Reds need to borrow from the Indians' blueprint

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Reds need to borrow from the Indians' blueprint[/b][/size]

Posted: February 15, 2006

The Reds' role model is about 250 miles northeast of Cincinnati, playing in the same state and in a similar market. The Indians rebuilt by improving their farm system and trading veteran stars for younger, cheaper players.

New Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky should follow their example, and his hiring is an indication that new owner Bob Castellini is willing to take the bold and painful steps necessary to revive the franchise.

Krivsky, 51, spent the past 10 years with the Twins, a low-revenue club even more accomplished than the Indians. His experience provided ideal preparation for him to succeed with the Reds. Under G.M. Terry Ryan, the Twins succeeded in all the areas in which the Reds have failed in recent years: player development, payroll management, trades.

The solution for the Reds is not a series of shortsighted, headline-grabbing moves to appease a fan base frustrated with five straight losing seasons. No, the solution is to start over. The Reds are so pitching-thin, they're not going to compete in the N.L. Central anytime soon.

The timing of Krivsky's hiring puts him at a disadvantage. Between now and the July 31 nonwaiver deadline -- or at the very least, over the next year -- Krivsky should trade first baseman Adam Dunn, center fielder Ken Griffey and every other high-priced part possible.

The Astros, deep in young pitching, have long coveted Dunn. The return for Griffey wouldn't be nearly as significant, but the Reds would gain increased flexibility on a payroll expected to be about $60 million this season. The only players the Reds should sign long term are up-and-comers who would agree to club-friendly deals; shortstop Felipe Lopez and perhaps outfielder Wily Mo Pena would qualify.

Castellini surely doesn't want to move a slugger such as Dunn in one of his first acts, but the most visionary moves often are the least understood. Indians fans hated the trade of righthander Bartolo Colon to the Expos in June 2002. Yet, Cleveland's bounty included two eventual cornerstones, center fielder Grady Sizemore and lefthander Cliff Lee.

Indians G.M. Mark Shapiro made three other lopsided trades during that period, acquiring first baseman Ben Broussard, outfielder Coco Crisp and designated hitter Travis Hafner. The Reds don't have as many good prospects as the Indians did then; there is no C.C. Sabathia, Victor Martinez or Jhonny Peralta in their farm system. But Dunn is a chip every bit as valuable as Colon was in '02.

The Reds boast a proud history, a devoted fan base and a relatively new ballpark. Dan O'Brien, their former G.M., was correct in his belief that a turnaround will take time, but he was too passive in his approach. The most successful low-revenue teams combine patience and aggressiveness and constantly shuffle players in search of the greatest possible value. The Indians' recent trade of Crisp for a package headed by third base prospect Andy Marte was an example of such forward thinking. The Reds' signing Eric Milton as a free agent a year ago was not.

Krivsky is smart enough to understand the difference. If he does his job well, his transformation of the Reds initially will make fans confused, even angry. At times, it might even look like outright surrender.

But that's OK because the no-pain, no-gain concept applies. As the Indians' Shapiro can attest, the less popular Krivsky is in his first year, the better off the franchise might be.

Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com senior baseball writer. His Insider column is special to the Sporting News.[/quote]

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=62496"]http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=62496[/url]

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='The Scales' post='219109' date='Feb 16 2006, 10:11 AM']Ok...Dunn for Oswalt.[/quote]

i would love for that to happen. We would instantly become a contender. We have plenty of bats so losing Dunn wouldnt hurt nearly as much as it would improve us from getting Ozzy.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='dieselman44' post='219286' date='Feb 16 2006, 08:23 PM']Dunn for Rich Harden[/quote]

na, harden isnt consistent enough and i think he will lose his shit in a couple of seasons at most.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='219362' date='Feb 17 2006, 01:54 AM'][quote name='dieselman44' post='219286' date='Feb 16 2006, 08:23 PM']
Dunn for Rich Harden[/quote]

na, harden isnt consistent enough and i think he will lose his shit in a couple of seasons at most.
[/quote]

2.53 ERA in 22 starts in the American League last year and he's not consistent? i understand he may not be as good as oswalt but i wouldnt want to trade Dunn to somebody in our division and face him for the next 10 years.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='219364' date='Feb 17 2006, 02:08 AM'][quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='219362' date='Feb 17 2006, 01:54 AM']
[quote name='dieselman44' post='219286' date='Feb 16 2006, 08:23 PM']
Dunn for Rich Harden[/quote]

[/quote]

2.53 ERA in 22 starts in the American League last year and he's not consistent? i understand he may not be as good as oswalt but i wouldnt want to trade Dunn to somebody in our division and face him for the next 10 years.
[/quote]

Fuck it.

Roy O would wiff dunn repeatedly.

[quote name='jake2bake4' post='220588' date='Feb 20 2006, 07:39 PM']Yeah exactly...I was all for trading casey but not to the damn pirates. I promise he hits .350 with 20+ RBI's against us this year.[/quote]

Now you gotta factor all the double plays we are going to turn because of him...seee??? win, win for us!~!!!!!

aside....

indians are playing the Reds Last season...Furball is on WLW doing pregame or extra innings and taking calls. This indian fan calls up to conversate defending his team, you know he sounded like a true, humble fan who was knowledgeable about his team. And Furball pastes this guy, "The Indians stink!" oh "The Reds will make the Playoff before the tribe"....blah, blah, he started acting hostile for no reason, you know how he does, raise the voice volume, " I'll huff and i'll puff and i'll blow your house down.

Whats my damn point?

Furman can be a tool, but i still enjoy him.....mostly.

I've been spouting the same thing for a while. The Indians have had success by giving away some big names now, to get real talent for the future. Luckily for them Shapiro has been spot on, on evaluating talent. I think this recent Coco Crisp deal will also work out well for them. The Indians are a model organization for how to get things done on low budget, although if they would shell out a little more cash, they could actually be W.S. contenders.

Archived