So it looks like Corey Lynch is a lock to make the Bengals

So I am listening to the mock game on the internet and I keep hearing Lynch's name. Two int. and a sack in the Intersquad and the Mock Game. Sounds like he knows where to be, and sounds like he is a lock to make the team. Anyone who went to the game your thoughts would be welcome. Sounds like the D is looking good.

From C. Trent:

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/[/url]

And away we go -- what Marvin Lewis calls "underwear football."

First series

Palmer to Kelly for a 5-plus. Chris Perry picks up a couple. Third and 1. Palmer to Maxwell. THere's a big pass play for Ben Utecht for 19. Realy nice hole by the line and Perry turns it up. Rush by Chatman (backwards latteral to him on the outside, so it's techinically a rush) for a first down. Palmer to Holt for 5. Chris Perry stopped for a loss by Eric Henderson and Simeon Castille. Wide open across the middle to Glenn Holt for about 15 or so to the 8. Perry 5 to the 3 for 2&G. Palmer incomplete to Kelly. His first incompletion of the mock game. Palmer to the end zone, knocked away by O'Neal. Shayne Graham a 21-yard field goal attempt. Black 3, White 0

Second series

Fitzpatrick incomplete to Glatthaar. A short run by Johnson. Incomplete to simpsone. David Jones breakup. That's a 3-and-out, so that's two more points for the Black team. Larson booms one 50 yards to Chatman at the 15. Black 5, White 0

Third series

Perry a loss of 3. Rowe screen to Perry gets abck to the 15. End of the quarter. Rowe throws it to Jim Maxwell and completes it, nearly for a touchdown. But, well, Jim Maxwell is a linebacker. And that's four points for white. Black 5, White 4

Fourth series

James Johnson on the draw for 2, but there's a holding penalty. Johnson for 8, but another flag. Another holding. 1&30 at the 31. Screen to James Johnson for 5. A checkdown from (Jordan) Palmer to (James) Johnson for four. Sack. Field gaol attempt from 48. Wide right. Black 5, White 4

Fifth series

Glatthaar straight ahead for 8. Glatthaar ahead to the 48. First down. (Carson) Palmer incomplete to Kelly. Maxwell end around for 4. Over the middle to Chatman for a first down to the 42. Hebert hit him and knocked him down, even though that's against the agreed upon rules. Glatthaar ahead for a couple. Palmer gets Maxwell downfield to the 21. To Kelly for a 2-yard gain. Glatthaar for four. Two minute warning. Sack by Angelo Craig. 40-yarder good. Black 8, White 4

Sixth series

Fitzpatrick to (James) Jonson for 5. To Logan for a first down. Fitzpatrcik scrambles. That's how Harvard rolls -- an 8 yard gain and a timeout. Fitzpatrick to Lawrie. Johnathan Joseph pick 6. 69 yards. Bad throw to Fitzpatrick. 4 points for the INT plus the six for TD. PAT good. Black 19, White 4

Seventh series

Jeff Rowe for the black team gets a shot. Deltha O'Neal breaks up the pass to Glenn Holt. Flag is for interferrence on O'Neal. Marcus Maxwell wide open to the 22. That's more than 20, so another point. 21-3. Incomplete. Now a penalty. And another. Rowe misses a wide-open Glenn Holt down the sidelines. Jeff Row's going to go for it on 4&21 at the 33. Deep to Chatman over Corey Lynch. They get extra points for a pass play of more than 20 yards. Black 29, White 4

Halftime

Eighth series

Jordan Palmer to Matt Sherry for a nice gain and a first down. Palmer misses Clyde Logan -- Leon Hall was with him step-for-step. Flag is thrown. On the defense. Illegal contact. Draw to James Johnson for 4. Palmer throws a bad pass. Shoulda been a pick by Leon Hall. Flag. On the offense. Pass interferrence on the offense. Nevermind, it's been picked up. Fanene strips Palmer. It's ruled incolmpete. Punt. Really nice punt, downed inside the 10.That's two points for the black. Black 31, White 4

