Griffey motors into Reds training camp

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Griffey motors into Reds training camp[/b][/size]
[b][size=3]Slugger excited to represent U.S. in World Classic[/size][/b]
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. | It's the same parking spot every spring, occupied by the same person, but the vehicles change — sometimes daily.

"The best part of spring training is coming to camp to see what Ken Griffey Jr. is driving," Reds team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek said.

This year it is a 500-horsepower turbo Porsche, "And I'm down to one car," said Griffey.

Things officially start for the Cincinnati Reds when Griffey cruises into camp. He arrived Thursday, one of only two position players to show up. Ryan Freel beat him.

Only pitchers and catchers were required in camp Thursday, but Griffey strolled in late in the morning and immediately opened stacks of cardboard boxes that always await him, including one box that contained eight pairs of Nike shoes.

After opening the shoe box, Griffey grabbed one of his black Louisville Sluggers, and within seconds wrapped white tape around the handle in his unique way and said, "I can do this in my sleep."

For the first time in years, Griffey comes to camp from his Orlando, Fla., home instead of a rehab center after major surgery or a major injury. The 36-year-old center fielder did shut it down last September, but it was for minor knee surgery after an ankle injury prevented him from playing.

Griffey is so healthy he plans to leave camp the first week of March to join the U.S. team in Phoenix for the World Baseball Classic. And he plans to play, although many who said they would play have backed out.

"I didn't get a chance to do stuff like this when I turned pro (out of Cincinnati Moeller High School)," he said. "I didn't go to college, so I never got a chance to represent my country. I want to represent my country. Leaving to go play somewhere else without my teammates is going to be weird, though."

Griffey is the only member of the Reds on the U.S. team, but catcher Javier Valentin and shortstop Felipe Lopez are expected to play for Puerto Rico, outfielder Wily Mo Pena for the Dominican Republic and second baseman Frank Menechino for Italy.

New general manager Wayne Krivsky arrived in camp Thursday about the same time as Griffey and introduced himself to the Reds star as he chatted with the media.

Krivsky was impressed listening to Griffey talk and said later, "I'd heard that he is a good guy and that a lot of people misunderstand him."

Said Griffey, "I'd only talked to Krivsky for about 10 minutes on the phone and to (new owner) Bob Castellini on the phone for about 15 minutes. Mostly just some quick hellos.

"This is an adjustment period," Griffey added. "It is good that they're getting some of the younger players (Adam Dunn) locked up for a couple of years with contracts."

At one time late last season, Griffey was the oldest position player on the team, but what Krivsky has done quickly brought a smile to his face.

"He signed Tuffy Rhodes (37) and a bunch of older pitchers (Rick White, Chris Hammond), so I'm moving down the age list," he said. "We have a good mixture of young players and veterans and we could surprise a lot of people."

Even though he is coming to camp ready to play, Griffey said the club is going to let him work at his own speed to get himself ready to play, "But right from the start, I plan to hit, run and throw. The best thing is that all I have to do this spring is get into baseball shape."

And drive carefully in his 500-horsepower Porsche.[/quote]

Archived