Reds Sold! :)

VonBlade

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
January 19, 2006

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Baseball owners unanimously approved the sale of the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday to a group headed by produce mogul Robert Castellini.

Carl Lindner, the 86-year-old Cincinnati financier who owned the franchise since DeWitt, had three potential buyers whose offers were roughly the same but chose Castellini largely because of his local ties. Lindner will remain a minority partner.

Terms weren't announced, but Castellini's group is said to be acquiring about 70 percent ownership of a franchise worth an estimated $270 million.

The Castellini family founded a shipping company along the Ohio River in 1896, 27 years after the Cincinnati Red Stockings became baseball's first professional team. Today, the company is one of the largest shippers of fruit and vegetables in the United States.

Castellini chose not to discuss his acquisition of the team on Thursday. He saved his comments for a news conference at Great American Ballpark on Friday.

"Mr. Castellini wanted his first comments to be live and in public before the fans of Cincinnati," Castellini spokesman Joe Bride said. "He wanted to talk directly to the fans of Cincinnati from Cincinnati."

The new ownership group includes brothers William Jr. and Thomas Williams. Castellini and the Williams brothers were part of fellow Cincinnati resident Bill Dewitt Jr.'s ownership group of the St. Louis Cardinals.

I don't think the other owners were in a hurry to get new management that wants to "win now" approved until after all the good FA's were signed up. That made the Reds one less team to deal with when bargaining with a FA. Which is what the Reds have been since they signed Griffey. I am not a Griffey hater, but ever since he and Larkin signed those huge deals, the team took a decided route against free agent spending.

this is definitely great news... i also love this little blurb

"Castellini, 64, is still involved in his produce business but intends to spend a great deal of time resurrecting the Reds"

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060119&content_id=1298106&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin[/url]

I AM FUCKING EXSTATIC!!!!!!!!!!!

"I want to make a promise today to Reds fans wherever you are -- a promise from one fan to another -- we will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati. This is just our first day on the job. From this moment forward, we will work toward that dream, and will not rest until we exceed the expectations of our fans."

"We were fortunate to have had many people with Cincinnati ties express interest in joining the ownership group. Completing our group of owners is a most impressive list of accomplished business and civic leaders -- all of whom are passionate about the Reds. Because Major League Baseball has not yet completed approval, we are unable to single any out at this time. Within a few weeks, a list of our partners will be disclosed."

"That's where we want to be. We're buying the Reds to win. Anything else is unacceptable. We will not rest until we are putting a contender on the field ... year in and year out.

Our first step will be to create one of the most respected organizations in baseball. We'll forge a winning attitude and culture. We'll ensure that the best people are in the right roles with the resources to win.

To do this, we are going to change the management structure by separating responsibility for the business operation and the baseball operation. This will allow our people to focus on delivering the best possible results in their areas of responsibility.

I will serve as chief executive officer, with both groups reporting to me. I'm happy to announce that John Allen has agreed to stay with us as chief operating officer to head our business operation. Our general manager and head of baseball operations, Dan O'Brien, also will report directly to me.

Second, we'll have a competitive budget. We'll operate this year with a budget in the $60-65 million range, comparable to last year. There are very successful teams with comparable budgets. For example the White Sox, Astros and Athletics. Two of those three teams were in the World Series last year.

Or, Cleveland, who finished two games out of the playoffs, only had two-thirds of our budget. Most importantly, we will invest our budget opportunistically and strategically. Our experience as owners with other franchises has proven that it's not so much what you spend -- it's how you spend that's most important.

As we build our organization, we'll likely do some other things differently once we get our sleeves rolled up. I intend to work out of the Reds offices on a daily basis until I have an insider's understanding of how we work -- what we're doing well and what we can do better.

I'm sure there are other issues and personnel matters that you have specific questions about. We don't have all the answers yet. It's our first day. But we're moving quickly. We met with all the Reds front office and operations staff and talked with our manager and coaches to discuss our plans and hit the ground running. Spring Training opens in 27 days, and we will be ready.

Third, we're also going to increase our community involvement. We are big believers in giving and will work to make the Reds Community Fund more visible and impactful than ever.

Along those lines, we'll also be reaching out more aggressively to our fans in this city, the region and throughout the nation. We will be visible within the community...telling our story and strategy. Our goal is to make the fans in Reds Nation feel a part of the baseball experience and our communications will be timely, transparent and truthful to foster this sense of pride and passion through understanding.

And, as I told employees this morning, we will work to make the experience at Great American Ball Park even more memorable. Kids and adults will want to be here. This is baseball. This is fun. And it should be fun for everyone, whether you're an associate, a player or a fan. And just as I'm proud to be a Reds owner, I am proud to be a Reds fan.

I want our fans to be proud and passionate about being Reds fans. Look for Reds employees in the stands periodically asking for your opinion on how we can make being at the ballpark a memorable experience.

The bottom line is that we are not going to rest until our fans are happy. My wife, Susie, has a pillow in our living room. Stitched right into that pillow is the phrase, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

In our Reds organization, if our fans ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

That is going to be our driving force.

