How bad are the 08 Bengals?

I just read something online that this was the worst offensive showing since the Akili led Bengals. Ah, those were great days.. Remember when he beat those expansion Browns in his first start and we thought he might actually be good??

Good times, good times.

So I'm wondering how bad this could be. Klingler bad? Akili bad? Blake was such a selfish player, but without him these would be the Los Angeles Bengals, so I prefer to not compare him to the others.

I think it's time everyone quits saying this team has talent. Chad and TJ are nearing 30 years of age. Bengal receivers are historically terrible at that magical age. The OLine is terrible. Carson did not look confident at all, and I cannot blame him. If you can't block 5 rushers with 5 OLineman than you suck, plain and simple.

The coaching is terrible. I thought for a second I was going to see LeBeau or Shula on the sideline.

And for those of you who are going to say it's early I say 2005 was an aberration. Marvin brought in NFL quality players and did the best with what he was given, but one winning season and no playoff victories since Paul Brown died speaks for itself.

I don't know why people on this board get so bent out of shape and call people names for knowing the Bengals are terrible. It's comical. They are the Cubs of the NFL. They are made fun of on every highlight show, radio show, web site and blog. And I have embraced it!

Join me fellow brethren. The Bengals suck again! And here is the proof you need:
1. The Bengals will rush for less than 60 total yards against Tennessee, and lose by more than 10 points. Hayensworth will KILL our center. Brown will rush for 200 yards against our soft run D.
2. The Ravens will go down to Houston and get beat as well. They will make Flacco look like a rookie.

Viva La Bengals!!

not that I'm saying we'll compare to either, but the Browns lost 34-0 in their opening game last year, and the Giants fans were trying to fire their head coach as late as midseason.

If you're trying to insinuate that 2 pro bowl receivers just magically suck now (and you are), well you're more of a fucking idiot than anyone can imagine.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698460' date='Sep 8 2008, 06:47 PM']not that I'm saying we'll compare to either, but the Browns lost 34-0 in their opening game last year, and the Giants fans were trying to fire their head coach as late as midseason.

If you're trying to insinuate that 2 pro bowl receivers just magically suck now (and you are), well you're more of a fucking idiot than anyone can imagine.[/quote]
You bring up a good point about the Browns and Giants last year. The Browns looked like they did not belong on an NFL field. Until they played the Bengals that is.. :)

And you don't need to call people names. Come on over to the dark side. Embrace the suck.

And they aren't two pro bowl receivers anymore. TJ has a bad hamstring, and Chad has a bad wing which means he won't be running a slant or in anytime soon.

Seriously, why can't you make your points without cursing?

[quote name='mgbrown66' post='698461' date='Sep 8 2008, 06:50 PM']You bring up a good point about the Browns and Giants last year. The Browns looked like they did not belong on an NFL field. Until they played the Bengals that is.. :)

And you don't need to call people names. Come on over to the dark side. Embrace the suck.

And they aren't two pro bowl receivers anymore. TJ has a bad hamstring, and Chad has a bad wing which means he won't be running a slant or in anytime soon.

Seriously, why can't you make your points without cursing?[/quote]

seriously you can't make a post without being stupid?

Chad and TJ have been practicing fully for more than a week. TJ's been running full sprints and the hammy is not an issue anymore. Maybe you missed that memo. Chad, we'll see what happens when he gets more than 2 balls thrown his way. One things for sure, neither is the reason we lost yesterday. That's all besides the point, considering you didn't even bring up injuries and tried to say that they suck now based on their age. Nice attempted spin though. I also liked how you dodged the Giants comment. Kudos :applause:

As bad as they looked, last I checked it was just 0-1. Maybe you missed that memo. I think I'll reserve judgment for at least 1 more game, especially since its against a team we beat 35-6 last year with that crappy oline, who hasn't really gotten that much better since last year, and who, while they have a very good defense, isn't nearly as tough a defense as the one we just played.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698465' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:00 PM']seriously you can't make a post without being stupid?

Chad and TJ have been practicing fully for more than a week. TJ's been running full sprints and the hammy is not an issue anymore. Maybe you missed that memo. Chad, we'll see what happens when he gets more than 2 balls thrown his way. One things for sure, neither is the reason we lost yesterday. That's all besides the point, considering you didn't even bring up injuries and tried to say that they suck now based on their age. Nice attempted spin though. I also liked how you dodged the Giants comment. Kudos :applause:

As bad as they looked, last I checked it was just 0-1. Maybe you missed that memo. I think I'll reserve judgment for at least 1 more game, especially since its against a team we beat 35-6 last year with that crappy oline, who hasn't really gotten that much better since last year, and who, while they have a very good defense, isn't nearly as tough a defense as the one we just played.[/quote]

Honestly, 1181 you have become really abrasive and unpleasant lately...whats the deal?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698465' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:00 PM']seriously you can't make a post without being stupid?

