Well.........

I'm not going to get on here and say stupid shit like "you suck" or anything juvenile like that....although many of you can only grasp conversations of that sort. I will, however, aim this directly at the two or three of you who are reasonably intelligent and can comprehend football talk.

After watching tonights game (the first time I've watched an entire Bengals game this year) I came to some conclusions that back up what I have been saying all along......and saw some things that surprised me.

First, I am not stunned at all that you lost. Frankly, I suspected you would when you ran up against a good defense. Having said that, your offense is better than I thought it was. Chad, Rudi, and the boys are as good as any in the league and Palmer has improved his decision making dramatically from last year. That rookie WR Perry is gonna be the real deal, too.

Secondly, and most obviously, your run defense is horrible. If that isn't fixed you will be a first round playoff exit.....assuming you make it. Jacksonville is not an offensive juggernaut, yet they busted off 10 yard runs virtually at will. Had they not killed themselves with holding calls, they would have busted over 200 yds on you guys on the ground. Simply not acceptable come playoff time. Still, that can be fixed.....just a matter of if and when.

Lastly, it's clear in this, as in every other game in the NFL, that without the ridiculous amount of bullshit turnovers you guys have been racking up against crappy teams that you don't have what it takes to stand toe to toe with a solid team. Don't get me wrong, the "old Bengals" would have folded up like a cheap tent when the score got to 20-7.....these guys fought back. You need that. But most teams aren't going to turn it over to you 5 times a game. This is a lot of why we thought your record was inflated. It showed tonight.

Nevertheless, with the sudden haplessness of the Ravens (something we can all laugh at and enjoy) it appears as if this division is a 2 team race. Hell, even the Browns are playing scrappy ball, but let's be honest.....they have no chance. We look forward to the fight in 2 weeks.

Bring it!

i pretty much agree with you, except for two things...

1) our rookie wr tab perry only played on special teams tonight (from what i saw), what i assume you saw on our offense was chris henry (rookie) and [i]chris perry[/i] (might as well be a rookie)

2) we've been very complacent over the last 3 weeks, on our best days i believe there are only a few teams that can even give us a game... the problem is forcing our ENTIRE team to play and stay at that level for the ENTIRE season...

oh, and our run defense sucks ass, but with the help of madieu on d and tj on o i believe we still would have won this game, they should be back by next week, so watch out...

You're right.......my bad The guy I was referring to was Henry, #15. He's going to start before it's all said and done.

As far as teams giving you a game, I think anybody with a solid running game will MORE than give you a game. Us, Indy, Denver, Miami (sorta), NE (of course), KC, etc......would have to be licking their chops and sporting major wood after watching last nights game if they were your next opponent. Fred Taylor's best years are behind him and he made you guys look silly. Imagine what a Preist Holmes, Edge James, or *ahem* Willie Parker will do to you.

Still, it's going to be a dogfight. I know this. We'll see you in two weeks.

[quote name='Southern Steeler' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:41 AM']I'm not going to get on here and say stupid shit like "you suck" or anything juvenile like that....although many of you can only grasp conversations of that sort.  I will, however, aim this directly at the two or three of you who are reasonably intelligent and can comprehend football talk.

After watching tonights game (the first time I've watched an entire Bengals game this year) I came to some conclusions that back up what I have been saying all along......and saw some things that surprised me.

First, I am not stunned at all that you lost.  Frankly, I suspected you would when you ran up against a good defense.  Having said that, your offense is better than I thought it was.  Chad, Rudi, and the boys are as good as any in the league and Palmer has improved his decision making dramatically from last year.  That rookie WR Perry is gonna be the real deal, too. 

Secondly, and most obviously, your run defense is horrible.  If that isn't fixed you will be a first round playoff exit.....assuming you make it.  Jacksonville is not an offensive juggernaut, yet they busted off 10 yard runs virtually at will.  Had they not killed themselves with holding calls, they would have busted over 200 yds on you guys on the ground.  Simply not acceptable come playoff time.  Still, that can be fixed.....just a matter of if and when.

