NFL Draft moving to Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall to host 2006 NFL Draft -- and maybe more
Jan. 11, 2006
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

We know that University of Texas quarterback Vince Young will enter this year's NFL draft, but do we know where that draft will be? We do now.

It remains in New York City, though it is expected to move to its third venue in three years -- with Radio City Music Hall, minus the Rockettes, the likely destination. Though nothing is official, sources confirmed the NFL is negotiating a one-year deal with Radio City Music Hall to host the April 29-30 draft.

The draft last year took place at the Javits Convention Center in New York and was held at Madison Square Garden in April 2004.

It is not certain what the draft's future is beyond this year, though it is expected to stay in New York. There had been talk of moving the annual event to other cities, but plans were discarded in favor of keeping it in Manhattan.

Radio City Music Hall is owned by Cablevision Systems Corp., a media giant whose president, James Dolan, battled the New York Jets over a proposed West Side stadium for the NFL club. That dispute forced the league, which stood behind the Jets, to abandon Madison Square Garden for the Javits Center.

Cablevision also owns Madison Square Garden.

But the stadium deal fell through, and the NFL and Dolan appear to be at peace again. That has led some to speculate that Madison Square Garden could re-emerge as a future site for the draft, possibly after this year.

But don't rule out Radio City Music Hall. Initial feedback from those familiar with the building has been so enthusiastic some persons within the league office believe it's possible the draft could stay there -- provided, of course, a deal is completed, and the NFL office is satisfied with its operation.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='202915' date='Jan 12 2006, 10:25 PM']Anyone planning on attending this? NY is a 4-5 hour trip for me but this might be fun.

Anyone ever attended it? What's it like?[/quote]
The first round would be great to watch, the second and third rounds probably not so much. A lot of sitting around waiting for a teams pick to come in. I can't even imagine attending the draft on the second day.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='202915' date='Jan 12 2006, 10:26 PM']Anyone planning on attending this? NY is a 4-5 hour trip for me but this might be fun.

Anyone ever attended it? What's it like?[/quote]

Jamie, I live in NYC and actually was at the Javitz Center last year. It was freaking awesome. I get obsessed w/ the draft and study every player no matter if the Bengals are interested or not. I think the ENTIRE first day ran about 10+ hours and I only got up once after the Bengals took Pollack to grab something to eat. It was fun and everyone there really knows there football. Everyone I sat around was eager to talk and analyze each pick. Jets and Giants fans are pretty annoying but for the most part they just taunt each other which makes for some good laughs. I'd def. suggest anyone who enjoys watching it to make the trip. My only words of caution are to make sure you get there EARLY to claim your tickets. First come, first serve. Last year there were two rooms. The actual draft room you see on TV and a secondary room w/ just tons of TVs and a stage for contests and stuff. Obviously, you want to be in the draft room. I was able to land tickets in the draft room and it was great. I plan on attending this April as well. If you need any details/directions/help or anything at all you can PM me.

Archived