As bad as they looked, last I checked it was just 0-1. Maybe you missed that memo. I think I'll reserve judgment for at least 1 more game, especially since its against a team we beat 35-6 last year with that crappy oline, who hasn't really gotten that much better since last year, and who, while they have a very good defense, isn't nearly as tough a defense as the one we just played.[/quote]

I didn't miss the memos tough guy, I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was terrible yesterday. If he can't come in to minicamps and get work like everyone else and you wouldn't know he was on the field, then how can you call him a pro bowler? He was the beneficiary of every defense being scared of 85. He is a possession receiver who runs nice routes. The NFL is littered with guys like this if they have a qb who can put the ball in tight spaces. The Bengals know this, which is why he was never awarded a#1 receiver market value contract.

This teams stinks. It will stink most of the year, and then they will do the dead cat bounce and win 6 of their last 7 when they are way out of contention. Then fat contracts will be awarded to people who dont deserve it, rinse repeat.

BENGAL-IZED!

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='698469' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:05 PM']Honestly, 1181 you have become really abrasive and unpleasant lately...whats the deal?[/quote]

I've been pretty good lately. :P Some on here seem to think that the internet gives them the excuse to act like dumbfucks, wish death on other people, and just say stupid shit. People can claim "heat of the moment" or whatever they like, but its just a lame excuse. Blurting it out at the bar after you've had a few? OK, to physically get on the internet and write it, you've got issues. I'm no saint, but it's ridiculous what some think being some anonymous face on the internet gives them the right to say and do. Its part of the reason our society's going down the shitter as the behavior transfer over into the real world. But that's a discussion for another day and another forum.

As for this thread well, some have been shitting on the team for far longer than yesterday. Shit on the team for the right reasons, cool. Make up stupid shit like our two pro bowl WR's now magically suck because of one game where they got a combined 5 balls thrown to them? I'm gonna call you on the carpet for it, just as I would expect anyone to do if I made an asinine comment like that.

It's like the Mike Brown argument. Do I think he's some great owner? Hell no, but blame him for what's his fault, not what isn't. The 2006 choke job? The team's fault. Rash of injuries at LB? Not Mike's fault. There's plenty of things he's done wrong as an owner and as I've said he can certainly do some things to increase our margin of error, but IMO he's not to blame for the last 2 yrs. Blame him for 1990-2002? Sure and I'll be right there with ya.

I just think its silly to say the season's over after one game, especially after how yesterday was a fucked up day for many teams, and the patriots showed how quickly anyone's season can change. Did we play like shit? Yep, but its also fair to point out we were playing against a top 5 defense on the road in a loud stadium. Should we have still played better? You betcha, but let's not ignore that just because Baltimore as a whole is a bad team that their defense is just a bunch of chumps. Let's play a home game before we throw in the towel.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698474' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:15 PM']I've been pretty good lately. :P Some on here seem to think that the internet gives them the excuse to act like dumbfucks, wish death on other people, and just say stupid shit. People can claim "heat of the moment" or whatever they like, but its just a lame excuse. Blurting it out at the bar after you've had a few? OK, to physically get on the internet and write it, you've got issues. I'm no saint, but it's ridiculous what some think being some anonymous face on the internet gives them the right to say and do. Its part of the reason our society's going down the shitter as the behavior transfer over into the real world. But that's a discussion for another day and another forum.

As for this thread well, some have been shitting on the team for far longer than yesterday. Shit on the team for the right reasons, cool. Make up stupid shit like our two pro bowl WR's now magically suck because of one game where they got a combined 5 balls thrown to them? I'm gonna call you on the carpet for it, just as I would expect anyone to do if I made an asinine comment like that.

It's like the Mike Brown argument. Do I think he's some great owner? Hell no, but blame him for what's his fault, not what isn't. The 2006 choke job? The team's fault. Rash of injuries at LB? Not Mike's fault. There's plenty of things he's done wrong as an owner and as I've said he can certainly do some things to increase our margin of error, but IMO he's not to blame for the last 2 yrs. Blame him for 1990-2002? Sure and I'll be right there with ya.[/quote]

My point is...why get yourself so worked up about it....

