I thought he looked good in his limited characters...

He looked fast...

He had great change of direction...

He was much more powerful than Perry...

...and most importantly.... [b]HE DID NOT FUMBLE!![/b]

I am hoping with more time on the offense he can catch his groove and be our RB of the future so it is one less need we have next season.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='709896' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:18 PM']I thought he looked good in his limited characters...

He looked fast...

He had great change of direction...

He was much more powerful than Perry...

...and most importantly.... [b]HE DID NOT FUMBLE!![/b]

I am hoping with more time on the offense he can catch his groove and be our RB of the future so it is one less need we have next season.[/quote]

This RB job should be Cedric's to lose. Let him know to live at the stadium and in his playbook and let him have the starting gig. Perry is way too much of a liability and hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire when he does manage to hang on to the ball. Benson hit the hole w/ a purpose and didn't show hesitation even though it would have been understandable if he was a little unsure in his first game.

This team is not playing nearly well enough to make up for continued Perry fumbles, nor should it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='709911' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:25 PM']not to mention, I like it when they line Perry up as a WR. IMO they should make an effort to do a better job of getting him in open space, like they have been doing (successfully) with Chatman.[/quote]

I like when they sit Perry and put in anyone else. The guy can't hold onto the ball so he is useless.

[quote name='SF2' post='709924' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:31 PM']I like when they sit Perry and put in anyone else. The guy can't hold onto the ball so he is useless.[/quote]

yep, that's the spirit! I'm no more a fan of the fumbles as anyone else, but to say he's useless completely kills the credibility of your post. Put him in space and up against DB's. The fumbles are happening when you try to make him a bruiser in the middle. Get him on the edges and let him make people miss.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='709928' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:33 PM']yep, that's the spirit! I'm no more a fan of the fumbles as anyone else, but to say he's useless completely kills the credibility of your post. Put him in space and up against DB's. The fumbles are happening when you try to make him a bruiser in the middle. Get him on the edges and let him make people miss.[/quote]

Get him to the edges???? So thats your strategy for our starting RB on this team? If he can't run between the tackles he needs to sit on the sidelines. He is nothing more than a situational player and a marginal one at that. We need a real running back. We didn't draft him to work the edges just like New Orleans didn't draft Reggie Bush to do the same. They have Deuce McCallister, we have .... not sure.

[quote name='SF2' post='709938' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:40 PM']Get him to the edges???? So thats your strategy for our starting RB on this team? If he can't run between the tackles he needs to sit on the sidelines. He is nothing more than a situational player and a marginal one at that. We need a real running back. We didn't draft him to work the edges just like New Orleans didn't draft Reggie Bush to do the same. They have Deuce McCallister, we have .... not sure.[/quote]

gawd forbid we get creative with our talent like other teams do! And I'm not talking about him necessarily still being the starter, but there certainly isn't any reason you can't get both he and Benson on the field at the same time. Perry has shown that he can make people miss in open space and has more than proven that he is a capable receiver. Use that to your advantage. What's the worse that could happen at this point?

Perry's just a work in progress, IMO, though obviously the fumbling is very disturbing. I don't think he's as sharp/aware on cuts yet, either. Agree w/1181 that he's at his best in open space.

Benson runs low with good body lean, and he can get YAC, so he's Rudi-like in that way.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='709949' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:44 PM']gawd forbid we get creative with our talent like other teams do! And I'm not talking about him necessarily still being the starter, but there certainly isn't any reason you can't get both he and Benson on the field at the same time. Perry has shown that he can make people miss in open space and has more than proven that he is a capable receiver. Use that to your advantage. What's the worse that could happen at this point?[/quote]

talk about whats the worst that could happen, why the fuck aren't we going for it on 4th and 1 ? they did on 4th and 4 and got a TD!!! thats coaching fault big time though.

[quote name='texbengal' post='709951' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:46 PM']Perry's just a work in progress, IMO, though obviously the fumbling is very disturbing. I don't think he's as sharp/aware on cuts yet, either. Agree w/1181 that he's at his best in open space.

Benson runs low with good body lean, and he can get YAC, so he's Rudi-like in that way.[/quote]
You mean Rudi-like in 2004-05. Not after.