Ninth series

Starting at the 15, Carson Palmer deep. Glatthaar for 1. Palmer incomplete. Lynch tips the ball. Flag. Deltha O'Neal holding. First down for the black. Flea-flicker to Holt for 26 yards, that's good for a point. 32-4. Glatthaar for 3. Glatthaar again. 2. Drop by Glatthaar. Wasn't going to be a first down anyway. Still not good for the Elder/UC product. He'd had a really good day. Larson to punt. Two points for the white. Not a great punt by Larson, but inside the 20. Black 32, White 6

10th series

The White team is starting on the defense 40. Fitzpatrick under center. James Johnson for two. Incomplete. Fitzgerald rushes, but short of the first down. They'll go. Johnson stopped by Fanene.

11th series

Jeff Rowe starting at the 1. Row to Maxwell for three. Glatthaar stopped in the backfield. Loss of 2. Glatthaar makes the catch, stopped at the 10. Punt. 46-yard punt.

12th series

White team, with Jordan Palmer, gets the ball at the Black 30. Incomplete to Logan. James Johnson run, but an illegal mostion penalty. Sack by Michael Myers, his third sack of the weekend. Johnson straight ahead for 1. Pick. Johnathan Joseph tips it, and Dexter Jackson catches it in stride. Was intended for Logan. Black 38, White 8

13th series

Carson Palmer leading his team from the 1. Lynch blitzes. Palmer throws it away, it's intentional grounding, safety. Black 38, White 10

14th series

White team led by Fitzpatrick. Fanene tips, Frostee Rucker with pressure. James Johnson slips. No gain. Incomplete. Fourth down, a punt. Chatman back, into the end zone for a touchback. Black 40, White 10

15th series

4:43 left on the clock. Almost over. C. Palmer to Glatthaar. for a gain of say 8. Again to Glatthaar, who gets to the sideline for a first down and stops the clock. Looks like the two-minute drill for this team. And I'm gonna have to run down to the field here in just a second. About 2:40 left At the Two minute warning, Corey Lynch picks him. Wow. A really nice pick. Black 40, White 14

Some observations I had while there:

Kenny Irons almost ran me over in the parking lot, twice. ^_^

James Johnson is a slippery guy. If the game wasn't touch he would have broken a few good runs.

Angelo Craig owned Willie Anderson on more than once occasion, once for a sack. He is really really quick off the snap.

Maxwell is the real deal.

Collins has a long way to go before he is ready to play left tackle. He got beaten numerous times.

Whitworth and Andrews are ridiculously large.

Rookie receivers didn't do much, although I don't even think they were thrown to.

Sims looked to be giving Bobbie and whoever was playing center (Ghiaciuc or Santucci I don't remember who it was at that time) fits. He was double teamed a lot.

It was really hot.

Lynch had a decent game, although Chatman (who looked really good) beat him for a TD.

That's all that really stuck out to me.

[quote name='Cricket' post='683796' date='Aug 2 2008, 12:54 PM']Where are all of the posts/articles/info regarding today's mock game??? :huh:[/quote]

Sorry. I went to a Minor League Baseball (LaCrosse Loggers) game last night.
Their Owner chartered some buses, and treated the entire town to a free game,
and free food and beer, because we have been flooded out twice (August 2007 and June 2008)
It was awesome. We even got to go down on the field afterward and meet the players.
Greg Vaughn (former Red) is an assistant coach. And his son, Cory, plays Center Field.

Anyway, enough bout me . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Mock Notes: First-string has winning tune [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
August 2, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - When Mike Zimmer showed up as defensive coordinator back in January, he turned the tape on cornerback Johnathan Joseph and shuddered.

The kid didn't have a very good year, he thought, and now we'll never be able to play man-to-man.

Fast forward to the Bengals Mock Game here Saturday at Georgetown College, where Joseph continued his pick-a-day training camp with another interception he took 69 yards for a touchdown that gave the first-string Black team 10 of its points in the 44-22 victory over the reserve White team.

The game is basically touch football in shoulder pads, but that's veritable Super Bowl for receivers and DBs.

