Marcedes Lewis

Currently, I have seen several mock drafts that have us taking Lewis with our first round pick.

Personally, I like the idea of having a TE that could block and be a recieving threat, particularly one that could stretch the field. I believe that it is the only key component missing from our offense.

However, there are a number of other possible needs, particularly at safety, DE and according to a lot of you DT. So how would you feel if we went TE in the draft and took Marcedes Lewis.

[img]http://www.nflsmackdown.com/images/mar.jpg[/img]

Marcedes Lewis

(Rated a four star, first round caliber player)

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 4.75

Strengths:
Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to easily add more weight...A superb athlete with good quickness and leaping ability...Has outstanding hands and can adjust to the poorly thrown ball...Gives great effort as a blocker and does a better job there than he is given credit for...Has solid speed and can get down the middle and stretch the seam...Very productive and was the top pass catching threat on his team...Still developing and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
May not have elite timed speed...Could stand to add some weight and looks frail on the field due to his lanky build...Lacks explosiveness and may have trouble separating at the next level...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Still relatively raw as he devoted a lot of attention to basketball in high school...Needs to refine his technique and master the nuances of the position.

Notes:
Was a part of the famed 2002 Long Beach Poly high school class that also included Winston Justice (USC), Darnell Bing (USC), Hershel Dennis (USC), and Manuel Wright (Miami Dolphins)...Is like a wide receiver trapped in a tight ends body...Not yet a finished product but could be the type of weapon in the passing game that pro teams are falling all over themselves to add these days.

(per NFLDraftCountdown.com)

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='202633' date='Jan 12 2006, 12:43 PM']I read somewhere that he ran a 4.9 40...... we need defense with our first 3 picks anyways....... Tim Day, Anthony Fasano, or Dominique Byrd will be available in the 4th round, all good blockers/recievers.[/quote]

Yeah...I think the fact that there are 3 potential superstar TEs in the draft could help us even if we don't draft one of them. The second tier of TEs will get bumped down into the 3rd and 4th rounds. The guys you mentioned plus Klopfenstein...and also David Thomas really showed me something in the Rose Bowl. Not all of Young's throws were exactly on target, but he came up all the tough catches, and finished with 10, I believe. He's smallish at 6'3" 238, and needs to add some bulk, but I see him as a potential Dallas Clark type, outstanding receiver.

Guest Master Shake
Also...any chance we give Eric Hicks a tryout? I'm not saying he'd be the next Antonio Gates, but he's certainly big and athletic enough to at least make an effective runblocker. The guy is possibly the greatest physical specimen of any Huggins Bearcat, and that's saying something...(well, maybe Rod Monroe, who was an NFL TE, and Eric is more athletic than Rod).

[quote name='Master Shake' post='202646' date='Jan 12 2006, 01:52 PM']Also...any chance we give Eric Hicks a tryout? I'm not saying he'd be the next Antonio Gates, but he's certainly big and athletic enough to at least make an effective runblocker. The guy is possibly the greatest physical specimen of any Huggins Bearcat, and that's saying something...(well, maybe Rod Monroe, who was an NFL TE, and Eric is more athletic than Rod).[/quote]

It's a thought. I thought the very same thing in jest a few years ago when Gates had his breakthrough. Hicks certainly has the body and athletic ability and no one questions his desire. But unfortunately there is way to it than just that. Still the idea intrigues me.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Master Shake' post='202646' date='Jan 12 2006, 01:52 PM']Also...any chance we give Eric Hicks a tryout? I'm not saying he'd be the next Antonio Gates, but he's certainly big and athletic enough to at least make an effective runblocker. The guy is possibly the greatest physical specimen of any Huggins Bearcat, and that's saying something...(well, maybe Rod Monroe, who was an NFL TE, and Eric is more athletic than Rod).[/quote]

possibly. Some scouts think Hicks could be a late first round pick like Maxiell though, so it may depend on which opportunity would be better for him.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='202646' date='Jan 12 2006, 01:52 PM']Also...any chance we give Eric Hicks a tryout? I'm not saying he'd be the next Antonio Gates, but he's certainly big and athletic enough to at least make an effective runblocker. [b]The guy is possibly the greatest physical specimen of any Huggins Bearcat[/b], and that's saying something...(well, maybe Rod Monroe, who was an NFL TE, and Eric is more athletic than Rod).[/quote]

Remember Curtis Bostic? That guy was cut like a greek statue. Danny Fortson wasn't bad either (he has since gained a lot of weight in the NBA).

Archived