Cincinnati Bengals WR Jerome Simpson Might Be a Little Too Sensitive for the NFL

Cincinnati Bengals WR Jerome Simpson Might Be a Little Too Sensitive for the NFL
By John Breech (Correspondent) on September 5, 2010

Jerome Simpson doesn't take kindly to criticism.

Yesterday, I spent my entire day doing three things: Watching college football, tweeting, and keeping track of who the Bengals cut from their roster.

Since 91 percent of the people reading this are Bengals fans, I'll figure 69 percent of you knew that yesterday was cut day in the NFL. For the other 31 percent of you, cut day is where each team has to get their roster down to 53 players.

Anyway, nine seconds after I heard the news that sixth-round draft pick Dezmon Briscoe had been cut, I sent out this tweet making fun of the Bengals' favorite two and a half-year WR project, Jerome Simpson: "Dez Briscoe will be in the Hall-of-Fame before Jerome Simpson starts a game for the Bengals."

After sending the tweet, I took a bath, ate two waffles, watched the Miami Redhawks almost shock Florida, followed by the Reds pounding the Cardinals, before mowing my lawn.

What I'm trying to say here is that I didn't give the tweet a second thought.

But someone did give that tweet a second thought, none other than the Bengals two and a half-year WR project himself, Jerome Simpson.

Now, I didn't know that Simpson was more emotional than a teenage girl seeing "Twilight" star Taylor Lautner for the first time, but apparently he is.

At noon today, Simpson sent me a personal message on Twitter: "Why r u following me if wanna talk shit about me? O ya an you will never play an NFL snap.. So I got u!!

No, Jerome, I probably will never play an NFL snap, but you'll probably never write a grammatically correct sentence, so in that sense, we're even.

Mr. Simpson, I'll keep this short and sweet:

1. Stop Twitter-stalking your haters and learn the playbook. Terrell Owens learned it in two weeks, you're now going on 125 weeks. Unless he's 62.5 times smarter than you, this makes no sense.

2. Pray nightly that offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski never gets fired because it would take you another three years to learn the new coordinator's playbook, which means you would be the first six-year veteran in the history of the NFL to never start a game. That would be an awesome record to hold.

3. Andre Smith sucks worse than you and at this point, is a bigger draft bust. The only difference, he actually answers questions and doesn't avoid the media. In everyday America, if you work at a job for two years and don't produce, you get fired. So don't be so touchy when Bengals fans want to see some new blood, as you've shown us nothing in two years.

Actually, you've shown us two yards, which is technically six feet more than nothing.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, here are Simpson's stats after two full seasons with the Bengals: Eight games played, one game started, one catch for two yards.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/452257-bengals-wr-jerome-simpson-might-be-a-little-to-sensitve-for-the-nfl

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1283736268' post='914788']
the funny thing is, "john breech" overreacted worse to Simpson's tweet than Simpson over-reacted to his.
[/quote]

He's trying to get a tweet war going to have something to write about.

Lame.

That's kinda fucked up. Simpson was more shocked than us when he was drafted, it's not his fault if he was drafted too high. He wasn't even watching the draft because he didn't have any expectations of going that high. It's hard to blame him for taking so long to get up to speed, unless he isn't trying. I don't think anyone is accusing him of not trying.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1283736717' post='914790']
That's kinda fucked up. Simpson was more shocked than the us when he was drafted, it's not his fault if he was drafted too high. He wasn't even watching the draft because he didn't have any expectations of going that high. It's hard to blame him for taking so long to get up to speed, unless he isn't trying. I don't think anyone is accusing him of not trying.
[/quote]

coaches have praised his effort multiple times, especially in trying to learn special teams.

Still hoping Chad and TO turn him into a cocky little bastard. His biggest issue is self-confidence.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1283736546' post='914789']
He's trying to get a tweet war going to have something to write about.

Lame.
[/quote]

Jeb, just for the record, that would be the opposite of true. When I tweeted "Dez Briscoe will be in the Hall-of-Fame before Jerome Simpson starts a game for the Bengals," I didn't direct the tweet at Simpson's twitter account (which for the record is [url="http://twitter.com/rome089"]@rome089[/url]). This means, Jerome Simpson woke up this morning, searched his name on Twitter, didn't like what I wrote and decided to send me a personal message (meaning what he wrote didn't show up for his twitter followers, it was only visible to me).

Secondly, to bengals1181: I definitely wasn't underreacting, reacting or overreacting to anything. My whole M.O. is that i take something I think is funny and I try to make it funnier, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes I forget to shower. To me, the fact that a professional athlete [Jerome Simpson] woke up this morning, got on twitter and singled me out for making fun of him yesterday is funny. And obviously my tweet was a joke, i.e. I will have sex with Megan Fox before Briscoe is in the Hall-of-Fame.

And I'll end on this, I don't have a problem with Simpson, but I do think spending a roster spot on a guy that has one catch in two years isn't exactly a smart move. Second round pick or not, you eventually have to cut your losses, Matt Leinart in AZ is a perfect example.

By the way, if you don't feel like going to Bleacher Report (its the third slowest loading site in the world), or if you just want to see how tongue in [butt] cheek I write, here's the link to [url="http://itsneversunnyincincinnati.blogspot.com/"]Its Never Sunny in Cincinnati[/url], which you should bookmark on your computer, your friend's computer and your grandma's friend's computer.