"I didn't know him and when I watched the tape, I didn't think he played well last year," Zimmer said. "He's playing well now. He's working, he's aggressive, he's tough, he's physical, he's smart. When I first started working with him I knew he had a chance to do some things."

The main thing Zimmer likes his corners to do his cover, and it looks like he's got four of them in the starters, Joseph and Leon Hall, and first two off the bench in David Jones and Deltha O'Neal.

"If your corners need help all the time, then we have to play a different style," Zimmer said. "I prefer to play this way: man-to-man. You cover this guy. Hit the quarterback if you can."

Like Joseph says, the man-to-man coverage allows more pressure on the quarterback and squeezing the pocket on passers that have bedeviled Bengals DBs down through the years. Joseph enjoys the challenge and the approach Zimmer has brought. He's been talking about the in-your-face style for months.

"It's a great responsibility to be on an island," Joseph said. "We had a lot of man last year, but it was a different style, a different approach. From a players' aspect (the change) is night and day ... the whole attitude ... to even jogging off the field. You've got to run his show."

Night and day describes Joseph's game now and his game last year.

Last year he was hurt, still limping with a foot stress fracture broken in early June at the mandatory minicamp. Secondary coach Kevin Coyle says Joseph never came close to his rookie form until maybe later in the season.

And he did everything in 2006 but intercept the ball. Somehow he had 19 passes defensed without his first NFL interception, which didn't come until last year, a 42-yard touchdown against the Jets.

"I can't even explain it," Joseph said of the difference in his health.

He has picked the ball all week. He got Carson Palmer on Tuesday by just standing in a zone and on Thursday he took advantage of rookie Jerome Simpson's wrong route to intercept Palmer at the first end-zone pylon.

On Saturday he again picked on a rookie. Receiver Clyde Logan went a little long on his sideline route and Joseph took the throw from backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and streaked fast enough down the side that he must now hold the Kentucky record in the 69-yard dash.

"My hamstrings are still burning," said Fitzpatrick, who made a game effort to chase Joseph down.

He wasn't helped when Joseph made a severe cut into the middle of the field at about the 20.

"It was a two-minute drill and I've been around for a little bit so I know in a two-minute drill they're either going to work the middle of the field or the outside with time against them to get out-of-bounds," Joseph said. "I didn't think he was going to pursue me like that. He's got good speed for a quarterback. We only had three corners so I was thinking about just jogging in there."

The game, which is basically touch football in shoulder pads and shorts, followed the week's trends. Carson Palmer was efficient on 12-of-16 passing for 126 yards. Wide receiver Antonio Chatman caught another touchdown pass, while rookie safety Corey Lynch made two more big plays.

And both defenses were stingy against the run, allowing the running backs just 41 yards on 19 carries.

[b]WILL POWER:[/b] For the first time in a long time, four-time Pro Bowl right tackle Willie Anderson played in the Mock Game less than 24 hours after putting his body through Friday's intrasquad scrimmage.

And, at 33, he said, "It feels like it, but it's all good because I feel like the other 80 guys in camp. It feels nice to be where everybody else in camp is. I'm not where I want to be, but nobody is. We're all working to get there with technique and conditioning."

Anderson's preseasons the past several years have been hampered by injury, as well as sore muscles and feet courtesy of 181 NFL games. But those look to be behind him with no setbacks this week. He worked in at least 30 or so snaps Saturday, not only as Stacy Andrews' backup at right tackle, but also when Andrews moved to right guard.

Anderson chuckles when people seem surprised he's playing so much.

"I proved I could come back last season in the last two games," Anderson said of a season he was limited by a foot injury and then a knee injury. "I didn't get demoted because I played bad football. I'm in this situation because I got hurt and they've got a lot of money in the guy that replaced me, and me. It's a unique situation. We'll see how it plays out."

Anderson said he loved it Saturday because he went through things he hasn't been going through lately until the preseason games, if then.

"It's getting your wind back for the next play," Anderson said. "That's a feeling you get in a preseason game. That's what football shape is all about. Marvin talks about concentrating while you're tired, while you're out of breath. (Playing now) is not new to me. In the long run, I think it will help me."

