Levi Jones (El Matador)

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='703928' date='Sep 21 2008, 03:40 PM']El Matador is an excellent suggestion. How does one say "turnstyle" in Spanish. Then again, the Giants have a way of making many o-linemen look bad.[/quote]

He looked like he had rollerskates on for most of the game. He whiffed on 2 blocks on 1 play.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='703963' date='Sep 21 2008, 04:52 PM']Why not Levi to LG where his poor movement wont be as much of a liability and then Whitworth to LT.[/quote]

That may not be a terrible idea. DOubt they do it though. Would be paying way too much for a LG. At any rate, after Levi got owned by Allen last year, he stepped up and played well, so maybe it is a sign of things to come.

A few years ago the Bengals were figthing for a playoff spot. It was Marvin's first or 2nd year. A couple of weeks prior to the the end of the season we had two starters go down with knee injuries. Both guys were commended for putting the team first, getting quick surgeory and coming back to play in a matter of a few days in an attempt to get the Bengals to the playoffs.

A UC Bearcat basketball player at the time was publicly critized for not doing the same thing even though he was not a pro player.

One could say that Peter Warrick never really made it back even though he stayed in the NFL another year or two. The other guy was a shut down LT that blanked nearly every one of the leagues top rushers at the time. That LT has not been the same since. That LT is Levi Jones.

Yes, Levi got owned, yes Levi may need as this is a what have you done lately business

[quote name='cwing' post='704030' date='Sep 21 2008, 07:55 PM']A few years ago the Bengals were figthing for a playoff spot. It was Marvin's first or 2nd year. A couple of weeks prior to the the end of the season we had two starters go down with knee injuries. Both guys were commended for putting the team first, getting quick surgeory and coming back to play in a matter of a few days in an attempt to get the Bengals to the playoffs.

A UC Bearcat basketball player at the time was publicly critized for not doing the same thing even though he was not a pro player.

One could say that Peter Warrick never really made it back even though he stayed in the NFL another year or two. The other guy was a shut down LT that blanked nearly every one of the leagues top rushers at the time. That LT has not been the same since. That LT is Levi Jones.

Yes, Levi got owned, yes Levi may need as this is a what have you done lately business[/quote]

So true. Levi has not been the same since the knee injury. He WAS an excellent left left tackle before his injury contrary to what some may believe. Its the nature of this game and unfortunately, we seem to get more of it than our fair share.

You can't blame Mike Brown for resigning him. He was an excellent player before the injury.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='704039' date='Sep 21 2008, 07:31 PM']or did something with the cap savings. -_-[/quote]

It really makes me feel like this is going to be a rebuilding year.... Get the high draft pick and work with the cap in the off season... I guess if any silver lining could be seen, it would be that we can still have our "core" players in the their prime for another shot at it.

[quote][size=5][b]O-line struggles[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]A stench emanates from the trench on Bengals' side[/b][/size]
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • September 22, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The biggest disappointment of the new season for the Bengals, among more than a few, has been the play of the offensive line.

There was a measure of redemption reached Sunday at Giants Stadium in the 26-23 overtime loss to New York. But problems persist in a mixed-bag performance.

A problem evident since the preseason, pass protection, hit a new low. The Bengals allowed six sacks, and quarterback Carson Palmer had a big bruise across his brow after the game. Add that bruise to the list of physical evidence that includes a broken nose and sprained ankle.

The Bengals have allowed nine sacks in three games after giving up a single-season franchise low 17 in 2007. Palmer said the game plan Sunday consisted of pass plays designed for him to throw the ball quickly.

There were two false start penalties called on left tackle Levi Jones. Center Eric Ghiaciuc and Palmer botched a snap, and Palmer was called for a delay penalty.

The good: the Bengals gained 24 first downs, more than the 19 they had compiled in the first two games combined. The offense scored 23 points, compared to just 10 in the first two games.