Lastly, it's clear in this, as in every other game in the NFL, that without the ridiculous amount of bullshit turnovers you guys have been racking up against crappy teams that you don't have what it takes to stand toe to toe with a solid team.  Don't get me wrong, the "old Bengals" would have folded up like a cheap tent when the score got to 20-7.....these guys fought back.  You need that.  But most teams aren't going to turn it over to you 5 times a game.  This is a lot of why we thought your record was inflated.  It showed tonight.

Nevertheless, with the sudden haplessness of the Ravens (something we can all laugh at and enjoy) it appears as if this division is a 2 team race.  Hell, even the Browns are playing scrappy ball, but let's be honest.....they have no chance.  We look forward to the fight in 2 weeks.

Bring it!
[right][post="166653"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I think this post is right on the money, not to side with the "enemy". It showed last night that the Bengals are over-rated by the sports writers, but it doesn't matter what they say. Ice might have an argument that our injured players might have made the difference in the game. But there's not a team in the league that's not banged up at least to our extent. If we're talking play-offs/SB XL, the Bengals have to be able to win without guys like TJ. It's going to be hard to predict Bengals success until they beat at least one team with a winning record. Last night, they looked a lot like the Bengals of last year. But it can and will be fixed. I think they will have as strong a second half of the season as they did last year. But this year it's a 4-1 start instead of 1-4. I think the Bengals are off to another slow start progress-wise, even though they're 4-1

Guest bengalrick

good post southern... but i take objection to your "anyone w/ a run defense will beat us" comment for one reason... we have played a couple of teams while they ran the ball all over us... the difference from those games and this game is simply that they were getting destroyed in the others... they never had a chance to really use their game... our run defense is still our obvious weakness but we are still depending on a rookie at MIC and it shows... almost all the runs last night were on cutbacks, where odell was way out of the play... he will get better but it might not be until next year where he truely progresses...

even if you guys are able to run the ball well on us, you guys better be able to stop our offense, b/c we have been good in the redzone for the most part this year... we can give up 2 or 3 fg's, but if we score 2 or 3 td's, you guys and anyone else in that position will have to throw the ball, which plays into our strength on defense...

in other words, any given sunday... we are good... you guys are good... it will be a dog fight all year... i can't wait to play you guys :headbang:

[quote]Fred Taylor's best years are behind him and he made you guys look silly.  Imagine what a Preist Holmes, Edge James, or *ahem* Willie Parker will do to you[/quote].

Fred Taylor is one of the top five RBs in the NFL. He has gained over 1200 yards in five of his seven seasons. His career average of 4.6 yards per carry has to be one of the tops in the league. And he is not as beaten up as people think. He has only missed two games in the last three years.

Our D-line even though they did not get a strong push, did hold their own and the over-pursuit of our young linebackers is what hurt us and needs to be fixed.
Marvin was :rant: about our LB's play of last year that needed to improve. IMo, We have made strides, but we are not there yet.

[quote name='Southern Steeler' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:41 AM']I'm not going to get on here and say stupid shit like "you suck" or anything juvenile like that....although many of you can only grasp conversations of that sort.  I will, however, aim this directly at the two or three of you who are reasonably intelligent and can comprehend football talk.

First, I am not stunned at all that you lost.  Frankly, I suspected you would when you ran up against a good defense.  Having said that, your offense is better than I thought it was.  Chad, Rudi, and the boys are as good as any in the league and Palmer has improved his decision making dramatically from last year.  That rookie WR Perry is gonna be the real deal, too. 

Secondly, and most obviously, your run defense is horrible.  If that isn't fixed you will be a first round playoff exit.....assuming you make it.  Jacksonville is not an offensive juggernaut, yet they busted off 10 yard runs virtually at will.  Had they not killed themselves with holding calls, they would have busted over 200 yds on you guys on the ground.  Simply not acceptable come playoff time.  Still, that can be fixed.....just a matter of if and when.

Lastly, it's clear in this, as in every other game in the NFL, that without the ridiculous amount of bullshit turnovers you guys have been racking up against crappy teams that you don't have what it takes to stand toe to toe with a solid team.  Don't get me wrong, the "old Bengals" would have folded up like a cheap tent when the score got to 20-7.....these guys fought back.  You need that.  But most teams aren't going to turn it over to you 5 times a game.  This is a lot of why we thought your record was inflated.  It showed tonight.

