Now that all the fuss has died down......

Let's talk football, not smack. My observations from the game.........

1) Obviously, run defense is your largest problem. Not a shock there. The analysts pointed out a number of times how your young LB's were overpursuing to the wrong spot. The goal line fake on the first touchdown was almost embarrasing. Your dude bit HARD on that. But, these problems will correct themselves with experience, I think. Thurman looks like he's going to be a good one.

2) I honestly thought Johnson had the TD on that first drive. I was actually pissed that Cowher threw the red flag because I thought for sure he was going to lose the challenge. Having said that, your boy Perry definitely fumbled that ball. Those even out, I guess. Otherwise, officiating was adequate, IMO.

3) This is the most important, I think. After the first two drives, in which you guys were just moving the ball at will, it seemed that the fact that you were only up 3-0 took all of the wind out of your sails. I use a boxing match as an example.....The Bengals came out swinging, came out throwing punches with everything they had and after round 1 the Steelers were standing there unscathed and only down 3. After that, I could actually tell that it was in their heads. "Oh no, not again." (And for the record, I can identify that look because we have it against the Patriots. Very frustrating, I know) You could just sense that Pittsburgh had taken your best shot and was about to start swinging back. Although the halftime score was very close, the body language indicated otherwise. Hell, Ben's INT early in the 3rd Qtr didn't concern me a bit. Honestly. The game was in the bag after the first two drives failed you.

4) Why you abandoned Rudi Johnson is beyond my comprehension. He was tearing us a new asshole and then ....................poof........gone. Again, I'll contribute this blunder to youth. I'm sure we made some adjustments, but it seems like the Bengals didn't even try to run much in the second half. The game was still in reach, theoretically, until late in the 3rd qtr.

All in all, I really expected a better game. Carson is viewing the Steelers as Ben and Peyton do the Patriots. You can just see it in his eyes. BUT, with your schedule you should make the playoffs. Of course, we will win the division now, but that was to be expected all along. I admit I do not want to meet Cincy in the playoffs, though. You've got a good offense if they can quit being "scared" of us, so to speak.

Wish us luck against the hated Ravens.......or not. I'll be pulling for you guys when you play them.

(Hopefully, this thread will inspire some football talk instead of the usual "go to hell's"...although I can't see how anyone can logically argue what I've said here.)

I will take what you said with a grain of salt. Yes we shouldn't have given up on the run like we did. Chad did
score the touchdown as far as I'm concerned.His elbow was in bounds when he landed along with his feet.
Ok enough on that. We do have alot of young players on this team and Steelers have some that have been there. I see us being 12-4 and it will get down to us playing again. No smack talk,we had some decent steeler fans there,nothing getting crazy like the jax game. See ya on the 4th which falls on my birthday.

:afropic:

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='176005' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:13 PM']See ya on the 4th which falls on my birthday.

:afropic: [/quote]
We will def. get you a good present maybe a picture of hines and his girlfriend souther steeler crying after we kick some steeler ass [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] :pointlaff: :pointlaff:

:thumbsup:

[quote name='Southern Steeler' post='175995' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:02 PM']Let's talk football, not smack. My observations from the game.........

1) Obviously, run defense is your largest problem. Not a shock there. The analysts pointed out a number of times how your young LB's were overpursuing to the wrong spot. The goal line fake on the first touchdown was almost embarrasing. Your dude bit HARD on that. But, these problems will correct themselves with experience, I think. Thurman looks like he's going to be a good one.

2) I honestly thought Johnson had the TD on that first drive. I was actually pissed that Cowher threw the red flag because I thought for sure he was going to lose the challenge. Having said that, your boy Perry definitely fumbled that ball. Those even out, I guess. Otherwise, officiating was adequate, IMO.

3) This is the most important, I think. After the first two drives, in which you guys were just moving the ball at will, it seemed that the fact that you were only up 3-0 took all of the wind out of your sails. I use a boxing match as an example.....The Bengals came out swinging, came out throwing punches with everything they had and after round 1 the Steelers were standing there unscathed and only down 3. After that, I could actually tell that it was in their heads. "Oh no, not again." (And for the record, I can identify that look because we have it against the Patriots. Very frustrating, I know) You could just sense that Pittsburgh had taken your best shot and was about to start swinging back. Although the halftime score was very close, the body language indicated otherwise. Hell, Ben's INT early in the 3rd Qtr didn't concern me a bit. Honestly. The game was in the bag after the first two drives failed you.

4) Why you abandoned Rudi Johnson is beyond my comprehension. He was tearing us a new asshole and then ....................poof........gone. Again, I'll contribute this blunder to youth. I'm sure we made some adjustments, but it seems like the Bengals didn't even try to run much in the second half. The game was still in reach, theoretically, until late in the 3rd qtr.

All in all, I really expected a better game. Carson is viewing the Steelers as Ben and Peyton do the Patriots. You can just see it in his eyes. BUT, with your schedule you should make the playoffs. Of course, we will win the division now, but that was to be expected all along. I admit I do not want to meet Cincy in the playoffs, though. You've got a good offense if they can quit being "scared" of us, so to speak.

Wish us luck against the hated Ravens.......or not. I'll be pulling for you guys when you play them.

(Hopefully, this thread will inspire some football talk instead of the usual "go to hell's"...although I can't see how anyone can logically argue what I've said here.)[/quote]
:2dedhorse:

It's Green Bay week.

Guest steggyD
All good, but I disagree with one thing. Cincy is getting the division. We will beat you at home and take the division. Mark my words. I'm not talking smack, I'm just foreseeing the future.

[quote name='steggyD' post='176016' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:24 PM']All good, but I disagree with one thing. Cincy is getting the division. We will beat you at home and take the division. Mark my words. I'm not talking smack, I'm just foreseeing the future.[/quote]
:thumbsup: exactly :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Green bay time :)

[quote name='Southern Steeler' post='175995' date='Oct 24 2005, 06:02 PM']Let's talk football, not smack. My observations from the game.........

(Hopefully, this thread will inspire some football talk instead of the usual "go to hell's"...although I can't see how anyone can logically argue what I've said here.)[/quote]

I think you've made some valid points here. I agree with prety much everything you've said, especially the "wind out of our sails" thing. I kept smacking myself in the forehead late in the 3rd/early 4th quarter thinking "we should have 14 more points right now..."
We lost the momentum when it was ours for the taking, for whatever reason.
The abandonment of the run so early was mystifying to me. We were running on you, and when you can run on a team basically at will, as we did in the 1st half, and you did in the second, you almost always win.
The score was 7-6 at the half....why we didn't come out motivated and runningat the outset of the 2nd half with Rudi is beyond me. All our offensive playcalling did was put the game squarely on Palmer's shoulders in a situation where we were facing a very good D-Line, and Palmer was constantly hurried and harrassed (or sacked and picked off).

I think that we will learn from this and develop over the course of the next several games and be far more prepared for your squad next time around.
Good game, fair analysis....except for that "winning the division" thing, of course.... :D

Archived