ROUND 2: Bengals draft Rey Maualuga pick #38 overall

And Akili jumps off a bridge

[img]http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/79852.jpg[/img]

Rey Maualuga ([url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:lb"][color="#364c88"]ILB[/color][/url]) Height: 6'2"Weight: 249College: [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-college/dt-by-college-input:50"][color="#364c88"]Southern Cal[/color][/url]Conference: [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-college/dt-by-conference-input:pac10"][color="#364c88"]Pac 10[/color][/url]Hometown: Eureka, CAHigh School: Eureka[url="http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/rey-maualuga?id=79852"][color="#364c88"]View Combine Page >>[/color][/url]
Combine Results:40 Yard Dash : 4.91 secondsBench Press : 23.0 repsBroad Jump : 83.0 inches

[b]Overview[/b] The three-year starter was called by the coaching staff the "most menacing" linebacker of the Pete Carroll era. By the time he finished playing for USC, Maualuga was the most decorated linebacker to wear a Trojans uniform since Junior Seau roamed the fields for Southern California in the late 1980s. In each of his three seasons as a starter, Maualuga garnered All-American and All-Pac 10 Conference recognition.

During his freshman season as a reserve, the Trojans ranked 31st in the nation in rush defense (130.54 ypg), 48th in total defense (360.92 ypg) and 35th in scoring defense (22.85 ppg). In Maualuga's first year as a starter, Southern California improved to ninth in the nation vs. the run (91.08 ypg), 20th in total defense (295.85 ypg) and 11th in scoring defense (15.15 ppg).

As a junior, USC continued to move up the national charts, finishing fourth vs. the run (84.15 ypg), second in total defense (273.15 ypg) and second in scoring defense (16.0 ppg) in 2007. In his final season, the Trojans allowed just 87.38 yards per game on the ground (fifth in the NCAA), ranking second in the country in total defense (221.77 ypg) while leading the major colleges in scoring defense (9.0 ppg).

"I want to become the player that the offense game-plans around, that the offense fears coming into the game," Maualuga recently stated. The inspiration he draws from his late father, Talatonu, who died just before the 2006 Rose Bowl BCS championship game: "It doesn't hit me as much now as it did, but I use it as inspiration. He's out there in my heart playing with me. Even though he's not here, he's with me spiritually. I've matured a lot lately. That childish player, that person that I was, is long gone. I feel like I've developed a sense of leadership on the team. I've learned the do's and don'ts, and I've realized what's important."

In an article by Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Daily News, he wrote: "Have you seen the play of USC linebacker Rey Maualuga? If you watched the Trojans play, could your eyes possibly avoid him? Does this look like Superman in cardinal and gold or what? He flies to the ball and then hits like a locomotive. Isn't this obviously USC's next superstar? He has given every indication of becoming the ideal middle linebacker. He has the natural size. He has incredible burst. He is powerful and aggressive and uncommonly fast. More than all that, he is also amazingly athletic. He can be a sledgehammer or a ballerina. Dazzle with power or agility. Play with fury and control."

Hall of Fame coach and ESPN's Lou Holtz chimed in, "He's the next great Trojans linebacker, very physical, always lining up big hits. He reminds me of (ex-Ohio State All-American) A.J. Hawk. His athletic ability is similar to Hawk's, but the infectiousness of his free spirit makes him even more valuable to his team."

Maualuga earned Parade, Super Prep, Prep Football Report, Scout.com and EA Sports All-American honors at Eureka High School as a senior in 2004. He was named USA Today All-USA first- team, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team, Student Sports Top 100, Rivals 100, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15 first team and Cal-Hi Sports All-State first team honors that season.

In 2004, Maualuga recorded 96 tackles, including 37 stops for loss, four interceptions, including two that he returned for touchdowns, a pair of fumble recoveries and had one kickoff return for a touchdown. As a junior in 2003, he was a Student Sports Junior All-American and Cal-Hi Sports All-State Underclass first-team pick while posting 146 tackles, 43 for loss, 11 sacks and one interception. Eureka went 20-2-1 during his junior and senior seasons. He spent his 2001 freshman year at St. Bonaventure High in Ventura (Calif.).

Maualuga made an immediate impact as a true freshman. Even though he played behind Oscar Lua at middle linebacker, he was named Freshman All-American first-team by the Football Writers Association and Scout.com. He received the team's John McKay Award, given to the player that shows the most competitive spirit. He finished with 37 tackles (26 solos), a sack, 4.5 stops for losses and an interception.

Maualuga earned All-American honorable mention and All-Pac 10 Conference first-team honors in 2006. He started 10 of the 13 games he played in at middle linebacker, going on to register 78 tackles (45 solos), ranking second on the team. He had two sacks among his five stops for loss, as he also deflected three passes and picked off another.

As a junior, Maualuga received All-American third-team and All-Pac 10 Conference first-team accolades. He started all but the Notre Dame game, as he was nursing a hip pointer before that contest, leading the team with a career-high 79 tackles (41 solos). He placed third on the squad with six sacks and 10.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also knocked down three passes while intercepting another.