[quote name='Smellkiperjr' post='709952' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:47 PM']Perry's a classic 3rd down back, he's just not suited to pounding it up the middle. I hope Benson emerges as the main runner so Perry can spot him on 3rd downs.[/quote]
I totally agree. Even after one game, Benson just looks the part and Perry's too busy trying to shift his weight rather than lean through the meager holes the offensive line is giving. Perry needs time to get himself squared upfield before he can make moves. Benson is a typical bruiser with an apparent eye for taking what is given by the defense.

Perry even holds the ball like an outside, change-of-pace back. The bruisers who run up the middle cradle the ball and have quick instincts to add the second hand for security upon contact. Outside runners like Perry seem to hold the ball more loosely which allows them more arm movement but seriously impedes ball security.

For all Rudi's issues, the one thing he never suffered from was fumbling. I think I took that forgranted. God it's deflating to have a momentum changing drive halted by a fumble.

I just hope Lewis doesn't get another case of the misdirected loyalty he suffered from in 2007 with Rudi and Watson. He needs to see that Perry's Mr. Outside and Benson's Mr. Inside and make the adjustments instead of claiming the O-line blocked better for Benson...........

[quote name='Smellkiperjr' post='709981' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:58 PM']Perry even holds the ball like an outside, change-of-pace back. The bruisers who run up the middle cradle the ball and have quick instincts to add the second hand for security upon contact. Outside runners like Perry seem to hold the ball more loosely which allows them more arm movement but seriously impedes ball security.

For all Rudi's issues, the one thing he never suffered from was fumbling. I think I took that forgranted. God it's deflating to have a momentum changing drive halted by a fumble.

I just hope Lewis doesn't get another case of the misdirected loyalty he suffered from in 2007 with Rudi and Watson. He needs to see that Perry's Mr. Outside and Benson's Mr. Inside and make the adjustments instead of claiming the O-line blocked better for Benson...........[/quote]
Rudi actually got some fumbleaya in him in 2006...it wasn't a fumble a game like Perry, but more than we'd come to expect from him.

And I don't think I've ever heard Marvin claim that the oline "blocks better" for one back versus another. It's more of a case of the oline being worse than we hoped and having a different person come in and see things develop differently and adjust their hole-hitting accordingly.

Benson looked good for sure but the key thing is that it will take time for him to learn the pass blocking. Notice that on every play that he was in, we ran the ball. I'm disappointed by Perry for sure, mostly because of 2 plays: the fumble, and a missed cutback where he had a huge hole (as Phil Simms pointed out). Chris Perry should continue to play a very important role in our offense.

[quote name='SlantNGo' post='709986' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:09 PM']Benson looked good for sure but the key thing is that it will take time for him to learn the pass blocking. Notice that on every play that he was in, we ran the ball. I'm disappointed by Perry for sure, mostly because of 2 plays: the fumble, and a missed cutback where he had a huge hole (as Phil Simms pointed out). Chris Perry should continue to play a very important role in our offense.[/quote]
I don't think we should bench the guy, but I don't want to see him running too many more plays up the gut anymore. The blocking may be bad or not, but Perry isn't the kind of powerful back that's needed to make something out of nothing, and Benson appears to be that guy.

It's only one game, but Benson looked pretty good. Of course, as soon as he did, the coaching staff benched him for fear he might even do better.

We can't have that. If we're down, we need to throw it on every down in order to win. We've got the QB and WR's to do it. Fuck, Henry's back, he would have won the game himself if we'd just thrown it his way more.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='709983' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:01 PM']Rudi actually got some fumbleaya in him in 2006...it wasn't a fumble a game like Perry, but more than we'd come to expect from him.

And I don't think I've ever heard Marvin claim that the oline "blocks better" for one back versus another. It's more of a case of the oline being worse than we hoped and having a different person come in and see things develop differently and adjust their hole-hitting accordingly.[/quote]

Last year when Watson was doing well and Rudi was still doing his dancing-with-the-stars routine in the backfield Lewis was asked in a press conference why he didn't use Watson more. Lewis responded by saying that Watson was doing better because the line was blocking better for him. It was a classic. I can't believe you don't remember it. It ranked up there with the TD vs 10 men in the field and Lewis claimed the missing man had nothing to do with the TD.

I'll try to find the link

Archived