comparing schedules of Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals

The Steelers really caught a break with their schedule this year. It looks like all of their tough non-division games (Titans, Chargers, Vikings, Packers) will be at home. Unless the Bears are better than I think, the only difficult non-division road game for them will be the Dolphins.

The Ravens got screwed considereing they finished 2nd in the division. The two games that are supposed to give the 2nd place team an easier schedule than the first place team have the Ravens playing the Colts and Patriots while the Steelers get the Titans and Dolphins. Also the Ravens have a bunch of their tough non-division games on the road (Chargers, Patriots, Vikings, Packers).

Finally the Bengals get some good and some bad. First the good . . . During the first 9 weeks of the season we only play 3 road games. Hopefully this will give us some time to get our inexperienced O-line up to speed. The bad news is that we have a lot of tough non-division games on the road (Packers, Vikings,Chargers, Jets) with 3 of those 4 tough road trips coming in the last 4 weeks of the season (Vikings in week 14, Chargers the next week, and Jets in week 17). We also drew a couple of tough game against the Texans and Jets who were two of the best 3rd place teams in the league last year.

So even though we may have narrowed the talent gap between ourselves and the Steelers I don't see us overtaking them because of their favorable schedule. The Ravens lost a lot more talent then the Steelers did this offseason, and they drew a tougher schedule, so I could see us bumping them out of 2nd place in the North. I just hope we rack up enough wins to get a wildcard.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='03 August 2009 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1249318350' post='787897']
The Steelers really caught a break with their schedule this year. It looks like all of their tough non-division games (Titans, Chargers, Vikings, Packers) will be at home. Unless the Bears are better than I think, the only difficult non-division road game for them will be the Dolphins.

The Ravens got screwed considereing they finished 2nd in the division. The two games that are supposed to give the 2nd place team an easier schedule than the first place team have the Ravens playing the Colts and Patriots while the Steelers get the Titans and Dolphins. Also the Ravens have a bunch of their tough non-division games on the road (Chargers, Patriots, Vikings, Packers).

Finally the Bengals get some good and some bad. First the good . . . During the first 9 weeks of the season we only play 3 road games. Hopefully this will give us some time to get our inexperienced O-line up to speed. The bad news is that we have a lot of tough non-division games on the road (Packers, Vikings,Chargers, Jets) with 3 of those 4 tough road trips coming in the last 4 weeks of the season (Vikings in week 14, Chargers the next week, and Jets in week 17). We also drew a couple of tough game against the Texans and Jets who were two of the best 3rd place teams in the league last year.

So even though we may have narrowed the talent gap between ourselves and the Steelers I don't see us overtaking them because of their favorable schedule. The Ravens lost a lot more talent then the Steelers did this offseason, and they drew a tougher schedule, so I could see us bumping them out of 2nd place in the North. I just hope we rack up enough wins to get a wildcard.
[/quote]

Going to Miami isn't going to be hard for the Steelers. The Dolphins have no home field advantage and aside from the heat, the environment should pose no problems. I don't think we have a chance in hell of passing the Steelers this year and we will be life and death to pass the Ravens, all they lost on defense was Bart Scott and he's being replaced with a stud in Tavares Gooden, they lost some older corners as well but they were done anyways due to their age. They also get Kelly Gregg back who played zero games last season. I don't even think third in our division is guaranteed because the Browns are doing some good things, especially on defense with Rob Ryan. They are becoming a full out attacking defense like Baltimore and Pittsburgh where they will have tons of pre-snap motions and masking of their coverages, unlike the vanilla Romeo Crennel defense where everyone just stood there waiting for the play to develop.

This is going to be a very tough division, and if we make the playoffs you damn well better believe we earned it.

[quote name='BengalBrandon' date='03 August 2009 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1249318960' post='787901']
we will be life and death to pass the Ravens, all they lost on defense was Bart Scott and he's being replaced with a stud in Tavares Gooden, they lost some older corners as well but they were done anyways due to their age. They also get Kelly Gregg back who played zero games last season. [/quote]

Ravens lose Pro Bowl center Jason Brown, Pro Bowl LB Bart Scott, CB Chris McAlister, starting kicker Matt Stover, starting OT Willie Anderson, and starting Safety Jim Leonhard who was their leading tackler among DBs plus the seventh ranked punt return man in the league. Also since when is a guy who has a total of FIVE career tackles (Gooden) considered a "stud". Did you hear that from Chick?

i dont consider the packers, vikings, or jets all that tough...

peterson is obviously a concern, but their qb is nobody.. the jets have a rook qb and disgruntled RB's and we cam close to beating them with favre and fitzpatrick for crying out loud..

and the packers arent super either...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='03 August 2009 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1249325274' post='787923']
i dont consider the packers, vikings, or jets all that tough...

peterson is obviously a concern, but their qb is nobody.. the jets have a rook qb and disgruntled RB's and we cam close to beating them with favre and fitzpatrick for crying out loud..

and the packers arent super either...
[/quote]

Packers had the #5 scoring offense in the league last year, and I love their 2 first round picks (Raji, Clay Mathews) they used on defense. But the biggest addition may be Dom Capers coming over from th Pats as Defensive Co-ordinator. If the Vikings don't somehow get some imroved QB play the Packers will win that division.