Nevertheless, with the sudden haplessness of the Ravens (something we can all laugh at and enjoy) it appears as if this division is a 2 team race.  Hell, even the Browns are playing scrappy ball, but let's be honest.....they have no chance.  We look forward to the fight in 2 weeks.

Bring it!

U SUCK

j/p So yep this Chris Henry guy.....He's gonna be great....Dare I say? Better than Chad, oh yes i dare!!!

Run D...we were very undisciplined last night and thats not the Marvin Way...we have the players to play the run, but we were lookin pitifull...had opportunities to make plays in the Backfield, but whiffed on Tackles. Stuffed Fred twice, then "BOOM" Freddy dodges a tackle in the Backfield, cuts it back and scampers for 15...We didn't stay home as a team...need more Disipline and trust...we have the players.

4-1 is better than 2-2...cause the STEALERS ARE GOING DOWN TONGIHT SUCKA!!!

LET"S GO CHARGERS!!!!

LET"S GO CHARGERS!!!!

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Southern Steeler' date='Oct 10 2005, 01:41 AM']I'm not going to get on here and say stupid shit like "you suck" or anything juvenile like that....although many of you can only grasp conversations of that sort.  I will, however, aim this directly at the two or three of you who are reasonably intelligent and can comprehend football talk.

Bring it!

In most games this year, we've been able to jump out to an early lead. That's been the key to hiding our weakness on run D, and it's helped lead to all the interceptions. If we get an early lead, we can beat anybody. If we fall behind, we may have problems getting our defense off the field. We should get better as the year goes along, considering Thurman and Pollack are rookies who will be getting a lot of playing time. Madieu means more to our defense than opposing fans are aware of and he was out for the Jacksonville game.

If you take away a few stupid penalties, we win that game despite our weaknesses and we're sitting at 5 and 0. Of course you can't take those away, so we lost. The Steelers and the Bengals are probably two of the top five teams in the league. If we can learn to stop making the stupid penalties and our D matures as it should, I think we'll be better than you. Whether or not we do that in time to win the division remains to be seen. One thing going for us, we're not scared of you like teams outside the division might be. If not for a couple of bad calls, a bounce of the ball, we could have beat you both games last year. We didn't.

I see no reason to think we're not going to get better the rest of this year and into next year. Until we do though, you're the team to beat. Enjoy it while it lasts.

nice post Southern.

I do agree that the run defense has to be fixed. The way that Fred Taylor shedded our defense Sunday night was embarassing.
However, I did notice that when he tried to take it straight up the middle, he was stuffed for either no gain or a loss.

Marvin has stated that the best way to build a team is to build it with your division in mind. And we all know that winning the division is the easiest way to get into the playoffs. I think that the run defense can handle people that run right at you pretty well. That is the type of runnig that Bettis, J. Lewis, and all the other backs in this divison are known for.

I think our poor showing in the run department showed the inexperience of our rookie at MIKE. He appears to lack the disipline at this moment to stay at home and be ready for the cutbacks. That will improve as the year goes on and he gets experience.

I am looking forward to the game vs. Pittsburgh on October 23. And I pray that the run defense is shored up by this Sunday, or else we are going to see Fred Taylor all over again. (Chris Brown is the same type of runer that Taylor is)

[quote name='Southern Steeler' date='Oct 10 2005, 12:41 AM']I'm not going to get on here and say stupid shit like "you suck" or anything juvenile like that....although many of you can only grasp conversations of that sort.  I will, however, aim this directly at the two or three of you who are reasonably intelligent and can comprehend football talk.

Bring it!
[right][post="166653"][/post][/right][/quote]
It was a close game.
If we can manage our penalties (they've been horrible, costing us points ((2 TD's so far this season)) and field position) and get our outside rushing defense in order, we'll be extremely difficult to beat.
I think the Bengals/Steelers games this season are going to be VERY good football games.
I want to beat you guys so bad I can taste it.
We're returning pride to our city with these Bengals.
See you real soon.... :wave:

Archived