Not trying to bash the guy here or anything like that, I'm just trying to understand why many on this board are in love with him. Yes, he's a fast back who had a blocked kick last year and a few big runs. Fact of the matter is we've already cut him once, then Indy cut him as well. I'd love to see him make the team if he's better than this Johnson kid out of K-State, but why are many assuming he's an automatic to make the team?

I agree with you and think he's the odd man out. He doesn't seem to have the build to take an NFL beating. Reminds me of Brazell. Tons of talent/potential, but not in an NFL body. I doubt he'll ever be strong enough to pick up the blitz, and he'll never be the "bell cow" kind of back.. I just don't see where he fits in.

Last year, with a broken Rudi and Perry, he was worth taking a shot on. But he was not up to the challenge physically. This year with a healthy Rudi, Perry and now Johnson, he's going to have to really earn his spot.

He runs like a deer with the ball, and would be great to watch shredding defenses. And I hope he proves me wrong and earns not only a roster spot but a chunk of playing time as a successful part of the offense. But I wouldn't put any money on it.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='684792' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:42 AM']he made some great special teams plays as well, he is a crafty little running back and a great guy to have on teams.. what more could you want in a lower depth chart RB?[/quote]
a guy who can play part of a game without having to leave via injury? james johnson seems to be faster, less shifty, but way more durable.

I like 8.7 yards per carry.

I don't know how you could have watched him play last year and not like him. He did nothing but impress. He's not going to start, not a featured back, but the guy can run the ball, make people miss and breaks tackles. He's very good on special teams, what more do you want ?

The Colts did cut him, then took him back and he got a Super Bowl ring with them.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='684796' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:51 AM']a guy who can play part of a game without having to leave via injury? james johnson seems to be faster, less shifty, but way more durable.[/quote]

And how do we know James Johnson is durable and won't have an injury ? He is not faster than Dede !

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='684797' date='Aug 7 2008, 01:51 AM']I like 8.7 yards per carry.

I don't know how you could have watched him play last year and not like him. He did nothing but impress. He's not going to start, not a featured back, but the guy can run the ball, make people miss and breaks tackles. He's very good on special teams, what more do you want ?

[b]The Colts did cut him, then took him back and he got a Super Bowl ring with them.[/b][/quote]
I'm nitpicking, but they cut him after they won their SB, iirc. They had to have him on the active roster after poaching him off of our practice squad.

He looks great with the ball in his hands. But he's useless on third down since he can't pick up the blitz. And he's useless unless he can stay healthy. Yes, the same can be said of anyone (see Perry, Chris) but the guy is of a very slight build that is going to make that a constant challenge, imo.

We'll see what Johnson brings in the games by comparison and have a much better idea. I'm confident the coaches will keep the right guy (assuming a lack of injuries will force them to choose between one or the other) While I don't often feel we get the most out of our talent on O, we surely do seem to recognize and stockpile it. I have no reason to doubt that this position battle will be any different.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='684806' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:05 AM']I'm nitpicking, but they cut him after they won their SB, iirc. They had to have him on the active roster after poaching him off of our practice squad.

He looks great with the ball in his hands. But he's useless on third down since he can't pick up the blitz. And he's useless unless he can stay healthy. Yes, the same can be said of anyone (see Perry, Chris) but the guy is of a very slight build that is going to make that a constant challenge, imo.

We'll see what Johnson brings in the games by comparison and have a much better idea. I'm confident the coaches will keep the right guy (assuming a lack of injuries will force them to choose between one or the other) While I don't often feel we get the most out of our talent on O, we surely do seem to recognize and stockpile it. I have no reason to doubt that this position battle will be any different.[/quote]

yep. He got hurt in the preseason, and since Indy only keeps 2 RBs (or at least have in the past), they went with teh healthy Kenton Keith and cut Dorsey. As soon as his ankle was healthy, the Bengals signed him.

