Ken Griffey Jr. traded

[quote]Reds, ChiSox agree on Griffey trade, await approvalby Ken Rosenthal
Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since Aug. 2005. He appears weekly on the FSN Baseball Report and MLB on FOX.

Updated: July 31, 2008, 7:45 AM EST 55 comments add this RSS blog email print Ken Griffey Jr. has never played in a World Series. He might be on the verge of getting his chance.

Clock is ticking The trade deadline is approaching fast. Who else will find themselves in a new uniform by Thursday's end? Ken Rosenthal has all the latest news and notes. The Reds have traded Griffey to the White Sox, pending his approval. Griffey will decide Thursday morning whether he will approve the deal, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. It is not known what the Reds would receive in return.

Griffey, as a player with 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club, has the right to block any deal. The White Sox attempted to acquire him from the Reds at the trade deadline in 2005, but the trade reportedly was nixed by Reds ownership for financial reasons.

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a game and a half, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for him unless they make another deal.

The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006.

Griffey, 38, is batting .245 this season with a .355 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 359 at-bats. Earlier this season, he hit his 600th home run.[/quote]

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='683042' date='Jul 31 2008, 08:10 AM']Damn. I wonder what uni he wears into the HOF someday.[/quote]

Probably the Seattle Uniform. That's where he put up his best numbers and really earned the HOF.

I hope he at least gets a shot at the series if the trade is approved.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='683046' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:12 AM']Probably the Seattle Uniform. That's where he put up his best numbers and really earned the HOF.

I hope he at least gets a shot at the series if the trade is approved.[/quote]
Yeah, me too

Do you guys remember "The Griffey effect" in Cincy when he came ?

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='683047' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:14 PM']Sad part is we are going to get NOTHING for him. It all would have turned out different if Perez would have let him wear number 24.[/quote]
The sad part is, he was never the same player after all the injuries, and he wasted his best years in another team's ugly ass uniform.

I'll never forget being in Sarasota to see his first HR in a Reds uni in spring training. Too bad that turned out to be the highlight of the past 8 years. <_<

I hope he gets a ring - although the thought of another WS in town is a bit irritating...

Anyway, I'll miss watching him - it's not too common (for a Reds fan anyway) to get to root for a first ballot hall of famer day in and day out.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='683046' date='Jul 31 2008, 08:12 AM'][b]Probably the Seattle Uniform.[/b] That's where he put up his best numbers and really earned the HOF.

I hope he at least gets a shot at the series if the trade is approved.[/quote]

Agree

I think I'll miss Junior. But if we get a good left handed starting pitcher or right handed outfielder with some pop in his bat, or maybe a great leadoff hitter, in return, and we use the money we save on Junior to re-sign Dunn, I'll be ok with the deal.

I remember this like it was yesterday. The count goes to 3-0 and I turned to my Dad and said "If this guy throws the next pitch anywhere near the plate, it's going to get crushed for a HR."

Dad laughed at me and said Junior was going to strike out. :lol: <_<

I damn near pissed my pants watching that ball leave the yard -_-

[img]http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/2000/03/030600griffeyswing.jpg[/img]

SARASOTA, Fla. — It didn't count for posterity, but don't tell that to the 4,096 fans at Ed Smith Stadium on Sunday.

Ken Griffey Jr. belted his first exhibition-season home run as a Red, prompting a standing ovation from the crowd. The shot off Texas Rangers right-hander Jeff Zimmerman led off the fourth inning and tied the score 1-1. Cincinnati went on to win 5-2.

Griffey, whose 398 regular-season homers rank fifth among active players, downplayed the blast.

“It's still spring,” he said.

Griffey swung at a high 3-0 pitch and lofted it over the left-center field wall. Asked whether he would swing at that pitch in the regular season or settle for a walk, Griffey said, “It depends on circumstances. If we were down a couple of runs, I have to take that. The situation dictates whether I swing or not.”

Taking the pitch he clobbered wouldn't have been so bad, either, Griffey indicated. “You're just trying to get your eye,” he said.

Griffey's also trying to hone his swing, which has been difficult in a camp that opened with 71 players. Though the Reds reassigned nine non-roster players to trim their contingent to 62, the clubhouse remains crowded.

