Reds add Rhodes, McCracken

Jason

I went to high school with Rhodes. We both graduated in 1986. Although we didn't know each other that well. He certainly wouldn't remember me, even though I was sports editor of the school paper that year.

Reds add Rhodes, McCracken
West Hi product 'Tuffy' comes home after power stint in Japan
BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes and Ken Griffey Jr. gained notice two decades ago as the area's top high school baseball prospects.

Professional careers led each away from Cincinnati before bringing them home to the Reds.

Griffey's homecoming came six years ago.

Rhodes' came Tuesday when the Reds signed him and fellow veteran outfielder Quinton McCracken to minor-league contracts with invitations to major-league spring training.

"We're giving (Reds manager) Jerry (Narron) a few more choices to pick from and strengthen his bench," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "That's what it's all about, especially in the National League."

A Western Hills High product, who is 37 years old, Rhodes spent the past 10 years playing in Japan, where he hit 360 home runs in 1,316 games and became a celebrity. While with the Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes in 2001, he hit 55 home runs to tie Sadaharu Oh's single-season record.

"We certainly know his track record and his statistics," Krivsky said. "He's a little bit of an unknown from a scouting standpoint."

Houston selected Rhodes in the third round (68th overall) of the 1986 draft, and he went on to play 225 major-league games with the Astros, Cubs and Red Sox from 1990-95. Rhodes spent the past two seasons with the Yomiuri Giants and batted .267 with 72 home runs and 169 RBI.

"We decided to reach out and see if he wanted to come down and have a chance to make the club," Krivsky said.

"We're excited about that," Krivsky added. "I think the fact that he's a Cincinnati native had something to do with this."

McCracken, who'll be 36 in August, will make $600,000 if he makes the team out of spring training.

"He's a guy that can play all three outfield positions, a switch-hitter, can run a little bit," Krivsky said. "We like him as a guy to compete for one of those extra outfield spots since he can play all three."

As the only non-roster player to make the Diamondbacks' opening day roster last season, McCracken hit .237 with a .312 on-base percentage in 215 at-bats. His 19 pinch hits were a career high and matched Arizona's franchise record.

McCracken has played in 954 games with five teams. One of those stops, in 2001, was in Minnesota where Krivsky worked as assistant GM.

"He's a tremendous person - a top-notch, quality human being," Krivsky said.

i think this is probably the third time in the past week i've said this... but again, i LOVE the direction krivsky is taking the team.

these two players will definatly breed some competition in spring training and add depth and options for narron to work with. i like it.

Archived