Opinions are like ass holes....if ya catch my drift....there is a lot of frustration in Bengal land right now and the "here we go again" feeling is back and people are upset.

Honestly, I think we should just have one vent thread after every game that people can blow off steam without the rancor of other posters.......just a thought.

My point is...just don't lower yourself to BJ's and a few other posters levels with the name calling...it just isn't needed.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='698475' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:19 PM']My point is...why get yourself so worked up about it....

Opinions are like ass holes....if ya catch my drift....there is a lot of frustration in Bengal land right now and the "here we go again" feeling is back and people are upset.

Honestly, I think we should just have one vent thread after every game that people can blow off steam without the rancor of other posters.......just a thought.

My point is...just don't lower yourself to BJ's and a few other posters levels with the name calling...it just isn't needed.[/quote]

'eh I'm not worked up over it. Even losses, you learn to brush off. As big of a Bengals fan as I am, what they do on Sunday's doesn't control my life or my emotions. 5 minutes after the game I was playing and laughing with my daughter. I just think its asinine that 5 hours after the game is over you have people saying "oh man, I hope mike brown chokes on his daughters cock!!!! Yea!!!!" Seriously, you're still that upset 5 hours after the game?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698474' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:15 PM']As for this thread well, some have been shitting on the team for far longer than yesterday. Shit on the team for the right reasons, cool. Make up stupid shit like our two pro bowl WR's now magically suck because of one game where they got a combined 5 balls thrown to them? I'm gonna call you on the carpet for it, just as I would expect anyone to do if I made an asinine comment like that.

I just think its silly to say the season's over after one game, especially after how yesterday was a fucked up day for many teams, and the patriots showed how quickly anyone's season can change. Did we play like shit? Yep, but its also fair to point out we were playing against a top 5 defense on the road in a loud stadium. Should we have still played better? You betcha, but let's not ignore that just because Baltimore as a whole is a bad team that their defense is just a bunch of chumps. Let's play a home game before we throw in the towel.[/quote]

I'm saying the season is over after 4 preseason games, and 1 regular season game that was more of the same. That Marvin and Mike Brown are NOT on the same page anymore. Because 85 is playing with a torn labrum, our OLine is terrible, and our franchise qb looks like a deer in the headlights. They started the year 2-6 last year and I see nothing to tell me they will be any better this year. In fact, because of the schedule it will probably be worse.

Maybe that's my opinion, but everyone has a right to their own opinion.

You make good points when you aren't cursing. I understand you have more patience for this team than I do. I'm probably in the Paul Daugherty camp anymore. I have watched all these games since the mid 80's, I have personally augtographed Munoz and Esiason jerseys in my bedroom, but I just don't have the optimism I had the last 4 years. It's just not there.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698479' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:23 PM']'eh I'm not worked up over it. Even losses, you learn to brush off. As big of a Bengals fan as I am, what they do on Sunday's doesn't control my life or my emotions. 5 minutes after the game I was playing and laughing with my daughter. I just think its asinine that 5 hours after the game is over you have people saying "oh man, I hope mike brown chokes on his daughters cock!!!! Yea!!!!" Seriously, you're still that upset 5 hours after the game?[/quote]

The only thing I get upset about is I have a lot of money invested in this team(product)......lol

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698479' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:23 PM']'eh I'm not worked up over it. Even losses, you learn to brush off. As big of a Bengals fan as I am, what they do on Sunday's doesn't control my life or my emotions. 5 minutes after the game I was playing and laughing with my daughter. I just think its asinine that 5 hours after the game is over you have people saying "oh man, I hope mike brown chokes on his daughters cock!!!! Yea!!!!" Seriously, you're still that upset 5 hours after the game?[/quote]

Haha. Those people I will never understand. I see each bengal game anymore like a sick fetish. I enjoy watching us lose. When you live with pain so long it becomes a part of you!

Unfortunately the Reds are starting to do the same thing to me.

[quote name='mgbrown66' post='698485' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:35 PM']Haha. Those people I will never understand. I see each bengal game anymore like a sick fetish. [b]I enjoy watching us lose.[/b] When you live with pain so long it becomes a part of you!

Unfortunately the Reds are starting to do the same thing to me.[/quote]

ooooooooooooooooooook... so why do you hang out on a bengals message board if you aren't really a fan?

You won't find a bigger Bengals fan than myself. I'm just so used to them being bad that I'm numb to it. It doesn't mean I dont care. I want to discuss the ineptitude.