“Sometimes you don't have the chance to get what you need, because of the number of guys in camp,” Griffey said. “So you do other things: Come here early, stay late, things like that.”

[img]http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/2000/03/030600griffeyhr.jpg[/img]

Oh what could have been, if he had stayed healthy.

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='683049' date='Jul 31 2008, 08:15 AM']Yeah, me too

Do you guys remember "The Griffey effect" in Cincy when he came ?[/quote]

The Reds had made it to postseason play the year before he arrived. All the excitement was completely justified. However the way it all turned out is one of the saddest stories in baseball. If he had stayed healthy not only could he have been one of the greatest of all time, but he would have done it without steriods during a time when all the other sluggers were juicing.

I would hate to lose Junior, but as stated, if we can get something in return that will assist the team, it will be hard to complain. We have people to play the outfield, so the loss won't be that drastic. This is more of an emotional loss than anything else and I will miss seeing him play as well.

Here's to hoping he gets a shot at winning the Series and wherever he goes will become my second favorite team (within reason).
I think he goes into the HOF in a Mariners uniform as well. Honestly, that's how it should be.

I remember how happy I was as well when he came here and if approved, I will be unhappy, but understand...

[quote name='fredtoast' post='683126' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:40 AM']The Reds had made it to postseason play the year before he arrived. All the excitement was completely justified. However the way it all turned out is one of the saddest stories in baseball. If he had stayed healthy not only could he have been one of the greatest of all time, but he would have done it without steriods during a time when all the other sluggers were juicing.[/quote]
He is still one of the greatest of all time. He was on the All-Century team. Seems like so long ago...

Thanks for coming home to play Junior. Wish it would have worked out better. -_-

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='683128' date='Jul 31 2008, 10:41 AM']espn and foxsports are reporting that griffey approved the trade. Now its just waiting on commissioner approval based on the financials.

Nick Massit and Danny Richar (spelling?) are teh two players reportedly involved. Both infielders I think they said.[/quote]

looks like Nick Masset is a RHP, 26yrs old. [url="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=434665"]http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/playe...layer_id=434665[/url]

can't tell if he's a starter or not.

Danny Richar is a 25yr old 2B. [url="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=462950"]http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/playe...layer_id=462950[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='683136' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:50 AM']looks like Nick Masset is a RHP, 26yrs old. [url="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=434665"]http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/playe...layer_id=434665[/url]

can't tell if he's a starter or not.

Danny Richar is a 25yr old 2B. [url="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=462950"]http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/playe...layer_id=462950[/url][/quote]

If that's what we get for Junior, I'm going to be pissed.

[quote name='Jason' post='683159' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:41 AM']If that's what we get for Junior, I'm going to be pissed.[/quote]

what were you hoping for? At least we got two guys who were good enough to be on the 40man roster of one of the better teams in the league.

I would have preferred an OF prospect though over a 2B.

[quote name='Jason' post='683159' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:41 AM']If that's what we get for Junior, I'm going to be pissed.[/quote]
x2.

They paid half of Junior's remaining salary this year, plus the $4M buyout for next year. And got:

Danny Richar

.230 hitter
.289 OB%
.406 SLG

And Nick Masset, a relief pitcher with a career ERA of 5.63

Richar better be a gold glover.

Random thoughts:

Junior biggest success as a Red was getting people into the stands to watch bad baseball.

He was never a leader.

He doesn't have much left, and nothing left that will help the Reds into the future.

Maybe the guys we got aren't much, but what they represent is worth the trade.

No Junior means we build around our youth, and have some extra money to do it with.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='683162' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:45 PM'][b]what were you hoping for? [/b] At least we got two guys who were good enough to be on the 40man roster of one of the better teams in the league.

I would have preferred an OF prospect though over a 2B.[/quote]

See post 13.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='683163' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:46 PM']x2.

They paid half of Junior's remaining salary this year, plus the $4M buyout for next year. And got:

Danny Richar

.230 hitter
.289 OB%
.406 SLG

And Nick Masset, a relief pitcher with a career ERA of 5.63

Richar better be a gold glover [b][color="#FF0000"]at short stop[/color][/b].[/quote]

FIFY. We already have a gold glove calibur second baseman.

Archived