And, at times, against a strong run defense, the Bengals opened big holes for tailback Chris Perry. He ran 20 times for 74 yards and went 25 yards for a first-half touchdown. Perry's touchdown run was the longest for the Bengals since Rudi Johnson ran 36 yards for a score Oct. 25, 2004 against Denver on Monday night.

At the same time, the Bengals rushed 27 times for 102 yards - and their second-leading rusher was Palmer, who scrambled three times for 23 times.

Right guard Bobbie Williams remains optimistic.

"There's nothing but upside," he said of he and his fellow linemen.

"We're just going to keep learning from what we're doing and gaining momentum - just got to keep trying to get better."

[b]Getting to the QB[/b]
A look at the number of sacks the Bengals have allowed this season and in each season during the Marvin Lewis era:

[b]SACKS THIS SEASON[/b]

Game Sacks allowed
vs. Ravens 2
vs. Titans 1
at Giants 6
Total 9

[b]SACKS IN THE LEWIS ERA[/b]

Year Sacks allowed
2007 17
2206 36
2005 21
2004 31
2003 37
Average 28.4[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080922/SPT02/809220369/1066"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../809220369/1066[/url]

yeah, to go from preseason optimism to this just stinks. We were debating which line up, pre Willie release, would be the best combination. The Ghia-pet critics were justified, but the other four positions too!?

I know that lines take a long time to gel and ours hasn't been working as a regular unit since 2005, but we all though the talent was there.

I guess my question would be: Is Levi done? or has he dropped into mediocre starter territory? The knee combined with 3 brutal defenses thus far, I guess I'd cut him some slack.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='704178' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:29 AM'][url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080922/SPT02/809220369/1066"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../809220369/1066[/url][/quote]

[quote]Center Eric Ghiaciuc and Palmer botched a snap,[/quote]

While it looked pretty stupid, it appeared to me a Giant player jumped offsides and Ghiaciuc snapped trying to catch him offsides. Palmer wasn't ready for it. Unless they are talking about the ball he rolled to Palmer in the shotgun.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='704293' date='Sep 22 2008, 12:32 PM']While it looked pretty stupid, it appeared to me a Giant player jumped offsides and Ghiaciuc snapped trying to catch him offsides. Palmer wasn't ready for it. Unless they are talking about the ball he rolled to Palmer in the shotgun.[/quote]

exactly how I saw it. It seems the protocol for Bluto is to snap it as soon as they jump. In this case, Palmer had his head turned to talk to the RB and didn't see the guy jump and was thus not ready for the ball.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='704302' date='Sep 22 2008, 12:59 PM']exactly how I saw it. It seems the protocol for Bluto is to snap it as soon as they jump.[/quote]

Can anyone with Sunday Ticket verify if any other teams do this?

I thought since it was a free play when defense is offsides, you take a shot for the endzone or whatever. Kneeling and just taking the penalty seems like a waste of a free play to me.

Or maybe this is how they do it around the NFL now?

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='704309' date='Sep 22 2008, 01:05 PM']Can anyone with Sunday Ticket verify if any other teams do this?

I thought since it was a free play when defense is offsides, you take a shot for the endzone or whatever. Kneeling and just taking the penalty seems like a waste of a free play to me.

Or maybe this is how they do it around the NFL now?[/quote]

well if the guy jumps and no one else on offense starts going then carson wont really be able to hit someone. usually the throwing it deep happens more when the guy jumps offsides just as they are snapping the ball because then everyone is going. i like the knee because it stops carson from possibly being hit because no one is ready to go since it wasnt time to actually snap it.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='704313' date='Sep 22 2008, 01:08 PM']well if the guy jumps and no one else on offense starts going then carson wont really be able to hit someone. usually the throwing it deep happens more when the guy jumps offsides just as they are snapping the ball because then everyone is going. i like the knee because it stops carson from possibly being hit because no one is ready to go since it wasnt time to actually snap it.[/quote]

I feel like I watch my fair share of games on NFL Replay, and I have never seen another team do this. I was wondering if this is because NFL Replay tends to trim the games up a bit, or if its because the Bengals are the only ones doing it.

Archived