Dunn signs 2 year deal

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Reds, Dunn agree to 2-year deal
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

New Cincinnati Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky continues to be a man of quick and decisive actions, this time signing first baseman Adam Dunn Monday to a two-year contract with a club option for a third year.

The agreement wipes out an arbitration hearing originally scheduled for Friday in which Dunn was asking for $8.95 million for this season and the club was offering $7.1 million.

Instead, Dunn will receive $7.5 million this year and $10.5 million next year. The 2008 club option is for $13 million with a $500,000 buyout.

Dunn, 26, is moving from left field to first base after last season becoming the first player in franchise history to record 100 RBI, 100 runs and 100 walks in two separate seasons.

Last year, Dunn played 160 of 162 games, despite a hairline fracture in his right hand, and hit .247 with 40 homers and 101 RBI. He had 46 homers and 102 RBI in 204.

"I'm not letting any grass grow under my feet," Krivsky said with a laugh. He flew home to Arlington, Texas on Sunday night, but Dunn was on his mind.

"Getting him signed was an absolute priority," he added. "It has been weighing on my mind since I took over (Thursday) and I worried I wasn't spending enough time on it."

But Krivsky and Dunn's agent, Greg Genske, began negotiations over the weekend and a deal was struck Monday evening.

"These few days have been unbelievable," Krivsky said. "How did we get it done so quickly? Good question. We were dealing with a reasonable agent who wanted to get something done as badly as the Reds wanted to get something done.

"What strikes you most about Dunn is his awesome raw power. He has as much raw power as anyone in the game. Plus he has plate discipline, draws his walks, won't go after pitches out of his zone. He is patient. He does strike out a lot and we'd like to see those cut down, but he'll be working on it."

During his wild, wild first days, Krivsky had his first encounter with Ken Griffey Jr., a phone call that went like this.

"Hello, this is Ken."

"Ken who?"

"Kenny from area code 407."

"You must have the wrong number?

"Who is this?"

"Wayne Krivsky, general manager of the Cincinnati Reds."

"Well, this is Ken Griffey Jr."

Griffey wasn't certain he had the right number and didn't want to acknowledge who he was until he was certain he had Krivsky.

"I was all wrapped up in calls about Dunn's contract and told Griffey I'd call him back," said Krivsky. "I called and apologized, but we both had a good laugh and a great talk."

Guest oldschooler
That`s great news !

I`m looking forward to Opening day more now than I have in years !

Here`s another article about it with a little more info...

[quote][size=5][b]Reds lock up Dunn for 2 years[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]$18M deal avoids arbitration[/b][/size]
BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

With an arbitration hearing date set for Friday, and a mutual desire to avoid it, the Reds and representatives for first baseman Adam Dunn had to act fast.

"We were relatively close right out of the chute," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky, who got involved soon after being hired last week. "I think both parties knew there was kind of a condensed timeframe here with the case coming up."

The sides reached an agreement Monday on a two-year, $18 million deal that includes a $13 million club option for 2008. The Reds can buy out the option for $500,000. The deal will pay Dunn $7.5 million this season and $10.5 million next season.

"I think the significance (of the deal) is ownership stepping up and giving authorization for us to make this kind of commitment to Adam," Krivsky said.

Dunn made $4.6 million last season. Regarding arbitration, the Reds had offered $7.1 million; Dunn countered at $8.95 million.

Negotiations apparently turned after Reds officials agreed that making a multi-year offer made the most sense. They then received approval from CEO Bob Castellini.

"Bob asked a lot of questions, challenged us to explain to him why this was the right thing to do," Krivsky said. "He signs the checks so he authorized us to make a certain offer, and we made it.

"I told (Dunn's representatives) it was coming straight from ownership, and we grinded away. They didn't take our first offer, and we didn't take theirs, but we worked at it."

Dunn could not be reached for comment .

The 26-year-old has averaged 43 home runs, 102 RBI, 106 runs, 111 walks and 182 strikeouts the past two seasons.

This spring he will be moving from left field to first base.

"(Dunn) combines that awesome raw power with a very selective hitting approach," Krivsky said. "He is some kind of force in the middle of the order. We're lucky to have him."

Dunn was the last arbitration-eligible Reds player.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060214/SPT04/602140384/1071"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../602140384/1071[/url]

yeah dunn was supposed to be cutting down on those strikeouts last year too... but that didnt work out so hot.

either way... its was a deal that had to be done... and Krivsky got it done. i love this man.

said it the other day and ill restate my oppinion... i love the direction the team is headed more and more as the days go by.

i knew id be "excited" for the reds season to come around but now im legitimatly excited and looking foward to the season... not just for baseball but becasue we are making the right kind of moves and we might be playing some competetive ball later into the season than in years past.

im pumped.

Archived