Vikings have Peterson plus a sick defense. Rosenfels is no Joe Montana, but he is not chopped liver either. In '07 he was the #16 rated passer in the league, and his career passer rating (81.2) is not that bad.

The Jets may also bet hurting at QB, but last year they were a better running team (9th in league) than passing (16th), and they added a good RB in the draft (Shon Green). New head coach Rex Ryan has brought in a lot of big name veterans (Lito Sheppard, Marques Douglas, Ahmad Carroll) in addition to the Ravens stars that followed him to NYC (Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard) to help shore up the defense.

In reality any of these teasm could suck. And the Bears, who I do not consider a tough team, could end up winning their division. BUt that is the way I see it right now.

I think the biggest disadvantage with the schedule is the fact we have only 1 divisional game after week 10 (week 12 vs Cleveland)

Pittsburgh and Baltimore don't meet up until week 12 and again in week 16.

I don't know why the NFL doesn't reserve week 6-8 and 15-17 for divisional games.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='03 August 2009 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1249332597' post='787949']
Packers had the #5 scoring offense in the league last year, and I love their 2 first round picks (Raji, Clay Mathews) they used on defense. But the biggest addition may be Dom Capers coming over from th Pats as Defensive Co-ordinator. If the Vikings don't somehow get some imroved QB play the Packers will win that division.

Vikings have Peterson plus a sick defense. Rosenfels is no Joe Montana, but he is not chopped liver either. In '07 he was the #16 rated passer in the league, and his career passer rating (81.2) is not that bad.

The Jets may also bet hurting at QB, but last year they were a better running team (9th in league) than passing (16th), and they added a good RB in the draft (Shon Green). New head coach Rex Ryan has brought in a lot of big name veterans (Lito Sheppard, Marques Douglas, Ahmad Carroll) in addition to the Ravens stars that followed him to NYC (Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard) to help shore up the defense.

In reality any of these teasm could suck. And the Bears, who I do not consider a tough team, could end up winning their division. BUt that is the way I see it right now.
[/quote]

I would say the packers. matching up out QB our WR's etc has us the victor.... a lot relies on our defense and oline. ... but palmer is twice the qb any of those teams have not to mention wide receivers..

the jets added a lot of good names, but ryan isnt the DC, see: marvin lewis, him there doesnt mean the defense will be awesome, nor does adding the players he did.. many of them excelled in a great team already, so whether they all gel and perform the same as before will be interesting to see..

im not scared to play any of those team with a healthy palmer and line..

the packers were only top 5 in points, no other offensive category.. and frankly playing the lions twice a year certainly twists that stat, not to mention the bears were that great last year..

they scored 48 and 31 points against the lions alone.. they averaged 26 points a game... that speaks volumes..

[quote name='msharp16' date='03 August 2009 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1249333402' post='787953']
I think the biggest disadvantage with the schedule is the fact we have only 1 divisional game after week 10 (week 12 vs Cleveland)

Pittsburgh and Baltimore don't meet up until week 12 and again in week 16.

I don't know why the NFL doesn't reserve week 6-8 and 15-17 for divisional games.
[/quote]

I'd rather have to play in Pittsburgh at the beginning of November than the end of December. Their field is usually crap by December. :)

[quote name='mongo' date='03 August 2009 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1249335276' post='787958']
I'd rather have to play in Pittsburgh at the beginning of November than the end of December. Their field is usually crap by December. :)
[/quote]

yeah, that's definately true.

I guess you could look at it two ways. Less wear and tear on our players to get all of the divisional games out of the way early, or inexperienced players playing there most important games of the year the first time they put on a NFL uniform.... that scares me with our schedule

[quote name='GoBengals' date='03 August 2009 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1249334951' post='787956']
I would say the packers. matching up out QB our WR's etc has us the victor.... a lot relies on our defense and oline. ... but palmer is twice the qb any of those teams have not to mention wide receivers..

the jets added a lot of good names, but ryan isnt the DC, see: marvin lewis, him there doesnt mean the defense will be awesome, nor does adding the players he did.. many of them excelled in a great team already, so whether they all gel and perform the same as before will be interesting to see..