[b]CHATMAN DO:[/b] Carson Palmer sighed, "Finally," after a weekend wide receiver Antonio Chatman made a diving 21-yard touchdown catch on one of his balls and then followed it up Saturday with a leaping 33-yard touchdown catch from Jeff Rowe.

Since coming over from Green Bay in 2006 after a season he caught 49 balls from Brett Favre, Chatman has been better known for his groin problems in his '06 training camp and the hamstring problems of the '07 camp. It got to the point last year where the Bengals released him to adjust their Opening Day roster, and then signed him back the next week.

"I'm just trying to stay healthy; that's about all I'm thinking about," Chatman said.

The 5-9, 185-pound Chatman is the anti-Bengal wideout. Short and slight, but he also knows, "Carson likes me because he knows I'll get open."

With no one taking Chris Henry's No. 3 job by the horns, the hope is that Chatman is ready to step up because the club feels his speed and quickness and his six years of experience make him more dangerous than anyone on the roster.

"We know what we have, it's just he had so many freak injuries like Chris Perry," Palmer said. "You know he can play. You know he can create mismatches."

Which is what Chatman did out of the slot Saturday when he found himself working against Lynch. Lynch, playing a new position as a cornerback/safety in the nickel package for the first time in his life, admitted it was not a good matchup.

"A first-timer against an amazing great receiver," Lynch said. "A little mismatch. I learned a good lesson from it."

Chatman insists, "I can beat pretty much anyone one-on-one. That's my thing. That's what I do."

[b]MORE LYNCH:[/b] Lynch was the Rookie of the Weekend. He followed up Friday's end-zone interception of Jordan Palmer with a sack and interception of Carson Palmer on Saturday in sweeping the Palmer brothers. Maybe the most important things are he made those two plays on Carson after he got burned by Chatman and the interception came out of his new hybrid position in nickel.

That may not become a staple because it was an emergency situation with both teams depleted from the positions being split in half and Herana-Daze Jones injured.

There's no question that since the hitting began, Lynch is looking more and more comfortable. He said his transition from Division I Appalachian State "is just as some of the big college guys."

[b]SLANTS AND SCREENS[/b]
The secret big play on Chatman's TD was running back Chris Perry's big-time pickup of 220-pound safety Kyries Hebert blitzing. Hebert buried Perry, but Perry kept him at bay. Perry rushed five times for eight yards and looked a little leg weary after Friday night's 12 catches. But it was huge he went back-to-back with seemingly no setbacks.

After a total weekend crowd estimated in the 13,500 range, Georgetown's attendance is down nearly 50 percent from the last two seasons and there are four easy reasons:

The non-weekend start on Monday, the economy, gas prices, and the lukewarm expectations surrounding the Bengals.

The Bengals inactive list during the weekend was longer than the camp schedule, headed by Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Rudi Johnson. Chad (ankle) could be back as soon as Monday, but Houshmandzadeh and Rudi may be back in a couple more days with mild hamstring pulls.

Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski says the decision has been to err on the side of caution when the rosters were cut to 80 players.

"If there are any long-term risks, we were willing to give up a week of time for three, four, five weeks of a bad hamstring," Bratkowski said. "We're not at a point in time we need to get them back. There's still time."

New tight end Ben Utecht caught one ball this weekend, but it was a big one for 19 yards Saturday. Carson Palmer sees more of those coming out of the slot, on the line, and out of backfield as a fullback. All of which Utecht played this weekend at various points.

"We knew he was good; we didn't know he was this good," Palmer said. "You see so many tight ends that can catch but can't block and others than can block all day long but have trouble running routes and catching the ball. With him, he really balances us out on offense because we don't have to disguise anything."

Chatman, the only man, it would seem, within 100 miles who has caught a ball from Favre, weighed in on the saga:

"It's a tough situation," Chatman said. "Brett probably retired too early and the Packers wanted to move on. You can see both sides. I think he ought to end up back with the Packers.

Offensive line coach Paul Alexander, the assistant head coach, stood in for Marvin Lewis for much of the game.

"It's like a Broadway show. It's the dress rehearsal and we're ready to go the next time out," Alexander said. "We've still got a lot of work, but we're about where we should be at this point in training camp."