Maualuga was a unanimous first-team All-American and All-Pac 10 Conference choice in 2008. He was a finalist for the Lombardi Award, Bronko Nagurski Award and the Butkus Award, in addition to being named the league's Defensive Player of the Year. He matched his career-high with 79 tackles (51 solos), as he returned one of his two interceptions for a touchdown and deflected four other throws in 12 games. He sat out the Oregon clash after he sprained his knee in the Oregon State game.

[b]High School[/b] Attended Eureka (Cal.) High School, earning Parade, Super Prep, Prep Football Report, Scout.com and EA Sports All-American honors as a senior in 2004...Named USA Today All-USA first- team, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team, Student Sports Top 100, Rivals 100, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15 first team and Cal-Hi Sports All-State first team honors that season...In 2004, Maualuga made 96 tackles, including 37 stops for loss, four interceptions, including two that he returned for touchdowns, a pair of fumble recoveries and had one kickoff return for a touchdown... As a junior in 2003, he was a Student Sports Junior All-American and Cal-Hi Sports All-State Underclass first-team pick while posting 146 tackles, 43 for loss, 11 sacks and one interception...Eureka went 20-2-1 during his junior and senior seasons...Spent his 2001 freshman year at St. Bonaventure High in Ventura (Cal.).

[b]Analysis[/b] Positives: Good initial quickness off the snap. Quickly gets to top speed, flashing rare downhill explosiveness for the position. Reads the action quickly. Willing to take on blocks and has the strength and hand technique to shed quickly. Good lateral quickness to evade blockers and has the speed to beat backs to the flanks. Gets good depth on his pass drop and is quick to close on the ball. Punishing hitter with four career forced fumbles. Productive pass rusher with the speed to close on even mobile quarterbacks. Can break down in space to make the secure open-field tackle.

Negatives: Has a tendency to overpursue, opening holes in the defense for quick and savvy ballcarriers to exploit. Too often relies on his explosive hitting to knock down ballcarriers, rather than wrapping up to make secure tackles. Concerns about his maturity. Repeated troubles while at USC involving fights and alcohol. Arrested for misdemeanor battery after punching a student at a Halloween party in 2005. The charge was eventually dropped.

Compares To: BILL ROMANOWSKI, ex-Oakland -- Alright, Romanowski played on the outside, but there are a lot of similarities in their games, especially with both being violent tacklers. Maualuga is fun to watch because he plays so physically. He is big, strong, fast and explosive, displaying the perfect middle linebacker temperament. He is the type of player that can set the tempo of the game and makes players around him better. His teammates know that if they let up, he is going to get all over them. He plays very close to the line of scrimmage, right up in the "A" gap, and will not hesitate to attack and be physical with blockers. If he maintains his recent maturity off the field, he is the type of playmaker to build a defense around.

[b]Injury Report[/b] 2007: Saw limited action vs. Notre Dame (11/25) due to a hip pointer.

2008: Sat out the Oregon game (10/04) after suffering a right knee sprain the previous week vs. Oregon State (9/25).

2009: Could not complete the agility tests at the NFL Combine due to a right hamstring pull.

[font="Arial Black"][size=3][b]Jon Gruden on NFL Network: [color="#FF8C00"][i]"Maualuga will be the NFL rookie of the year, and the leader of that defense. He will absolutely smash you! I'm gonna go buy me one of those Bengals jersey's."[/b][/i][/size][/color][/font]

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals get steal in USC backer[/b][/size]

BY GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 6 minutes ago

The Bengals didn't get that center they coveted in the second round Saturday, but they ended up with a player that suddenly changes their persona on defense with highly-regarded USC middle linebacker Maualauga, their MLB of the future.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/bengals-get-steal-in-usc-backer/1db279ca-7a25-4afa-a78a-729ec69a9afa"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/beng...8a-729ec69a9afa[/url]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='768467' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:02 PM'][font="Arial Black"][size=3][b]Jon Gruden on NFL Network: [color="#FF8C00"][i]"Maualuga will be the NFL rookie of the year, and the leader of that defense. He will absolutely smash you! I'm gonna go buy me one of those Bengals jersey's."[/b][/i][/size][/color][/font][/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='768470' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:03 PM']Jon Gruden loves the Maualuga pick.

He said he is his early nomination for Rookie of the Year.

Sid he will knock you out. He will be a leader on the Defense,
and is a great pairing with Rivers.[/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='768471' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:03 PM']a STEAL in the 2nd...

many sites had him going like 16th....

ill take him in the 2nd all day long...[/quote]

[b]
i am on fucking cloud nine right now. this dude was a fucking steel in the second.
fuck needs, take best player available. we will get the Center tomorrow from Alabama.
this is to me so far, Marvins best draft since he's been here.[/b]

[quote name='Sigfox09' post='768496' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:09 PM']I cant wait until Rey knocks out Ward!![/quote]

[center][img]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gKE8S8d0O6ic/340x.jpg[/img]

[size=4][i]"I'm gonna knock that bitch out 2 times!"[/i][/size][/center]

Archived