First Strike rule/pitch limit gone in farm system

Ben

Hal McCoy, Dayton Daily News
For those Dayton Dragons fans wondering about the edict imposed last year that hitters must take a strike before they can swing, well, that rule went down swinging with the departure of Cincinnati Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien.
Reds manager Jerry Narron, speaking Thursday to the Dayton Agonis Club, brought it up without being asked and said, "On taking a first strike, I guarantee that it is out. Learning the strike zone and not taking strikes is important in the development of our hitters."
Dayton fans, and most Reds staffers, were strongly against the rule imposed by the recently fired O'Brien.
In addition, Narron said the Dragons won't be saddled with a 75-pitch limit for their starters. That rule forced the club to use two "starting pitchers" in piggy-back fashion last year.
"You do need some pitch limits on young arms, but you also have to build up arm strength and you do that by throwing," Narron said. "We will let 'em pitch."

Guest bengalrick
great news... that was the stupidest rule in the world... after that, you only get 2 more strikes, and the pitcher still has 4 balls to waste... and you don't learn the strike zone... if o'brien would have been in cincy longer, we would have felt some bad effects of a shitty policy like that...

i guess the "pitch to hit" policy is going to be gone too... thank God...

This is the first I've heard of this. :blink:

The first pitch, the hitter is looking for a fastball in a pre-selected zone; if it's there swing.

Of course, there are exceptions to this rules, runners on base, pitcher getting wild.

but the bottom line, that's up to the Field Manager. Damn glad O'Brien is gone.

Archived