Lewis, out of town for personal reasons, showed up on the field late in the third quarter. He gave his players the next 24 hours off.

One camp trend held up Saturday. Both defenses were stingy against the run, allowing the running backs just 41 yards on 19 carries.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6920"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6920[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]JungleInsider.com Blog [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
JungleInsider.com Editor

Welcome to the JungleInsider.com blog. Here you will find news, notes and tidbits of different sorts on the Bengals. Commence reading.

[b]Saturday 8/2/08, 4:27 p.m.

MOCK THOUGHTS[/b]

The Black team beat the White team, 44-22, before an estimated crowd of 6,400 at Toyota Stadium. The mock game is glorified two-hand touch but it is still good practice for players and coaches, especially given the quick turnaround from last night’s scrimmage. Head coach Marvin Lewis missed the start of the game due to personal reasons but made it back in time for last few minutes of the practice.

Carson Palmer completed 12 of 18 passes for 126 yards but was intercepted once by rookie S Corey Lynch. Lynch also had a pressure in the end zone that forced Palmer to throw the ball away, which officials ruled intentional grounding and a safety for the White team.

In all, Bengals quarterbacks threw four interceptions on Saturday after Lewis had applauded them for their ball security Friday night. CB Johnathan Joseph, playing for the Black team, intercepted an errant Ryan Fitzpatrick pass that was underthrown to the sideline and returned it 69 yards for a touchdown. Joseph later deflected a pass from Jordan Palmer that S Dexter Jackson picked off. LB Jim Maxwell had the other interception of the game, picking off a Jeff Rowe throw for the White team. The rush defense showed well this weekend but, conversely, that means the rush offense wasn’t so hot. A truer feel for where the Bengals stand on both issues will be revealed when they go to Green Bay a week from Monday night to play the Packers in the preseason opener for both teams.

[b]1:50 p.m.[/b]

The mock game is underway in hot and humid conditions. Jeff Rowe just threw a touchdown pass to Antonio Chatman in the non-contact team drill. The players have been split into two teams, black shirts vs. white shirts, mostly first-teamer against backups. CB Johnathan Joseph picked off an errant Ryan Fitzpatrick pass that was underthrown to the sideline and returned it 69 yards for a touchdown.

The same 10 players that sat out last night’s scrimmage are sitting out today, with the additions of LBs Dan Howell and Ahmad Brooks.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell met with players and coaches this morning, including having a sit-down with six players to discuss issues and concerns they have. The six were: Dhani Jones, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Andrew Whitworth, Carson Palmer, Leon Hall and John Thornton.[/quote]

[url="http://cin.scout.com/2/771336.html"]http://cin.scout.com/2/771336.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals notebook[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]'Quick first week' ends in annual mock game; Defense picks off four passes; black team wins 44-22[/b][/size]
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • August 3, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - The Bengals wrapped up their seventh day of training camp Saturday with the annual mock game.

The glorified touch football game was more of a dress rehearsal for substitutions, down-and-distance situations and play-calling from the sideline.

The team in black jerseys - essentially, the starters - defeated the team in white jerseys 44-22.

The defense came up with four interceptions - one thrown by each of the Bengals' quarterbacks. Safety Corey Lynch had his second of the weekend, adding to the one he had Friday night in the intrasquad scrimmage. Johnathan Joseph returned a Ryan Fitzpatrick pass 69 yards for a touchdown, and safety Dexter Jackson and linebacker Jim Maxwell each had one.

The mock game was the ninth on-field practice of the week.

"It was a quick first week," coach Marvin Lewis said. "We got a lot of work done. Now we have some idea about how guys will play with pads on. There are some guys who have been injured, and they need to get out and get work."

Lewis said receiver Chad Johnson, out so far as he rehabs from ankle surgery, could be back on the field this week. Johnson, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and tailbacks Rudi Johnson, Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey were among the players who missed the weekend. Linebacker Ahmad Brooks was out Saturday but should be back this week, Lewis said.

Attendance was an estimated 6,400 for the mock game.