Rather illustrates the difference between journalism and blogging. Simpson shouldn't have responded. That said, Breech shouldn't have made the first tweet or created a slam article in response.... And grammar bashing a tweet is absurd.

I also don't think it's cool to talk about how sensitive someone is, or how they are stalking, when Mr. Breech is both writing inflammatory articles and posting in threads that critique said article.

I think it's an unfortunate series of posts all around.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1283741162' post='914815']
Rather illustrates the difference between journalism and blogging. Simpson shouldn't have responded. [b]That said, Breech shouldn't have made the first tweet or created a slam article in response....[/b] And grammar bashing a tweet is absurd.

I also don't think it's cool to talk about how sensitive someone is, or how they are stalking, when Mr. Breech is both writing inflammatory articles and posting in threads that critique said article.

I think it's an unfortunate series of posts all around.
[/quote]

Why not? Isn't that what journalism is these days?

[quote name='john_breech' timestamp='1283740109' post='914811']
I do think spending a roster spot on a guy that has one catch in two years isn't exactly a smart move. Second round pick or not, you eventually have to cut your losses,[/quote]

That is because you are a dumbass

Miles Austin had only 5 receptions his first 2 seasons and he had 1300+ for the Cowboys last year.

Malcolm Floyd had only 3 catches his first 2 seasons and he had almost 800 yards for the Chargers last season.

Robert Meachem had only 12 catches his first two seasons, but had over 700 yards for the Saints last year.

Lance Moore only had 1 reception over his first two seasons, but had over 900 yards for the saints in '08.

Brandon Stokley only had 12 catches his first two seasons, but went on to have a 1,000 yard season for the Colts.

Jeb, just for the record, that would be the opposite of true. When I tweeted "Dez Briscoe will be in the Hall-of-Fame before Jerome Simpson starts a game for the Bengals," I didn't direct the tweet at Simpson's twitter account (which for the record is [url="http://twitter.com/rome089"]@rome089[/url]). This means, Jerome Simpson woke up this morning, searched his name on Twitter, didn't like what I wrote and decided to send me a personal message (meaning what he wrote didn't show up for his twitter followers, it was only visible to me).

Secondly, to bengals1181: I definitely wasn't underreacting, reacting or overreacting to anything. My whole M.O. is that i take something I think is funny and I try to make it funnier, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes I forget to shower. To me, the fact that a professional athlete [Jerome Simpson] woke up this morning, got on twitter and singled me out for making fun of him yesterday is funny. And obviously my tweet was a joke, i.e. I will have sex with Megan Fox before Briscoe is in the Hall-of-Fame.

And I'll end on this, I don't have a problem with Simpson, but I do think spending a roster spot on a guy that has one catch in two years isn't exactly a smart move. Second round pick or not, you eventually have to cut your losses, Matt Leinart in AZ is a perfect example.

By the way, if you don't feel like going to Bleacher Report (its the third slowest loading site in the world), or if you just want to see how tongue in [butt] cheek I write, here's the link to [url="http://itsneversunnyincincinnati.blogspot.com/"]Its Never Sunny in Cincinnati[/url], which you should bookmark on your computer, your friend's computer and your grandma's friend's computer.
[/quote]

BTW there are several grammatical errors in your blog entry and about a dozen more in this post. So you REALLY look like a dumbass for call Simpson out for improper grammar on a TWEET.

[/quote]

What a self serving arrogant ass... just the fact that you feel you had the right to make fun of Jerome Simpson so you could have people pay attention to your sorry little ass is pathetic... then to post about it on another message board so you can get MORE attention possibly is even more indicative of what kind of little asinine fucking geek you are.

How about you just piss off?

Mmmmkay?

If you have such a need to have people pay attention to you so that you feel you might have a future in sitcom track laughter writing... go sing fucking karaoke in front of a mirror and heckle yourself.

Gnarly little fuckstick.

[/quote]

writing some stupid blog post mocking a player because he sent you a lame tweet = over-reacting.

[/quote]

You do come off as an ass. Let's wait to evaluate Simpson after his career with Cincinnati finishes. All these posts about his failures when none of us know really anything about his situation is idiotic to begin with. I don't think anyone on our roster is better suited in the long run to take over for Ocho.

[/quote]

Is this reaction any different that Simpson's reaction?

Jesus Christ. The love for a sixth round pick who had 4 pre-season catches is un-fucking-real. He isn't that great. Dude had one good play all pre-season and gave minimal effort on ST's.

Jerome gets more hyped then most of the guys on game-day..and he isn't even active. We all sit back and call him out because he can't get active because the man in front of him is a future HOF in his prime? Can't just plug a receiver in wherever and call the plays.

I don't know what's goofier - the people wetting themselves over someone's joke about Jerome Simpson or the guy who wrote an essay in response to a 140 character tweet. Why is Jerome Simpson suddenly exempt of all criticism? Did he get ahold of some of Mohammed's "goo"?

[quote] just the fact that you feel you had the right to make fun of Jerome Simpson so you could have people pay attention to your sorry little ass is pathetic[/quote]

*face palm*

I really hope you are related to Jerome Simpson. If not, get a hobby.

I'm no Jerome Simpson fan, but I trust that the coaching staff made the right decision in keeping him. Hope he'll be a star, just don't think it's likely.

Archived