(Ike) Taylor will have job of covering (Chad) Johnson

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[size=6]Taylor will have job of covering Johnson[/size]

By MARK KABOLY, Daily News Sports Editor

When Chad Johnson's made his now famous "Who Will Cover 85 in 2005?" checklist in the preseason, he didn't have these results in mind.
So the mouthy Bengals receiver will amend his list this week against the Steelers because, he said, opponents aren't playing fair.

"I think I need to make a new list because I'm not getting the individual battles that I'm asking for or the challenge that I am proposing because I'm getting that corner, plus help over top," Johnson said. "So basically it puts that corner in a comfortable position where he has help. That's not fair. So if I have to continue to beat two people for the rest of the season, that's what it will be."

Deshea Townsend doesn't necessarily agree with Johnson.

"I see it on film. Some people watch him one-on-one," the Pittsburgh cornerback said.

Townsend is listed on the poster hanging in Johnson's locker but likely will miss Sunday's game in Cincinnati with a hamstring injury.

That was news to Johnson.

"You've got to be kidding me," he said. "You're hurting my feelings right now. Seriously, is he down?"

So Johnson might have to replace Townsend's name with that of third-year pro Ike Taylor.

"I don't know and to be honest with you, I don't really care," Taylor said of the possibility of being added to the list.

Taylor has become Pittsburgh's most reliable cornerback in his first season as a starter. He's shut down No. 1 receivers Drew Bennett, Andre Johnson, Deion Branch, Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell, but will face his biggest test against Johnson this week.

"You always want to step up to the plate and show what you can do," Taylor said. "Chad has always been a premier receiver and a Pro-Bowl receiver."

Johnson's production is linked to the Bengals' success. Since 2003, Cincinnati is 15-6 when Johnson has at least six receptions, 10-3 when he has at least seven catches and 8-2 when he has at least 100 yards receiving. When Johnson catches five passes or fewer, the Bengals are 6-11. He might not be the best receiver in the NFL, but it's hard to deny Johnson's value to the team.

"I wouldn't say he's the best. He's one of the best," veteran Steelers cornerback Willie Williams said. "He's the best route runner. One day he'll probably be the best."

While Williams will replace Townsend on the right side, that doesn't mean he'll see much of Johnson.

If Townsend can't play, Taylor will follow Johnson all over the field.

"Ike is a great corner," Townsend said. "He can cover anybody plus our defense is a good defense."

Taylor and Johnson have very different personalities.

Johnson is loud on and off the field, and you never know what'll come out of his mouth next. Taylor, on the other hand, rarely says a word off the field, let alone on it.

"I don't talk," Taylor said. "I try to let my actions speak louder than my words. I am going to keep it humble and keep it quiet and go out and play. I'm pretty much levelheaded."

Johnson's end zone celebrations have been especially entertaining this year, including the "River Dance" and performing CPR on the football a couple weeks ago.

"A lot of guys talk, but I think he does a lot of that to motivate himself," Townsend said. "Plus he has fun. He is not that type where he is distracting the team by doing certain things."

Taylor isn't offended by what Johnson says.

"He talks about it and he does it," he said. "Others talk but can't do it, but he talks and he walks it too. He always backs it up."

Taylor has started four games this season and leads the cornerbacks in tackles with 40 and has defended a team-high seven passes.

"I am still learning and still have a lot to learn," Taylor said. "I still have a lot to prove. Playing this game you learn something new every day. At my position I can never be satisfied. You have to prove yourself every year and at the same time you have to prove yourself every week. I am never satisfied, ever."

[url="http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1282&dept_id=182120&newsid=15421641&PAG=461&rfi=9"]http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=128...1&PAG=461&rfi=9[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='174208' date='Oct 22 2005, 08:00 AM'][size=6]Taylor will have job of covering Johnson[/size]

By MARK KABOLY, Daily News Sports Editor

When Chad Johnson's made his now famous "Who Will Cover 85 in 2005?" checklist in the preseason, he didn't have these results in mind.
So the mouthy Bengals receiver will amend his list this week against the Steelers because, he said, opponents aren't playing fair.

"I think I need to make a new list because I'm not getting the individual battles that I'm asking for or the challenge that I am proposing because I'm getting that corner, plus help over top," Johnson said. "So basically it puts that corner in a comfortable position where he has help. That's not fair. So if I have to continue to beat two people for the rest of the season, that's what it will be."

Deshea Townsend doesn't necessarily agree with Johnson.

"I see it on film. Some people watch him one-on-one," the Pittsburgh cornerback said.

Townsend is listed on the poster hanging in Johnson's locker but likely will miss Sunday's game in Cincinnati with a hamstring injury.

That was news to Johnson.

"You've got to be kidding me," he said. "You're hurting my feelings right now. Seriously, is he down?"

So Johnson might have to replace Townsend's name with that of third-year pro Ike Taylor.

"I don't know and to be honest with you, I don't really care," Taylor said of the possibility of being added to the list.

Taylor has become Pittsburgh's most reliable cornerback in his first season as a starter. He's shut down No. 1 receivers Drew Bennett, Andre Johnson, Deion Branch, Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell, but will face his biggest test against Johnson this week.

"You always want to step up to the plate and show what you can do," Taylor said. "Chad has always been a premier receiver and a Pro-Bowl receiver."

Johnson's production is linked to the Bengals' success. Since 2003, Cincinnati is 15-6 when Johnson has at least six receptions, 10-3 when he has at least seven catches and 8-2 when he has at least 100 yards receiving. When Johnson catches five passes or fewer, the Bengals are 6-11. He might not be the best receiver in the NFL, but it's hard to deny Johnson's value to the team.

"I wouldn't say he's the best. He's one of the best," veteran Steelers cornerback Willie Williams said. "He's the best route runner. One day he'll probably be the best."

While Williams will replace Townsend on the right side, that doesn't mean he'll see much of Johnson.

If Townsend can't play, Taylor will follow Johnson all over the field.

"Ike is a great corner," Townsend said. "He can cover anybody plus our defense is a good defense."

Taylor and Johnson have very different personalities.

Johnson is loud on and off the field, and you never know what'll come out of his mouth next. Taylor, on the other hand, rarely says a word off the field, let alone on it.

"I don't talk," Taylor said. "I try to let my actions speak louder than my words. I am going to keep it humble and keep it quiet and go out and play. I'm pretty much levelheaded."

Johnson's end zone celebrations have been especially entertaining this year, including the "River Dance" and performing CPR on the football a couple weeks ago.

"A lot of guys talk, but I think he does a lot of that to motivate himself," Townsend said. "Plus he has fun. He is not that type where he is distracting the team by doing certain things."

Taylor isn't offended by what Johnson says.

"He talks about it and he does it," he said. "Others talk but can't do it, but he talks and he walks it too. He always backs it up."

Taylor has started four games this season and leads the cornerbacks in tackles with 40 and has defended a team-high seven passes.

"I am still learning and still have a lot to learn," Taylor said. "I still have a lot to prove. Playing this game you learn something new every day. At my position I can never be satisfied. You have to prove yourself every year and at the same time you have to prove yourself every week. I am never satisfied, ever."

[url="http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1282&dept_id=182120&newsid=15421641&PAG=461&rfi=9"]http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=128...1&PAG=461&rfi=9[/url][/quote]

Ike couldn't even cover Tina Turner! :D

Archived