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='684802' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:54 AM']And how do we know James Johnson is durable and won't have an injury ? He is not faster than Dede ![/quote]
[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=43680&view=findpost&p=684172"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=684172[/url]

he is more in the know than you. plus when i watched james johnson play i was surprised how fast he was. i agree that he is faster than dede. dede can just cut and move better.

IIRC, didn't Coach Anderson say 3D had "ball security issues"? If that's true, he could have corrected it, I guess a few big runs just don't excite me that much. Honestly, if Rudi, Perry and Watson are healthy, the only time we'd see 3D is on special teams, same goes for Johnson, but it just seems that Dorsey is always knicked up.

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='684838' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:03 PM']IIRC, didn't Coach Anderson say 3D had "ball security issues"? If that's true, he could have corrected it, I guess a few big runs just don't excite me that much. Honestly, if Rudi, Perry and Watson are healthy, the only time we'd see 3D is on special teams, same goes for Johnson, but it just seems that Dorsey is always knicked up.[/quote]

He does fumble a lot and he did again today at practice without even being touched :cry: Johnson fumbled a couple of time too.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='684832' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:46 AM'][url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=43680&view=findpost&p=684172"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=684172[/url]

he is more in the know than you. plus when i watched james johnson play i was surprised how fast he was. i agree that he is faster than dede. dede can just cut and move better.[/quote]

I asked Mark Curnutte who was faster [quote]I don't have a stopwatch. But I would say DeDe has better straight speed[/quote]

I would say it will all work itself out during the preseason games. And I'll say as much as I like Dede if James Johnson is better and will help the Bengals more I hope they keep Johnson.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='684790' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:41 AM']I agree with you and think he's the odd man out. He doesn't seem to have the build to take an NFL beating. Reminds me of Brazell. Tons of talent/potential, but not in an NFL body. I doubt he'll ever be strong enough to pick up the blitz, and he'll never be the "bell cow" kind of back.. I just don't see where he fits in.

Last year, with a broken Rudi and Perry, he was worth taking a shot on. But he was not up to the challenge physically. This year with a healthy Rudi, Perry and now Johnson, he's going to have to really earn his spot.

He runs like a deer with the ball, and would be great to watch shredding defenses. And I hope he proves me wrong and earns not only a roster spot but a chunk of playing time as a successful part of the offense. But I wouldn't put any money on it.[/quote]

x2

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='684851' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:26 PM']He does fumble a lot and he did again today at practice without even being touched :cry: Johnson fumbled a couple of time too.[/quote]

That's one thing I love about Coach Anderson. It seems like his backs rarely fumble (hope I'm not jinxing us here). As long as JA has been the RB coach I can't think of anyone who fumbled a lot. Ball, Green, Fenner, Dillon, Rudi...

I think we have the best RB coach in the league, no matter what he has, he makes it a productive group. (Last year doesn't count :P )

I realize this isn't the point of the post...but why are we talking about Dorsey vs. Johnson? My $0.02...I would rather keep both and cut Watson.

Before blasting me...

Watson was given the chance to be the man last year... Short version, he did nothing to dazzle. He was not pathetic. But not exactly someone that puts fear into the other team's defensive coordinator. I like stability on a team, but Watson is to the point in his career where we will not get any better. He is only going to decline in terms of production. He's not the fastest back on the team. He is OK on Special Teams...but I hardly think he can't be replaced.

Does he add something to the team...yes. Is he essential to the 2008 Bengals' success...no. I would rather go with the younger "potential" in this particular case.

This is not a steadfast rule of mine. There are many times that I would vote to take the proven, steady production over someone with the "potential" label. Although in this case, I think the Bengals running game is in a state where we need to get better than average. I vote to ride the "potential" pony until someone shows they can do the job.

I guess this has a lot to do with the fact that I have never really thought Watson was very good.

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='684873' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:03 PM']That's one thing I love about Coach Anderson. It seems like his backs rarely fumble (hope I'm not jinxing us here). As long as JA has been the RB coach I can't think of anyone who fumbled a lot. Ball, Green, Fenner, Dillon, Rudi...

