Jonathan Joseph

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that Joseph has the potential to be not just a Pro Bowl player, but actually an All-Pro.

In '06 as a rookie he finished 6th in the league among CBs with20 passes defended despite only starting 9 games.

In '07 he started slowly because of a foot injury, but at the end of the year he was playing better than any CB in the entire league. Just look at these stats over his last 6 games when the Bengals went 4-2.

36 tackles
12 PD
3 INT (all against Pro Bowl QBs)

If you project those numbers over a full 16 game season this is how they compare to the league leaders among CBs last year

96 tackles...(95, Von Hutchins)
32 PDs.......(21, Rod Hood)
8 ints..........(10, Antonio Cromarti) no other CB had more than 7.

The biggest thing to remember is that Joseph put up these numbers while playing for a team that was DEAD LAST in the league in sacks. If we can get just an average pass rush this will make him an even more effective CB.

So here is to Jonathan being our first All-Pro defensive player since. . . . . Well, I don't even know when we last had an All-Pro defensive player, but it has been WAY too long.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='683188' date='Jul 31 2008, 10:36 AM']--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that Joseph has the potential to be not just a Pro Bowl player, but actually an All-Pro.

In '06 as a rookie he finished 6th in the league among CBs with20 passes defended despite only starting 9 games.

In '07 he started slowly because of a foot injury, but at the end of the year he was playing better than any CB in the entire league. Just look at these stats over his last 6 games when the Bengals went 4-2.

36 tackles
12 PD
3 INT (all against Pro Bowl QBs)

If you project those numbers over a full 16 game season this is how they compare to the league leaders among CBs last year

96 tackles...(95, Von Hutchins)
32 PDs.......(21, Rod Hood)
8 ints..........(10, Antonio Cromarti) no other CB had more than 7.

The biggest thing to remember is that Joseph put up these numbers while playing for a team that was DEAD LAST in the league in sacks. If we can get just an average pass rush this will make him an even more effective CB.

So here is to Jonathan being our first All-Pro defensive player since. . . . . Well, I don't even know when we last had an All-Pro defensive player, but it has been WAY too long.[/quote]

Weren't Tory and Deltha All Pro in '04 and '05?

The good thing about having a good secondary is that because of fear of Carson, teams will throw on us. He will have his chances to make a play.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='683195' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:42 PM']Weren't Tory and Deltha All Pro in '04 and '05?

The good thing about having a good secondary is that because of fear of Carson, teams will throw on us. He will have his chances to make a play.[/quote]

They were Pro Bowl players. There are 8 CBs that go to the Pro Bowl every year. All-Pro means number one at your position in the entire league. There are only two All-Pro CBs every year.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='683237' date='Jul 31 2008, 02:03 PM']this year i predict he gets 25 PDs and 8 INTs and gives up less then 10 completions of over 15 yards...unless the pass-rush is as horrible as last year[/quote]

So you think they'll be throwing his way alot ????

Years ago a CB for the Niners made the probowl with 1 interception and not many PD's....know why? they didnt throw his way
out of respect for his abiltiy to make the big play.....
Deion was like that too.
Its not allways about Numbers.

He has to put a full healthy season together. If you combined the 2nd half of both of his first two years, you'd have a Pro Bowl player. I think he's got tremendous potential - excellent in coverage, improving ball skills, good (not great) run defender. I like Hall a lot, too - he's a better run defender, but I think Joseph is better overall.

[quote name='texbengal' post='683272' date='Jul 31 2008, 04:04 PM']He has to put a full healthy season together. If you combined the 2nd half of both of his first two years, you'd have a Pro Bowl player. I think he's got tremendous potential - excellent in coverage, improving ball skills, good (not great) run defender. I like Hall a lot, too - he's a better run defender, but I think Joseph is better overall.[/quote]

I like to think of JoJo as our Dieon and Hall as our Rod Woodson.

Not that I think either will be quite that good, but in their style of play.

Although JoJo is probably a better run defender than Dieon ever was.

I think the sky's the limit on the kid if he can keep away from the ganja and stay healthy. [i]Especially[/i] if we have some semblance of a pass rush this season, which, given our acquisitions of players and coaches, as well as getting healthy, we should.

[quote name='Jason' post='683211' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:17 PM']I think JoJo has the potential to be an All Pro. Especially if he starts catching more of the balls he drops.[/quote]

I sure do hope that it happens. JJ and Leon are our 1st round investments. You live or die with you draft. We have good offense, we should have good secondary and we shall not have above average front 7 unless some miracle happens (Odom is true sleeper, Rivers makes it HUGE etc...). Play of our young DB's will decide our season.

IMO, Leon Hall will be the all around better CB. Nothing against J.Joe I think he's got the ability to produce INT levels that land you in the pro bowl.

But, this is all pie in the sky. Both of these guys had multiple bad games last season and a pretty poor season as a whole. They've got a lot to prove, this team simply gives up too many yards and loses on 3rd down too much to be talking about 1 of your CBs being a consistent Pro Bowler or All-Pro.

Before anybody goes on about Pass Rush, well that's part of the deal. The people voting for All-Pro etc don't really hand out "what ifs" when making their selection. If that were the case Wille Anderson would have 8-9 Pro Bowls and 3-4 All pro selections and we would be discussing if he were as good as Munoz.

Archived