy if his brother isn't happy in philly :shrug:[/quote]
Jonathan Joseph is going to be due for an extension, too, in all likelihood. Assuming they try to lock him early as they just did Whitworth.

I'm not holding my breath on them getting TJ done. But I sure as hell am crossing my fingers. I know it's considered blasphemy to some, but I'd keep him over ocho stinko.

[quote][size=5][b] Night game[/b][/size]
Posted by MarkCurnutte at 7/30/2008 7:42 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Some notes from the Wednesday night practice.

-- Defensive end Robert Geathers was in street clothes for the Wednesday night practice.

-- Safety Herana-Daze Jones (hamstring) was missed both Wednesday practices.

-- Tailback Chris Perry and right tackle Willie Anderson, rested Wednesday morning, returned in full pads Wednesday night.

-- Several players were given the night practice off: left tackle Levi Jones, tailback Kenny Watson and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

-- Defensive end Antwan Odom, who sustained a left foot sprain in the morning practice Monday, was still in a protective boot Wednesday and again walking with crutches.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3ad0d511a5-47dc-4627-99f5-c887b41f4dad&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url]

ctrent:

[quote]Night practice 7.30
Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 06:50 PM EST [Bengals]

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Players are headed out to the field for the start of practice here in 15 minutes or so.

Worst haircut of camp has to go to Carl-Johan Bjork, but maybe it's because I'm not cool enough to realize that it's cool in Sweeden. In America, he just looks like a serial killer.

Cinedum Ndukwe's stretching routine looks like some kind of messed up dance.

Herana-Daze Jones looks like he's going to be out of practice. Looks like he's pointing to his hamstring to strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton.

Robert Geathers is also in street clothes.

Chris Perry is dressed and in pads.

No T.J. Houshmandzadeh

The OLine isn't out yet.

Eric Ghiaciuc also serial killer haircut. It's not just a European thing, I guess.

Ahmad Brooks, out late to stretch.

Glen Holt and Chris Perry returning kicks. Now it's Antonio Chatman and Jerome Simpson. These are just general drills, not the full-on return drills.

Looks like Levi Jones and Kenny Watson also getting the night off.

No sign of Willie Anderson. Scratch that, he's dressed out.

Andre Caldwell returning kicks now.

Now we've got a full return, but no contact. It's hard to gauge much from this, not even Shayne Graham's kickoffs, since they're using a Juggs machine isntead of having Graham kick. He did just wave at Caldwell on the return, though.

How confident would you be if the Bengals had Frostee Rucker and Jonathan Fanene starting at DE? THat's what they've got tonight with Odom hurt and Geathers (presumably) getting the night off.

The scribes are enjoying watching Marvin Lewis' body language as Chad Johnson talks to him. Crossed arms, to say the least.

But the good news is Chad Johnson has receivers' gloves and taped ankles. He just took some kid out of the stands and they went off the practice field. I may report that mother to Scott County DFCS

Now we're to live football.

With Levi Jones out, you've got Willie Anderson at right tackle and Whitworth at elft tackle, moving Stacy Andrews to left guard. A flea flicker and Chatman can't catch up to the ball on the first pass following two runs.

James Johnson impressive on a screen.

Watching the Jason Shirley, Pat Sims D-Line against the second O-Line.

Doesn't amtter who runs that end around, doesn't seem to ever work.

James Johnson, again, breaking loose.

And that's it for now. Back to separating the offense and defense.[/quote]

[quote][size=5][b]Wednesday Night update: TJ rests [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 30, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - In 86-degree temperatures the Bengals went at it in full pads Wednesday night without Keith Rivers, but with running back Chris Perry and right tackle Willie Anderson after the duo didn't work in the morning practice.

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh sat again with a tight muscle and safety Herana-Daze Jones sat out the night practice after apparently suffering a muscle problem in the morning.

Defensive ends Robert Geathers and Antwan Odom also weren't dressed. Odom has a sprained foot but he showed up without a boot and Geathers' absence was unexplained.

It looked like running back Kenny Watson and left tackle Levi Jones were simply getting a rest for their knees.

Wide receiver Chad Johnson (ankle) showed no signs of a limp as he jogged through some warmup drills.

Rivers and the man drafted ahead of him in Jacksonville, defensive end Derrick Harvey at No. 8, are the only first-rounders unsigned. The $19.4 million in guarantees for No. 7 Sedrick Ellis marks a huge gap in the slot to the $13.8 million guaranteed at No. 10 for New England's Jerod Mayo.

The defense supplied the big play in the first series of 11-on-11 when safety Kyries Hebert ranged to cause a fumble on a sweep after fighting off blockers.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6910"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6910[/url]

Archived