I think we have the best RB coach in the league, no matter what he has, he makes it a productive group. (Last year doesn't count :P )[/quote]

and even last year kenny and dede ran well

[quote name='whodey1971' post='684877' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:11 PM']I realize this isn't the point of the post...but why are we talking about Dorsey vs. Johnson? My $0.02...I would rather keep both and cut Watson.

Before blasting me...

Watson was given the chance to be the man last year... Short version, he did nothing to dazzle. He was not pathetic. But not exactly someone that puts fear into the other team's defensive coordinator. I like stability on a team, but Watson is to the point in his career where we will not get any better. He is only going to decline in terms of production. He's not the fastest back on the team. He is OK on Special Teams...but I hardly think he can't be replaced.

Does he add something to the team...yes. Is he essential to the 2008 Bengals' success...no. I would rather go with the younger "potential" in this particular case.

This is not a steadfast rule of mine. There are many times that I would vote to take the proven, steady production over someone with the "potential" label. Although in this case, I think the Bengals running game is in a state where we need to get better than average. I vote to ride the "potential" pony until someone shows they can do the job.

I guess this has a lot to do with the fact that I have never really thought Watson was very good.[/quote]

Right now Watson is the only RB on the roster with no "ifs" attached. IF Rudi is 100% healthy after last year, IF Perry can stay healthy for a full season, IF DeDe can pick up blitzes and hold onto the ball, IF Johnson is NFL material...

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='684900' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:53 PM']Right now Watson is the only RB on the roster with no "ifs" attached. IF Rudi is 100% healthy after last year, IF Perry can stay healthy for a full season, IF DeDe can pick up blitzes and hold onto the ball, IF Johnson is NFL material...[/quote]

true

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='684900' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:53 PM']Right now Watson is the only RB on the roster with no "ifs" attached. IF Rudi is 100% healthy after last year, IF Perry can stay healthy for a full season, IF DeDe can pick up blitzes and hold onto the ball, IF Johnson is NFL material...[/quote]

Agreed. But with Watson - what we "know" is that he is not good enough to be a feature back. If Rudi goes down, and If Perry doesn't stay healthy, and If DeDe can't pick up blitzes...we know the running game is screwed. Watson will not help this cause. Perhaps Johnson could. Will he? Who knows. But we already KNOW that Watson won't.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='684916' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:52 PM']Agreed. But with Watson - what we "know" is that he is not good enough to be a feature back. If Rudi goes down, and If Perry doesn't stay healthy, and If DeDe can't pick up blitzes...we know the running game is screwed. Watson will not help this cause. Perhaps Johnson could. Will he? Who knows. But we already KNOW that Watson won't.[/quote]

We also know that Watson would be servicable and not cost us games if the above events were to happen. He would come in and average 4 yds/carry, pick up blitzes and not fumble the ball. He's a better receiver than Rudi, better blocker than J. Johnson or 3D (not sure about Perry). He would be solid. Not great, not bad, but solid. We'd still be able to run our offense without making too many modifications.

I understand what you're saying, but we need at least one back that can be counted on in worst case scenerios. So IF Perry and Rudi go down, would you rather rely on Watson or Johnson/3D to carry the load? Johnson or 3D might give you a 20 yard gain once a game, but they might not be able to get that crucial 3 and 2 to keep the drive alive. We know Watson can at least do that.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='684916' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:52 PM']Agreed. But with Watson - what we "know" is that he is not good enough to be a feature back. If Rudi goes down, and If Perry doesn't stay healthy, and If DeDe can't pick up blitzes...we know the running game is screwed. Watson will not help this cause. Perhaps Johnson could. Will he? Who knows. But we already KNOW that Watson won't.[/quote]

if we need our # 3 RB to be our feature back then we are fucked. is there a team in the NFL with their # 3 RB worthy of being a feature back?

Watson performed very well last year when asked. If he started the entire year there's no doubt in my mind he would have had over 1000 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns.

He's the only sure thing at running back we got right now until Rudi and Perry prove themselves.

Archived