[b]BACK:[/b] Lewis missed the start of the scrimmage because he was gone overnight for personal business. Offensive line coach Paul Alexander, the team's assistant head coach, ran the mock game.

[b]HOLDOUT:[/b] Lewis downplayed the absence of first-round pick Keith Rivers, the projected starting outside linebacker.

"Keith is missing some time. But I'm not going to make a big deal out of it," Lewis said.

[b]RETURN:[/b] Wide receiver Antonio Chatman showed his ability to create mismatches with defensive backs over the weekend.

He added his second touchdown in the mock game, a 33-yard strike from Jeff Rowe.

"He's been around here longer than the other guys," offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said of Chatman, who had three receptions for 45 yards Saturday. "He is capable of making plays for us, as witnessed."

[b]ROOKIE:[/b] Lynch had a big weekend, capping his performance Friday night with another interception and two passes broken up in the mock game.

Playing nickel for the first time, he was beaten on Chatman's touchdown. Then he picked off Carson Palmer.

"I haven't been comfortable on the field, but these past two days I have been more comfortable," Lynch said.

[b]PERSONNEL:[/b] Right tackle Willie Anderson and center Dan Santucci worked extensively with the first-team offensive line. Right tackle Stacy Andrews moved to right guard to replace Bobbie Williams.

[b]ODDS AND ENDS:[/b] The Bengals are making good on their offseason claim to throw more to their tight ends. Ben Utecht had one catch for 31 yards Saturday, and Reggie Kelly had two for 9 yards. ... Defensive tackle Michael Myers got his third sack of the weekend Saturday; he had two in the scrimmage. ... Shayne Graham was 2-for-3 on field goals in the mock game and 4-for-6 in the scrimmage.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080803/SPT02/808030412"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SPT02/808030412[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Offense finds game as Rivers loses time[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Sunday, August 03, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — The offense got some revenge against the defense as the starting unit rolled to a 44-22 victory over a squad comprised of backups in the Cincinnati Bengals' Black-Orange Mock Game in front of 6,400 spectators at Toyota Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 2.

"I thought (the offense) was a little bit sharper," offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said the day after the defense dominated a scrimmage. "We'll get another picture, another look at it, against Green Bay (in the preseason opener Aug. 11)."

[b]Marvin missing[/b]

Subbing for Marvin Lewis, who arrived late because he was out of town attending a funeral, assistant head coach Paul Alexander said "the team responded pretty well" after (Friday's) hard-hitting scrimmage. "I didn't see a lot of mental errors. I saw pretty good enthusiasm, pretty good work."

[b]Calling Keith[/b]

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer wants first-round draft pick Keith Rivers' holdout to end. Today marks the linebacker's eighth day as an absentee.

"It's starting to get old now," Zimmer said. "He's starting to lose a lot of time. A lot of the install we're doing, he hasn't been through yet. He's got a lot of catching up to do."

[b]Roger's plan[/b]

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, visiting before heading back to Canton for the Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremonies, wants 17 regular-season games and three in the preseason instead of 16 and 4.

"I've been quite clear publicly and with our membership that the quality of the preseason is not up to NFL standards," he said. Modifying the ratio of 20 games "is a better reflection on the quality of our game."

[b]Rule change[/b]

The NFL's most glaring rule change of 2008: Teams that win the coin toss have the opportunity to defer until the second half.

Head linesman Paul Weidner of Cincinnati said referees "absolutely" expect to hear "defer" often. Why? "The wind factor," he said.

"It's just like college now. Same deal."[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/08/03/ddn080308spbengals.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=25"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...=7&cxcat=25[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Chatman wants to be Bengals' No. 3 wideout[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Sunday, August 03, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — With Chad Johnson (ankle) and T.J. Houshmandzadeh (hamstring) sidelined, somebody had to step forward.

Antonio Chatman sure did.

The sixth-year veteran emerged as the offensive star of training camp's big weekend with six receptions for 85 yards and two touchdowns.

His three catches for 45 yards and a TD highlighted the starting unit's 44-22 victory over the backups in the Cincinnati Bengals' Black-Orange Mock Game on Saturday, Aug. 2, at Toyota Stadium.