We will create a winning team worthy of the unwavering loyalty of our fans.

We are America's first professional baseball team. We believe that once again we will be the best. We've seen how a winning organization shines a national spotlight on our community and our region. That's what this community deserves.

I thank you all for this opportunity.

We look forward to bringing championship baseball home for all of us.

Thank you."

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060120&content_id=1298629&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin[/url]

Guest oldschooler

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img] Damn he sure sounds convincing ! :headbang:

There is a new article from Reds.com about him...

[quote][b][size=5]New owners determined to field winner[/size][/b]
[size=3][b]Castellini, Williams brothers formally introduced Friday[/b][/size]
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- A lifelong -- but disenchanted -- Reds fan tired of watching losing teams, businessman Robert Castellini finally decided to do something about it.
Two years ago, he didn't renew his luxury box at Great American Ball Park.

This week, Castellini officially became the majority owner of the oldest franchise in baseball.

The sale of the Reds from Carl Lindner to his group was unanimously approved by Major League Baseball on Thursday. Permitted to speak for the first time publicly since beginning the process in November, the 64-year-old shared his vision for the team Friday afternoon.

"We're buying the Reds to win," said Castellini from a podium near ownership partners Thomas and Joe Williams. "Anything else is unacceptable. We will not rest until we are putting a contender on the field, year in and year out."

Cincinnati has posted five consecutive losing seasons and last reached the postseason in 1995. The club was 73-89 and finished fifth in the National League Central Division in 2005.

How long did Castellini believe it would take to turn things around?

"Our goal is to put a contender on the field this year," he said. "We're going to be a better team than people think we are. All that withstanding, we were chosen last in our division. We're going to be better than that. We very much hope to have a contender on the field."

Eager to put his thumbprint on the club as its chief executive officer, Castellini did some reorganizing in the front office by separating the baseball and business sides. He announced that chief operating officer John Allen would remain to head the business operations. In a pledge to fans, he promised no ticket price increases from last season and that the club would increase its community visibility.

Castellini also plans to upgrade the team's scouting and Minor League development system.

Instead of reporting to Allen, as he had done since becoming general manager in late 2003, Dan O'Brien will now report directly to the new owner.

"It's real evident that he's genuinely passionate and really cares about this team and this city," O'Brien said. "That can only mean good things for this franchise."

With less than a month until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training, Castellini wasn't expecting any major roster shakeups. But, it didn't mean that ways to improve weren't being explored.

"We'd sure like to have either a closer or top-notch starting pitcher for our rotation," Castellini said. "We're out there looking every day. Most of these people are not available anymore. We'd have to do it through trades. Most of the teams want our good young position players. It's going to be difficult, but it's not for lack of trying."

The Reds plan to give O'Brien an estimated payroll of $60-65 million to work with in the upcoming season. Castellini also indicated he wasn't afraid to put aside economics in favor of winning.

"If the occasion calls for it," Castellini said. "If we're into the middle of July and we're a contender, we're going to have to go with it and bite the bullet. That would be an example. Are we going to try and do that early on? No. We're going to stick to our budget."

"Winning is the priority," O'Brien said. "There's no doubt he'll be supportive in achieving that goal."

Castellini also answered a burning question on the minds of many -- What role may Lou Piniella have with the Reds? During his imposed silence earlier in the offseason, Castellini was spotted having lunch with the former Reds manager. Piniella resigned from his managing job with the Devil Rays after last season.

"I wanted Lou to come up here in the worst way as a special advisor," Castellini said. "He promised me, if I asked him to, he'd come down to Spring Training. He's just a terrific guy. He will not be with us this year."

The new ownership group, which purchased about 70 percent of a Reds team reportedly valued at $270 million, has a long history in baseball. Castellini, a magnate in the fruit and vegetable industry, was previously a minority holder in the Rangers and Orioles in the 1980s and 90s. He was a minority stakeholder in the Cardinals until this year, along with the Williams brothers, whose father was a general partner on the Reds from 1966-82.

"For Tom and myself, it's an extremely special day to be able to be involved with the Cincinnati Reds franchise as my father and uncle were at one time," Joe Williams said. "We only hope to be as successful."

Castellini provided immediate indication he will be a hands-on and passionate owner. He has taken office in Great American Ball Park and plans to be actively involved.

"We didn't get involved with the Reds to wallow in mediocrity," Castellini said. "If that's all we have to offer, we shouldn't be hanging around. We're going to give it 110 percent to put a contender on the field."[/quote]

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060120&content_id=1298775&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin[/url]

I'm not as thrilled yet.

The key statement for me was that our payrol won't go up, and they will run the Reds to break even. As fans come out, and revenue goes up, payrol will go up. This is no different than what Lindner did. I want an owner who will invest money up front to field a winning product and bring out the fans.

I know we could spend our money better, but in the era of guaranteed contracts, we can't make up for past mistakes. We are stuck overpaying for Milton.

Unless he is willing to sink more money into the team now, I don't see any improvement for a few years. We don't have the minor league pitching talent to make an impact anytime soon.

Archived