Case in point:

I remember reading posts at the beginning of camp. They were like "It's third and two. Perry, Utect, 85, TJ, Henry all on the field. Who are you going to double? This team has too many weapons!!11!1!"

Well I think Sunday just showed how you defend that. You can rush 4 people and manhandle our oline, or you can just defend the shovel pass.

Did we ever gain 8 yards on first and second down yesterday??

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='698474' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:15 PM']I've been pretty good lately. :P Some on here seem to think that the internet gives them the excuse to act like dumbfucks, wish death on other people, and just say stupid shit. People can claim "heat of the moment" or whatever they like, but its just a lame excuse. Blurting it out at the bar after you've had a few? OK, to physically get on the internet and write it, you've got issues. I'm no saint, but it's ridiculous what some think being some anonymous face on the internet gives them the right to say and do. Its part of the reason our society's going down the shitter as the behavior transfer over into the real world. But that's a discussion for another day and another forum.

It's like the Mike Brown argument. Do I think he's some great owner? Hell no, but blame him for what's his fault, not what isn't. The 2006 choke job? The team's fault. Rash of injuries at LB? Not Mike's fault. There's plenty of things he's done wrong as an owner and as I've said he can certainly do some things to increase our margin of error, but IMO he's not to blame for the last 2 yrs. Blame him for 1990-2002? Sure and I'll be right there with ya.

I just think its silly to say the season's over after one game, especially after how yesterday was a fucked up day for many teams, and the patriots showed how quickly anyone's season can change. Did we play like shit? Yep, but its also fair to point out we were playing against a top 5 defense on the road in a loud stadium. Should we have still played better? You betcha, but let's not ignore that just because Baltimore as a whole is a bad team that their defense is just a bunch of chumps. Let's play a home game before we throw in the towel.[/quote]
lol

WOW
I mean...Wow

If this does continue a couple more games I am going to hope for blowouts (just like the 90s) so MB will have no choice to change. I don't think Marvin is the guy to get it done. I said after our 8-8 season if Marvin didn't get this team playing right he should be in the hot seat. He comes out and gives us a 7-9 season. I know it's only the 1st game, but we lost to the Ravens with a rookie QB and Coach against ALL of our starters (besides maybe CN).

I actually got a breath of fresh air last night. Not sure if you Eastern Timers got to watch the Broncos and Raiders last night, but the Raiders are in much worse shape. They are pathetic, yes, that is coming from someone who just suffered through a Bengals loss. I believe that the Raiders are far and away the worst team in the league.

Trying to find a bright spot.

[quote name='CO Bengal' post='698610' date='Sep 9 2008, 09:25 AM']I actually got a breath of fresh air last night. Not sure if you Eastern Timers got to watch the Broncos and Raiders last night, but the Raiders are in much worse shape. They are pathetic, yes, that is coming from someone who just suffered through a Bengals loss. I believe that the Raiders are far and away the worst team in the league.

Trying to find a bright spot.[/quote]

We suck less than the Raiders!!!!

As far as the "what about the Giants last season" at the top of the thread, the Giants defense got them to the playoffs and there is NO WAY you can compare our defense to theirs.

Also, great players, particularly WRs, get open. Chad did not get open against double coverage much. TO, Randy Moss and Marvin Harrision somehow do. Also, it doesn't matter if you have two great receivers if the O line cant block. Even if the o line improves and we score more, our defensive line was practically non existent and I don't think they have the talent to get any better. Its just not there.

Our Linebackes are our only hope to save the season from a defensive standpoint as they have talent.

I won't make a prediction or proclaim they suck until week 6 is in the books. The first game is what it is.

[quote name='SF2' post='698627' date='Sep 9 2008, 09:17 AM']We suck less than the Raiders!!!!

As far as the "what about the Giants last season" at the top of the thread, the Giants defense got them to the playoffs and there is NO WAY you can compare our defense to theirs.

Also, great players, particularly WRs, get open. Chad did not get open against double coverage much. TO, Randy Moss and Marvin Harrision somehow do. Also, it doesn't matter if you have two great receivers if the O line cant block. Even if the o line improves and we score more, [b]our defensive line was practically non existent and I don't think they have the talent to get any better. Its just not there.[/b]

[b]Our Linebackes are our only hope to save the season from a defensive standpoint as they have talent.[/b]

I won't make a prediction or proclaim they suck until week 6 is in the books. The first game is what it is.[/quote]

I do think we have some young talent at DT that needs time to mature.

Archived