Reviewed Ghiaciuc's play v Packers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I closely reviewed all four series with Carson in the game and Ghiaciuc played VERY WELL. His man never got close to Palmer on any of the nine passes, and Eric got good push off the line on every running play. In fact the best runs were all straight up the middle. he dominated in the TD drive where we ran the ball straight up the middle 6 times for gains between 6 and 15 yds.

The one play wher he appeared to look bad actually wasn't his fault at all. It was a sweep designed to go wide and Eric doubled down on the tackle just like he was supposed. However the lead blockers outside got stuffed in the backfield so Kenny watson had to plant hard and cut back toward the middle. A backside LB shooting the gap flew by Ghiaciuc, but Eric was not supposed to block him. The LB would never even have been a factor if the play had gone wide as designed.

I didn't have time to watch the rest of the game just to concentrate on the center, but I saw enough to know that everyone who said Eric got manhandled on every play doesn't know much about football.

So anyone who wants to bash Eric please point out a specific play and I will go back and look at it.

what fucking retards said he got manhandled? i'll admit ive just been popping on here at random to check on things, i also realize the amount of time i spend here is directly tied to what city im in...or state... ohio = all fucking day... palm coast florida resort = only when someone is watching BS on tv between being at pool or beach.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='687200' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:01 AM']--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I closely reviewed all four series with Carson in the game and Ghiaciuc played VERY WELL. His man never got close to Palmer on any of the nine passes, and Eric got good push off the line on every running play. In fact the best runs were all straight up the middle. he dominated in the TD drive where we ran the ball straight up the middle 6 times for gains between 6 and 15 yds.

The one play wher he appeared to look bad actually wasn't his fault at all. It was a sweep designed to go wide and Eric doubled down on the tackle just like he was supposed. However the lead blockers outside got stuffed in the backfield so Kenny watson had to plant hard and cut back toward the middle. A backside LB shooting the gap flew by Ghiaciuc, but Eric was not supposed to block him. The LB would never even have been a factor if the play had gone wide as designed.

I didn't have time to watch the rest of the game just to concentrate on the center, but I saw enough to know that everyone who said Eric got manhandled on every play doesn't know much about football.

So anyone who wants to bash Eric please point out a specific play and I will go back and look at it.[/quote]

I went back and wastched the highlights. Obviously its a skewed perception (only see the good plays) but Bluto looked solid in all 3. In general, I was very impressed that Palmer only got touched once the entire time he was in there (and that was a borderline late hit IMO). Definately looking for a solid year from the line this year.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='687205' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:12 AM']what fucking retards said he got manhandled?[/quote]

I don't know if I can come up with a direct quote regarding the Packer game, but ther have been A LOT of posts about how he is horrible and consistently got manhandled on every play last year.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='687208' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:15 AM']I don't know if I can come up with a direct quote regarding the Packer game, but ther have been A LOT of posts about how he is horrible and consistently got manhandled on every play last year.[/quote]

ah, fair enough, he did get tore up a lot last year, but neck and thumb injury had a bit to do with it...

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='687407' date='Aug 13 2008, 07:58 PM']this is great to read, i really didnt pay much attention to him given the fact that it was the first game and there was too many other people to check out

any info on the backup linemen?/[/quote]

I didn't watch to them closely, but I know the o-line didn't give up a sack all night, and I only actually remember 1 knockdown.

ctrent:

[quote]Massive Grande
Thursday, August 14, 2008, 07:29 PM EST [Bengals]

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Bobbie Williams at center, Stacy Andrews and Andrew Whitworth at guard and Levi Jones and Willie Anderson at tackle.

It's still an "emergency" thing, everyone says.

But with backup center Dan Santucci out, that emergency lineup will likely take the field at some point on Sunday in the Bengals' preseason game against the Detroit Lions.

That's a combined listed weight of 1,664 pounds.

"Massive grande," said Williams, accompanied by his own massive grande laugh. "Massive grande."

Rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley calls that lineup "unstoppable."

Offensive line coach and assistant head coach Paul Alexander hears the combined listed weight and adds, "it's a little bigger than that."

Alexander has called it the "Jurassic Line."

1,664 pounds.

"I'm sticking with what's listed," Williams said.

1,664 pounds -- massive grande indeed.

It's so tempting, seems so natural, so perfect.

Not so fast says Alexander.

"You've got to temper the testosterone on that one a little bit," Alexander said. "Because yeah, you look at it, it's huge. But playing center isn't something that you just do."

Even though they don't get the credit or headlines, linemen have to be the most cerebral of players and the center is just that, the core of the line. The center makes all the calls and positions the line. See the center pointing before a play starts? He's not picking out the chick in Section 117. That's OK, she's probably wearing the jersey of a quarterback or receiver or even a kicker.

A center has to do that, and then do the most basic of lineman skills -- keep his quarterback alive. Williams feels he can do that if needed and expects to do so Sunday.

"We want to first make sure they progress through some steps and you feel good enough about them, where they can do some of the things they need to do, both snap the ball and then block a guy that's either on them or moving in front of them," Marvin Lewis said.

Alexander pointed to veteran Mike Goff, who played center some in 2003, but had troubles in the transition before signing with San Diego before the next season.

Eric Ghiaciuc started all 12 games last season and 13 of the 15 games in 2006. He's still the starter, Lewis, Alexander, Anderson and Williams all reiterated.

"I'm right guard, Ghiaciuc is center, but like I said, injuries do happen," Williams said.

Santucci is out for the foreseeable future and at the start of Wednesday's practice at Georgetown, Whitworth and Williams were with the centers practicing snaps with the quarterbacks, and Alexander told them, "this is permanent duty."

"We're not sold on who the backup will be," Alexander said. "Will it be (Kyle) Cook or Bobbie or Whitworth or we don’t know."

Moving Whitworth or Williams would allow Anderson to get back as a starter, something Anderson said is going to happen.

"I'm not a backup-slash-nothing, I'm going to be playing when the season starts," Anderson said.

Anderson is listed as the second-team right tackle, a position he manned for so many years in stripes. Anderson said he's not ready to be put out to pasture.

"After '05 they told me I was done, until the good Lord wants me to stop, I'm not going to stop," Anderson said. "Every time I've been written off because of age or injury -- would I play the same at 30? I did. Would I play the same at 31? I did. Would I play the same at 32? I took a hit to my knee and missed a lot of games. No, I'll go out there, whichever lineup I'm in, my job is to play hard, show everybody that I'm healthy and be like I have the last 13 seasons."

That's fine by Alexander. The Jurassic Line my make his job a little tougher dealing with the
media after games, it could make things easier during games.

"We've got six really good offensive lineman," Alexander said. "If we had five, I wouldn't have to answer these questions. But I'd rather have to answer these questions and go in with six good players."

Massive grande.[/quote]

Archived