im not scared to play any of those team with a healthy palmer [b]and line..[/b]

the packers were only top 5 in points, no other offensive category.. and frankly playing the lions twice a year certainly twists that stat, not to mention the bears were that great last year..

they scored 48 and 31 points against the lions alone.. they averaged 26 points a game... that speaks volumes..
[/quote]

As of right now we have no line, aside from Bobbie who has proven he can play. Whitworth is still a question at LT, Livings at LG, Cook at C and whoever the hell is going to play RT, whether it be the fat boy Andre Smith or the intriguing Anthony Collins. Hopefully everyone can come together and be DECENT, or it will be another year with no playoffs in Cincinnati. And another year of Mike Brown chasing his tail and another off-season of the fans getting pumped for another year of disappointment. The terrible life of a Bengals fan.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='03 August 2009 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1249324003' post='787917']
Ravens lose Pro Bowl center Jason Brown[/quote]
And pick up pro bowl center Matt Birk.

[quote]Pro Bowl LB Bart Scott[/quote]
And add in Tavares Gooden who has had a year to learn from both he and Ray Lewis. Scott was a product of the system anyways, one linebacker doesn't make their elite core.

[quote]CB Chris McAlister[/quote]
32 years old, played six games last season. Did damn fine without him.

[quote]starting kicker Matt Stover[/quote]
41 years old, consistant but can be replaced. There are good young kickers everywhere.

[quote]starting OT Willie Anderson[/quote]
Started 11 games for them, is being replaced by Michael Oher, a great college tackle.

[quote]starting Safety Jim Leonhard who was their leading tackler among DBs plus the seventh ranked punt return man in the league.[/quote]
You mean back-up Jim Leonhard, Dawan Landry is their starting safety, but was injured. Leonhard was also a product of the system.

[quote]Also since when is a guy who has a total of FIVE career tackles (Gooden) considered a "stud". Did you hear that from Chick?[/quote]
He was a great player at Miami and as I mentioned above has been under the tutelage of Ray Lewis and Bart Scott for a season.

So in essence, Baltimore lost a PB center and then gained one. Lost a 32 year old corner who played six games and replaced him with a 26 year old corner who played 14 games. Lost a 41 year old kicker, lost a linebacker who was the third best backer in the core, lost a RT who started 11 games and replaced him one of the best tackles in the draft, and lost their back-up safety.

You have to be blind to think they've taken a step back. If anything they've taken one forward with Flacco getting a year older and getting their starting NT and SS back from injury.

[quote name='BengalBrandon' date='03 August 2009 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1249339886' post='787969']

And add in Tavares Gooden who has had a year to learn from both he and Ray Lewis. Scott was a product of the system anyways, one linebacker doesn't make their elite core.

41 years old, consistant but can be replaced. There are good young kickers everywhere.

Started 11 games for them, is being replaced by Michael Oher, a great college tackle.

You mean back-up Jim Leonhard, Dawan Landry is their starting safety, but was injured. Leonhard was also a product of the system.

He was a great player at Miami and as I mentioned above has been under the tutelage of Ray Lewis and Bart Scott for a season.

So in essence, Baltimore lost a PB center and then gained one. Lost a 32 year old corner who played six games and replaced him with a 26 year old corner who played 14 games. Lost a 41 year old kicker, lost a linebacker who was the third best backer in the core, lost a RT who started 11 games and replaced him one of the best tackles in the draft, and lost their back-up safety.

You have to be blind to think they've taken a step back. If anything they've taken one forward with Flacco getting a year older and getting their starting NT and SS back from injury.
[/quote]

lol are you a closet Ravens fans?

1) Good kickers aren't that easy to find, and Stover was better than good.

2) While their secondary survived without McCallister, they still got picked apart at times, and the secondary has not been improved over the offseason.

3) Gooden was a pretty good LB at Miami, but you're severely overhyping him.

4) You're going to claim the Ravens are fine with Oher at tackle, but slam the bengals for having either Smith (talent) or Collins (experience) who are both more prepared than Oher? Please.

5) Yes, Leonhard was such a product of the system, that his former DC, who knows him best, rushed out to sign him away. Was Bart Scott a product of the system too then?

I think the Ratbirds are going to have some holes. They have no wideouts other than Mason that are really any good. They are going to have questions about the effectiveness of their oline. Flacco may have a sophomore slump. Their defense is another year older with their key players. They lost their defensive coordinator.

Shit, I don't even think their RB's are all that. Not that ours are either (yet), but still.

[quote name='BengalBrandon' date='03 August 2009 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1249339886' post='787969']

[/quote]

Damn, bro, are you sure you're a Bengals fan? It seems every time you post, you are trying to tell someone that the Bengals aren't good enough here, or have problems there. So, tell the truth, are you a closet squealer fan or are you trying out for America's Biggest Douche?

Archived