Chatman, plagued by hamstring injuries the past two seasons, is battling to win the No. 3 receiver job.

[b]Picks and grins[/b]

Despite the offensive fireworks, all four quarterbacks — Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jeff Rowe and Jordan Palmer — were intercepted Saturday.

Free safety Corey Lynch, cornerback Johnathan Joseph, linebacker Jim Maxwell and strong safety Dexter Jackson registered the picks.

"We're going against a young defense that comes out to win every play," Carson Palmer said. "They're so competitive on that side of the ball that it's helping us on offense."

[b]Lynch pin[/b]

Lynch, a rookie sixth-round pick and the hero of Appalachian State's 34-32 upset of Michigan last fall, is making a strong bid for the starting free safety job.

He intercepted Jordan Palmer in end zone on the final play of Friday's scrimmage, then followed up with a sack and an interception against Carson Palmer on Saturday. His sack came in the end zone for a safety.

"He's got a knack for the ball, doesn't he?" defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said.

[b]Where's Keith?[/b]

Linebackers coach Jeff FitzGerald wishes first-round holdout Keith Rivers were here. "We can get him schooled up on everything," he said. "But the biggest thing is that he's not spending time with his teammates. Going through the things they're going through helps bond our football team."

[b]Getting untracked[/b]

Tight end Ben Utecht, a free agent from the Colts, caught a 19-yard pass from Carson Palmer on the game's first drive. It was his only catch of the weekend.

"It felt great," Utecht said. "We've been working really hard on getting open on those seams. The right opportunity came and the ball was just placed perfect. That's all you ask from a guy like Carson Palmer."

[b]Comeback kid[/b]

After tossing an interception and overthrowing Glenn Holt, Rowe rebounded with a 33-yard TD pass to Chatman on the final play of the first half.

"You've got to forget whatever you've done before, no matter how things are going," Rowe said. "It's hard to do sometimes, but a play like that helps things go better. I like those two-minute drives. They're fun to do."

[b]Steeler invasion[/b]

A Pittsburgh fan, in a black truck with an inflatable Steelers mascot in the truck bed, surfaced on the hillsides near both ends of the stadium at different intervals on Friday and Saturday, laying on the truck horn in an attempt to interrupt the proceedings.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2253 or cludwig@DaytonDailyNews.com.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/08/03/ddn080308spbennotes.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=25"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...=7&cxcat=25[/url]

Other observations I had from the game:
- There were WAY too many penalties, mostly 2nd or 3rd team offense though. A lot of holding calls and a few pass interferences (can't remember what defense had those).
- Coats got knocked the fuck over by a penatrating defensive lineman on one of the first plays of the scrimmage. I think it may have been Thornton or Rucker, but Coats got in the blocking position and was just leveled by the lineman. He held his own the rest of the time though.

[quote][size=5][b]One word describes Lynch — WOW![/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Sunday, August 3, 2008, 02:27 PM

[b]LYNCH MAKING PLAYS

ALL OVER THE FIELD,

JUST LIKE COLLEGE[/b]

Is that really COREY LYNCH roaming the natural grass field at Georgetown College’s Toyota Stadium?

The way he kicked total butt all weekend, I would have sworn the Cincinnati Bengals rookie sixth-round draft pick was actually Denver Broncos perennial Pro Bowler John Lynch.

They share the same surname … Lynch.

They play the same position … free safety.

They wear the same uniform number … 47.

And now, I can honestly say … SEEING IS BELIEVING.

Lynch — the hero of Appalachian State’s 34-32 upset of Michigan last fall — is making a serious bid to wrestle the starting free safety job away from Marvin White.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/08/03/one_word_desccribes_lynch_wow.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s..._lynch_wow.html[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='684009' date='Aug 3 2008, 06:45 PM'][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/08/03/one_word_desccribes_lynch_wow.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s..._lynch_wow.html[/url][/quote]

I'm a big fan of the guy and at this point he has looked good and you would think he has to make this team. But Chick goes over the top a bit to talk about him starting. I believe Marvin White is going to be a star in the NFL.

Archived